PDA

View Full Version : Weather Damage

dukester
September 10th, 2013, 01:14
hello everyone, I am currently running a homebrew PF campaign with some friends. They are fixing to cross a vast desert. I have read the rulebook for weather damage but if one of my player's has fire resistance 5, would that take into effect for the heat? Would the same thing be said about cold resistance 5 and having the being trapped in a blizzard?

Malkavian_Andi
September 10th, 2013, 02:42
Yes, while the damage from heat/cold is nonlethal, it's still fire/cold damage, so resistance will apply. Normally, it's 1d6 damage, so with resistance 5, there's still a small chance to suffer some damage for the character.
Once a character has enough resistance against the appropriate element to fully resist maximum damage from the weather, that character could run around with as little protection as he/she likes. ;)

Nickademus
September 10th, 2013, 06:01
Mind you, the first time the character takes 6 damage (resulting in 1 nonlethal fire damage), he/she becomes fatigued from heatstroke. So it might still be worth it to take precautions even if the damage is minimal.

kleamovich
September 10th, 2013, 21:43
If you have the book Frostburn (from 3.5) I would suggest reading up on that for other ideas not listed above. Even though this book is dealing with more of your later part of the post, about the blizzard situation. Also in case you didn't know that the non-lethal damage taken from the weather related elements - I know this is true for the cold - cannot be healed until taking the time to get out of the elements. So they act as a temporary health lose to total.

Malkavian_Andi
September 10th, 2013, 22:25
Also in case you didn't know that the non-lethal damage taken from the weather related elements - I know this is true for the cold - cannot be healed until taking the time to get out of the elements. So they act as a temporary health lose to total.Yes, it's the same for heat. But it doesn't say that it can't be healed. You simply cannot recover from it, which I think means you can't get the HP back with natural healing. A Cure spell would still work (although the damage would just keep coming back if the character doesn't leave the element).