PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a Question from a new CK

Kona
September 6th, 2013, 04:33
I have just started using this program and Ruleset after a good 20 years break from Tabletop Gaming. I was looking for something easy, familiar and intuitive and chose C&C. I have been a DM since 1984 but stopped playing AD&D after College.

We are still blowing the rust off but I feel there is great potential here for fun.

I do have a couple of questions though if someone would be so kind to answer.

1. Is there a party sheet for C&C? I can not seem to find one for the life of me.
2. Is there a Different UI skin I can use that more clearly labels the tabs on the side for ease of use? I prefer words to pics and find the colour palette a bit underwhelming.

Thanks for your time.

Kona

dr_venture
September 6th, 2013, 07:27
Hey Kona, welcome! I'm betting you'll have a blast with both C&C and FG! You've joined in at an auspicious time, as we're on teh way to releasing a new, greatly updated version of both the C&C ruleset and FG, both of which I believe you'll be receiving for free in the coming months. The bad news is that there isn't a Party Sheet for the current C&C ruleset, nor a different theme (that I know of). The UI was a real sore spot for me, and it was the first thing I learned to change in FG - ugh...

The good news is that both issues are remedied in the new ruleset that is currently being tested. Smiteworks is tentatively planning on a November release, and you'll find your C&C world *much* improved, with a party sheet, draggable inventory items, rollable tables... just all kinds of improvements, big and small. If you can limp through until then, your existing campaign with the current ruleset should just import right into the new ruleset with a minimum of fuss.

As for the new UI, that's my department - this is an image of an older version of the development ruleset, but you can get a good idea of what it'll look like here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4065&d=1364958076

Good luck, and be sure to check in here with any questions or comments. Glad to have you aboard :)

Andraax
September 6th, 2013, 13:34
The bad news is that there isn't a Party Sheet for the current C&C ruleset, nor a different theme (that I know of).

Themes are pretty easy to package as an extension. Let me look around for a set of icons that uses words instead of pictures and see what I can whip up today.

Kona
September 6th, 2013, 19:16
Hey guys thanks for the response. Dr. Venture, I am looking forward to the new release those features will be a great addition. That UI looks great.

Andraxx.. don't go through too much trouble my friend I suspect you may have better things to do. I just find that I have to explain which button is which a lot to the players, which should lessen over time since we are only 2 weeks in, with the New UI coming I can wait.

Cheers

Kona

Andraax
September 6th, 2013, 21:05
Andraxx.. don't go through too much trouble my friend I suspect you may have better things to do. I just find that I have to explain which button is which a lot to the players, which should lessen over time since we are only 2 weeks in, with the New UI coming I can wait.

Too late. Here it is. CnC Text Icons (https://goo.gl/LnzKlx)

dr_venture
September 6th, 2013, 21:25
You da man, Andraax - I'd give you more reputation, but the forums says that I can't right now... but it's the thought that counts, right?

Kona
September 6th, 2013, 23:29
Thanks Andraxx. Rep incoming.

I am quite Happy to finally get FG to work. For nearly 2 years I could not get folks to connect nor could i connect to the server when i tested, but for some reason it finally worked. My players are quite pumped.. well as pumped as guys in their 40's can get..lol.

damned
September 7th, 2013, 09:10
us 40 somethings can get pretty pumped - its just not a very pretty sight.

Andraax
September 7th, 2013, 17:17
Making those kind of tweaks to the UI is trivial. The hard part was the icons - I couldn't find any for the big ones (I stole the the little icons out of the Traveller ruleset), so I had to make them in Gimp.

Targas
January 15th, 2014, 08:52
Hey Kona, welcome! I'm betting you'll have a blast with both C&C and FG! You've joined in at an auspicious time, as we're on teh way to releasing a new, greatly updated version of both the C&C ruleset and FG, both of which I believe you'll be receiving for free in the coming months. The bad news is that there isn't a Party Sheet for the current C&C ruleset, nor a different theme (that I know of). The UI was a real sore spot for me, and it was the first thing I learned to change in FG - ugh...

The good news is that both issues are remedied in the new ruleset that is currently being tested. Smiteworks is tentatively planning on a November release, and you'll find your C&C world *much* improved, with a party sheet, draggable inventory items, rollable tables... just all kinds of improvements, big and small. If you can limp through until then, your existing campaign with the current ruleset should just import right into the new ruleset with a minimum of fuss.

As for the new UI, that's my department - this is an image of an older version of the development ruleset, but you can get a good idea of what it'll look like here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4065&d=1364958076

Good luck, and be sure to check in here with any questions or comments. Glad to have you aboard :)

The new UI looks alot more nicer. I just downloaded FG III and the 4th Ed. Ruleset of C&C, but it seems to be the old one ?
Is there any news on when an update might come ?

damned
January 21st, 2014, 08:27
Im not sure what you are after.

the difference between PHB4 and PHB5 is very minor.

There are no new changes to the ruleset planned jut yet. Once FG3 beds down there may be some enhancements but right now the current ruleset is pretty good.

Trenloe
January 21st, 2014, 10:05
The new UI looks alot more nicer. I just downloaded FG III and the 4th Ed. Ruleset of C&C, but it seems to be the old one ?
Is there any news on when an update might come ?
Make sure that when you load up for C&C campaign that the message in the chat window shows:

Castles and Crusades ruleset v3.0.1 for Fantasy Grounds.
Copyright 2013 Smiteworks USA, LLC.
Castles and Crusades is Copyright of Troll Lord Games.
If you don't see v3.0.1 then you are using the old one. Go to settings on the main screen of Fantasy Grounds and enter you FG website username and password so that the system knows you have purchased Castles and Crusades - then do an update to download the latest C&C ruleset.