PDA

View Full Version : Problems with FG

Rezwal
September 5th, 2013, 19:59
Hi Fellas

I have had some problems with FG. I have GMing several times now, and every time the players join and begin using the maps i have prepared, some technical issues stars to appear.
The most common symptoms are flickering of the map - especially the tokens. Most often the tokens disappear for a long time, typically until i zoom ind or out of the map. This hide and seek phenomenon is constant, which makes it quite tedious to play. I have just formatted my laptop and it is possible that i have missed some important drivers - but before i begin this search, i just wanted to hear if this was a common problem with a quick little fix

Thanks for your time
Rezwal

Andraax
September 5th, 2013, 20:06
Which ruleset?

Rezwal
September 5th, 2013, 20:14
Ah, my bad - I am playing Pathfinder :)

Trenloe
September 5th, 2013, 21:11
Try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX. This definitely sounds like a DirectX graphics issue.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2013, 21:12
Other users have found that turning off some advanced graphics card features, such as anti-aliasing had also helped.

Rezwal
September 5th, 2013, 23:31
Thanks Trenloe

I will let you know if it works

ddavison
September 6th, 2013, 03:13
Hello Rezwhal,

It doesn't sound like an issue that has been previously reported to us via support emails. If the graphics drivers don't solve it, can you provide additional info on the OS you are running on and what graphics cards you do have? If it is installed to run over WINE, then we have an option you can enable to make it work better with the translation of DirectX calls.

-ddavison

lachancery
September 7th, 2013, 19:06
The most common symptoms are flickering of the map - especially the tokens. Most often the tokens disappear for a long time, typically until i zoom ind or out of the map. This hide and seek phenomenon is constant, which makes it quite tedious to play. I have just formatted my laptop and it is possible that i have missed some important drivers - but before i begin this search, i just wanted to hear if this was a common problem with a quick little fix
I haven't experienced any graphical corruption in over a year - but back it was common when I was GMing with the Rolemaster ruleset. There had been many versions of FG and of the Rolemaster ruleset since.

My players regularly experience disapearing tokens in my weekly Kingmaker campaign. On the GM side, it always displays fine. I am pretty sure it has with the multiple image layer extension that I use in that game that is causing it though. Are you using that extension? I don't ever have disappearing token problems in the many other games I run without that extension.

Good luck!

Rezwal
September 12th, 2013, 15:19
Hello Rezwhal,

It doesn't sound like an issue that has been previously reported to us via support emails. If the graphics drivers don't solve it, can you provide additional info on the OS you are running on and what graphics cards you do have? If it is installed to run over WINE, then we have an option you can enable to make it work better with the translation of DirectX calls.

-ddavison

My group played yesterday again, but the problem have not been resolved. I tried to install new graphic drivers and directx but encountered some problems.
My OS is windows 8 and i have an "intel core HD graphics" graphic card on my laptop. The problem i encountered with this graphic card is that intel have not created drivers for windows 8. The drivers i have received are through windows updates and are 1 year old. By looking at dxdiag I can see that i have directx 11. I tried to install directx 9c after Trenloe mentioned it, but it does not seem to have made an impact on the problem.

As of now, i think the problem is caused by the graphic card. Either it is too insignificant or it just does not have the required updated drivers.

If you have any ideas then i am all ears

Edit: - i have also noticed that when i run a "localhost" on my server or when i am preparing my campaign, then no problems occur. It is weird.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2013, 15:30
Have you tried turning off "Anti aliasing" in the graphics card advanced settings/graphics card control panel?

Are you running the enhanced images (layers) extension?

Blacky
September 19th, 2013, 10:23
I never had purely display issues with FG. But one of my current players has them, screen or window flickering, black everywhere, and some weird things. Reverting to the last stable, Microsoft certified graphic driver for his hardware seems to have helped somewhat.

Rezwal
September 19th, 2013, 17:33
It sounds exactly like what i am experiencing. I will try and uninstall the drivers and find another version.

Trenloe: I have been searching for this function without luck. Perhaps my graphic card is too simple.

ddavison
September 21st, 2013, 01:28
It might be worth trying to turn on the "Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac" in the Fantasy Grounds setting window. Normally, this should be set to off for Windows users.