PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Categories

dulux-oz
September 5th, 2013, 17:16
Hi All,

A quick question to all the GMs out there - how do YOU use the Campaign Categories?

And by this I don't mean what steps do you take to change the Category Ribbon and/or Icon, I mean what purpose do they perform for YOU in YOUR campaigns?

What function do they fulfil for YOU?

I'm interested to know - and maybe pick up a new idea or two on their use inside a campaign.

Cheers

Griogre
September 5th, 2013, 18:25
Right now, in a non generic ruleset I don't think they are that useful. They only thing I do with them now is color code them to match the level of the module and put a module name on them so if you have multiple modules open you can tell which one is which.

In FG1 where the the GM had a lot fewer desktop buttons, like Story and NPC one you could use them to group story and NPC entries by encounter and narrative. However, the things that would have been most used as campaign categories became desktop buttons in their own right.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2013, 18:47
I use these quite a lot. For one-off games the categories will be used for things like frequently referenced material - I have the Pathfinder condition cards scanned in under 1 tab, Harrow Cards when I'm playing Carrion Crown, world maps, creature images, local maps, scenario maps - these will all be in modules.

For story entries I'll have separate sections for parts of the campaign I'm playing - geographical descriptions (towns, cities, counties/countries, etc.) all linked to shortcuts (pushpins) on the world/region maps, NPC descriptions, down to the individual entries for detailed locations linked again to shortcuts on the map - such as dungeon locations, town shops/inns, etc..

Griogre
September 5th, 2013, 19:33
These are good ideas, Trenloe. I'll admit I've gotten very minimalistic on what I put in FG these days.

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2013, 08:03
I typically run pre-printed adventures for my games. I use the categories to organize the material by module for easier lookup (images, handouts, maps, NPCs, encounters, etc.).

JPG