PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking/Moving the dice tower

ysabeau1
September 4th, 2013, 05:08
My players and I all agree that the position of the dice tower becomes very inconvenient during combat scenarios, or any time multiple windows are open. It would be much handier to place it close to the dice, or near the chat screen and away from that prime screen real estate in the bottom right. Is there any way to unlock and move the position of the dice tower? If not, is there a chat command to roll in the dice tower?

MOD EDIT: See post #3 for an extension that relocates the dice tower on the desktop to a new static location, post #7 for an extension that adds a slash command /tower that rolls a dice string to the tower and #16 for an extension that makes the dice tower movable. Note - #3 and #16 are not compatible - you need to run one or the other.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2013, 06:02
There's no option to move the dice tower, though it could be enabled through an extension if someone wants to put one together.

Also, you should throw on the wish list. (See sig)

Cheers,
JPG

Andraax
September 4th, 2013, 14:17
My players and I all agree that the position of the dice tower becomes very inconvenient during combat scenarios, or any time multiple windows are open. It would be much handier to place it close to the dice, or near the chat screen and away from that prime screen real estate in the bottom right. Is there any way to unlock and move the position of the dice tower? If not, is there a chat command to roll in the dice tower?

Give this extension a shot: 3.5E Move Dice Tower (https://goo.gl/R7ybZS)

ysabeau1
September 4th, 2013, 17:46
Andraax, thanks so much! That is much better! I hope that others players find this extension useful as well. Moon_Wizard, thank you for your response, and I did add it to the wishlist, which was really fun to read over. Lots of great ideas there!

ysabeau1
September 4th, 2013, 17:56
One of my players asks:

[I]Did anybody mention a way to simply macro it on the quick bar? i.e. something like editing the macro file and adding [hide] or [tower] to the actual roll? Changing the location helps, but it would still be nice to simply always roll perception checks/sneaks/disarm traps/etc. hidden.

I really don't have any programming background, so I thought I'd throw it out there in case somebody with more know-how has an easy answer.

--Ysabeau

Andraax
September 4th, 2013, 23:31
Andraax, thanks so much! That is much better! I hope that others players find this extension useful as well.

Actually, go ahead and download it again. I made a couple minor tweaks (mostly to prevent interference with other extensions, it should work the same). Just overwrite the existing one.

Andraax
September 5th, 2013, 14:26
One of my players asks:

[I]Did anybody mention a way to simply macro it on the quick bar? i.e. something like editing the macro file and adding [hide] or [tower] to the actual roll? Changing the location helps, but it would still be nice to simply always roll perception checks/sneaks/disarm traps/etc. hidden.

I really don't have any programming background, so I thought I'd throw it out there in case somebody with more know-how has an easy answer.

Here is an extension that creates a command, "/tower", that works like "/die" but rolls in the tower instead. 3.5E Chat to Tower (https://goo.gl/6NZYRW) You can put these rolls into the quick bar and roll into the tower with one keystroke. Applies modifiers if there are any in the box, just like dragging to the tower does.

Blackfoot
September 10th, 2013, 00:25
Another option might be to make it like the critical hit roll (where you hold shift while rolling damage).. where you hold down a key and then anything you clicked on the character sheet would be rolled in the tower.

ysabeau1
September 10th, 2013, 16:33
Andraax, that is just what my friend was asking for. Thank you so much! And Blackfoot, I love your idea. I love how responsive and involved everyone on the forum is.

ysabeau1
January 5th, 2014, 23:17
I wish I didn't have to ask, because I don't want to be needy, but I would love it if this extension became usable in 3.0...:) My players love it.

Andraax
January 5th, 2014, 23:31
Looks like I'll have some free time this coming week - I've put it on my schedule. :-)

ysabeau1
January 6th, 2014, 16:57
Wow...that is very generous of you.

Trenloe
January 6th, 2014, 17:13
Looks like I'll have some free time this coming week - I've put it on my schedule. :-)
Yes, that is very generous of you. :-)

One request... would you mind trying to make it compatible with FG 3.0 CoreRPG - then it should mean that most rulesets built on top of CoreRPG (3.5e, PFRPG, 4e, etc.) will take advantage of this useful extension. Thanks. :)

Andraax
January 6th, 2014, 17:23
One request... would you mind trying to make it compatible with FG 3.0 CoreRPG - then it should mean that most rulesets built on top of CoreRPG (3.5e, PFRPG, 4e, etc.) will take advantage of this useful extension. Thanks. :)

Well, of course; why would I do anything else? :D

Bidmaron
February 17th, 2014, 03:51
Andraax, any update on this? Looks like a very useful concept.

Dakadin
February 19th, 2014, 08:04
Andraax posted a version that moves it closer to the chat window in Post #3 of this thread and another version in Post #7 that allows using a slash command.

I put together an extension which will allow the dice tower to be unlocked and moved. This will allow you to put it where ever you want. It should work for any ruleset built using the CoreRPG as a base.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 10:59
I put together an extension which will allow the dice tower to be unlocked and moved. This will allow you to put it where ever you want. It should work for any ruleset built using the CoreRPG as a base.
Nice one! Added to the CoreRPG extension list: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

ysabeau1
February 19th, 2014, 14:11
As far as I know, neither of the other extensions have been updated to work with 3.0 update of Pathfinder for FG. My macro-addicted gamers are stll crying their eyes out that they can't use the /command to create a shortcut. :)

Trenloe
February 19th, 2014, 14:35
As far as I know, neither of the other extensions have been updated to work with 3.0 update of Pathfinder for FG. My macro-addicted gamers are stll crying their eyes out that they can't use the /command to create a shortcut. :)
In the extension.xml file within the extension, change the ruleset <name>3.5E</name> section to <name>PFRPG</name>

darrenan
May 17th, 2014, 18:56
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why the dice tower panel couldn't just be removed, and instead a fully movable dice tower be placed on the desktop at startup time? This would allow players to put it wherever they want.

Moon Wizard
May 18th, 2014, 02:13
Sounds like a good feature request. Please add to the wish list in my sig, and vote on your other favorite requests.

Cheers,
JPG

darrenan
May 18th, 2014, 18:10
Sure, will do. However, I guess my question was more along the lines of "would this be technically possible within the scope of an extension?" or are there other technical issues that require work beyond the scope of an extension?

Trenloe
May 18th, 2014, 18:20
Sure, will do. However, I guess my question was more along the lines of "would this be technically possible within the scope of an extension?" or are there other technical issues that require work beyond the scope of an extension?
See the "movable dice tower" extension in the Core RPG extensions thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

Generally, most rulesets have a sticky thread in their relevant forum - so if you're interested in what extensions have been written by the community you can usually find them there. For rulesets that are based on CoreRPG you can find generic extensions in the CoreRPG forum.

darrenan
May 18th, 2014, 18:39
Um, isn't this the thread for that extension? In any case, that extension doesn't make the dice tower movable, it just puts in a different fixed position. I was more interested in allowing players to drag the dice tower to whatever position they want it to be in.

Dakadin
May 18th, 2014, 18:42
Try the version I created in post #16: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19510-Unlocking-Moving-the-dice-tower&p=168743&viewfull=1#post168743

Trenloe
May 18th, 2014, 18:44
Um, isn't this the thread for that extension? In any case, that extension doesn't make the dice tower movable, it just puts in a different fixed position. I was more interested in allowing players to drag the dice tower to whatever position they want it to be in.
You very often have to look beyond the first few posts in longer thread. :)

The links in the sticky extension thread link directly to post #16 which is where Dakadin's extension is available which does allow the tower to be moved, as the author mentions above...

darrenan
May 19th, 2014, 05:26
Eeeeeeeeexcellent. Pardon my blindness fellas!

Trenloe
May 19th, 2014, 05:58
Eeeeeeeeexcellent. Pardon my blindness fellas!
No worries. :) I've updated the first post with info on the 3 different extension version in this thread.

EdwardS71
October 23rd, 2014, 14:02
Is this extension still working with the latest version of FG? If so then I am doing something wrong but cannot figure out what. I download this extension and added to my son's FG as he is the player. I placed it into the extensions folder, same folder as the Theme_Wood.ext and Theme_Dungeon.ext, however the tower will not move. I even added it into my extensions folder thinking, as the DM, that I might need it added too. Any idea as to why it isn't moving?

Yeap, if you were thinking that I was not enabling it then you are correct. :p

Trenloe
October 23rd, 2014, 15:13
Is this extension still working with the latest version of FG? If so then I am doing something wrong but cannot figure out what. I download this extension and added to my son's FG as he is the player. I placed it into the extensions folder, same folder as the Theme_Wood.ext and Theme_Dungeon.ext, however the tower will not move. I even added it into my extensions folder thinking, as the DM, that I might need it added too. Any idea as to why it isn't moving?

Yeap, if you were thinking that I was not enabling it then you are correct. :p
And you only need it in the extensions folder on the GM side. Once enabled for a campaign the players who connect will download the extension data and cache it locally for use in that campaign.