PDA

View Full Version : Sanctioned for PFS: Jade Regent Adventure Path

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 29th, 2013, 20:44
Hey Guys,

I don't know if you read it yet, but I just found out that the Jade Regent Adventure Path is legal for PFS now since just a few days!
https://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/pathfinderSociety

I just (!!!) happened to order the first few books last week, because my PFS Characters tend be to either passionate about Tian Xia or to be born and raised there themselves, so I thought it might be nice to buy them some sanctioned items from that books. So crap, I'm partially spoilered for the first two books, which I read simultany. Who could've thought that they would be sanctioned JUST NOW???
Anyway, I just wanted you guys to know about it. Maybe someone would like to DM those. (I admit I want to be a player for those very hard, because of what I just told you about my characters) All I can spoilerfree say about them is, that they have a marvelous story (the ones I read at least) and feature lots of cool loot for Ninjas, Monks and Samurai.
I stop reading those books right now until I actually played them.
Also, I do already miss the Lantern Lodge a lot. My Character was so going to get into Amaras pants!

Nickademus
August 29th, 2013, 21:19
I like this thread. Probably my favorite one yet...

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 29th, 2013, 21:27
It's invisible for SOME reason. Maybe I can start it anew.
Look at my recent posts! There it shows some text, but I don't know why it's not here.

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 29th, 2013, 21:42
So the original post began with
"Hey Guys, I don't know if you read it yet, but I just found out that the Jade Regent Adventure Path is legal for PFS now since just a few days!"
as you can read in my Profile activity. What followed was the Link: https://paizo.com/paizo/blog/tags/pathfinderSociety

Because this thread error pisses me off is why I'm not in the mood now to write to you AGAIN how much I'd like to play those and how well my characters would fit into this modules. The headline told you the most important news anyway...

Trenloe
August 29th, 2013, 22:06
Your first post needed moderation approval because you haven't posted that much on this site and it contained a link. This is all to reduce SPAM that we have experienced a lot when the new forum server went live.

silverace99
August 29th, 2013, 23:53
Remind me about Adventure Paths, they can get you beyond level 12?

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 29th, 2013, 23:54
Your first post needed moderation approval because you haven't posted that much on this site and it contained a link. This is all to reduce SPAM that we have experienced a lot when the new forum server went live.
Ah, I see. The Threat was available since I forgot the Link when I started it and then edited the text. (just wrote for your troubleshooting)
Well, thanks for approval then :)

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 29th, 2013, 23:58
Remind me about Adventure Paths, they can get you beyond level 12?
The sixt book of those is actualy playable with Characters up to Lvl 16 (and therefore able to get them on Lvl 17)
If not played in the Society Campaign, this Path is meant to bring Characters from Lvl 1 up to Lvl 15.

Trenloe
August 30th, 2013, 00:37
The levels for the PFS sanctioned portions of this adventure path are: 2-4, 5-7, 8-10, 10-12, 11-13 and 14-16.

lachancery
August 30th, 2013, 01:51
I like this thread. Probably my favorite one yet...
Haha! I bet it's because of the last sentence in that opening post... ;)

silverace99
August 30th, 2013, 02:08
And once you start an adventure path you are prohibited from playing any other scenarios right?

lachancery
August 30th, 2013, 02:20
And once you start an adventure path you are prohibited from playing any other scenarios right?
My understand is that it's not like a module. You can play the Adventure Path with a non-PFS character, and once the PFS sanctioned section is over, the GM will produce a chronicle sheet for a PFS character of your choice of the appropriate level.

Trenloe
August 30th, 2013, 02:43
My understand is that it's not like a module. You can play the Adventure Path with a non-PFS character, and once the PFS sanctioned section is over, the GM will produce a chronicle sheet for a PFS character of your choice of the appropriate level.
Or, you can treat the sanctioned section of each AP book just like a module - play only the sanctioned section under PFS module/AP rules with a valid PFS character. Just like PFS sanctioned modules once you start the module/AP portion you have to finish that portion with the came PC and that PC is "locked" into that module/AP part until it completes it or drops out without full rewards, and cannot play any other PFS game with that PC until it is unlocked.

All of this is covered in detail in Chapter 6 of the PFS Guide. Download for free here: https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4?Guide-to-Pathfinder-Society-Organized-Play

Nickademus
August 30th, 2013, 03:02
Haha! I bet it's because of the last sentence in that opening post... ;)

Actually, when I posted there wasn't an opening post. It was completely missing due to the moderation. I like invisible posts. Reminds me to purchase a scroll of invisibility. (Do you guys have those in the Store?)

Dragonmaster_Ben
August 30th, 2013, 11:09
In my understanding you cannot play a whole Adventure Path in a row if you use PFS rules, because the Tiers won't allow it.
If my Character starts the first module with Lvl 4, he will get 3 XP if I don't miss any game-session (since modules are way bigger than scenarios and have to take multiple sessions to play through) and eventually be Lvl 5, which would allow him to play the second module of the Path right afterwards. But after finishing this module he will only be Lvl 6, which means, he would be too low to start the third module of the path, which is Tier 8 - 10. So he would be bound to adventure elsewhere for a couple of sessions in order to continue the Adventure Path.
Right? Or do I talk nonsense here? I never played an Adventure Path before, it's just my understanding of the rules.

silverace99
August 30th, 2013, 14:39
In my understanding you cannot play a whole Adventure Path in a row if you use PFS rules, because the Tiers won't allow it.
If my Character starts the first module with Lvl 4, he will get 3 XP if I don't miss any game-session (since modules are way bigger than scenarios and have to take multiple sessions to play through) and eventually be Lvl 5, which would allow him to play the second module of the Path right afterwards. But after finishing this module he will only be Lvl 6, which means, he would be too low to start the third module of the path, which is Tier 8 - 10. So he would be bound to adventure elsewhere for a couple of sessions in order to continue the Adventure Path.
Right? Or do I talk nonsense here? I never played an Adventure Path before, it's just my understanding of the rules.

Huh. So if you play an adventure path, you actually probably want to start at the lowest level and play to the end if you want the whole story in order?

Trenloe
August 30th, 2013, 15:21
Huh. So if you play an adventure path, you actually probably want to start at the lowest level and play to the end if you want the whole story in order?
Just to be clear here - Only portions of an adventure path are sanctioned for PFS play. Usually a self contained dungeon/complex from each of the 6 books that can be played through in isolation. Do not expect to get the adventure path story from just playing the PFS sanctioned portions - you will be missing a lot of the backstory and most of the role-playing aspects of an AP.

If you want the full AP experience, play the full AP outside of PFS rules. Your GM can still give you PFS chronicle sheets for doing this, but they are treated like you played a PFS pregen and you can apply them to one of your PFS legal characters that is only playing in PFS games. It's a little bit complicated, I know. Please read through the section of the PFS guide I mentioned in a post above, this covers the whole aspect of adventure paths with PFS.

The main reasons that Paizo are doing this is that it opens up more higher tier scenarios for PFS characters and it attracts people who are playing adventure paths at home to look into PFS where they may not have in the past. Oh, and it sells more AP products! So don't expect the PFS sanctioned AP experience to be anywhere like playing the AP in full, or that there will be good links between the PFS sanctioned portions.