PDA

View Full Version : Help on a rules question

Talen
August 27th, 2013, 12:05
Looking for a hand in finding citation to a rule regarding los, loe, cover, concealment , etc. Assuming pc and goblin are in a room with a 2 story balcony, pc on floor, goblin on edge of balcony. PC tries to shoot goblin with arrow. Does pc have los and loe? Does goblin get cover? If he steps back does he get concealment? I remember seeing an illustration discussing this but can't seem to find it now.

Nickademus
August 27th, 2013, 13:12
If the PC can see any part of the goblin, it has loe and los. The goblin should get cover since the floor would block loe and los for at least half of its body. More or less than half of its body blocked would result in partial or improved cover. Concealment doesn't apply since it is used for things like fog where there is total loe but hindered los. If the goblin steps back, he will have total cover (assuming the PC can no longer see any of his body) and cannot be directly targeted anymore. Page 194 of the Core Rulebook of Pathfinder or here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover)on the d20 SRD for D&D 3.5e (don't know the page number) talks about cover and how to determine these things.

Mgrancey
August 31st, 2013, 01:15
As a GM I would also factor in the distance away from edge of balcony PC was and what style the balcony's railing is. If solid, more cover, if open less cover.

It would be easier to see and attack the goblin from farther away rather then closer. But yeah cover, personally I would probably use either AOE as they do go up and down with either spells or alchemical items.