PDA

View Full Version : Adding Modules to 2nd ed ruleset

Stilyagi
August 25th, 2013, 23:54
So, this might be an obtuse question, but I added the 2nd ed ruleset in (that is available here) and it doesn't have a monster or spell module attached to it...can I extract those mods from the 3.5 or 4th ed rulesets and tack them into the 2nd?

Better way to do it?

Thanks, in advance!

gmkieran
August 26th, 2013, 14:32
Stilyagi,

You probably *could* try using those modules in the 2e rule set (you'd have to, at minimum, edit the modules' .xml to get the 2e rule set to recognize them so they'd show up in a 2e campaign), but the differences in the stat blocks and creature capabilities from 2e to 3/3.5/4e is significant enough that they wouldn't really work. As always, I think we're up against WotC's copyright as far as sharing materials. I know Smiteworks can't distribute any of the source materials for 4e, which is why folks have created the various parsers that convert DDI content to FG .xml. Unfortunately, I don't know if anything similar exists for 2e or if you can get PDFs of the 2e books to run through a parser if there is one. You might check out this thread, if you haven't already: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18660-free-(and-legal)-supplement-with-AD-amp-D-convertable-content. Might be some other things in that forum, I didn't really search it.

Cheers!
GMK

leozelig
August 27th, 2013, 11:44
Allow me to recommend the OSRIC ruleset, which has both (although the monsters module is not complete). I also have my own module of many AD&D monsters for OSRIC.

I have used OSRIC for a couple years now I think, and it is great for AD&D games.

Stilyagi
August 28th, 2013, 13:03
I think we're going with OSRIC...I'm not sure I see the point in reinventing the wheel.

Maybe as a future project rhough...my son is 2 so I have 16ish years to finish the mods before he goes to college ;-)