PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Sound Files?

AstaSyneri
August 24th, 2013, 00:40
Hi!

Is there a way to push sound files to your players?

Trenloe
August 24th, 2013, 02:19
Not through Fantasy Grounds. If you are using a voice app like TeamSpeak you can use TS plugins to play music through the TS channel.

Nickademus
August 24th, 2013, 04:00
There is a ding that the player's turn action makes, so FG has sound capability. Is it possible when modifying a ruleset to include more sound files and have the lua or xml play them?

I realize that modifying a ruleset isn't what Asta was asking about. Just curious if it is an option.

Trenloe
August 24th, 2013, 05:16
Playing the "ding" is a specific command in the FG API, it does not allow specifying another audio file.

Playing audio is on the FG wishlist.

It has been discussed in the past, with concerns over upload time from the GM to the players and synching properly. We still see issues where players don't download maps properly due to network issues, so trying to do audio could cause additional load and sounds playing to different players at different times.

AstaSyneri
August 24th, 2013, 10:34
It's more a gimmick, I know. I had some sound bytes isolated for use in Let's Play videos and some of them are quite iconic ("Hasta la Vista, baby", for example) and would fit well.

But last night I had a guy from my EVE alliance walk me through setting up a second channel for TS that now pushes my Media Player output through a virtual microphone into TS. Works quite nice, but I doubt I'd be able to set it up myself again. ;-)

The software he used is called Virtual Audio Cable 4.10.

Trenloe
August 24th, 2013, 15:48
But last night I had a guy from my EVE alliance walk me through setting up a second channel for TS that now pushes my Media Player output through a virtual microphone into TS. Works quite nice, but I doubt I'd be able to set it up myself again. ;-)

The software he used is called Virtual Audio Cable 4.10.
That what I do (use VAC and another instance of TeamSpeak). There are also plugins for TeamSpeak that allow you to so similar: https://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/miscellaneous/TeamSpeak3-MusicBot-Plugin.html

And a Soundboard plguin: https://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/miscellaneous/TS3-Soundboard-Plugin.html

Google "teamspeak mp3 player" and you'll see lots of options and tutorials.

Blacky
August 25th, 2013, 14:06
VAC is probably the best way to handle sounds (effects and music) right now. And it's not that difficult to set up. VAC can be quite complex for complex usages, but just creating a virtual audio card for Teamspeak to pull from it's quite basic (although a tutorial helps, of course).

heyhogan
September 24th, 2013, 20:44
Another option that I think is a bit easier to use is DJ Streamer. I have tried to use VAC and it works, but is "complex" I like DJ streamer as it is simple and works with a variety of voice chat programs. $20.

https://www.screamingbee.com/product/products.aspx

Blacky
September 25th, 2013, 00:59
If it's only to play music/sounds from a software (foobar, vlc, whatever) to Teamspeak with VAC, it's very simple if you know what you're doing. Like 3 clics simple. Just need to find a tutorial.

AstaSyneri
September 26th, 2013, 11:14
If it's only to play music/sounds from a software (foobar, vlc, whatever) to Teamspeak with VAC, it's very simple if you know what you're doing. Like 3 clics simple. Just need to find a tutorial.
Have you found one? I have it set up now - but now I can't run Media Player (at least I don't hear it) anymore, because the line-out is somehow tied into teamspeak. And I don't know how to reverse that (somebody else set it up with me). Duh.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2013, 14:22
Have you found one? I have it set up now - but now I can't run Media Player (at least I don't hear it) anymore, because the line-out is somehow tied into teamspeak. And I don't know how to reverse that (somebody else set it up with me). Duh.
This is for Windows 7, but it should be similar for other versions of Windows. In Media Player click on "Organize" -> "Options", then select the "Devices" tab. Click on "Speakers" and press the "Properties" button. Remember what setting you currently have in "Select the audio device:" as you'll use this when you want to put the audio through Teamspeak, then select your speakers from the drop down list. Press OK, then OK again. Then you must close and restart Windows Media Player for this change to take effect.

Blacky
September 26th, 2013, 18:12
Yup, but not in English.

Ok, basically you need to create a second audio device, a virtual one with VAC. Use default settings, it just need to be able to handle input & ouput. Usually Line1.

Then the trick is in Teamspeak. You need to create a second profile, like AmbientMusic, that has no sounds or playback whatsoever but use a permanent (no push to talk, no voice activation; and remove all goodies on it like noise reduction) input from Line1. Use a different Identity for it, it avoids security issues with some TS servers.

Then use a decent audio playback software (no Windows media player, myself I use foobar for this purpose only since one can install several versions of it on parallel) and configure it to ouput to Line1 (the virtual one from VAC).

Then it should work. Your default TS profile for yourself and your voice, and connect the AmbientMusic second one, anything you play on your configured music software should be heard from it.

There's other ways to do this, some slightly better, but it's more complex (you'll need to activate audio repeater in VAC).

If I got time, I'll do a proper tutorial in a few days.

If your setup desoen't work, check step by step. Really check. Think about what sound it is, where is it coming from and where is it going. Sound complicated, it's really not.

Edit: did you try Google? I find it strange there's no English tutorial on this, since a lot of people stream music on TS (it's a pain in the *** on regular chats but that's another story).