PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting for New C&C Greyhawk Campaign

JohnD
August 18th, 2013, 05:10
I will be DMing a campaign using old 1st and 2nd edition AD&D content, set in Greyhawk. Location and year still TBD. If you have a stack of old modules and source books, you likely have what I will be DMing. This is not a deal breaker, but my expectation is that you are up front with me about this information, and that you conduct yourself such that your fellow players have no idea that you may have some meta-game knowledge.

I term my campaign as “low powered”… players looking to attain 20th level and possess +5 magical items will not find what they are looking for with me. As a DM I consider 8th level to be “high level”… and by 5th level the average PC is a power to be reckoned with.

My hobby time is precious to me; I have a high stress profession and a wife vying for my time. My ideal player is someone in their 30s, 40s or older, who understands these competing demands and is reliable in terms of game attendance (understanding that Real Life kicks us all in a tender spot from time to time).

I have been DMing since 1979 or so. I’d like to think that should serve as a good indication that I do a relatively decent job of it (as opposed to just being the person dumb enough to always volunteer for extra work…). I currently have three other campaigns (3.5e, Pathfinder and Rolemaster) running via FG… the longest running one started in spring 2012 and is still going strong. From this you should understand that I’m generally a very reliable DM who isn’t going to flake out of a campaign and disappear into the internet ether.

This will be my first foray into the C&C ruleset… I am happy to have players with experience in the rules. I am not a walking encyclopaedia on rules… although back in my youth I could tell you what page of the DMG you could find almost anything on from memory. During play if you think I’ve adjudicated on something harshly or incorrectly, I am more than open to a discussion, and may even change my ruling. You may even end up with a House Rule to cover the situation.

The min/max player will probably not fit in well in my games. Rarely do I ever create a challenge that requires this approach to character building to be successful. Overpowering PCs are just that – my DMing style requires that everyone in the group plays an integral part in mutual survival. I am not going to adopt strange accents when playing the part of NPCs, nor do I expect players to do so, but this is not to say that there won’t be RP. I am not simply going to line up random encounters on a battle map with no story or reason for it.

My style requires a solid mix of classes. The suggested one of Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and Rogue is traditional in nature and very applicable here. For races, my setting is very Human oriented and character creation approach I use (along with the C&C rules) will tend to support this, without discouraging someone from playing a Dwarf, Elf, or whatever within reason. There will be house rules I use; for example a Wizard will have a slightly better spell selection at 1st level and there will be age related stat modifiers applied at Young Adult and Adult ranges.

My approach to scheduling games is that I put a date/time into the calendar and then send the group an email FYI. This means I need an email address for the distribution list from each and every player. I expect that players will indicate 'yes' or 'no' with respect to their availability for each scheduled game. I require a minimum of "50%+1" in attendance to go ahead with a game session. I use a "three strikes" rule for no-call-no-show types because as I've said, my gaming time is important to me and I'd imagine it's important to the rest of the players as well. This three strikes rule also applies to people who say they will attend and then pull a no-show (failing mitigating circumstances). I hope this doesn't have me coming across as too much of a hard ***, but I have seen too many game sessions disrupted by chronically unreliable people who show a complete disregard for the effect of their actions on others. To mitigate the "oops I forgot" stuff, I send a reminder email the day before a game, and a follow-up when I'm launching the server. I bend over backwards to ensure there is more than adequate between game communication... anecdotal evidence tells me my approach works.

Please consider purchasing the C&C ruleset here on FG... again to show support for the people who work to give us this ventue for gaming. At just $10 it is less than the cost of a movie and will provide you with a large multiple of hours of gaming. Note this is not a requirement but I do believe you will get more out of the game if you have the ruleset, given how everything is distributed.

If interested, please drop me a PM and/or post here.

FG License: Ultimate (however, I would prefer if players had at least a Lite version to show your support for the fine people who make FG possible)
Game System: Castles and Crusades

Time Zone: (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Day of week and time: Friday roughly 7 – 10 PM or 8 - 11 PM depending on outside commitments.
Planned start date: Campaign active as of September 23, 2013.
Planned Frequency: Every 2nd/3rd week on average however frequency will vary due to Real Life commitments.
Term: At least one adventure, likely developing into a long term campaign.

Text or Voice: Voice for primary communication; chat as needed to supplement. I use some big files for maps so a solid internet up/down connection is important as well.
Voice software used: FG Community TeamSpeak server

Roleplay/Combat mix: Dependant on situation… some sessions will be all combat; others will be entirely RP and inter-character interaction or with NPCs.
Number of Players: 4 to 6 (happy to have players who have C&C experience)
PC starting level: 1st with maximum GP for class. New PCs will begin play with an amount of XP to simulate prior adventuring activity.
Character restrictions: 4th edition of C&C rules (what comes with the FG ruleset), plus willing to consider OGL content from the Crusader's Companion (discussion required). Greyhawk content will be available (human sub-races, spells, etc…). No Drow, no Evil aligned PCs (there may be others… but these come immediately to mind)... aside from these two things almost everything is negotiable.

Link to Gamecalendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1062

Nickademus
August 18th, 2013, 12:21
Played a little C&C but love me some Greyhawk. I would be interested, but I need to know what day. I'll keep an eye on this post.

Andraax
August 18th, 2013, 13:14
Consider me in, pending final decision on date (not available Wednesdays or some Fridays).

scionofnyarlathotep
August 18th, 2013, 14:35
I'd love to but the time difference will be a killer. I'm used to a 2am bed time but not a 4am :cry:

thehorrors
August 19th, 2013, 01:13
If you still need players I would like to join

GunnarGreybeard
August 19th, 2013, 06:01
Greyhawk would be nice but my only day free atm is Wednesday. I know you said "not Tuesday or Wednesday" but I will follow this thread and see where it goes.

JohnD
August 19th, 2013, 12:17
Yeah, Wednesday is the absolute hell day at work, usually 12+ hours - has already been problematic for my Rolemaster game because I often just am too tired to GM. Looking at a different night.

S Ferguson
August 19th, 2013, 15:03
Be happy to join. If your still looking for players. I only got a fraction of the time playing Rolemaster, it 'twould be nice to continue (or start for that matter.

Cheers,
SF

JohnD
August 19th, 2013, 16:17
Updated OP with additional information.

Nickademus
August 19th, 2013, 16:48
My Friday is like your Wednesday (usually 10-12 hours of work) and I'm sometimes just finishing up at 7 pm. Though since I'm EDT, that's not really an issue since that's 6 pm for you.

I think I'd enjoy a simple game on Friday (I remember C&C being a simple 2e clone if I'm not mistaken), but do know that I'll be mostly braindead for the game. Will have to play a fighter-type or such.

dr_venture
August 19th, 2013, 18:58
<kirk> Joooohhhnnnnn! </kirk> *shakes fist* Old school C&C Greyhawk on Friday evenings... you *stole* my idea... which I kinda stole from Gary Gygax... joking of course.

At some point we should swap adventuring groups for an adventure, like they've all traveled to a parallel universe :D

JohnD
August 19th, 2013, 19:14
LOL yeah these work and family things really impact negatively on gaming time. :rv:

S Ferguson
August 19th, 2013, 20:01
My Friday is like your Wednesday (usually 10-12 hours of work) and I'm sometimes just finishing up at 7 pm. Though since I'm EDT, that's not really an issue since that's 6 pm for you.

I think I'd enjoy a simple game on Friday (I remember C&C being a simple 2e clone if I'm not mistaken), but do know that I'll be mostly braindead for the game. Will have to play a fighter-type or such.

Actually it's closer to 1e in it's layout (Skills were introduced in 1e) but closer to 3.0 in execution. The main difference being the Siege mechanics which give it that "simple" resolution mechanic.

taoistpunk
August 19th, 2013, 20:07
About Me: 43, Married w/ kid, full time job, EST (Philadelphia Suburb)

I've been playing/DMing since 1980, starting with the first basic redbox. I run a CnC game on Sunday evenings, but have been looking to add a game to my schedule that I can play in. I value roleplay over statplay. I'm familiar with a number of systems...the list is long.

I understand the value of 'free time' as I have little with work and family.

Feel free to contact me via this forum for more info.

Howard

JohnD
August 19th, 2013, 23:50
PMs sent.

Currently 5 of 6 spots are spoken for.

Grosnounou
August 21st, 2013, 23:23
I would be very interested to play, I am GST-7 mountain time... 39 and married 2 kids

Anything not taken yet?

JohnD
August 22nd, 2013, 03:41
I would be very interested to play, I am GST-7 mountain time... 39 and married 2 kids

Anything not taken yet?

There's one spot open still Gros... drop me a PM and we can talk.

Isamill
August 22nd, 2013, 20:17
Hi John D,
I am presuming that I have come a bit late and all the possies are taken up, but if anyone pulls out I am interested - from your initial blurb I play exactly the same way (hate min/max) and have the same issues (family/work time). our time difference is not normally a problem as I am a very early riser and if it is Friday night for you fellas it will be Saturday morning for me (I think)

Grosnounou
August 22nd, 2013, 20:45
Message was sent :)

JohnD
August 22nd, 2013, 21:06
I increased the maximum to seven players and we're now full.

Will post here again if that changes in the future; thanks everyone! :)

JohnD
August 25th, 2013, 15:52
One spot open... probably looking for someone who will be interested in playing a warrior of some kind.

Post or PM if interested.

JohnD
September 1st, 2013, 02:53
One spot likely still open; provisionally, looking for someone to play one of an arcane caster, or a Cleric or (possibly) a Druid.

JohnD
September 5th, 2013, 03:23
Barring any attrition, our Player List appears to be full. If you are reading this and are interested, don't hesitate to reach out to me anyways. I am not afraid of running large groups.

JohnD
October 26th, 2013, 05:16
Possible opening for one or two interested players.

Twodogz
November 10th, 2013, 23:37
Hey,

It seems the event has been removed from the game calendar. Can you please update / repost?

JohnD
November 11th, 2013, 05:31
It's there for the 22nd... look in the campaign page.

Twodogz
November 11th, 2013, 06:47
You've changed a setting that makes it hidden to non group members recently.
Last week I was able to view it as a non member, but now it disappears as soon as FG logs me out (which it does every 5mins for some strange reason).

GunnarGreybeard
November 11th, 2013, 09:27
JohnD, just to confirm what Twodogz is saying, its not showing for me either, even when double checking that I'm fully logged in.

JohnD
November 11th, 2013, 16:46
Hmm well all I changed was the accept players flag, but I went and reversed that so it should be visible again now.

JohnD
January 2nd, 2014, 20:56
We've undergone a bit of attrition due to an unavoidable hiatus. Openings for up to two players now exist. Ideally one of which would be willing to play a Cleric of some useful kind.

PM or reply if interested. Campaign listed in the usual place.

JohnD
February 9th, 2014, 16:48
There appears to be a No Vacancy situation right now... full with eight.

JohnD
March 20th, 2014, 16:22
OK thread necromancy. One spot open. Again, link to more information in the OP at the top of the thread.

We are playing pretty regularly every 2nd or 3rd Friday from 8 - 11 PM Central. We're a cohesive and established group of six - everyone seems to be in tune with the style of play and gets along well.

There are a few pre-existing PCs that a new player could assume control of, or we could look at generating a new one. PM me or post here if interested.