PDA

View Full Version : Getting a XCOM: Enemy Unknown campaign off the ground

AstaSyneri
August 14th, 2013, 14:08
Hello there!

While I have been looking at FG every now and then for a few years, I never actually tried it. Now, with three kids, a job, and friends scattered all over, it finally seems to be the right tool to get some "real" roleplaying done at least every once in a while.

In the recent past my last more or less regular RPG group switched from Spycraft D20 to Savage Worlds, simply because we tended to have to look up too many rules, only to forget how things were done (not the basic stuff - we are not that old yet! ;-)) by the next session a few weeks or even months later.

Now, inspired by Firaxis' XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I'd like to start a new campaign tentatively called XCOM: Black Ops.

I am still a bit wonky on what I will need to get things going (we have a TS3 server we can use, so that's settled), and I'd like you to have a look at my "laundry list" and comment at your leisure.

Purchase FG 2 Ultimate Edition and SW 3.4 rules set
Start to expand the rules set with XCOM specific rules (Edges mostly, also Gear) - how... exactly?
Prepare tokens (aliens and XCOM soldiers) - any specific resolution that works best for scaling?
Prepare the adventure (Plot, Missions, Maps). Talking about maps - how do I include premade PDF maps, for example those by Fabled Environments (https://fabledenvironments.com/wp/)? They sometimes are to big for the table-top (and need to be plotted if to be used on a real table).
(optional) Tweak the theme to make it look more "XCOM-y"
Create characters and allies.
Start play ;-).

Sounds like quite a bit of work (not afraid of that, despite not having that much time).

Did I forget anything?

Oh - btw, I'd prefer pointers to text rather than videos. The latter are inefficient for me, as i can't watch them at work :(. I'd rather read the odd instruction or so at lunch break or so.

Debinani
August 17th, 2013, 03:34
I've used some Fabled Environments maps. What I did is take a screenshot of the single-page preview page from the PDF and used that - that tends to be a high enough resolution to use as an in-game map.

To tweak the theme you'll probably need to create a custom extension. Takes some trial and error but it's not too bad - though backgrounds can be a bit of a pain. The way I've done it in the past is crack open the ruleset and see which panels and images I want to replace, then that gives me a key to go off of when creating the xml files in the extension. The builder docs on the FG site can be a help, but I think I learned the most by looking at a graphics-replacement extension to see how it's done.

AstaSyneri
August 19th, 2013, 08:54
Step one is done: Proud owner of a FG 2 Ultimate edition now, including SW rules set.

I've used some Fabled Environments maps. What I did is take a screenshot of the single-page preview page from the PDF and used that - that tends to be a high enough resolution to use as an in-game map.

To tweak the theme you'll probably need to create a custom extension. Takes some trial and error but it's not too bad - though backgrounds can be a bit of a pain. The way I've done it in the past is crack open the ruleset and see which panels and images I want to replace, then that gives me a key to go off of when creating the xml files in the extension. The builder docs on the FG site can be a help, but I think I learned the most by looking at a graphics-replacement extension to see how it's done.

On the map: I'll have to try it out.

I still can't find a tutorial that is not video based, though :(. Is there a Savage Worlds demo adventure somewhere, that I can add to the game to get a hang on combat and have a look at how things are set up?

If not, I'll have to make up my own. Here's the first Sectoid "Drone" (planning to have variations on the critters in XCOM in the game).

Sectoid Drone
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d4.
Skills: Fighting d4, Notice d6, Shooting d6
Charisma: NA; Pace 6; Parry: 4; Toughness 3
Edges and Powers:
Alertness, Small (-1 to hit, -1 Toughness), Arcane Background (Psionics), Mind Merge
Plasma Pistol: RNG 6/12/24, 2D6 damage, ROF 1

Mind Merge
Power Points: 1
Range: 12
Duration: 1 round
Trappings: Purplish black energy snakes towards the recipient, who gains Toughness +2, a die of shooting (d6 -> d8) and Pace +2. If the User dies, the recipient dies along with it.

Doswelk
August 19th, 2013, 10:34
https://www.rpgnow.com/product/98159/Savage-Worlds-Eye-of-Kilquato-for-Fantasy-Grounds-II?term=eye+of+kilq

Free Fantasy Grounds Savage Worlds adventure. :)

Not been tested in 3.4 so you'd be helping me as well :D

AstaSyneri
August 19th, 2013, 13:39
Thanks! I'll have a look at that. In the meantime I prepared some tokens for testing (150px diameter probably is too large, but that's why it's called testing ;-)).

4711 4712 4713

And another question: How do you handle Allies and Enemies? Do you generate those through the same PCS interface as the player characters?

AstaSyneri
August 21st, 2013, 19:59
Last night we had our first little "trial", just fooling around with the options, getting characters to roll dice, move on a map (get a connect to each other, really). All worked great, but it showed me that there is so much to learn.

I did find the User Guide (for some reason it's a bit difficult to find), but of course that doesn't really apply to Savage Worlds.

Is there a "best practice" guide on how to run Savage World combats? Especially how to advance the combat tracker, so everything goes in the right order, locking stuff so evil players can't destroy your set-up, stuff like that? ;-)

Doswelk
August 22nd, 2013, 13:45
Have you watched my YouTube channel? (I know you said no video)

https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk

AstaSyneri
August 22nd, 2013, 14:53
Have you watched my YouTube channel? (I know you said no video)

https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk

Yeah, I can watch it. It just doesn't help a lot without audio ;-). I tried the first one at home, but the sound was offset by some 10-15 seconds, making it very hard to follow it.

As I said: Video is not the best medium for me, as I can only use it at home very late at night. Not my best time to follow new stuff. Lunch break is a lot better in that regard ;-).

That's why I asked whether any written documentation exists.

dulux-oz
August 22nd, 2013, 17:16
Hi,

I know you said videos are a pain because of work and stuff, but in my expereince the easiest way to learn FG2 is to do it while someone shows you how - hence videos. Writing that stuff out can be a real pain in the butt.

In fact, I struck the same problem you've got with my own players, which is why I put together my own Tutiorial Videos - so, for what its worth (and as a shameless plug) you can find links to them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?18473-New-Tutorial-Videos

My actuall YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-pNvUFwsrAHTtuQna02FEA

(In fact, Doswelk himself seemed to like mine - judging from his comment in that thread).

Other than that (or other people's videos) I don't know of any written documentation - apart from the User Guide.

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers

AstaSyneri
August 23rd, 2013, 08:21
Yeah, watched a few more last night - the combat tracker ones. That helped a little bit, but I am still very unsure how to include new edges and weapons, how to store enemies and how to set groups of combatants to a single initiative card (in Doswelk's video that seemed to be broken :( ).

Doswelk
August 23rd, 2013, 19:19
PM me and we can see if we can arrange a 1-2-1 session, I'll share my desktop and you can ask me all sorts of questions.;)

AstaSyneri
August 25th, 2013, 20:00
PM'ed, everything set up (albeit 15 minutes late), ready to go.

AstaSyneri
August 27th, 2013, 13:22
Wow. After Doswelk showed me so many possibilities, I feel like an Alzheimer candidate - so many of it seems to disappear so quickly. I blame my general stress levels and lack of sleep, and I am sure it will come again once I play around with the software more.

Talking of which: I am planning to take an NPC wild card lieutenant (Novice) and a squad of XCOM soldiers into a mission I play out by myself to "pre-load" the Savage Worlds fighting mechanics into my brain. It's been a while...

I am kind of rusty on making up characters on the fly as well, so what do you think of this (helps if have played XCOM a bit to know where I am coming from):

Lt. Gorman (haha)
Agility d6
Smarts d6
Spirit d8
Strength d4
Vigor d6

Charisma: -
Pace: 6
Parry: 5
Toughness: 5

Fighting d6
Intimidation d6
Knowledge (Battle) d6
Notice d6
Persuasion d8
Shooting d6

Hindrances
Overconfidant

Edges
Command (+1 to his troops for Shaken rolls)
Natural Leader

and XCOM Rookies (3)
Agility d6
Smarts d4
Spirit d6
Strength d6
Vigor d6

Parry: 5
Toughness: 4

Fighting d6
Notice d6
Shooting d8
Stealth d4
Survival d4
Throwing d6

Hindrances/Edges
None

against

Sectoids (6)
Agility d6
Smarts d4
Spirit d6
Strength d6
Vigor d6

Parry: 2
Toughness: 4

Notice d4
Shooting d6
Stealth d4

Hindrances/Edges
None

Of course they carry Plasma Pistols, which do 2d8 damage (?), while the XCOM operatives only have conventional weaponry (X-9 Assault Rifle 20/40/80 Burst, ROF 3, 2d8 (?)).

A lot of balancing to do here...

What do you think?

Doswelk
August 27th, 2013, 15:54
You could consider getting hold of Tour of Darkness, it was part of the Weird Wars setting set in Vietnam but has lots of ideas you could mine for Military services and edges and hindrances, you could get away with just buying the player's guide PDF.

AstaSyneri
August 27th, 2013, 21:46
You could consider getting hold of Tour of Darkness, it was part of the Weird Wars setting set in Vietnam but has lots of ideas you could mine for Military services and edges and hindrances, you could get away with just buying the player's guide PDF.

I am getting all the information I can, believe me. ;-) It's just going to take time. Wrote the stuff above not at my home desk, where I have access to those books on my shelves already (ToD, 50F, DL Reloaded, NE). ;-) I am going to make up a few edges eventually, but right now I believe the base stuff will be sufficient. I don't want to overload on edges.

Now I am just trying to set up a first fight to try it out.