PDA

View Full Version : Effects Coding

dulux-oz
August 13th, 2013, 15:02
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my head around writting Effects. I think I've got it sorted, but see if I've got this wrong.

I'm trying to write an Effect that does 1d3 Fire damage every round for the next three rounds:

DMGO: 1d3 fire , 3, round (Roll)

I basically just need someone to "look over my shoulder" and make sure I haven't got this wrong.

Thanks in Advance

Trenloe
August 13th, 2013, 16:27
There are plenty and plenty of thread on the forum that discuss effects, so I'd recommend doing a search and looking at some of those to get more info.

I would also recommend just giving it a go in FG - experiment, see how things work (or don't).

But, to address your question above - the syntax you are using is the descriptive syntax, i.e. what is used to write and describe an effect outside of the actual effects system - so this effect text will not work as desired if applied to a target.

This is how the effect would look on a PC action tab. Note this is setup as "TRGT" so any creature you have targeted when you double click this effect will have the effect applied to them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Effect%20-%20DMGO%20PC.jpg

And this his how it would look on the combat tracker once it is applied to a target. The 22 is the initiative count that the effect was applied on - this is when the duration will be decremented by 1:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/DMGO%20CT.jpg

dulux-oz
August 13th, 2013, 16:44
Thanks Trenloe,

Yeah, I found the various Threads, but soon got lost in the details (couldn't see the forest for the trees - or information overload, whichever cliche people feel comfortable with).

You've given me the answer I was looking for - I was getting caught-up in the "All", "Roll", etc. tags.

I don't siuppose there's a primer any where on exactly what these tags do? I find the online 3.5 Doco a bit confusing on this topic - and its a little bit out of date (no fault of anyones, just a fact).

Cheers

Trenloe
August 13th, 2013, 17:07
EDIT: Updates to the ACTN definition based on M_W feedback.

There's some info on the "Other Attributes" sub-heading of the effects tab.

The application info is:

All: All effect components are applied as long as the effect is active.
Once - actually shown as "ROLL": If any effect component is applied, then the effect expires. Just the single component of the whole effect line. So if the effect was "ATK:2;DMG4" and an attack was made the ATK:2 would be applied and expire but the DMG:4 would remain.
ACTN (action) - apply the effect to the next set of rolls - a single action. Primarily this applies to the "full attack" action in 2.5e/PF.
Sngl: If any effect component is applied, then that effect component expires. All other effect components will remain active.

These headings related to the button to the left of the effect - shown as "ALL" in the screenshots I posted previously.

The above doesn't really apply to DMGO - as this is not applied as part of an action, but at the beginning of the targets turn until it expires.

Hope this helps - any other questions just ask.

I know it can be all confusing, but my recommendation is baby steps - and experimentation. The documentation is actually quite good, but it takes a while to get used to.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 17:46
Just to clarify, Action and Roll are slightly different. One applies the effect to the next set of rolls, while the other applies the effect to the next one roll. There are certain effects in 3.5E or 4E (such as True Strike) that grant bonuses to only a single roll. So, when making a full attack, the difference between Roll and Action make more sense.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 13th, 2013, 23:45
Just to clarify, Action and Roll are slightly different. One applies the effect to the next set of rolls, while the other applies the effect to the next one roll. There are certain effects in 3.5E or 4E (such as True Strike) that grant bonuses to only a single roll. So, when making a full attack, the difference between Roll and Action make more sense.
Thanks very much for the clarification. :) I've updated my post.

Nightfiend
August 21st, 2013, 04:16
Hi quick question on effect tags. I have seen the formal post here.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

I was wondering if there is any other recognized effect tags other then these?

for example, If I want a spell to do non lethal damage and post the damage in the non lethal box on the combat manager. Or an effect that adds a bonus to concentration or spell penetration.

Trenloe
August 21st, 2013, 04:27
I was wondering if there is any other recognized effect tags other then these?
These are pretty much it, but some of the damage types and energy types are not listed.

for example, If I want a spell to do non lethal damage and post the damage in the non lethal box on the combat manager. Or an effect that adds a bonus to concentration or spell penetration.
You could use "DMGTYPE: nonlethal" which will add this damage type to all damage rolled, however this effect does not remove other damage types already being used.

These additional damage types and energy types are defined within the specific ruleset \scripts\data_common.lua script.

Nickademus
August 21st, 2013, 04:46
Perhaps I'm not understanding the situation but if a spell is dealing damage (which you want to convert to nonlethal), then it should already have a damage effect in the action tab entry. Simply expand that entry, expand the damage amount pull-down and change the damage type from whatever it is to 'nonlethal'. (It will automatically change the damage amount field to reflect the damage type.)

Other than that, like Trenloe said all the recognized labels are in that lua file. I pulled the list out and saved it as a text file to refer to while making effects.

Concentration is listed in the file as "concentration". Spell Pen may not be a raw label, but "clc" I think is caster-level check. You could add to this but it would affect all CL checks. Not seeing a specific SR check.

Nightfiend
August 22nd, 2013, 02:50
Ok I figured out the problem. It was my fault. Nonlethal is recognized as a damage type. I was just fat fingering the spelling.

What about effects like spell penetration and concentration? If i wanted to apply, lets say, a -2 to concentration as an effect of a spell. What tag would I use to do this? I tried CONC: that didn't work. along with a lot of other fails. LoL )

Same question to spell penetration. These I know are fare and few between, but I was just curious if the program had a specific way to do this other then manually.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2013, 03:04
What about effects like spell penetration and concentration? If i wanted to apply, lets say, a -2 to concentration as an effect of a spell. What tag would I use to do this? I tried CONC: that didn't work. along with a lot of other fails. LoL )

Same question to spell penetration. These I know are fare and few between, but I was just curious if the program had a specific way to do this other then manually.
Pretty much what you see in the "Label: Modifiers" sub-section of the effects entry in the user guide is what can be used as the main effect keyword. You are referring to this table? It is not on the first page of the effects entry - you need to check in the sidebar to the left for extra sub-headings when you click on a main heading. A bit of a pain, even more so that you can't link it directly as well.

CONC is concealment.

There are not any effects for concentration or spell penetration.

Nightfiend
August 22nd, 2013, 03:22
Thanks Trenloe. So fare I have been pleased with FG. I think there is things they could do to improve, but in all it is a nice option. And thank you for your help.

Moon Wizard
August 23rd, 2013, 01:20
There are currently no effect options for spell penetration and concentration. These can currently only be adjusted via the PC sheet or the modifier box (lower left corner).

Also, CONC is actually concealment. The full list is here. Make sure to click on the left hand navigation towards the bottom to see all the details.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

Regards,
JPG

Phystus
August 23rd, 2013, 01:53
For concentration, couldn't you use SKILL: -3 concentration; ?

Not sure if the first C concentration is in upper or lower case, you'll have to give it a go and see.

I don't have any suggestions for spell penetration, though.

~P

Trenloe
August 23rd, 2013, 03:05
For concentration, couldn't you use SKILL: -3 concentration; ?
Good reminder. :) This would work for 3.5e as concentration is a skill.

It won't work in Pathfinder as concentration is not a skill.