PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Craft Ruleset

Morfedel
August 13th, 2013, 03:27
So, it appears no one has designed one of these, so I think I might work on it myself.

I used to be a programmer, but it seems that the learning curve for rules sets based on the info out there don't appear to be user friendly, but so far I've only glanced at it. This should be... interesting. :)

In the meantime, though, I suppose I'll have to roll with maptools while I work on this.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 04:27
Check out the Laboratory forum for v3.0 in alpha testing. It offers a base ruleset to build off of to make custom ruleset development faster. Make sure to back up your data folder, if you decide to try it out.

Cheers,
JPG

Dakadin
August 13th, 2013, 04:54
Yes, try building your ruleset on the CoreRPG that JPG mentioned. It will give you a good foundation to start with. Then just add things like you would for an extension to your ruleset to get it the way you want. You can use the 3.5E, Pathfinder, or 4E rulesets as examples. Just rename the PAK file to a ZIP file so you can see the contents of those rulesets in v3.0. If you own the Call of Cthulu ruleset you can also use that as an example.

Post any questions you have.

Morfedel
August 14th, 2013, 14:33
Ok, so, I'm confused. I understand this core rules set, and I see it mentioned in the Laboratory forum, but it seems to be part of the new 3.x version... and there is a separate Forum, the Open Foundation Rules set in The Foundry. So, if I'm looking for this base rules set without becoming an alpha tester, which files do I get?

Morfedel
August 14th, 2013, 14:35
I used to be a programmer... until 2001, the great dot.com collapse, and I switched into the medical field. In other words, I haven't programmed in 12 years. But I'm considering writing an application to help automate rules set development. However, I need to first learn LUA, refresh myself on xml, learn the rules set structure, and to be frank, knock all the rust out of my system, hehe

Trenloe
August 15th, 2013, 15:52
Ok, so, I'm confused. I understand this core rules set, and I see it mentioned in the Laboratory forum, but it seems to be part of the new 3.x version... and there is a separate Forum, the Open Foundation Rules set in The Foundry. So, if I'm looking for this base rules set without becoming an alpha tester, which files do I get?
I'd recommend using the new 3.x test version and use the CoreRPG ruleset there - this is a very good base that has all of the recent FG functionality included. Whereas the other base/core/open foundation rulesets will work fine, they do not have a lot of the recent FG developments included.

The 3.x CoreRPG will be the base ruleset going forward. If you use this rulset as your base, any upgrades to the CoreRPG ruleset should result in you getting the new functionality in anything you build on top of this.

Using one of the older foundation rulesets you are essentially working off a static set of functionality that would rely on you manually adding any upgraded functionality in future.