PDA

View Full Version : How to change the GM portrait

ysabeau1
August 13th, 2013, 01:10
I've seen this done, and saw one thread related to it but it didn't contain enough detail for me to figure it out. I'm intelligent and fairly technically competent but have no programming experience, so I really need step by step instructions. If someone has the time to help me out, I'd really like to know how to insert a GM avatar portrait.

biomage
August 13th, 2013, 01:46

You can alter the GM Token png in the 3.5e.pak, but it will get overwritten on updates. The best way is to use an extension.
Download the attached extension into the extension folder.
Open it with a zip program.
Edit the portrait_gm_token.png to whatever you want the GM portrait to look like.
Save it.
Enable the extension when you start FG.

EDIT: You should also make sure that the option to show portraits in the chat window is also selected in in the options menu.

ysabeau1
August 13th, 2013, 04:17
Thank you, but this is where I sound really stupid: I can't find the portrait_gm_token.png. I understand it might be in the ruleset file, but I don't know where that is! I know how to add the extension, and did that with no problems, but a search on my computer doesn't show that file, and I can't find it in any fantasy grounds app. folders. I'm sure that I will have a 'doh' moment when this is explained.

Dakadin
August 13th, 2013, 04:45
Rename the EXT file to a ZIP file. You should find the file in the graphics/icons folder in the ZIP file. If you update that then change it back to an EXT file, you should be able to use the extension with your new graphic.

One warning is Windows won't let you modify the files by opening them when they are in a ZIP file. Just copy it out to a temp location. Make your changes. Then copy it back to the same location in the ZIP file.

Valarian
August 13th, 2013, 07:38
Make sure you zip contents of the folder within the folder, not the folder itself. The files in the extension (extension.xml?) need to be in the base of the zip file.

biomage
August 13th, 2013, 11:35
I can't find the portrait_gm_token.png.

As mentioned, if you don't have a compression program, like 7-zip, you will have to rename the file/folder from .ext to .zip. After you change it, you should be able to open the file available above, there is a folder called, "icons". The portrait_gm_token.png is in that folder. Open the file, portrait_gm_token.png, change it as you see fit. Save it in the same folder, "icons". Then, go back and change the name of the file from .zip to .ext.

If you don't see the ending extensions on the files, the "." and last three characters, you will have to enable Windows to show them. If you need additional assistance with that, we need to know what version of windows you are using.
Alternatively, you can download and install a compression program. Once installed, you should be able to right-click the file above and open it with the compression program without renaming it.

ysabeau1
August 13th, 2013, 14:07
Thank you, everyone. Finally got it figured out, grateful for the detailed explanantions.