PDA

View Full Version : New to FG, looking for a game

kirkner03
August 9th, 2013, 00:35
Hello all,

I'm new to FG, but I have some experience playing 2nd edition ADnD from my youth and I'm eager to find a game and start playing again.

I'm interested in any DnD or Pathfinder game, would love to find a campaign to join.

My play time is EST:
-Weekdays: after 7pm
-Weekends: any time

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Macgreine
August 11th, 2013, 22:47
Hello and welcome,
Have you found a group yet?

Andrepartthree
August 13th, 2013, 17:05
Welcome to FG :) ... here's what I normally say to people new to FG :)

- you'll find like 99 percent of the people here are "newbie friendly" so don't be nervous about that (not that you said you were or anything :P but just putting it out there ;) ) as far as you learning FG and the game rules for any given game system ... D&D version 3.0/3.5 and D&D version 4.0 are the most popular games/RPG's played on here with a FIERCE debate over what's better, 3.0/3.5 or 4.0 ... the 3.0/3.5 lovers sometimes hate on 4.0 for it being too simplistic and video-game-ish while the 4.0 lovers sometimes attack the 3.0/3.5 lovers for wanting an overly complex game with way too many rules ... I tried 4.0 once and did not like it compared to 3.0/3.5 but I can totally see why the 4.0 people would frown upon the zillion and one rules in 3.0/3.5 :P (although the positive side of that is I think it allows for a bit more flexibility and realism with your character in 3.0/3.5 since they go into such enormous detail ... but it can be a HUGE drag too if you get into a rules debate during an FG game).... if you find yourself interested in a 3.0/3.5 game I'd recommend grabbing a copy of the version 3.0 Player's Handbook which used will run you under ten dollars on amazon including shipping and handling ;) .. you don't have to read the whole thing right away, just in bits and pieces while you're waiting in line or something maybe somewhere ;) .. while there are minor differences between 3.0 and 3.5 quite honestly after reading it you'll have a pretty good grasp of 3.5 rules too , and pathfinder for that matter (which in my opinion is very similar to , if not exactly the same as , 3.0/3.5 .. still the same sword and sorcery type genre as D&D too ;) , pathfinder that is ) .. the 4.0 books are more expensive I think even used though I could be wrong on that - in the case of 4.0 you'd want the Player's Handbook there too .. not sure what the prices are for other RPG books...

- I've seen players brand new to FG and brand new to the rules adopted by gamesmasters and gaming groups who have done quite well :) .. here's what they're really looking for :

- social skills... much as I hate to say it there are immature players out there who will throw a FIT in real life if the game doesn't go their way ... or they think nothing of getting into a huge online argument with other players and/or GM's , again because they feel their viewpoint is the only valid one ... you get points just for not being one of those players alone ;)

- they may not like rules lawyers.. this comes up a LOT in version 3.0/3.5 games where someone will insist on dragging the game to a complete halt while the players and GM look up one of the zillion and one D&D 3.0/3.5 rules ... some groups are totally okay with this and actually encourage this with an almost religious sort of devotion to following every rule EXACTLY as it appears in the rulebooks.. but if the entire group and GM isn't composed of rules lawyers then you have a problem with the other players getting impatient with the rules lawyer for slowing the game down.. some GM's really frown upon this sort of thing and would much rather make a quick ruling just to get the game going then research it later on (or if you research it later on for the GM back it up with page numbers and references from Player's Handbook or whatever ;) though a lot of GM's would prefer you do this AFTER the Fantasy Grounds gaming session is over :P ... ) ..

Andrepartthree
August 13th, 2013, 17:05
(continued)

- they love people who show enthusiasm with the role play thing.. as a former GM and as a player I've found in either role, GM's love players who take the time to write up a backstory, appearance (height, weight, skin/hair/eye color, type of clothing worn, facial hair et cetera - I've found deviant art to be a great website for pic's of your PC though I'm sure other FG members on here could name equally good websites) and personality for their character.. you don't have to be shakespeare or anything :P , but a general history of who this person is and how s/he came to have the personality s/he has .. maybe a page or so of typed text ... is catnip to a lot of GM's ;) ... if you're not afraid to ham it up and role play out your character's personality during FG game sessions your GM will more likely than not love you for it too :) .. at the same time you have to be careful.. if you write up, say for example, a dark, brooding batman-type dude who is constantly getting other characters upset with his antisocial ways you can create problems in the gaming group .. experienced role players will find a way to make such a character dark and brooding while at the same time not antagonizing other PC's to the point where gaming between the players becomes impossible ;) (basically leave some "wiggle room" in the PC's personality ) ... the problem with FG is that it's ALL text, you can't see the other person's face and you might not even hear their voice (see below) so what you type can be misinterpreted as something you didn't mean .. I find PM'ing such a character write up directly to a GM on here who is recruiting for players to be the most effective and hey if the GM doesn't like your proposed character you still have a write up you can PM to other GM's whom might like it :) .. very general terms ( " I'm a fast talking rogue with a heart of gold who grew up on the streets ! I love drinking, gambling, women and a good heist ... but some of that gold I steal makes it's way into orphans' pockets though I will NEVER admit that out loud even under the pain of torture ! I seem to think everything is a joke, never take anything seriously and enjoy needling very serious people like the paladins or monks of the group though I don't go out of my way to genuinely make them upset or angry either " ) works well.. specific stuff ( " I was a human baby raised by dragons who finds himself an alien within civilized society unsure of human customs" ) can be fascinating but might be too specific for a potential GM's campaign - what if all dragons are evil SOB's in his campaign who would simply eat a human, or there's no dragons to begin with?

- find out if your GM prefers ALL text, ALL talking, or a mixture of the two in his or her FG games... some GM's will not use voice chat programs at all (which are usually free, skype for example) because they feel any voice chat - even out of character voice chat just to clarify rules or ask the GM an out-of-character-question.. ruins the whole "mood" and "atmosphere" of the game.. while I personally love voice chat for the ability to speed game play with the out of character questions I personally tended to insist back when I was GM'ing that everything done "in character" was typed.. if you're not a halfway decent typist (a slow as molasses typist basically :P ) you'll be unhappy in this sort of game as everyone merrily types away while you're left in the dust feeling all non-included :( ... some players and GM's will run a voice-chat game where you still use the FG program but everything you say or do whether in or out of character is done via chat .. this speeds gameplay up considerably (the disadvantage everything in character being typed is sometimes you can feel the game is proceeding at a snail's pace) though I've found in all voice games the game can quickly deteriorate into a chuckle-joke-fest between the players without a lot of actual gaming going on (yes I know that's a gross generalization and I apologize to all the voice chat lovers out there but that's been my experience though I acknowledge that may not be the case for EVERY voice chat game out there ) ... voice chat requires a microphone and headset combo (or maybe just a microphone using your computer speakers to listen to other people's voices) but they're WAY cheap online you can get 'em as cheap as fifteen dollars including shipping and handling ;) .. one drawback to voicechat is if you have kids, pets, or lots of other kinds of background noise your GM will expect you to mute your microphone unless you are speaking which creates the whole " talking into your microphone for minutes on end without realizing it's not on" sort of issue :P .. do NOT let yourself get involved with a game that involves voice chat for everything both in and out of character and then rely on you doing text only in FG .. I did this and it was a huge mistake, everything I typed got ignored while the GM and players gamed with each other via voice (not a deliberate slight on their part I'm sure but it's easy to overlook someone typing something while everyone's busy talking to everyone else).

- find out EXACTLY what your GM expects as far as alignment and whether or not he expects your player to be one of the "good guys" (a somewhat popular choice for GM's since it's easier to know which way the characters will "jump", makes it easier to run the campaign and motivate the players :P ) .. if so ask specific questions ahead of time as to what sort of morality the GM expects.. how does the GM feel about killing prisoners once you're done interrogating them? Or attacking say an NPC for example for lethal damage who is making " yo' momma " jokes about your PC :P but isn't actually trying to harm you.. or attacking someone for lethal damage when they have only attacked you for non-lethal damage.. or rescuing innocent villagers without demanding a reward first.. that sort of thing.. mind you there are also GM's who run dark and gritty morally ambiguous campaigns where everyone's either neutral or evil aligned..

- expect a certain amount of "flake-i-ness" from players and even GM's until you find a reliable group you can game with for a while.. it's very easy for players and even GM's to walk away from an online game, often without warning the other players or GM - it's all online which can make the whole thing a bit "impersonal" and easy to walk away from you see .. you'll probably have to go through a few gaming groups that collapse in on themselves.. the players or even the GM flake and don't show up , you have one or more immature players mentioned above who cause the entire group to implode with their antics, rules lawyers in the group antagonize other players to the point where they leave the game because the other players are bored out of their skulls listening to the rules lawyer argue with the GM or fellow players, players are bored and drop out because other players and/or the GM is not putting enough effort into the role playing out characters/NPC's side of things , all sorts of stuff... keep trying and eventually you'll hook up with a group that will game long term (by "long term" I mean at least 6 months or so :P .. possibly longer who knows ;) )

- for quick and easy online references to D&D version 3.5 and pathfinder (two of the more popular gaming systems on here) do a google search for "online srd d20 " for D&D version 3.5 (should bring you to something called the hypertext d20 srd) , or "pathfinder srd" for a pathfinder game (I'd recommend paizo's website the official publishers of the pathfinder role playing game) .. this will take you to websites where all the rules are listed in a handy dandy indexed format :) ... there's a D&D 4th edition online srd out there too I hear but from what I could see it was confusing as all hell in comparison to the 3.5 / pathfinder srds which go into a lot more detail (I could be wrong on this, if so hopefully someone will correct me). Not sure if the FG website will let me put down the direct links to it but I'll give it a shot:

https://www.d20srd.org/

https://paizo.com/prd/

- if you go to the "downloads" part of this website (click on "home " up at the top of the screen then "downloads" near the top ;) ) the "pathfinder 1, 2 and 3 " videos do a great job of giving you a general walkthrough of how FG works ... found the screen to be kind of small and hard to see what was going on there on the video (apologies to the video's creator for saying this :( ) .. WAAAAY back when I first started playing Xorn's video tutorials such as the "quick start guide" (under "archived tutorials" ) to be HUGELY helpful and a great video :) .. or the "player quickstart " video for the 4th edition D&D rules..

Trenloe
August 13th, 2013, 17:35
Welcome to the FG community kirkner03. :)

D&D version 3.0/3.5 and D&D version 4.0 are the most popular games/RPG's played on here with a FIERCE debate over what's better, 3.0/3.5 or 4.0 ... the 3.0/3.5 lovers sometimes hate on 4.0 for it being too simplistic and video-game-ish while the 4.0 lovers sometimes attack the 3.0/3.5 lovers for wanting an overly complex game with way too many rules
I'd have to say that I have not experienced a fierce debate about 3.x vs 4e on the FG forums or in FG games. This certainly goes on all over the RPG community and forums, but I wouldn't say it is particularly prevalent here - certainly not in my experience anyway.

kirkner03: Andrepartthree (are you two related? With both having a "last name" of 3?!?) makes a lot of good points. Don't be put off by the seemingly large amounts of information that is presented. The best approach is to have a chat with any potential GM to find out how they will run their game and what they expect from you as a player.

In the end the best advice is don't give up if your first few games don't go well - persevere and you will find a game which you enjoy, where players and the GMs fit in with your style of play and which gives you what you want. Like all things in life, it might take a while to find what you're looking for.

Oh, and support the GM - if you can't attend a game let them know. If you play in an ongoing campaign but don't want to continue, don't just stop attending - send a quick PM to the GM and just say "Sorry, it's not for me - thanks for having me." This will allow the GM to look for another player and not wonder where you have gone! Basically, be a nice person and show some manners! :-)

kirkner03
August 13th, 2013, 17:43
Awesome information and feedback, I definitely appreciate it!

I was contacted about a game, but have not yet had a chance to get my foot in the door. Though I do not have any experience with 3.0-4.0 D&D, I do have a ton of 2.0 (AD&D) experience. I will definitely pick up a copy of the new Player's Handbook for 3.0 at least to get adjusted to the new rules and such, plus I just like to read through those for fun regardless.

I do think I'm a pretty friendly and open minded guy, plus I love to role play. Definitely understand that the specific DM sets the rules and I'm not one of those players who is nitpicky about rules and such, I'm just there for the immersion and good time that's come with that.

Also, definitely mature, though I tend to get somewhat annoyed with the immature / non-realistic type players, but that's all part of it I know.

I love the aspect of creating a new character with the works, full back story, their appearance, personality. I think doing this definitely helps the DM to develop their story around their players, plus it better engrosses the player in the game.

Again, thanks for the help, hopefully I'll get picked up into a game soon!

kirkner03
August 13th, 2013, 17:45

I'd have to say that I have not experienced a fierce debate about 3.x vs 4e on the FG forums or in FG games. This certainly goes on all over the RPG community and forums, but I wouldn't say it is particularly prevalent here - certainly not in my experience anyway.

kirkner03: Andrepartthree (are you two related? With both having a "last name" of 3?!?) makes a lot of good points. Don't be put off by the seemingly large amounts of information that is presented. The best approach is to have a chat with any potential GM to find out how they will run their game and what they expect from you as a player.

In the end the best advice is don't give up if your first few games don't go well - persevere and you will find a game which you enjoy, where players and the GMs fit in with your style of play and which gives you what you want. Like all things in life, it might take a while to find what you're looking for.

Oh, and support the GM - if you can't attend a game let them know. If you play in an ongoing campaign but don't want to continue, don't just stop attending - send a quick PM to the GM and just say "Sorry, it's not for me - thanks for having me." This will allow the GM to look for another player and not wonder where you have gone! Basically, be a nice person and show some manners! :-)

Lol....definitely not related, but a funny coincidence.

I agree completely, I try to be respectful to all persons involved, it's easy to give notification of what's going on, I know not everyone can be at everything all the time, but it's nice let others know for sure.

Macgreine
August 13th, 2013, 18:26
Kirkner I may have a spot for you. Check your pm and email me when you get a chance.

Andrepartthree
August 13th, 2013, 20:52

:-)

Hmmm.. I should mention that the fierce debate between 3.0/3.5 and 4.0 lovers I witnessed was YEARS ago here on FG ,no doubt making my observation very dated :P .. but it happened believe me .. I watched with dismay as two people (I won't reprint their names here out of respect to them both) ripped into each other becoming increasingly personal and angry with their flame-war attacks :( as the " Why one gaming system is better than another" debate.. almost seemed more like a verbal fist-fight actually :( ...continued to rage on between the two .. I guess that's just the kind of thing that pops up on pretty much every internet forum whether FG or not :( .... I'd reprint the thread here but then I'd feel like I was making my own personal attack on the two in an (albeit not deliberate) attempt to embarrass them...yes I'm one of those new age hippie guys who wants everyone to just get along :P ...

Somehow I think we have a certain number of real-life Sheldons from the "Big Bang Theory" TV show so you can imagine just what kind of thing they would post or reply-post :P .. not EVERY person here on FG mind you but a certain number (if you haven't watched Big Bang Theory do yourself a favor and watch an episode right now, hilarious just for Sheldon alone and I think most people here would be amused by all the geek references to star wars, star trek and other type stuff :P ) .. though again the flame wars I witnessed on that and other topics were were like an eternity ago ,should have mentioned that too I guess...

Andrepartthree
August 13th, 2013, 20:56
Awesome information and feedback, I definitely appreciate it!

I was contacted about a game, but have not yet had a chance to get my foot in the door. Though I do not have any experience with 3.0-4.0 D&D, I do have a ton of 2.0 (AD&D) experience. I will definitely pick up a copy of the new Player's Handbook for 3.0 at least to get adjusted to the new rules and such, plus I just like to read through those for fun regardless.

I do think I'm a pretty friendly and open minded guy, plus I love to role play. Definitely understand that the specific DM sets the rules and I'm not one of those players who is nitpicky about rules and such, I'm just there for the immersion and good time that's come with that.

Also, definitely mature, though I tend to get somewhat annoyed with the immature / non-realistic type players, but that's all part of it I know.

I love the aspect of creating a new character with the works, full back story, their appearance, personality. I think doing this definitely helps the DM to develop their story around their players, plus it better engrosses the player in the game.

This is going to sound really dumb :P but .. everyone you just mentioned - recap that as part of your PM to a GM when you're looking for a game (unless of course the Macgreine game invitation works out for you guys in which case I guess you don't have to worry about it ! :P ) .. sounds stupid I know but GM's love to hear everything you just mentioned - I know if I was a GM recruiting on here (which I will be again some day - sigh :( ) everything you just mentioned would be of great interest to me :) ... or just direct 'em back to this thread with a link I guess ;) ...

JohnD
August 13th, 2013, 21:23
I would say this as an almost full-time DM: finding a reliable player is gold. Just like for a player finding a reliable DM is gold.

Everyone understands that Real Life happens and scheduled games get missed... but if at all possible when this happens do what you can to let your DM (and fellow players!) know. It really sucks big time when a player just up and stops attending out of the blue. Even just a quick email or PM - sorry this isn't going to work - with a bit of a reason is likely highly appreciated.

Another thing is the persistence. You may very well find a few groups that implode before you catch on with a stable, solid and reliable group of players who have found the same characteristics in a DM. Stick with it.

You seem to be well grounded and I am sure you'll find something.

kirkner03
August 13th, 2013, 21:41
I would say this as an almost full-time DM: finding a reliable player is gold. Just like for a player finding a reliable DM is gold.

Everyone understands that Real Life happens and scheduled games get missed... but if at all possible when this happens do what you can to let your DM (and fellow players!) know. It really sucks big time when a player just up and stops attending out of the blue. Even just a quick email or PM - sorry this isn't going to work - with a bit of a reason is likely highly appreciated.

Another thing is the persistence. You may very well find a few groups that implode before you catch on with a stable, solid and reliable group of players who have found the same characteristics in a DM. Stick with it.

You seem to be well grounded and I am sure you'll find something.

Andrepartthree: I was responding to your helpful thread, but I'll pass this along to any GM's that I happen upon for sure, thanks again for the help.

JohnD: thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely keep plugging until I land something solid. Thanks for the advice and guidance, I appreciate all of the good people and positive feedback, it has been hugely helpful.

dr_venture
August 14th, 2013, 07:15

I'd like to second all of JohnD's comments - I'm finally getting a solid group of players in my Greyhawk game, and it's taken so long that the regulars now didn't even start the adventure - it's a whole new crew, which makes storytelling a bit difficult. But they seem happy and I think we can plan on some longer story arcs now. But along the way I had at least 7 to 10 players not work out - some like John himself had legit problems with the technical side of joining my game session via Hamachi - these things happen. However, many just disappeared on me with little to no notice. Just sending your GM a quick note to give them a head's up is the polite thing to do.

Stick with it - you'll find something. If you'd be interested in an semi-realistic Old West game, send me a PM :)

Valarian
August 14th, 2013, 15:11
If you're not completely wedded to the idea of D&D or Pathfinder, I'll be running a Saturday game starting in September. It will be an evening game UK time, which would probably be mid-afternoon for you. The game will be using the Fate Core system, and the setting is the Babylon 5 universe.

More Info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19359-Babylon-5-(Fate-Core)-Saturdays-8pm-UK-time

kirkner03
August 14th, 2013, 17:49
If you're not completely wedded to the idea of D&D or Pathfinder, I'll be running a Saturday game starting in September. It will be an evening game UK time, which would probably be mid-afternoon for you. The game will be using the Fate Core system, and the setting is the Babylon 5 universe.

More Info: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19359-Babylon-5-(Fate-Core)-Saturdays-8pm-UK-time

Thank you for the offer, I will consider it for sure. Macgreine, was kinda enough to offer me a spot in his PF campaign, so I'll cut my teeth there for starters.

Andrepartthree
August 14th, 2013, 22:48

Yep yep ... I mentioned D&D and pathfinder only because they seem to be the most popular games played here on FG but they're by no means the only ones ;) ... and I'm sure that if you decide to join his game being new to FG / Fate core system is not a problem and that Valarian and his players will happily walk you through it (if I'm wrong I'm sure Valerian will correct me ;) , I'm kind of generalizing here I know :P but on the other hand in all the years I've been playing FG I have not yet met a grumpy GM or player who's all like " You don't know the rules ? SCREW YOU GET OUT OF HERE ! " :P ) ... I actually played in a fun world of darkness game (not D&D or pathfinder ;) ) run by a great GM ( unerwünscht ) ... one of our players was new to the world of darkness rules and FG but he caught on quickly and did an amazing job of role playing out his character's personality / background and was a great guy to boot (yes I'm talking about you Vemocleus, sorry to embarrass you in public like that :P ) ..

kirkner03
August 14th, 2013, 23:01

Thanks for the offer, I'm going to cut my teeth on Macgreine PF game, but I appreciate you looking out for me for sure.

Macgreine
August 15th, 2013, 03:15

Done.

Valarian
August 15th, 2013, 06:53
... and I'm sure that if you decide to join his game being new to FG / Fate core system is not a problem and that Valarian and his players will happily walk you through it (if I'm wrong I'm sure Valerian will correct me ;)
You're not wrong :) I mentioned D&D and Pathfinder as the OP stated that those systems were the preferred systems.

Fate Core has an advantage that the rules are available on a pay-what-you-like basis, including free. So you can download the rules and, if you like the look of them, drop Evil Hat $5 or $10.

damned
August 15th, 2013, 10:17
if you can drag your butt out of bed real early on a Saturday morning Ive got a Castles&Crusades campaign running... next game is this saturday. C&C is (IMHO) the best of AD&D and some modern mechanics.

kirkner03
August 15th, 2013, 12:18
if you can drag your butt out of bed real early on a Saturday morning Ive got a Castles&Crusades campaign running... next game is this saturday. C&C is (IMHO) the best of AD&D and some modern mechanics.

Thanks for all of the offers, I'm excited that the community is this active and as my time frees up I will definitely be looking at joining some of other games. Right now, I've committed to playing in Macgreine's campaign, he has been most helpful and communicative in the process so far.

Thanks again all for the responses and help!

Kuulpb
August 19th, 2013, 18:29
I'm new to FG too, but have no experience, can anyone help me?

Kuulpb
August 19th, 2013, 18:29
also, I cannot access TeamSpeak of any kind.

dr_venture
August 19th, 2013, 18:45
I'm new to FG too, but have no experience, can anyone help me?

I bet we can. Give us a little idea of your background with RPGs and what rule systems you know or are interested in (if any), and we can go from there. If you don't have much RPG experience, maybe tell us a bit about why you're interested in playing, and style of game that sounds fun... fantasy, sci-fi, old west, pulp fiction, etc.

When you say "I cannot access TeamSpeak of any kind," does that mean you cannot participate in any voice chat games, or you just don't have the software installed?

Kuulpb
August 19th, 2013, 19:14
well, in all honesty I just hate using TS, i'm very insecure in general, so, despite me actually hacing access to TS3, I forbid myself using it, as it makes me feel too uncomfortable, I tried ts once, but not anymore :( is that ok, or too much of a hindrance? and my only background to rpgs would be ones that may be classed as rpgs? such as Dragon Quest IX, Guild Wars, Guild wars 2 and World of Warcraft, if any count as an RPG, then DQIX does, compared to others, sorry if i'm bothering you with my questions :(

Trenloe
August 19th, 2013, 19:16
well, in all honesty I just hate using TS, i'm very insecure in general, so, despite me actually hacing access to TS3, I forbid myself using it, as it makes me feel too uncomfortable, I tried ts once, but not anymore :( is that ok, or too much of a hindrance?
This might restrict games that you can play. Look for "text only" games - games where you will communicate by typing in the FG chat window.

Kuulpb
August 19th, 2013, 20:15
Quick question, I've tried looking at how to make a character, but it doesn't work -_-, how am I supposed to do it, preferable without buying anything.

dr_venture
August 19th, 2013, 21:53
well, in all honesty I just hate using TS, i'm very insecure in general, so, despite me actually hacing access to TS3, I forbid myself using it, as it makes me feel too uncomfortable, I tried ts once, but not anymore :( is that ok, or too much of a hindrance?

It can be a hindrance, as so many people like to use voice chat to play. As Tren noted, you want to find text-only games. That's my preferred style of game for a number of reasons, and if I had an opening I'd offer, but my games are booked up at the moment. But there are some of us who enjoy that style of playing, so you're not alone there :)

my only background to rpgs would be ones that may be classed as rpgs? such as Dragon Quest IX, Guild Wars, Guild wars 2 and World of Warcraft, if any count as an RPG, then DQIX does, compared to others, sorry if i'm bothering you with my questions :(

It sounds like most of your experience has been in computer RPGs, and you're looking to try out a "pen and paper" game ala Dungeons and Dragons. As long as you can find a group that you're comfortable with, you should have a blast. I'd suggest you start with a "rules-lite" game to get started (some games have fairly involved rules, which might be a distraction while you get your sea legs, especially in a text-only game), then see where your interests take you.

Chin up, my friend, the folks around here are super friendly, and no matter which game system you find yourself interested in, you're likely to find really helpful and nice folks who are ready to help. No need for insecurity, we've all been where you are now: learning the ropes. Honestly, those times when I was really learning how RPGs worked are some of my best memories of gaming, simply because I hadn't figured it all out yet... which made it feel more dangerous and let me lose myself in the game, rather than being distracted by game mechanics. So relax and enjoy :D It can take a little while to find the right game, but it's worth hanging in there to find something that suits you.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2013, 22:36
Quick question, I've tried looking at how to make a character, but it doesn't work -_-, how am I supposed to do it, preferable without buying anything.
You can't create a character in the "manage characters" window of an unregistered client.

You can, however, load a demo campaign and make a character in there. The issue is that with a demo campaign nothing is saved - so when you exit the campaign your character will be lost. After all, the demo campaign is to allow you to see how to use the product and play around with it - but not to replace full functionality that is found the the licenced product.