PDA

View Full Version : Effects issues

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 13:38
Running Pathfinder, and I'm having a few issues with effects. First, some of the effects, even if set for 1 round are turning off after 1 attack. Second, and I'm hoping (and pretty sure) this is just user error, I can't seem to get the effects to work from cast spells. Example: Bless; I've got the effect listed in the spell for our cleric, and she'll target the whole of the team, and cast the spell. The system shows that Imani cast spell on Twitch, Imani cast spell on Davos, etc, but the effect doesn't get applied to the characters (all of this done from the combat tracker). I then have to manually apply the effect to everyone. Is there an option setting that will allow characters to apply effects?

It would be especially nice since I have an Inquisitor in the group that is a toolbox who changes his judgements all the time, and uses a bow with point blank, and rapid shot! Combat about stops when he comes up because I have to change things.

gmkieran
August 8th, 2013, 13:58
Iirc, player controlled effects are coming in v3.0 - it's been mentioned in a few threads here and there. I don't believe there is any functionality to automatically apply spell effects to targets, however, so someone is going to have to manually apply them, be it GM or players. As for turning off after 1 attack, what effects and when are you applying them? It *might* be a matter of applying the effect after the affected characters turn so that it lasts until the following turn for that character, but without knowing which effects it's kinda hard to say.

Cheers!
GMK

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 14:13
Inquistior's Bane; ATK: 2 DMG: 2d6 magic

That's the effect, and it works correctly, just disappears after the attack roll, before the damage roll. Not a big deal now that we're used to it, but I'd like to figure out why it drops. I have it set for 1 rnd, but I've also set it for 1 min, with the same results. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the extra damage, rather than the time the effect is set for.

Gwaihir Scout
August 8th, 2013, 14:48
You probably have one of the parameters to the left of the effect (the lower one) set to "Roll" rather than to "All." I believe you should also have a semicolon between "ATK: 2" and "DMG"

Malkavian_Andi
August 8th, 2013, 15:37
You probably have one of the parameters to the left of the effect (the lower one) set to "Roll" rather than to "All." I believe you should also have a semicolon between "ATK: 2" and "DMG"
That was my first thought as well. You should definitely check for that. And yes, the different parts of the effect need to be seperated with a semicolon.

Example: Bless; I've got the effect listed in the spell for our cleric, and she'll target the whole of the team, and cast the spell. The system shows that Imani cast spell on Twitch, Imani cast spell on Davos, etc, but the effect doesn't get applied to the characters (all of this done from the combat tracker). I then have to manually apply the effect to everyone. Is there an option setting that will allow characters to apply effects? For spells that just apply an effect, don't click on the cast button. That one only triggers attack rolls, spell resistance checks, and saves neccessary for the spell.
To apply the effect, target all tokens you want to apply the effect to, and then double-click on the effect. Be sure to have the upper parameter on the left set to "target".

For effects that will only be applied to the character generating the effect (like an inquisitor's judgment), set the "target" parameter to "self" by clicking on it once. That way, when you double-click the effect, it will always be applied to the character who activated the effect, regardless of which tokens that character has targeted. This makes combat a bit faster, and you won't accidently apply stuff like judgments or Power Attack to your opponent.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2013, 16:03
As an addition - if the player brings up the "Mini" character sheet (press the "MINI" button at the bottom left character sheet) and they open the "Actions" tab of this mini sheet, any effects that spells/actions have will be shown as buttons. This makes it very easy to apply effects - if the effect is set as TRGT (as mentioned by Malkavian_Andi above) then you will need to select the intended targets before clicking the effect button once, if the effect is set as SELF then you just need to press the effect button once to apply the effect to yourself, not matter what tokens are selected.

Make one spell per effect/action and it will make it really quick and easy to apply affects. Just don't go nuts pressing buttons all over the place as the GM has to remove any mistakes. ;)

Trenloe
August 8th, 2013, 16:45
As an example, here is how I set up some effects for my Ranger/Rogue in lachancery's excellent Kingmaker campaign:

Full character sheet (actions tab). Note: 1 effect per spell, this will give one line entry per effect in the MINI sheet. These are all set to "SELF" as they are being applied to me:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Effects%201.jpg

Mini sheet (actions tab) with effects application button indicated:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Effects%202.jpg

I usually leave these to last for 1 round (as I have multiple attacks) and they expire at the start of my next turn. Just reapply them if you need them again - with the simple click of a button.

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 18:15
Awesome! Thanks Trenloe