PDA

View Full Version : Issue with saving data in cloud

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 13:31
I've changed my appdata folder to be on my SkyDrive, so I can continue to work on my campaign, while mobile. Which worked fine, for a while. Unfortunately, I noticed last night that my two computers are now out of sync. The campaign added a new player, which shows up on my main computer that I run the game from, but does not show up on my laptop, which I do my game input during the week while travelling (this is all running an ultimate license).

My question is this, did something change in an update that will not allow this kind of use? It was a real boon to be able to work on this while away from my computer at home. There's not a whole lot to do in the evenings while on the road, so furthering my campaign was choice. If not, how can I get the two computers in sync again?

Trenloe
August 8th, 2013, 16:08
Nothing has changed in terms of the campaign files that FG uses and who it uses them. Make sure you have not loaded the same campaign on 2 computers at the same time! ;)

I'd guess that either your skydrive did not sync the change properly, or one of your installs is not storing the data in the correct place. To check, open FG and on the first screen press the "Settings" button. In the window that appears check where the "Data directory" is pointing to - this is where FG stores all of its info, including the campaign data.

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 16:32
I did check the settings and they point to the same place on both computers. It looks like the laptop is now using data from about 3 sessions ago. It's just weird. If I create a new campaign, and export it for module, it looks like that information is then available on both computers, it's just the main campaign that's not syncing correctly. Definitely a headscratcher.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2013, 16:51
I don't use SkyDrive so can't comment. But, it sounds like an issue with SkyDrive not syncing your campaign. Be careful if it suddenly starts working because if it syncs from your laptop you *may* lose up-to-date campaign info.

If you're running a campaign I find it is good practice to backup the campaign folder before you play and after - a quick "folder zip" just in case something goes wrong later. This would be more important if you are using some sync mechanism across more than 1 computer - if that screws up you could lose a lot of campaign data!

Tycandus
August 8th, 2013, 18:04
Already hit that panic button the other day. I try to routinely back that info up.

Looking at the appdata folder on the Skydrive, I can see that the files update with the correct date/time info, but the two computers still pull different info. I'll keep digging into it, and let you know what I find.

Tycandus
August 13th, 2013, 13:42
Just as a head's up to anyone else that has this issue. Sky drive requires a security code for a reconnection to each PC that you use to connect to your SkyDrive. Even if the SkyDrive is listed in your "favorites". Unless you indicate it, it will require a new security code EVERY time that you login to that pc. If you select to always connect, you will connect everytime you login, and will sync up with your skydrive on the net.