PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't we be advertising our PFS games on the Paizo boards?

hawkwind
August 6th, 2013, 12:35
here https://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderSociety/grandLodgeOnlinePlay ?
If only to show the rest of the world that there is an alternative to Roll 20?

lachancery
August 6th, 2013, 13:12
Yes, I have been doing that. My last few games all had at least one player new to FG, and I received another email for each game from others who didn't go through the steps of creating their character XML. I have been trying to announce my games two weeks ahead of time to give Paizo users a chance to see the announcement and contact me.

RobG
August 6th, 2013, 15:23
Yeah I've done that too. Picked up a few players. Not really looking for more people on Saturday nights now though.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2013, 16:06
Yep, did it for FG Con 2 as well. Got a few people that way.

Of course, if you've filled up your slot there's not much point in posting your event on the Paizo boards.

lachancery
August 6th, 2013, 18:03
Of course, if you've filled up your slot there's not much point in posting your event on the Paizo boards.

I'd like to challenge that statement, boss. It leaves a trail on Paizo's events pages, which might lure new potential players to FG. Even if a table is full, that free visibility is good for our little community. :)

hawkwind
August 6th, 2013, 18:14
Plus one on that, it's all about visibility, if you want fantasy Grounds to survive people of got to have heard of it before they realise that it's better for Pathfinder than using Roll20.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2013, 18:18
I'd like to challenge that statement, boss. It leaves a trail on Paizo's events pages, which might lure new potential players to FG. Even if a table is full, that free visibility is good for our little community. :)
Good point. My only concern would be that a potential new player sees the event, comes along and finds it full, doesn't see any other events and goes away with a less than satisfactory opinion of PFS on FG.

But, thinking about it, there is no difference from posting the event on Paizo.com when you have spaces and then your game fills up and the event is still on Paizo.com.

Go nuts - put 'em all on the events page! :)

lachancery
August 6th, 2013, 18:27
In the description of my games, and for link, I usually put the URL point to the game thread directly so newcomers see the announcement and follow-up messages from other players joining. I'll think about adding up a standard paragraph to the description of my game to point to the PFS forum and the announcement thread, so that newcomers don't just end up on a full game, they have the rest of the PFS community to look at. We're having a decent beat this summer with 1-2 game every week. That level of activity should be enough to convince some to dig deeper and investigate if FG is for them.

The biggest hurdle for newcomers I have seen is getting their characters ready for FG (a burden I have taken on myself as GM to finish up the conversion and help the newcomers), and the general admin side for people who are not familiar with PFS at all.

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2013, 15:21
I generally have been doing this right along. If you define your event as 'public' it automatically lists it on the paizo events page.

hawkwind
August 9th, 2013, 09:24
I notice in one of the threads our new online venture captain gives a summary of the responses he has had from online PFS GM’s

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pz9t?Most-Common-VTTs-and-Communication-Tools-for
I was surprised that D20pro edged ahead of Fantasy grounds then I remembered that I had mentioned in my reply that I have d20pro licence….not used it since getting into fantasy grounds!

RobG
August 9th, 2013, 09:43
Didn't know he was making a list. I send him my details :-)