PDA

View Full Version : Questions on magus multiclassing

Gertak
August 4th, 2013, 01:21
I was thinking of making an Eldritch Knight and realized the Magus(Skirnir archetype) may be the perfect 1 level dip you need to meet the all martial weapons requirement of the Eldritch Knight prestige class. The reading of the spellstrike ability seems to imply you can use spellstrike with any spellcasting class, as long the spell is on the list of magus spells. I wanted to get other peoples opinions if this is correct, though, before I tried doing it.

Spellstrike (Su): At 2nd level, whenever a magus casts a spell with a range of “touch” from the magus spell list, he can deliver the spell through any weapon he is wielding as part of a melee attack.

Assuming that is correct, the second question is about Sorcerous Shield:

Sorcerous Shield (Ex): At 1st level, skirnirs are proficient with all types of shields, including tower shields, and do not suffer an arcane spell failure chance when casting magus spells while using a shield.

It says "magus spells" for no arcane spell failure chance and not "from the magus spell list" so would that mean I could or could not ignore spell failure chance casting a wizard spell that is also on the magus spell list?

Thanks in advance.

Mgrancey
August 4th, 2013, 07:50
I'm guessing you already checked on Paizo forums but didn't find a specific answer.

I was thinking of making an Eldritch Knight and realized the Magus(Skirnir archetype) may be the perfect 1 level dip you need to meet the all martial weapons requirement of the Eldritch Knight prestige class. The reading of the spellstrike ability seems to imply you can use spellstrike with any spellcasting class, as long the spell is on the list of magus spells. I wanted to get other peoples opinions if this is correct, though, before I tried doing it.
From reading Magus, Skirnir, and eldritch knight. Yes, as you determined.

It says "magus spells" for no arcane spell failure chance and not "from the magus spell list" so would that mean I could or could not ignore spell failure chance casting a wizard spell that is also on the magus spell list?
Technically no. Magus spells would be spell slots gained from Magus class, while if you were to take levels in wizard those spell slots would technically be wizard spell slots, as if you were to take wizard and cleric levels they don't combine. Technically, you would need to keep two different spellcaster section in the actions tab, one for magus spell slots and one for wizard spell slots. You could use spells gained as a wizard in magus spell slots, as long as they were on magus list.

That being said, it would be up to the GM if playing in a local campaign; PFS would be no. The ethical selection of two arcane spellcasting classes would be up the GM as well, though so far as I know its not illegal.