PDA

View Full Version : Images and Chase tool problems

grapper
July 25th, 2013, 16:33
I've been having some intermittent problems with my maps/Images in the SW ruleset. The problem started before the update to 3.4 and has persisted even after.

The problem is that some maps (.jpg images) will cause an xml error (image reference not found or something like that) and after that any time I try to open any image it just comes up blank until I close and relaunch the session. When this happens, my players can still open previously shared maps (including the one that generated the error). The problem seemed to happen most frequently with very large maps.

Possibly related to this is some strangeness with where in the images window (select box). When I drop an image in during a session, the image appears on one of the module tabs instead of in the main campaign tab.

Lastly, and probably unrelated. After upgrading to v. 3.4 of the SW ruleset, the chase tool seems to be broken. When I shared the chase window with my players no character (PC or NPC) showed up to them regardless of their visibility setting. I tried toggling to allow them to open/close the chase tool and that did not fix things. (in the previous version when the players closed and opened the chase or init tracker tool it would refresh for them fixing issues with cards not updating). At one point while toggling between GM/player open mode I got an xml crash.

Since I was in the middle of trying to finish up an adventure I was bad and didn't save any of the crash logs.

I've been running the same install of FGII since 2009, so I suspect that something may have become corrupted. My current plan is to try a clean install when I have some time, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this. If the problem happens again, I'll save a copy of the xml error list.

Midhir
September 9th, 2013, 17:03
I'm also experiencing the same issue using the Pathfinder rule set. I have 3 jpeg maps and only 1 of 3 works consistently. The other two will sometimes load but most of the time they throw up the "image reference not found..." error listed above and then all that displays is an empty window. Then if I open the other of the 2 files that has problems it too will error in the same way. The 3rd file doesn't seem to have an issue at all.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2013, 17:31
I'm also experiencing the same issue using the Pathfinder rule set. I have 3 jpeg maps and only 1 of 3 works consistently. The other two will sometimes load but most of the time they throw up the "image reference not found..." error listed above and then all that displays is an empty window. Then if I open the other of the 2 files that has problems it too will error in the same way. The 3rd file doesn't seem to have an issue at all.
Are these all of these files stored in the campaign \images directory or are some of them in modules?

Midhir
September 9th, 2013, 18:08
Are these all of these files stored in the campaign \images directory or are some of them in modules?

In my case yes they are all stored in the \images directory.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2013, 18:19
In my case yes they are all stored in the \images directory.
How big are the maps (size in MB)?

Midhir
September 9th, 2013, 18:24
How big are the maps (size in MB)?

Roughly 1.5Mb each, I don't have access to them at the moment. I will get the sizes and post for each one later.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2013, 18:39
Roughly 1.5Mb each, I don't have access to them at the moment. I will get the sizes and post for each one later.
It may be worth trying to reduce the size of the images, but 1.5MB should be OK...

Are you storing your campaign files on cloud storage - e.g. Dropbox or something like that? I'm wondering if there is some sharing/access issue with a background process accessing the image files when FG is trying to access them too.

Midhir
September 9th, 2013, 19:03
It may be worth trying to reduce the size of the images, but 1.5MB should be OK...

Are you storing your campaign files on cloud storage - e.g. Dropbox or something like that? I'm wondering if there is some sharing/access issue with a background process accessing the image files when FG is trying to access them too.

Files are stored on the local computer in the FG directory structure for it's data.

Moon Wizard
September 9th, 2013, 21:26
What are the file names for the files?

Is the issue only on the player side, or both GM and player?

Regards,
JPG

Midhir
September 10th, 2013, 01:02
What are the file names for the files?

Is the issue only on the player side, or both GM and player?

Regards,
JPG

This is on a Windows 7 32bit box (Dual Core 3.0 Ghz) with 4Gb of Memory (3.2 usable do to 32 memory addressing limitations)

Happening on my side the GM side, didn't even get to the player side since I couldn't see the maps:

Located in the \Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\Rise of the Runelords\images

This one always seems to work
RotRL Sandpoint Glassworks Map 01.jpg
size: 1.33 Mb

This one works most of the time
Die, Dog, Die Map.jpg
size: 1.59 Mb

This one has the most problems and usually will cause the above map to exhibit the same issues once it errors
Swallowtail Festival Map.jpg
size: 1.52 Mb

Moon Wizard
September 10th, 2013, 02:50
What version of FG are you running (from the launch screen upper right corner)?

Can you zip up your campaign directory and send to me at [email protected]?

Thanks,
JPG

Midhir
September 11th, 2013, 03:21
What version of FG are you running (from the launch screen upper right corner)?

Can you zip up your campaign directory and send to me at [email protected]?

Thanks,
JPG

I was running the Dev version and 2.9.4 both had the same problem. I just put 4Gb more memory in an reinstalled the x64 version of Win7 Pro. Copied the FGII data directory from the old install to the new and it seems to be working without a problem now.