PDA

View Full Version : Test Release v3.0 (alpha)

Pages : [1] 2

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 07:45
As always, please make a backup of your FG data folder before updating and opening campaigns with a test release.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Dev mode slot contains this version at this point. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

This is a big release with a lot of changes above and below the covers. For this initial week of alpha release, I will only be making this version available in the Dev slot of the updater. I will announce when I move to the Test slot, and you should change over when I do. We typically use the Dev slot for internal testing, but we're currently using the Test slot to handle some hiccups to the big SW update.

Remember, this is an alpha release, which means that it is almost feature complete. However, you should expect minor to major hiccups, and I wouldn't use it for your live game yet until it's had a couple iterations. It has not been tested extensively with any rulesets, though it has been tested with the CoreRPG, 4E, PFRPG, 3.5E and CallOfCthulhu rulesets. You will need to have purchased the CallOfCthulhu ruleset from the store, and enter your login info in the FG Settings to access the CallOfCthulhu ruleset.

The CoreRPG ruleset is now the basis for all the rulesets mentioned above, which means that they are functionally similar in many ways. The goal is to create a system that allows us to more easily update core ruleset functionality across all rulesets, while allowing ruleset developers to save some time by not having to build everything from scratch.

As always, we're a small company so we rely on our community to help sound out each new release. Thanks in advance to all those who pitch in.

Thanks,
JPG

Note 1: When switching back to Live mode, you will need to remove the 3.5E.pak and 4E.pak files from the rulesets subfolder of the FG data folder.

Note 2: For Call of Cthulhu switching back to Live mode, you will need to remove the CallOfCthulhu.pak file from the rulesets subfolder of the FG data folder, and re-install the ruleset from the download available on your order screen.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 07:47
Here is a high-level patch note summary:

New CoreRPG ruleset included as a basis for generic RPG play, or as a base layer for other rulesets.
Modules are now treated like books; GM has full control over access and sharing of all modules
Campaign records can be shared (i.e. made public) without having players connected.
Failed file transfers (images, tokens, modules, portraits) due to network errors will attempt resend.
Buttons added for quick access to data folders for custom campaign files. (images, tokens, etc.)
Overhaul of targeting system. Now token-to-token targeting, instead of player-to-token targeting.
Drag and drop image files onto token bag or campaign images list.
Undo support for formatted text data fields.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Drag and drop item distribution between characters and party sheet
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Sell remaining items at percentage button added to party sheet
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Double-click on token to open PC/NPC data record for tokens linked to combat tracker
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Double-click on PC/NPC data record token field to open map where combat tracker token is located
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Token facing option added
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Token bag is larger and searchable
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Public checkbox in campaign notes
...Lots of developer additions and changes...
...Many other minor changes for client, as well as 4E, PFRPG and 3.5E rulesets...
...And many bug fixes...
(See detailed notes in application directory or web site for more info.)

Here is a link to a complete list of patch notes. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.3.0.html)

JPG

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 07:50
Here are a few of the things that I'm looking for specific feedback on.

New token selection and targeting system (At this point, I only plan to provide some minor graphical updates to what you see; unless feedback dictates other changes.)
List management buttons (What do you think? Any missing that you want to see?)
[3.5E/PFRPG/4E] Remove offense/defense sections in combat tracker to de-clutter now that each combat tracker entry is its own record that can be opened via the link to get quick view of offense/defense stats as well as make attack rolls?
[DEV] CoreRPG roll system generalized from 3.5E/4E roll systems in v2.9.4 (I'm still considering changes to the way this subsystem is built to make it plug and play as it is now, but easier to use. I'd be very interested in getting programmer thoughts on this system. Some considerations include drag vs. double-click support, and number of rolls vs. number of targets. Every game system seems to add a slight twist. Also, what about linked rolls?)

I have some other thoughts as well, but I'll probably save for future versions instead of slowing down this one.

Thanks,
JPG

unerwünscht
July 24th, 2013, 15:24
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FantasyGrounds.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 51edbef3
Fault Module Name: FantasyGrounds.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51edbef3
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0013555a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 39ba
Additional Information 2: 39ba2351101faf70d1ad1190d1a6b8c1
Additional Information 3: dda9
Additional Information 4: dda9bb9d5d68b857ad22885259b314f4

I get this crash anytime I try to launch a game after updating.

saithan
July 24th, 2013, 17:07
I'm having an issue with the installer changing my directory names with gibberish:
Runtime Error: Unable to create directory: C:/Users/ERIC/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds II`c*Ð`c*ÐijÃØóÀ^s‹ø§rÃÀsÃÀsij´¯Çjë

Blackfoot
July 24th, 2013, 17:08
Here are a few of the things that I'm looking for specific feedback on.

New token selection and targeting system (At this point, I only plan to provide some minor graphical updates to what you see; unless feedback dictates other changes.)
Can you no longer select the character's portrait as a token? If this is the case, I don't know that this is an improvement.

List management buttons (What do you think? Any missing that you want to see?)
Honestly, they make things easy to 'see' without a lot of right clicks.. but they clutter up the windows and are somewhat distracting. Maybe a better(more integrated) graphic would improve this issue.

[3.5E/PFRPG/4E] Remove offense/defense sections in combat tracker to de-clutter now that each combat tracker entry is its own record that can be opened via the link to get quick view of offense/defense stats as well as make attack rolls?
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about here... I couldn't find a 'quick view'... unless... you mean opening the monster's sheets...

LOVE the new 'delete effect' button in the tracker!
I like the 'Locks' on the 'Abilities' boxes... this seems like a great idea.

Generally, I'm not a huge fan of the larger fonts, they tend to make things seem cluttered, particularly on the skills page.

Got an error: Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/counter_spell.lua"]:64: attempt to compare number with nil
I copied a monster into the tracker then tried to tick off a spell as having been 'used'... this is in the PF ruleset loading a previously created campaign module with a monster in it.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 17:12
Could I get some more info?

* OS?
* native or in Virtual machine? If VM, which one?
* crash on initial launch, or after trying to launch campaign? If campaign, which ruleset?
* FG Settings other than license key?
* anything else you think might help recreate?

Thanks,
JPG

saithan
July 24th, 2013, 17:18
windows 7 pro
no crashing yet just seems to now want to properly store my paths
no other settings other than dev
running as administrator.

Blackfoot
July 24th, 2013, 18:19
I hit this error when trying to open the 'parcels' as a client in the PF ruleset:
Runtime Error: Unable to create window with data source (parcellist : treasureparcels)
The campaign is bare bones and there have been no parcels created.

unerwünscht
July 24th, 2013, 18:45
For my crash it happens everytime I try to launch a game regardless of ruleset.
I am running Windows 7 native with all current updates.
UI Scale is set to 100%
Cross-Platform compatibility mode is off
I have tried with debug mode off and on
Obviously I am set to Dev mode
I do have dual monitors (it crashes regardless of what monitor I launch on)
I have closed out all non-Windows process trees with the exception of avast! anti-virus (I can't turn that one off)
Fantasy Grounds is running in Admin mode.

That is about everything I can think of that might be of use.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 23:07
Unerwünscht,
It sounds like you can see the launcher, but not launch any campaigns. Is that correct? If so, have you tried doing a clean install? (I.e. rename current core and data folders, and reinstall). I'm wondering if it might be related to something else loading from your data directory, such as tokens, images, portraits, etc.

Saithan,
If you set the directory path using the browse button, do they stay set correctly?

Blackfoot,
The font was always too small on almost every screen I display it on, so I bumped up the font size from 9 to 11. Which screens do you feel are too crowded? Maybe it can be adjusted in window design? We can perhaps try playing with 10 point as well, but I want to give this a chance.

Do you have alternatives for the list management graphics? One of the biggest complaints from new users is not knowing what to do on screens ,and I think the list buttons help a lot. I felt the current ones were pretty low key, but we can play with them too.

In the combat tracker, there is currently a sword and shield icon that open up details of the CT combatant. These are the sections that I've considered removing now that each CT entry is a unique full record.

The character portrait can still be used as a token, but I believe it can not currently be dragged from the character list to the CT directly. It can be dragged to a map, or to the char sheet token slot, I think. I will need to investigate.

I'll look into the other script errors as well. I suspect the rebuild created some disconnects that I'll patch up as we go.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
July 24th, 2013, 23:17
Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/desktop.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'ChatManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "ps/scripts/manager_ps2.lua"]:208: attempt to index global 'PartyManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:13: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_token2.lua"]:28: attempt to index global 'TokenManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_version2.lua"]:16: attempt to index local 'aMajor' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_ability.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActionsManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_attack.lua"]:10: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_effect.lua"]:22: attempt to index global 'ActionsManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_heal.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActionsManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_init.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_skill.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActionsManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_spell.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "scripts/fontchat.lua"]:16: attempt to index global 'OOBManager' (a nil value)

I also had the Dev version crash on me... and...
Hrm... switching back to the Live version didn't go too well. I get a black screen and the above errors when loading or creating a campaign.
Windows 7...
Brand new campaign with no extensions...

Blackfoot
July 24th, 2013, 23:25
Deleting the new .pak files from the rulesets folder cleared up the problem in the 'Live' version.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 23:36
Thanks for the reports. In addition to everything else, we're also trying to consolidate data file locations and allow the updater to clean up old files. ;)

JPG

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2013, 00:00
That is correct, the launcher loads, when I create or load an existing game the application crashes.
Just did a full uninstall/reinstall from the installer on the downloads page, and no luck, the entire program still crashes when I either load a campaign or create a new one.

Tracked it down to one of the old files in the app data folder, just have to try one at a time till I figure out what file it is.

We tracked the issue down to my old tokens folder. Not sure what is causing the issue in it, yet.

Blackfoot
July 25th, 2013, 01:11
Actually.. mine started crashing when I started messing with the folders inside the tokens box also.

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2013, 03:52
Update (July 24, 2013)

Crash when individual tokens placed in root of tokens/host or tokens/shared. Fixed.
Script errors when using mode or spell counters in NPC record. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2013, 05:42
Update #2 (July 24, 2013)

Layout issue for windows with defined placement tags embedded within subwindows. Fixed. (affected all character sheets in rulesets derived from d20 ruleset originally)

Update #3 (July 24, 2013)

Portrait tokens could not be dragged from character list. Fixed. (for all rulesets that supported already)

JPG

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2013, 17:24
Heads up Moon. Avast! Anti-Virus just started reporting FantasyGrounds.exe as "suspicious" today. Saying "We have analysed the program and did not find enough evidence to identify the file as malware. However, you should use extreme caution when accessing it. The file uses some code that is similar in nature to a trojan and malware."

Nickademus
July 25th, 2013, 19:16
:O

Joo h@xx0r me!?

Leonal
July 25th, 2013, 19:44
We'll be trying a session with 3.0 tomorrow. Will bring any issues we encounter.

Another comment on the text size. Now it's way too big. The inventory treasure area can barely hold two words on a line, and the short spell descriptions have very little room. The action, inventory and skill tabs require much more scrolling now. I would definitely prefer to be able to adjust the character sheet size and/or the font size manually, should the standard be this big. (running 1920x1080 on a 21" monitor)

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2013, 21:07
Unerwünscht, any pointers on where to find more info from avast on that message? It's very vague, and noncommittal.

Leonal, thanks for the feedback on font size. I might try taking it down to 10 point for the next cycle. Also, v3.0 is still very alpha, so it may not be ready for a session. If you do, just make sure to backup campaign before using, and review instructions/notes to revert to v2.9.4 in first post, just in case.

I'm traveling for the next several days, so my access will be sporadic.

Thanks,
JPG

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2013, 23:31
No idea of another place to get the info, it came up in a series of pop up windows when I updated today. Specifically said something about fg_get... but as it was truncated and there was not a "more info" button, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2013, 05:04
That's just the update check going out to see if there are any updates. Anybody else getting a hit on this from their AV software?

JPG

Leonal
July 26th, 2013, 17:55
Unerwünscht, any pointers on where to find more info from avast on that message? It's very vague, and noncommittal.

Leonal, thanks for the feedback on font size. I might try taking it down to 10 point for the next cycle. Also, v3.0 is still very alpha, so it may not be ready for a session. If you do, just make sure to backup campaign before using, and review instructions/notes to revert to v2.9.4 in first post, just in case.

I'm traveling for the next several days, so my access will be sporadic.

Thanks,
JPG

Thanks for the reply. Is it as simple as to just edit one specific file (if so which? edit: (found the graphics_fonts.xml file and editing it worked fine)), or is it more complex? I'm asking because at least in my group we were perfectly fine with 9 points, and could probably do with 8 points too. I am sure preferences differs widely depending on users' eyesight, thus being able to change it on a user level would be great.

Another request, while more complex, would be to have the option to resize the character window like we can with all the others. (Adding this to the request page, if not already there).

Moon Wizard
July 26th, 2013, 18:57
Yes, the graphics_font is the place to change.

The challenge with resizable character sheets is more design and historical, since the original d20 sheets were fixed size.

Not sure if per user fonts is in the cards for this release, since it would require new features and testing. However, the UI scale setting can be customized on a per user basis. This works great for monitors with high DPI.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
July 26th, 2013, 22:56
Just played a 5 hour PFRPG session on 3.0.0 and it worked very well (except that my heroic Paladin/Oracle died). We don't use all the features (never use items or parcels), but encountered no errors during play.

Only comment I have is about size. The font we fixed in the graphics_fonts.xml file resizing most down to size 9 which worked more or less OK. Additionally the token bag and tokens within were so big it ended up looking odd.

primarch
July 29th, 2013, 22:51
Hi!

Question for Moon Wizard.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but how do I make or modify a ruleset? I think I was expecting some kind of GUI for "editing" the core ruleset and thus be able to modify it to my taste. I assume this function does not exist? How does having the core RPG ruleset facilitate making/modifying one for use in other games?

I guess it is still done the "old way" (i.e not easy if you don't know scripting/coding), just that now there is a "common ruleset" to provide a base?

How is this different from before for those of us without scripting/ coding knowledge?

My thanks for the clarifications.

Primarch

DingoSoulEater
July 30th, 2013, 01:27
Two things;

Firstly is there anything in particular that you want tested/pushed? I've done some basic gaming with my (small) group and haven't run into any significant problems, though much as others here - that's without really stepping out of the Fantasy Grounds usage norms.

Secondly;

Are there plans at all to change how Effects can be handled or to add new effects and-or parameters? Currently they can only be applied as a universal effect to a character via the Combat Tracker. Is it possible (whether in the new FG Core, or by Ruleset extensions/m0odifications) to create more for this? Such as Effects to apply on specific weapons, etcetera?

Dakadin
July 30th, 2013, 03:55
Hi!

Question for Moon Wizard.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but how do I make or modify a ruleset? I think I was expecting some kind of GUI for "editing" the core ruleset and thus be able to modify it to my taste. I assume this function does not exist? How does having the core RPG ruleset facilitate making/modifying one for use in other games?

I guess it is still done the "old way" (i.e not easy if you don't know scripting/coding), just that now there is a "common ruleset" to provide a base?

How is this different from before for those of us without scripting/ coding knowledge?

My thanks for the clarifications.

Primarch

There isn't a GUI for editing. It is similiar to the old way but it does allow you to use a ruleset as a base. MW created a CoreRPG ruleset that you can leverage as a base and just build off of it. Just provide this in your base.xml file below the description section:

<importruleset source="CoreRPG" />

You will then have a ruleset where you can just update the pieces you want or need to change.

primarch
July 30th, 2013, 20:40
There isn't a GUI for editing. It is similiar to the old way but it does allow you to use a ruleset as a base. MW created a CoreRPG ruleset that you can leverage as a base and just build off of it. Just provide this in your base.xml file below the description section:

You will then have a ruleset where you can just update the pieces you want or need to change.

Hi!

Pardon my simplistic questions, since I have never made or modified a rule set so bear with me. :)

That code line, which base.xml file would it go? The one you wish to modify? Say I want to modify the 4e one I would put it in that one?

I'm guessing that code line is to modify an existing rule set, how much modification does it allow?

One of my hopes was to be able to make a DCC RPG rule set, but lacking the special dice, It doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for fielding my questions.

Primarch

Dakadin
July 30th, 2013, 21:09
No need to apologize.

That line would actually be in a new ruleset that you wanted to base off of the CoreRPG ruleset. I don't know much about the DCC RPG but here is a skeleton of a base.xml file you could just add to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<!--
Please see the license.html file included with this distribution for
attribution and copyright information.
-->

<root version="3.0" release="1" logo="logo.png">
<!-- Attributes -->
<description>
<text>DCC RPG</text>
<author>Primarch</author>
<website>https://www.goodmangames.com/dungeoncrawlclassics.html</website>
</description>

<!-- Add any changes or additions you would like to make below here just like an extension -->

</root>

If you put this in a folder in rulesets folder, you will be able to create a campaign with it. It will just have the CoreRPG functionality to start but then you can slowly make changes by adding new content to the base.xml file and adding the appropriate files it refers to.

Keep asking questions if you have them too. :)

primarch
July 30th, 2013, 22:38
No need to apologize.

That line would actually be in a new ruleset that you wanted to base off of the CoreRPG ruleset. I don't know much about the DCC RPG but here is a skeleton of a base.xml file you could just add to:

<!--
-->

<root version="3.0" release="1" logo="logo.png">
<!-- Attributes -->
<description>
<text>DCC RPG</text>
<author>Primarch</author>
<website>https://www.goodmangames.com/dungeoncrawlclassics.html</website>
</description>

<!-- Add any changes or additions you would like to make below here just like an extension -->

</root>

If you put this in a folder in rulesets folder, you will be able to create a campaign with it. It will just have the CoreRPG functionality to start but then you can slowly make changes by adding new content to the base.xml file and adding the appropriate files it refers to.

Keep asking questions if you have them too. :)

Hi!

I thank you kindly sir!

I will schedule some time to tinker with this in the next few days, so if any questions arise I will gladly post them for your answer.

Thanks!

Primarch

spacce1889
July 31st, 2013, 01:00
like a lot of what i see. having issues with reopening a file after it gets converted. "Error on line 41570: Error reading end tag."

edit
found the problem many undeads had a common table in description coded:

</table><b> Alignment:</b> Always neutral evil.</p>
<p><b>Type:</b> The creature's type changes to undead. It retains any subtype except for alignment subtypes (such as good) and subtypes that indicate kind (such as giant). It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.</p>
<p><b>Armor Class:</b> Natural armor bonus changes as follows:</p>
<table>

added a <p> tag after </table> and works fine.

dulux-oz
July 31st, 2013, 17:16
Any idea when this is going live - I only ask so I can determine if its worthwhile putting my Tutorial Videos Production on hold or not.

Oberoten
July 31st, 2013, 20:08
Allright... few problems.

/console no longer brings up the console (not sure if this is only older rulesets, have just brought up my old D20 based one)

/die reveal no longer works.

Custom dice handlers are broken. As in, ignores exploding dice functions and the like in custom-dice.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2013, 01:47
Thanks for the feedback so far. I had a few items I found in testing during my last session as well. Another update coming soon.

Primarch,
It's exactly as Dakadin has covered. This speeds up a lot of ruleset development. For example, I was able to bring the Cthulhu ruleset (one of our oldest) up to parity with 3.5E/4E in about a week, which included making new graphics for the new features.

DingoSoulEater,
I'm testing everything at this point, since I made many, many changes under the hood. I want to make sure that all the underlying platform pieces work well, then move to fine-tuning layouts etc. For effects, what ruleset are we talking about? Can you give me some examples?

spacce1889,
Can you send me the campaign files that you are having problems with? (I'd prefer the original campaign files you backed up, before opening with v3.0.) (Send to [email protected])

dulux-oz,
I do not have a release date at this point. It's in alpha stage, which means that it is more or less feature complete. With the big change to layered rulesets under the hood, I want to give FG developers a chance to play with the pieces and make sure that the CoreRPG ruleset is a solid foundation. Also, there are a few things that need to be refined as well. Typically, the alpha/beta cycle for FG is about 6-10 weeks, depending on the complexity of the changes. Since we are a small company, we do not have any dedicated testing people, so this is also an opportunity for the community to help us with testing to make sure their favorite system works well in addition to helping us push the release faster than we could on our own.

Obe,
Which ruleset are you using? Where can I find it?
I tested the /console with a few new and old rulesets without issue.
I tested exploding dice in the Savage Worlds and RolemasterClassic rulesets, and it seemed to be working.
I found the /die reveal issue, and it will be patched with next release.

Thanks,
JPG

OneSidedDie
August 1st, 2013, 02:08
I haven't been able to get the drag and drop into the images or tokens bag to work in the alpha. I tried Core and 3.5 rule sets. Also, would you be able to explain this "fudge die" feature?

Thanks again for all of these great features from me and all of my players!

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2013, 02:56
OneSidedDie,

I just tried it successfully with PNG and JPG files in the 3.5E ruleset, so let's figure out what the difference is.
* What kind of images are you dragging to the folder?
* Are you dropping on the token bag or campaign images list while they are open? (i.e. after you have clicked on the sidebar button, and a window has popped up within FG.)

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2013, 03:33
Updates

If /console when console open, then console is brought to front.
Auto-scrolling not correct after tabbing or clicking on data fields embedded in subwindows and windowlists. Fixed.
Default values specified for controls on host not getting propagated to client. Fixed.
Changed references from Fantasy Grounds 2 to simply Fantasy Grounds.
[UPDATER] Removed FG2 reference from launcher graphic and default installation directories.
[LAUNCHER] Removed FG2 references from launcher graphics.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Increased size of duration field in the combat tracker effects.
[CORERPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/COC] Removed FG2 references from startup messages.
[CORERPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/COC] Reduced font size back to 10 point, like previous versions.
[CORERPG] Script error when toggling visibility of enemies using global toggle button. Fixed.
[4E] Power name backgrounds not located correctly. Fixed.
[CoC] Script error for maxsan field on front page of character sheet. Fixed.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Some reference windows cut off top data field frame. Fixed.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Group auto-initiative option not working. Fixed.
[CORERPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/COC] Script error when opening combat tracker on the client. Fixed.
[CORERPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/COC] Script error when clicking on Parcels button in item list on the client. Fixed.
[CORERPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/COC] Faction targeting buttons in image toolbar not working. Fixed.
[DEV] Interface.openWindow function will now open windows on clients for which the underlying database node path specified does not exist yet.
[DEV] dragdata.revealDice function was removed. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

dulux-oz
August 1st, 2013, 05:26
Hi JPG,

Actually, if you're going to remove the Snap-To-Verticies for Hex-Grids, any chance of expossing that functionality so that Developers can put it back inif they want - I use that quite a bit in my Übergame Ruleset as it is built around Hex-Grids, not Square-Grids, and I'd hate to loose that ability - thanks

Oberoten
August 1st, 2013, 06:38
The rule-set I tried it with is the Ars Magica one, I believe the issue is with the whole autoroll code since it also seems to be ignoring the annotations and descriptions from the roll.

- Obe

Oberoten
August 1st, 2013, 06:43
Hmm. With the new update it seems as if the dice works as they should again. I think they might have been affected by the same problem that caused issues with the /die reveal command ?

- Obe

Blackfoot
August 1st, 2013, 06:52
When I drop 'Feats' from the modules in PFRPG (the basic one and the advanced) they drop in ok with their appropriate info inside but the name of the feat on the page comes up blank... this is true for all the boxes on the abilities tab.

EDIT: Dropping in weapons from modules yields this error:
Script Error: [string "char_invitem"]:1: attempt to index global 'name' (a nil value)

martel
August 1st, 2013, 09:56
yes i agree...

keep Hex-grid functionnality snap

Hi JPG,

Actually, if you're going to remove the Snap-To-Verticies for Hex-Grids, any chance of expossing that functionality so that Developers can put it back inif they want - I use that quite a bit in my Übergame Ruleset as it is built around Hex-Grids, not Square-Grids, and I'd hate to loose that ability - thanks

Blackfoot
August 1st, 2013, 14:28
Dropping spells seems to have the same effect as dropping feats does... the titles come up blank but the info is available in the red box.. the only other thing with spells is that you can't build any of the actions.. they all come up as boxes with ? in them instead of an action line no matter which of the 4 types you make it.
PF ruleset

EDIT: Interesting thing.. on the host side.. the spells look fine... on the client side.. they are all screwed up... even when trying to build my own and not using a module.

Blackfoot
August 1st, 2013, 15:54
Definitely seems to be more of a problem on the Client side.. the content of the feat red boxes are blank where they contain the proper data on the host.... the only problem on the host side is that the titles disappear... from what I have found thus far.

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2013, 01:13
OneSidedDie,
The fudge die is a 6-sided die with 2 plus sides, 2 minus sides and 2 blank sides that is used in some role-playing games (FATE is one example). You can see it on the tabletop if you load up a CoreRPG campaign, and it can be added to any ruleset with FG v3.0.

dulux-oz,
Additional grid snap options will be available in the imagecontrol in the next release. The default for hex grids will be snap to center, unless otherwise specified.

Blackfoot,
You win the prize for the biggest bug found so far. It specifically is tied to having the same window open on the client and host, while adding records. It took me a long time to track down, and it will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers,
JPG

dulux-oz
August 2nd, 2013, 04:49
Excellent!

Thanks JPG

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2013, 05:00
Update

Secret roll icon moved to beginning of line with other chat entry icons.
Added generic calendar data module with the Gregorian calendar.
[CoC] Fixed character selection window initial and minimum size
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Added drag area to top of story and note windows
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Image window adjusted to make room for toolbar and close button at the top.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Additional image resize options added to radial menu.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Darkened edit button slightly to make it stand out a little less.
[DEV] If console open and error occurs, console will be brought to foreground.
[DEV] Added default.snapsquare and default.snaphex tags that can be set to center or vertexandcenter respectively. Otherwise the default is vertexandcenter for square grids and center for hex grids.
[DEV] Secret attribute added to message structure, and behaves similar to dicesecret attribute.
[DEV] Multiple icons can be set for each chat window message. Whenever you receive or send a message structure (such as when calling deliverMessage), the icon entry can either be a string for a single icon or a table containing multiple strings for multiple icons.
Dropping shortcuts on windowlists which triggered data copying were losing data when the window was open on both the client and the host. Fixed.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Script error when creating empty CT entry. Fixed.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Script error when dropping item in inventory. Fixed.

JPG

dulux-oz
August 2nd, 2013, 07:52
Hmmmm...

I don't suppose it would be possible to have the Hex-Grid-Snap snap to the Mid-Point of the Hex Sides, similar to what happens with the Square-Grid-Snap now, would it <hopeful grin>?

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2013, 07:57
I don't have any code to support midpoint of sides, whereas I already has the code for vertexes. I'll put it on the wish list for now.

JPG

dulux-oz
August 2nd, 2013, 09:33
If you'd like I can have a go at the necessary code - I'll need a copy of the vertexes code to start from, but it shouldn't take me too long (I hope) :)

Blackfoot
August 2nd, 2013, 17:09
I get an error when I open the calendar window on the client side when no calendars are active in the PF ruleset.. Missed the error and could not quickly recreate it by resetting the calendar and trying again... it worked fine the second time... I'll try it again with a fresh campaign... yeah.. that did the trick.
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_calendar.lua"]:22: attempt to index upvalue 'nodeCalendar' (a nil value)
Same error in 3.5 as in PF.

Blackfoot
August 2nd, 2013, 17:23
The handling of distribution of items on the party sheet with multiple items and multiple targets is pretty tweaky... but I'm not sure if that's an issue with the rev.

Dragged an item from a PC to the distribution window...
Ooo.. I crashed it.
Script Error: [string "char_invitem"]:1: attempt to call field 'onCharItemDelete' (a nil value)
Hrm.. let's see if I can reconstruct what I did.
First I created an item on the party sheet. Distributed it to the one PC I had built.
Tried to distribute some to other PCs names I hadn't built.. it worked fine... gave me an appropriate message.
Built new PC.. tried to distribute to multiple PC names at the same time... not sure what the proper procedure is there. It wanted to treat all the names as one long string... and dragging and dropping the item to create multiple entries worked once then started to stack.
Dragged the first item off the 1st PC back to the party sheet and assigned it to PC 2. Distributed it.. got the error above... I think I tried it a second time and it crashed the host. .. trying to reconstruct...

New attempt clean campaign, 1 pc, no extensions... build item in Party Sheet, Distribute, drag item from PC to Party Sheet Inv Distribution window.. BOOM.

This testing was all using CoreRPG btw.

Blackfoot
August 2nd, 2013, 18:50
I have a question, with the advent of the new PFRPG ruleset... is there going to be a way to load our older campaigns in this ruleset instead of 3.5 or are we going to need to rebuild all our modules and campaigns completely! (that sounds kinda scary)

Willot
August 3rd, 2013, 01:14
When v3 releases dont forget the new Banner!!! Maybe Shockbolt could knock something up?

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2013, 03:18
Blackfoot,
Thanks for the bug reports; I will look into them for next release. For PFRPG, the campaign will automatically convert and reload the first time that the campaign is loaded with v3.0. There is a section for data migration in the code between releases, and this code will watch for the option when loading a 3.5E campaign and convert.

Willot,
Which banner are you thinking about? I've been changing all the graphics over to remove the II, but I agree we could use a graphics refresh in the near future.

Cheers,
JPG

Willot
August 3rd, 2013, 03:32
Blackfoot,
Willot,
Which banner are you thinking about? I've been changing all the graphics over to remove the II, but I agree we could use a graphics refresh in the near future.

Cheers,
JPG

Oh just in general. The Main Menu, the splash screen etc I havnt changed to the dev code. Was just reminding you. But I see you didnt need it ;)

Still Might be nice to have a whole new banner/Graphics for a whole number release version

Dakadin
August 4th, 2013, 05:51
With the latest build FG is crashing when adding NPCs to the combat tracker or trying to delete an entity from the combat tracker.

I tried it with the CoreRPG and PFRPG rulesets.

Zeus
August 4th, 2013, 10:57
Had a quick look this morning moon and targeted OSX/Wine engine compatibility for this alpha release. Other OSX/Wine users may find it useful. All testing was carried out under OSX 10.8.4 using WineSkin Winery 1.7 with latest Wrapper 2.5.9, all pretty much the latest versions.

Wine Engine 1.4.1 - FGIII starts but window rendering is a bit messed up and you get lots of screen flicker (like interlaced graphics) when moving windows objects or grabbing/rolling dice.
Wine Engine 1.5.13 - 1.5.21 - FGIII starts and appears to work correctly. Animations are smooth and no garbled windows when moving.
Wine 1.5.25 (latest) - FGIII starts but animation (dice rolling) is jerky, (frame rate drops significantly)

The latest 1.5.25 exhibits problems but this is probably Wine engine related as opposed to be down to FGII. For now I would stick with 1.5.21. For all those currently using Wine 1.4, update to 1.5.21 for a fix.

Zeus
August 5th, 2013, 10:34
Oh wow, I just spotted this in the release notes:

Added Lua os date and time functions (os.clock, os.date, os.difftime, os.time)

I shall have to have a play to see if we can open up in-game Notification/Alert functionality :)

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2013, 19:57
Blackfoot/Dakadin,
Thanks again for the bug reports. There were a couple items related to new buttonfield control as well as a recent host/client data synch not playing nicely with createonempty lists. Addressing in next update.

Blackfoot,
Also, forgot to mention earlier on PFRPG migration, the new PFRPG will continue to support 3.5E data modules to prevent people having to rebuild modules just to see them.

DrZ,
The os time/date functions were more for better random seeding support, though they will probably be useful in the future as well. There is no timed "callback" mechanism yet, which is what is needed for alerts. Still on the wish list. ;)

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 5th, 2013, 20:24
Updates

Possible crash scenario when creating or deleting windows depending on ruleset and window type. Fixed.
[Core/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Script error when opening calendar window on client. Fixed.

JPG

Oberoten
August 7th, 2013, 00:32
When dragging images to the image-window they are no longer added to the campaign. They were before the last update.

- Obe

OneSidedDie
August 7th, 2013, 01:11
When dragging images to the image-window they are no longer added to the campaign. They were before the last update.

- Obe

Funny, mine wasn't working last time and now it is.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2013, 06:34
Oberoten,

Which ruleset are you using?

A small bit of ruleset code has to be added to enable drag and drop to the image list. It is included in the CoreRPG base layer which is used for 4E/PFRPG/3.5E. I just tested with CoreRPG and PFRPG.

Regards,
JPG

Oberoten
August 7th, 2013, 07:25
I tried it with the CoreRPG. Sorry for not being more specific.

Oberoten
August 7th, 2013, 07:31
Also, I absolutely LOVE the function for grouping tokens, but is there any chance we might be able to rotate a group as a whole if we select everything? That way lies beasts and riders as well as tight formations. :)

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2013, 08:28
Is it still failing in CoreRPG for you with the latest update from yesterday? I'm not seeing it here, and it looks like it's working for OneSidedDie also.

As soon as I built the grouping feature, I knew someone was going to ask for group rotation. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards for this release, mainly because it requires deciding the best way to define the interface to do this function. (Override mouse wheel (only when on grouped token)? Separate visual "handle"? What about snap-to-grid interactions? etc.)

Regards,
JPG

Oberoten
August 7th, 2013, 19:23
Removed the core rpg pak file (which is now found with all the other rulesets, that is a LOVELY change, big Kudos for that.) and re-updated. Same behaviour. Started a clean campaign with the new pak file, still the same result.

unerwünscht
August 7th, 2013, 19:56
Found a bug when playing with the character selection screen in coreRPG, when you delete a character it throws an error: Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/char_invlist.lua"]:20: attempt to index a nil value

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2013, 20:34
Can anyone else confirm/deny whether the image file drop is working for them?

Oberoten,
At a bit of a loss, since it seems to be working generally. What OS are you running? Are you dragging "files" from the Window explorer onto the images list (not the sidebar button) within the FG desktop? Not trying to be pedantic, but want to make sure it's not a use case issue.

unerwünscht,
Thanks for the report. I was able to recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2013, 01:09
I think I hit another one, when importing .xml files into the PF ruleset...
Steps:
I created a blank sheet by clicking the brown circle then the green circle.
Then I imported a .xml sheet by clicking the blue circle.
so far so good... the sheet loaded and now I had 2 characters.

I tried to import a second sheet (blue circle)... it replaced the previously imported sheet.. merged with it really... the two characters spell lists were combined.
I tried to import a different sheet (blue circle).. it replaced the imported sheet again.
Created new blank sheet (green circle).. no problem... 3 sheets now... 2 blanks... one muddled import.

I cannot manage to get it to upload a second sheet...

It doesn't quite replace the other character.. it seems to mush their info together.

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2013, 02:25
Blackfoot,

Can you restate the issue in step-by-step instructions for me? I'm not sure I followed how to recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2013, 02:54
Are you able to upload more than 1 character from .xml files?
I can't do it at all.. when I go to upload a second character it merges the new character with the first.

I will try one of the other rulesets and see if the problem exists there as well... and maybe another clean campaign....

EDIT: Same results in brand new 3.5 campaign.

Also.. the text boxes on the Actions Tab look like they were enlarged to accommodate the larger font... they are pretty huge and space consuming with the smaller font.

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2013, 07:43
You should be able to import separate XML files, as well as a single XML file with multiple character records.

How did you generate the XML files? I might need a copy to recreate.
(Character Converter utility or export from another campaign)

Are you using the /importchar command to import XML files, or using the Character Converter utility to go from Hero Lab to FG?

Cheers,
JPG

Oberoten
August 8th, 2013, 08:07
Bit rusty on the whole bug report thing.

I run Windows 8 - 64bit.

But as I started writing up this, I found the problem. Dual-monitors. If I drag on the primary monitor it works beautifuly. Secondary, not so much. Graphics/Mouse driver issue I believe.

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2013, 08:23
I wish I could recreate the issue on my home machine, so I could patch (if possible). I run a dual monitor setup at home, but the mouse wheel and file drops work fine for me on both monitors.

Regards,
JPG

Oberoten
August 8th, 2013, 13:03
Further testing shows that this turns up in particular after I have played a directX game on the primary monitor (Civ 5 to be precise) while doing other tasks at the second. When the game is shut down and I then start FG3 I get the issue of no droppable images.

Solution : Windows-key P to switch to single-monitor and then again to switch to dual monitor and both monitors work again.

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2013, 13:35
You should be able to import separate XML files, as well as a single XML file with multiple character records.

How did you generate the XML files? I might need a copy to recreate.
(Character Converter utility or export from another campaign)

Are you using the /importchar command to import XML files, or using the Character Converter utility to go from Hero Lab to FG?
I'm using the new 'blue button' ... I edited my initial post to include more details... I'll try the /importchar command... the files I'm working with are exports from 2.9.4 as well as HL conversions. I tried it with some of each. You aren't having any issue with this?

/importchar doesn't make any difference... it still merges with the initial upload. I've tried it in a 'new' campaign, in a previously saved campaign... in PF and in 3.5... all results are the same.

Blackfoot
August 8th, 2013, 17:17
Issues with the Inventory Tab in CoreRPG still seem to be there:
When copying an item from a character's inventory to the party sheet inventory:
(It actually gives this same error if you copy the item from the GM items panel or from a character's inventory page)
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_item.lua"]:240: attempt to call field 'onCharItemDelete' (a nil value)
When distributing that item:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_item.lua"]:222: attempt to call field 'onCharItemAdd' (a nil value)
Although FG doesn't seem to be crashing anymore... which is a definite improvement. :D

Hrm.. closed it and opened it again.. and the problem seems to have gone away... I'm going to keep testing... hrm... seems to be a problem with my HERO extension. I didn't think I was messing with the item manager at all. I'll look into it further. Please ignore the above for now.

I still can't seem to figure out how to distribute multiple items to different targets as part of a parcel.
My parcel has 1 coke, 1 sprite, and 2 sandwiches... Laine and Tristan both want a soda and a sandwich... I can distribute the sodas simply enough.. but when I go to distribute the sandwiches.. I can't put both names in the box and I can't add make the item split so that I can list the names as singles. Is there a trick to this?

Trashkicker
August 8th, 2013, 19:48
Issue with parcels in PFRPG: If you create parcels before 3.0 then upgrade to 3.0 the links in the parcels are all broken and must be redone.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2013, 00:12
Trashkicker,
Can you send me a ZIP file with your campaign? ([email protected])
There is code to perform the conversion, as long as the source links are valid (i.e. modules were still open from which the items were originally added, otherwise broken links). The v2.9.x version of the ruleset only copied the link, whereas the v3.0 version copies the full record which can be edited and viewed separately.

Blackfoot,
The ItemsManager script automatically calls the CharManager.onCharItemAdd and CharManager.onCharItemDelete functions, when items are added or deleted for a character record to allow for ruleset specific character sheet handling (i.e. adding carried flag, adding weapon record for weapon inventory items, etc.). Your extension probably overrides the CharManager script.

I'm actually looking at many of the "automatic" cross-script calls like this to "registered" callbacks. (like the ActionsManager script)

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
August 11th, 2013, 19:40
I'm guessing that code line is to modify an existing rule set, how much modification does it allow?
The way I understand it, the new ruleset in the 3.x branch allows for cascade.

Like in CSS, cascading style sheet. Or MS Word if you prefer. If you set you paragraph to be written in bold 10pt, and a specific word inside it to be written at 60% size, it will be drawn as bold 6pt. The child “thingie” (the lowest one if you wish) will be built on the parent (here, the new Core Ruleset).

So, we could have something like, for example:

Fantasy Grounds → Core ruleset → World of Darkness ruleset → Vampire ruleset → Localization → House rules

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2013, 21:32
Updates

Changed license type label in launcher from UNREGISTERED to FREE
Networking loop removed for database updates on database non-leaf nodes. Potential small increase to client networking speed.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Added GM section to calendar log entries (only visible to GM).
[CoC] Changed "Firearm" to "Ranged" in the interface.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Updated graphic for spell class add button on NPC sheet.
[DEV] Changed ActionsManager script to not call mod handlers after dice rolled. Any single roll to multiple target rolls must handle targeted effect resolution in their result handler calls.
[DEV] Reworked CombatManager and ItemsManager scripts to require registration of helper functions, instead of assuming existence. (i.e. CombatManager2, EffectManager, CharManager, etc.)
[DEV] onValueChanged events no longer generated by stringcontrols and formattedtextcontrols when they have the focus and the window containing them is closed.
[CoreRPG/4E/PFRPG/3.5E/CoC] Script error when deleting characters after viewing inventory tab. Fixed.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Targeted effects were being applied twice on damage rolls. Fixed.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] Script error when making damage rolls with extra effect dice. Fixed.
[4E/PFRPG/3.5E] If token effects and/or health options set to tooltip, then the tooltip slowly accumulate duplicate information. Fixed.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Script error when dropping spell link on a NPC sheet spell class. Fixed.
[PFRPG/3.5E] Spell actions display too high on a spell when the spell not prepared and using a memorization caster class. Fixed.
[3.5E/PFRPG] Blinded condition should now apply -4 penalty to Strength and Dexterity based skill checks, instead of -2 penalty.
[3.5E/PFRPG] Turned condition incorrectly applying -2 AC penalty, as if Cowering. Fixed.
[3.5E/PFRPG] Deafened condition not applying -4 initiative penalty. Fixed.
[PFRPG] Grappled condition was incorrectly denying Dex bonus to AC. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2013, 21:35
Also, a question for all the testers. The new token box in 3.5E/4E/PFRPG/CallOfCthulhu rulesets displays tokens "much" larger than the previous box. (50x50 in old style, 80x80 in new style). Please give me your thoughts. What do you think of new style?

Pros
Tokens "much" easier to see detail on to make sure you get the right graphic.
No need to zoom in most cases.

Cons
Token interface looks much larger than other parts of the interface.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2013, 00:59
Also, a question for all the testers. The new token box in 3.5E/4E/PFRPG/CallOfCthulhu rulesets displays tokens "much" larger than the previous box. (50x50 in old style, 80x80 in new style). Please give me your thoughts. What do you think of new style?

Pros

Cons

Thanks,
JPGI agree that it has pros and cons. I would prefer if there was an option to make it both smaller and larger. In many ways it is TOO big... since you can't get a quick glance at your tokens.. but if it were easy to scale up and down that would be ideal... perhaps an interface more like windows icon scaling? Not that that is in any way ideal. But ... my initial reaction was wow.. this is awesome... I can actually SEE my tokens.. then I went.. hey.. I can't make them any smaller.. I cant see ALL my tokens... this sucks! Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit.. but.. those were my reactions to some extent.
I do feel that as a starting point it feels somewhat disjointed from the rest of the interface scale wise... but I love the option of making them big enough to see easily.

Blacky
August 12th, 2013, 09:26
Pros
Cons
One immediate con; this is what my CoreRPG token bag looks by default :

https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-6q14.png

Since there's no explanations as to the pros&cons of tokens size in the manual, nor detailed and full explanations as to how the rulesets handle them from a zoom point of view, I usually use 32px tokens (for human size).

Here's its zoomed to the point where you can't see anything, and slightly cropped at the top (first line) or the left (second line).

I will glagly trade having to redo all my tokens if there was a one good size, detailed and explained in the manual, and its size was right of course.

As for pixel real estate, it's too zoomed for my taste. It seems to display 9 tokens (less if you have more bags) in a 436×403px window. That's not enough imo.

I agree that since FG doesn't have disability support, it should err on the side of caution and allow for people with bad hands, bad eyes, and so on to use FG the easiest way possible. But even so, that's too big. I would suggest reducing it along a path set by some brainstorming as to token size and zoom handling; and allow for easy zoom in-out of the content of that window. Mouse wheel scroll up and down that's fine and logical, but maybe a ctrl-wheel (for example, if consistant with other windows) could zoom in&out its content?

And as to accessibility, is the tokens are too big, the text is quite small (and pixelated). Again, default CoreRPG:
https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-4xKG.png
It's readable almost barely, and (with glasses) I have good eyes. Addind a point or two might help, adding some weight too, and adding anti-aliasing would certainyl help a lot.

Blacky
August 12th, 2013, 09:34
Another con to the new TokenBag: each token is displayed the same size, whatever the original size is. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but I size my tokens according to each other (for my case, 32px human size, 64px for a troll double the size of a human, 20px for a halfling, and so on). The new TokenBag seems counter-intuitive that way.

But again, maybe I'm doing it all wrong. Some will shriek at the idea, but I'm not against re-doing my tokens “the right way”, if there is a right way (and it's indeed right).

Edit: althought, for a GM with a game having a lot of different size tokens, like from rat familiar to colossal dragon on a regular basis, maybe disabling token scaling in the token bag is a good thing. Maybe a size indicator, like a slight shadow or glow more intense relative to the original size, or something?

Blacky
August 12th, 2013, 09:40
Note: I'm using item in its latin meaning. Not object, but “thing”. In this case: story, maps, objects, and so on.

Item Search

Slight feedback on this in CoreRPG:

https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-H373.png

The white/pink height input area seems much more bigger than necessary for the text input (and pixel real estate is a luxury on a virtual tabletop).

Item creation & search bug?
Input something in the search area, then right click “Create Item”. The window content is not refreshed. You'll have to delete your search input to see it. Doing the same via the new (quite nice by the way) Edit list/Add item buttons will open a new empty item window,

Bug with subwindow uppercase title
The new subwindows titles are automatically displayed as upper case. Why not, but it doesn't handle non ascii characters. See:
https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-NAV3.png

Probably a font issue.

And no, it's not a localization issue. Since a lot of scifi and fantasy games have what Americans would call “weird names”, with non ascii characters. Or think about a 19th or 20th century settings, let's say Cthulhu, when you need a famous composer NPC (like Antonín Dvořák (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton%C3%ADn_Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k)).

Image tools icon pixelated
See:
https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-Plko.png

The flag or mask icons are really, really pixelated.

They're also not really in-sync with the graphical design of the ruleset.

Image tools lacking tool-tip
Same tools icons. They all have tool-tips, but the 1st, 2nd, 6th.

By the way, using a carnival mask for “target enemy units”, when as the same time it's used in radial for image mask, can be confusing.

Buttons consistency
In “Images&Maps” the new “Folder” button on top open an OS file browser (nice feature btw). On “NPCs” the same button labeled “Encounters” opens a FG window, same for “Items”-“Parcels”. That's inconsistent.

Maybe a simple fix would be to redesign the buttons, one style for the OS browser, one style (maybe one better integrated, more “parchment”-like) for the FG windows?

Menu Options tooltip
The various options in the “Options” menu (Moue: Double click action, Mouse: Wheel editing, and so on) could be much more user-friendly with some explanations at what they does. A tool-tip for each could help. Not everyone is a FG/DnD expert.

I mean “Table Dice tower” really? If I didn't read the FG forums and came across this, I wouldn't know what this is.

Portrait transparency
The portrait function doesn't handle indexed or alpha transparency (png). See:

https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-B6XN.png

Toolbar icons cropped
The big icons on the right are cropped (look at the bottom tip of the shadow):

https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-xwcH.png

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2013, 10:08
Blacky,

Appreciate the input. I'm going to catch some sleep before my daughter wakes up, but I will take a look at your comments in detail tomorrow.

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
August 12th, 2013, 12:30
But again, maybe I'm doing it all wrong. Some will shriek at the idea, but I'm not against re-doing my tokens “the right way”, if there is a right way (and it's indeed right).
There is no right or wrong way - it is purely personal preference and usually related to what square/hex size you normally use on your maps.

There are plenty of discussions on the forums about what size people use, some use "base 2" like sizes, i.e. 64 for medium (5 foot), 128 for large (10 feet), etc.; others use 50 pixels for 5 foot, 100 for 10 foot, etc.. A lot of it has to do with the size of the images you will be using and how much detail you want in your tokens.

As mentioned above, it really is a matter of taste. In the end, as long as you use the same size of tokens that match their size on the map (which it sounds like you do) you can use the "token lock" feature in the image to match your token size to any grid resolution. See the "Locking the token scale" entry in the left sidebar of the user's guide in the GM Guide - Gameplay -> Images section: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_images.xcp

Of course, how the token bag displays these different sizes is a whole different discussion... ;)

Blacky
August 12th, 2013, 12:41
Still on CoreRPG.

Since it's redesign time, I also have a question about the icons (tools on the right). Some are small, some are big. Are frankly right now, I can't find any reason why is that so.

I mean, in small icons you have some one-time technical options (like options, player color), some commons but FG related tools (like night/day), and some campaign&play tools (calendar, party sheet, combat tracker).
In big icons, you have a lot of campaign stuff (characters, story, maps, etc.) but also the library which seems more like a FG technical thingies.

I mean, why the Library in big icon, and the Calendar in small icon?

unerwünscht
August 12th, 2013, 16:26
Blacky, (and Moon by proxy)

I would agree with you that there is no need to zoom in on the token box by default, even more so once you know about the UI Scale setting in the FG launcher. I would say that needs to go back to normal, and be controlled/set individually by the user in other ways.

I do agree that the padding on the search box for text is a little excessive.

I like the all uppercase titles, they make things easier to read quickly, however, I agree they do need to support UTF-8.

I have no idea where you found those image tools Icons, because at the top of my image window I have the first icon displayed there and that is it. So I am not 100% sure who has the bigger bug here, me or you. ;)

Parcels are groups of Items and Encounters are groups of NPCs, I would say this is functioning as intended and as it should.

As for the mask layer on portraits not displaying correctly, are you honestly attempting to place a masked circular image inside of a masked square image, and expecting it to work correctly? In theory that is still a glitch, but you can't put a round peg into a square hole anyways.

As for the "I mean, why the Library in big icon, and the Calendar in small icon?"
Maybe because things like the Calendar are newer added features that the majority of the community never uses, while the library is part of the original Fantasy Grounds 1 that almost the entire community uses? Same goes for the party sheet and combat tracker. I personally have never used the calendar or party sheet, and in fact they do not exist in any of the rulesets that I currently use. I think the layout currently is large Icons for frequently used buttons by the majority of users, smaller icons for buttons that are not used frequently or by the majority....

Side Note on this, I have always felt that an addon that would let us rearrange the icons and make them all the smaller size was needed, it would allow more room for more icons in the end, as there has been a reasonably rabid increase to the number icons needed over the last few years.

Blacky
August 12th, 2013, 18:24
I like the all uppercase titles, they make things easier to read quickly, however, I agree they do need to support UTF-8.
I like it too, but it needs to handle accents and glyphs.

I have no idea where you found those image tools Icons, because at the top of my image window I have the first icon displayed there and that is it. So I am not 100% sure who has the bigger bug here, me or you. ;)
I think you need to click on the first icon to display the others.

I especially like these, not a fan of the radial and sub sub sub radial menu.

Parcels are groups of Items and Encounters are groups of NPCs, I would say this is functioning as intended and as it should.
Function yes. Appearance no. Opening a FG window of a group of your current window is fine (although, I kinda miss the true icons on the side for these). Having the exact same design/buttons once doing this, and once opening a Windows file browser, is not :)

As for the mask layer on portraits not displaying correctly, are you honestly attempting to place a masked circular image inside of a masked square image, and expecting it to work correctly? In theory that is still a glitch, but you can't put a round peg into a square hole anyways.
Of course I expect it. There is no such thing as a (bitmap) circular image. All the tokens in my screenshot are square, usually 63×63px already. Some of these have transparency data but that's just some data that FG handles (almost) quite fine in other area (in every framedef for example) :)

Maybe because things like the Calendar are newer added features that the majority of the community never uses, while the library is part of the original Fantasy Grounds 1 that almost the entire community uses? Same goes for the party sheet and combat tracker. I personally have never used the calendar or party sheet, and in fact they do not exist in any of the rulesets that I currently use.
Agreed, and same for me on my rulesets. But since it's redesign time (to an extent), and since it seems there's a lack of pixel real estate on the right (icon) bar, I think it merits some thoughts.

I mean, if there's no brainstorming on this issue now when the ruleset fundation is rewritten from core, when will there be?

The answer could be as simple as smaller icons… or not.

S Ferguson
August 12th, 2013, 21:28

Sure you can. A tangent on each of the square sides allows you to put a round peg into a square hole. It's the other way round that doesn't work.

I agree that the search boxes are a little over-excessive and I'd like a larger scroll bar to "grab" onto. As for the icon size switching, that's easily accomplished by recoding the icon positions in the stack. No biggie there. :)

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 01:20
Great feedback.

General response for tokens. Yeah, the tradeoff is actually being able to see the token image vs. seeing all the tokens at once. My general thought at this point based on feedback is to revert the default and the bag bar back to 50x50 by default, and add some zoom controls instead (like the imagecontrol). That will take me a bit of time to rework, so it won't happen before Gencon. Also, I may need to add a zoom in and zoom out options from the base, so that I don't need to stretch smaller tokens and allow tokens to be compared better (size-wise) when searching.

On a related note for token sizes, there is definitely a lack of guidance on token sizes, mostly because we don't want to lock people into a token size/detail that they don't want. As Trenloe mentioned, most people have settled on a token size, but I need to add more to the image portion of the manul I think to explain. Additionally, I want to eventually allow people to specify the token size that we provide from the store. (50x50, 100x100, ...)

I played around with adding permanent tooltips for name/size to tokens in the token bag, but it became cluttered and there wasn't enough space to really display any information. Perhaps a "shrunken" shadow indicator as Blacky suggests?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 01:34
Also, I've noted all of Blacky's commentary.

I was hoping to do a graphical refresh for v3.0, but it's running later than I originally planned and not sure if I want the additional delay. Especially, since it may cascade changes across rulesets inheriting from Core.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 07:03
Has anyone else noted that when you switch back to 2.9.4 it clears the dice from all your sheets? Weapon damage.. spell durations.. anywhere die rolls were built in.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 08:49
Blackfoot,

I'm not seeing that right now, though I haven't done a lot of testing switching back and forth. I tried creating 3.5E campaign in v2.9.4, importing characters, verifying weapon dice, opened in v3.0, verified weapon dice, opened in v2.9.4 and verified weapon dice.

Do you have the original 2.9.4 campaign that you backed up before moving to v3.0 that you see this issue with?

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 08:57
Updates

[Core+] Adjustments to standard combat tracker and party sheet objects.
[Core+] Character import would always override the same character. Fixed.
[CoC] Missing armor field in CT entries. Fixed.
Library window in some older rulesets (v2.4 compatibility or older) not displaying modules. Fixed.

JPG

leozelig
August 13th, 2013, 12:05
This is awesome JPG, thank you for all of your hard work!

Blacky
August 13th, 2013, 12:14
Also, I've noted all of Blacky's commentary.
Thanks.

I was hoping to do a graphical refresh for v3.0, but it's running later than I originally planned and not sure if I want the additional delay. Especially, since it may cascade changes across rulesets inheriting from Core.
I guess it's a matter of choice.

As for myself, I wouldn't mind a slight delay to allow for some more work on consistency, logical interface, ergonomics. Ergonomics is paramount to me, when I play or run a campaign I need everything to be fast and smooth, organic if one wishes. Si I'm not talking about graphics purely (I haven't made any comments or feedback on colors, embossing, shadowing, appearance; I'm not saying that the new chat middle texture is ugly or so nice that I'd like to see it everywhere) but more about usability and user interface experience. Like having the same buttons, same place, same design, doing completely different things (Encounters vs image Folder), or taking a few minutes to sit back and think about the overall icons on the right: what's needed, how, at what size. That kind of things.

The personal (not representative but still) feedback I hear about 3.0.0 is that it's a good excuses or reason to do maintenance on old ruleset, or rework things, or even in a few cases it's the perfect excuse to do a whole rewrite from scratch (well, from CoreRPG). And so, in my opinion, it's worth a slight delay to be sure the ground work, the foundations, are solids and well-thought. Especially since it seems there's still work to do on 3.0.0 otherwise, so you could let the brainstorm happening with few guidance and not “waste” too much time on it yourself, if that's your choice.

Blacky
August 13th, 2013, 12:49
I did a glance at the Warhammer v2 French ruleset, seems to work. I got one compatibility bug for now: the module screen doesn't work anymore. I can't select the YES/NO/FORCED buttons to move them on modules, nor can I move (edit) the current state of modules. It worked on 2.9.4.

The mouse cursor changes, but then the whole window moves instead of the button tool. Not sure If I'm clear.

I'm pretty sure it's the ruleset's fault, since it was written by two left feet; and I would glagly correct this directly in it, but I don't know how.

If necessary, I can provide an archive with the ruleset and the campaign folder.

Edit: second issue. SOme of the main (“big”) icons on the right (story, npc, images) don't handle the “down” (when clicked) state anymore. The small ones (player color, night&day, combat tracker, etc.) still do.

Valarian
August 13th, 2013, 12:52
This is likely the onDrag / onDragStart issue
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19131-Version-compatibility-issues-with-onDrag-onDragStart

JohnD
August 13th, 2013, 15:00
Has anyone else noted that when you switch back to 2.9.4 it clears the dice from all your sheets? Weapon damage.. spell durations.. anywhere die rolls were built in.

Undocumented feature. :p

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 17:51
Anybody else seeing this dice issue that Blackfoot mentioned? I need an example to recreate, since my tests aren't showing it.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2013, 18:18
Blacky,

FG is a part time project by 2 guys, so we don't have the resources or specialists that a lot of companies have in place. (such as a graphic artist, testing team or UI team)

Specific to the sidebar, I've actually spent a lot of time and tried several layouts with FG to deal with the proliferation of buttons and record types, including sidebar button selection and where to put the pesky encounters/parcels/folders buttons. The first iteration has all the buttons on the sidebar, but then the sidebar icons became very small, unreadable and less accessible. There have been a couple other iterations during my testing as well. My general take is that tools (combat tracker, party sheet, lighting, colors, modifiers, effects) go in the upper right, while full-fledged campaign records (story, npcs, etc.) go in the bigger buttons. I really wanted the Encounters and Parcels buttons to be "next to" or "linked" to the NPCs and Items, but that would require a rework of the sidebar layout code.

I'm having to be very judicious in what I change to allow the easiest migration of rulesets to CoreRPG, as well as weigh rewrites (i.e. making it look pretty or work easier) vs. new features. There is only one of me, and I have a huge wish list and business priorities as well.

I'm open to someone providing alternate interfaces written in FG XML/Lua or alternate graphics. That's one of the great things about FG as a platform and having a great community like ours. Anyone can contribute to the cause.

Regards,
JPG

dberkompas
August 13th, 2013, 18:40
@Blackfoot, you did create a backup of the data directory before you started using the v3 release, right.
Right Blackfoot, you did, right?

@JPG:
Are you kidding me, you're asking for free labor from the FG community? Is that what you're asking?

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, PICK ME.

I've been playing around with v3 and extending the CoreRPG ruleset.

This is absolutely amazing, and I'm loving it.
(Working on a 13th Age ruleset, the book is beautiful, and it's getting great reviews, can't wait to actually play a game)

BoomerET

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 19:05
Specific to the sidebar, I've actually spent a lot of time and tried several layouts with FG to deal with the proliferation of buttons and record types, including sidebar button selection and where to put the pesky encounters/parcels/folders buttons. The first iteration has all the buttons on the sidebar, but then the sidebar icons became very small, unreadable and less accessible. There have been a couple other iterations during my testing as well. My general take is that tools (combat tracker, party sheet, lighting, colors, modifiers, effects) go in the upper right, while full-fledged campaign records (story, npcs, etc.) go in the bigger buttons. I really wanted the Encounters and Parcels buttons to be "next to" or "linked" to the NPCs and Items, but that would require a rework of the sidebar layout code.
I can definitely appreciate the complexity of 'what to put where' in a limited amount of real estate. Have you thought about prioritizing the 'client view' buttons somewhat? I mean.. the GM buttons are all well and good... and obviously we need a TON of features that the clients do not... but I know that when I'm teaching new players to use the interface.. it's always good when I can explain what they need to open quickly and easily. I'm wondering if the Combat Tracker might not be one of the 'large' buttons and perhaps the 'notes' be less significant...
I've of course added a way for NPCs to be found for clients in my games... I'm not really sure that any one of these buttons is hugely more significant than another...
Trying to prioritize a little (IMO) on the client side.. someone else might have a different view for their game.. this is way way subjective:
Combat Tracker - (Every Game - multiple times)
Party Sheet - (Every Game - multiple times)
Modifiers - (Every Game - multiple times)
Character Selection - (Every Game - usually once)
Library - (Most Games - several times per game)
Images - (Most Games - sometimes several times)
Notes - (Depends a LOT on the Player - possibly multiple times every game or never)
NPCs - (Depends on the type of PC - possibly once a game)
Story - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game)
Calendar - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game)
Items - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game or less)
Palette - (Usually Once per Campaign - unless the PC is superstitious about die colors)
Options - (Infrequently, mostly to assist novice GMs)
Tokens - (Depends on the GM - probably almost never)
Effects - (Hardish to use for the client so pretty much never)

Did I miss any?
It does seem like it would be good to have the frequently used stuff BIG and VISIBLE... and deprioritize the less frequently used stuff.

BTW: As far as the disappearing dice goes... I did backup my campaign folder before messing with 3.0 so I'm not too worried... I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into it. The issue MIGHT have been caused by not deleting the 'new' 3.0 .pak files before loading my 2.9.4 campaign... I know I've forgotten to do that a couple times. If nobody else is seeing this issue.. it is likely from that mistake on my part.

S Ferguson
August 13th, 2013, 19:28
I can definitely appreciate the complexity of 'what to put where' in a limited amount of real estate. Have you thought about prioritizing the 'client view' buttons somewhat? I mean.. the GM buttons are all well and good... and obviously we need a TON of features that the clients do not... but I know that when I'm teaching new players to use the interface.. it's always good when I can explain what they need to open quickly and easily. I'm wondering if the Combat Tracker might not be one of the 'large' buttons and perhaps the 'notes' be less significant...
I've of course added a way for NPCs to be found for clients in my games... I'm not really sure that any one of these buttons is hugely more significant than another...
Trying to prioritize a little (IMO) on the client side.. someone else might have a different view for their game.. this is way way subjective:

Combat Tracker - (Every Game - multiple times)
Party Sheet - (Every Game - multiple times)
Modifiers - (Every Game - multiple times)
Character Selection - (Every Game - usually once)
Library - (Most Games - several times per game)
Images - (Most Games - sometimes several times)
Notes - (Depends a LOT on the Player - possibly multiple times every game or never)
NPCs - (Depends on the type of PC - possibly once a game)
Story - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game)
Calendar - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game)
Items - (Depends on the GM - possibly once a game or less)
Palette - (Usually Once per Campaign - unless the PC is superstitious about die colors)
Options - (Infrequently, mostly to assist novice GMs)
Tokens - (Depends on the GM - probably almost never)
Effects - (Hardish to use for the client so pretty much never)

Did I miss any?
It does seem like it would be good to have the frequently used stuff BIG and VISIBLE... and deprioritize the less frequently used stuff.

BTW: As far as the disappearing dice goes... I did backup my campaign folder before messing with 3.0 so I'm not too worried... I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into it. The issue MIGHT have been caused by not deleting the 'new' 3.0 .pak files before loading my 2.9.4 campaign... I know I've forgotten to do that a couple times. If nobody else is seeing this issue.. it is likely from that mistake on my part.

IMHO it really depends on the game you're running. A political, or a "keeping the peace" adventure might not use the combat tracker at all. The party sheet is handy but I usually don't use it every game. I tend to use the calendar more than most, advancing the "time" of the game in order to determine weather effects and other factors; the notes on the calendar I use more than I use the notes, but that's all from a GM's perspective. From a player's POV The pertinent information I find is shared by the GM and is referenced as such. Even as a player I forget to advance the CT even though I'm conditioned to do so as a GM. I think, like I said, it depends on the game. I find, IMO, the buttons to be a bit large for my tastes, but other than that, the layout is acceptable.

Cheers,
SF

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 19:50
IMHO it really depends on the game you're running. A political, or a "keeping the peace" adventure might not use the combat tracker at all. The party sheet is handy but I usually don't use it every game. I tend to use the calendar more than most, advancing the "time" of the game in order to determine weather effects and other factors; the notes on the calendar I use more than I use the notes, but that's all from a GM's perspective. From a player's POV The pertinent information I find is shared by the GM and is referenced as such. Even as a player I forget to advance the CT even though I'm conditioned to do so as a GM. I think, like I said, it depends on the game. I find, IMO, the buttons to be a bit large for my tastes, but other than that, the layout is acceptable.

Cheers,
SF
Sounds a bit like you are talking the Host side rather than the Client side... My list there was focused more on the Client.. which obviously most users get to see and really is the face of FG not the Host side.
Yeah.. ok.. so I posted too fast and didn't finish reading before talking.. figures.
I tend to agree that the big buttons are a 'bit large' but I find the little buttons to be a bit small and crowded.

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 21:12
Found an interesting thing with the Dice Clear Glitch... I had set up my Tengu with bite and claw.. but instead of pulling the weapons from the module into the box I had pulled the 'Trait' description over and put that into the red box instead... for those weapons.. the damage dice didn't clear. Weird huh? I'm guessing the issue has something to do with the modules... or a change in the way items are created between 3.0 and 2.9.4

VenomousFiligree
August 13th, 2013, 22:30
There appears to be no formatting in the radial menu for stories

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 22:57
About the Stories thing.. I see there's a new 'table' feature.. how does that work? I can't seem to get it to do anything.

dberkompas
August 13th, 2013, 23:13
Click the Edit List button, then click the + symbol.
Select # of rows. From there it confuses me a bit.

It appears to be able to roll a dice and select an entry from the table.

Blacky
August 13th, 2013, 23:17
Anybody else seeing this dice issue that Blackfoot mentioned? I need an example to recreate, since my tests aren't showing it.
I tried one downgrade (because 2.9.4 can't connect to 3.0.0) and forgot to delete the *.pak. Canceled the downgrade to do so, after that FG wouldn't launch at all (console error at the loading screen). I had to reinstall, then restore the backup of my appdata folder.

FG is a part time project by 2 guys, so we don't have the resources or specialists that a lot of companies have in place. (such as a graphic artist, testing team or UI team)
It wasn't criticism or anything. I was just saying that the current layout could be somewhat strange, at least from my point of view, and if some brainstorming for a potential redesign wasn't done now it would probably never be (at least not before the 4.x branch). Nothing more. It's not a big deal.

Especially since most ruleset do their own work in that area.

Blacky
August 13th, 2013, 23:22
About the Stories thing.. I see there's a new 'table' feature.. how does that work? I can't seem to get it to do anything.
It's a way or creating custom “rpg table”. Like critical tables, fumble tables, encounter tables, and so on.

Create a new table, then for each row you give it two numbers: low and high. And a description.

Let's say you create this table:

1-8 : x
9-10 : y
11-12 : z

It will automatically deduce that's its a d12 table. Click the dice button of that table, it will roll a d12, and if that roll is 9 or 10 it will output in the chat “y”, if that roll is 4 it will output “x”, and so on. And the result can be for GM only, or for everyone (I think, I haven't tested it from a client point of view).

Very nice feature indeed, and can be used of a lot of different things and game.

Right now you can't hotkey the table roll, but when you'll be able to do that with one keystroke you'll have a random result of something created by you. Quite nice.

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2013, 23:30
It's a way or creating custom “rpg table”. Like critical tables, fumble tables, encounter tables, and so on.

Create a new table, then for each row you give it two numbers: low and high. And a description.

Let's say you create this table:

1-8 : x
9-10 : y
11-12 : z

It will automatically deduce that's its a d12 table. Click the dice button of that table, it will roll a d12, and if that roll is 9 or 10 it will output in the chat “y”, if that roll is 4 it will output “x”, and so on. And the result can be for GM only, or for everyone (I think, I haven't tested it from a client point of view).

Very nice feature indeed, and can be used of a lot of different things and game.

Right now you can't hotkey the table roll, but when you'll be able to do that with one keystroke you'll have a random result of something created by you. Quite nice.I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the 'table' format option in the radial menu when creating a story in CoreRPG. When I click it.. it doesn't actually appear to 'do' anything... cept turn the formatting of my line to 'normal'. I am not talking about the 'Tables Tab' which is a whole different thing.. which I am familiar with from 2.9.4.. or whenever it was added.. a while ago. This is a new Story Format feature for 3.0

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2013, 06:27
Blackfoot,
On the dice clear, assuming that we are talking character sheet on the combat tab. Is that correct? I might need a walkthrough, since I can't recreate.

MurghBpurn,
Thanks for the report. Found the issue.

Blacky,
No worries. Just wanted to let you know our situation, since it's not always obvious we're that small. There's always more to do, and fine tuning the interface and manuals doesn't always get done as well as I would like.

Blackfoot,
The "table" mode in the formatted text control can be activated via CTRL+6 or the radial menu. It's similar to the list and link list paragraph options in that the formatting persists after hitting the Enter key. By default, it looks just like the Normal text mode (which is on my list to address before release, maybe a box around table), except that the Enter key doesn't create as much space between lines as before. To create a new column, press CTRL+TAB. To increase/decrease column span, press CTRL+PLUS and CTRL+MINUS respectively.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 14th, 2013, 06:47
The "table" mode in the formatted text control can be activated via CTRL+6 or the radial menu. It's similar to the list and link list paragraph options in that the formatting persists after hitting the Enter key. By default, it looks just like the Normal text mode (which is on my list to address before release, maybe a box around table), except that the Enter key doesn't create as much space between lines as before. To create a new column, press CTRL+TAB. To increase/decrease column span, press CTRL+PLUS and CTRL+MINUS respectively.
Cool - so this is actually adding the FG supported table markup to the formattedtext data?

Selecting "Table" or CTRL-6 adds the <table> </table> markup tags.
Enter adds a new table row with <tr> </tr> markup tags.
CTRL+TAB creates a new columns with <td> </td> markup tags.
CTRL+MINUS or CTRL+PLUS modifies the COLSPAN=X markup for the column in particular.

A box around the table, rows and columns would definitely help to see what we're creating! :-)

This is a nice addition.

unerwünscht
August 14th, 2013, 07:48
Please for the love of all that is good, don't mess with the UI much. Improvements are all fine and dandy, but a simple and honest fact is that the vast majority of people using Fantasy Grounds are here because of the slick user interface, and the 3D dice. If what we wanted was a user interface that was simple and fast to use there are other options out there, but what we want is the style that is provided by FG.

Blackfoot
August 14th, 2013, 14:41
Blackfoot,
On the dice clear, assuming that we are talking character sheet on the combat tab. Is that correct? I might need a walkthrough, since I can't recreate.
I'm talking about the dice on the Actions Tab... from both spells and weapons... including dice that are setup to roll for durations... basically anywhere you set a die to roll that isn't called by 'to hit' or some other function... places where the die roll can change. This is only a problem when switching back and forth between 2.9.4 and 3.0 so I'm not sure it's worth a huge amount of your time.. but.. Did you see my note about it possibly being caused by not clearing out the new .pak files before loading the campaign? I really should test it again to see if that's the cause.. I will try and get around to checking that one today.

Blackfoot,
This is really cool! woo woo!
Obviously a little more UI in there might be good so that these features weren't hidden. Maybe a radial option to 'add rows' or something.. in the spirit of your 'make it clear and apparent' approach to 3.0

Blacky
August 14th, 2013, 21:05
So, I'm not a coder, but something came up. I have a question about the new cascading ruleset.

Let's take a very simple case, translating one string from CoreRPG, let's say the “Month” from the calendar. How would I exactly do that?

Would it be as simple as importing the CoreRPG, and adding in my new ruleset this file utility_calendar.xml :

<root>
<windowclass name="calendar_month">
<label name="label_period">
<empty>XXXXXXXX</empty>
</label>
</windowclass>
</root>

(XXXXX being the translation)

?

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2013, 04:48
Blacky,

You would need to add the merge="join" attribute to the windowclass tag, so that you didn't overwrite the windowclass. But, that is the general idea.

In the future, I would like to add string resources that can be referenced by static/default/empty tags, so that changing languages becomes easier.

JPG

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2013, 04:49
Updates

Added Castles and Crusades ruleset update to the v3.0 distribution (if already purchased)

JPG

Blacky
August 15th, 2013, 13:45
Thanks!

dr_venture
August 15th, 2013, 23:30
Moon,

I removed all of my existing C&C legacy 3.0 build software (ruleset, and all modules and extensions), and upgraded FG to 3.0. Then I created a new campaign, and got the following in the console, with the screen looking like the attached screen shot. I have set my version back to FG 2.0, then re-upgraded, but the results are the same.

Obviously graphics files are missing for some reason. Any hints at what to do to debug this further or resolve it? I have yet to even see the new ruleset :|

Runtime Notice: Host session started
Ruleset Warning: Could not load framedef resource (frames/desktop.jpg). File (frames/desktop.jpg)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (menuhub)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_maps)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_maps_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_book)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_book_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_notes)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_notes_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_tokencase)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_tokencase_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_people)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_people_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_itemchest)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_itemchest_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_library)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (button_library_down)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (lighting_day)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (lighting_night)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (lighting_fire)
Ruleset Warning: Could not load icon resource (lighting_forest)

biomage
August 16th, 2013, 03:53
Recently did a dual install of FG II and FG 3.0 alpha.

PCs - All converted with no noticeable change to stats or dice. For some reason two PCs won't accept a token. All other do so without a problem.

Story - All the no problems with the conversion. All links working. LOVE the way the box text is now clickable to populate the chat window.

Images & Maps- Grids, masks, pins, etc. all in proper places. Token facing is cool. I won't use it, but it is a nice addition.

NPCs and Encounters - All converted with no noticeable change. All links work in encounters and all encounter maintained their tokens and locations on the maps.

Items and Parcels - Items transferred well. However, all items in the parcels were "New Items" and links were broken giving me the following error: "Ruleset Error: Database type mismatch for 'description'
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/item_main.lua"]:81: attempt to index global 'description' (a nil value)"
However, since all items were correct the parcels were easily repopulated.
I am not a fan of the buttons for parcels and encounters. I preferred the old tabs, but that's just personal preference.

Tokens - I like the bigger tokens, the search and quick access buttons.

Combat Tracker - While I miss the targeting in the combat tracker as a GM, I like the token to token targeting for players. Like 2.9.4, I still don't see the PCs speed or attacks listed in the combat tracker.

General
It loads much much faster.
All shared sheets were still shared.
Trenloe and Callum's adaptation of Tenian's Language extension worked by only adjusting the rulesets in the properties of the extension.xml.
Theme conversion was pretty smooth. However, I can't figure out where the attack/damage indicator pngs are for the chat window.
No problem with any of the modules.

Overall, I like most the changes and the problems seem to be thinning out. Looking forward to it going live.

However, upon reloading the campaign after it has been converted to PFRPG, I got an error
"Database Error: A XML parse error occurred processing file db.xml - Error on line 9257: Error reading end tag."

Investigated line 9257 of the db.xml and found orphan </p> tag. Added an open <p>. Saved and tried to reload it and received a similar error at line 9293, which had the same problem. Fixed them both and it loaded without a problem.

Both errors were after the tables on a zombie NPC. The first was after the Challenge Rating table, the second after the Armor Class table.

EDIT: Additional details and campaign zip sent to Moon_Wizard.

Moon Wizard
August 16th, 2013, 07:38
dr_venture,
Were you able to get this resolved? You can try moving your FG data directory, and re-updating to make sure everything is clear.

biomage,
Do you have a copy of the original campaign directory before migrating? If so, please zip up and send to me at [email protected]. Also, please include your list in the e-mail with any details you have on which records (i.e. character names, parcel names, etc.) had issues.

BTW, we are at Gencon this weekend, so our responses will be delayed until after the show ends.

Thanks for your help,
JPG

ElementalAjah
August 16th, 2013, 07:43
In the 4th edition ruleset, I get a script error whenever I try to apply any effect to any target in the combat tracker.

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:388: attempt to call field 'getActiveInit' (a nil value)

This includes automatically parsed effects from monster and player powers as well as manually created effects. There doesn't appear to be any difference whether I double click a targetable effect with a target, double click a "self" targeting effect, or click and drag a targetable effect.

dr_venture
August 16th, 2013, 20:53
Moon: I renamed the data directory, and that seemed to clear up the clog, but C&C doesn't download. I'm guessing it's because I purchased that ruleset a long time ago via DriveThruRPG. I'm assuming the FG 3.0 version of the ruleset can't download through them, so... and ideas?

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 21:04
The old ruleset was packaged the same way on the FG website, so I don't think that would be a problem. Mind you I try not to think too much. It's hard on the noggin'.

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 21:06
Thanks!

Anything to please the masses.

dr_venture
August 16th, 2013, 21:15
The old ruleset was packaged the same way on the FG website, so I don't think that would be a problem. Mind you I try not to think too much. It's hard on the noggin'.

So... I need to downgrade to the Live version of FG, reinstall C&C, re-upgrade FG to dev, and the new C&C should come down as an automatic upgrade. *sigh* Does make sense...

dr_venture
August 16th, 2013, 21:17
I guess I don't have to downgrade FG, actually - just quit, install C&C and restart FG.

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 21:28
Yep. That's about it. And make sure to do the login procedure just in case.

dr_venture
August 16th, 2013, 23:04
Yep. That's about it. And make sure to do the login procedure just in case.

Nope, doesn't work. I can use FG 3.0, and I can open C&C 2.0 in FG 3.0, but Fantasy Grounds never recognizes that I have a legitimate copy of C&C installed, and thus never updates my ruleset to the new version.

I did reenter my login and password, but since the ruleset was purchased via DriveThruRPG, the FG servers do not show me as owning C&C in teh Settings window.

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 23:23
Nope, doesn't work. I can use FG 3.0, and I can open C&C 2.0 in FG 3.0, but Fantasy Grounds never recognizes that I have a legitimate copy of C&C installed, and thus never updates my ruleset to the new version.

I did reenter my login and password, but since the ruleset was purchased via DriveThruRPG, the FG servers do not show me as owning C&C in teh Settings window.

Guess you'll have to wait for Gen-Con to be over so they can get you up and running. Geese, I haven't been at Gen-Con in three years.

Ardem
August 17th, 2013, 03:47
A request for Core RPG.

You have some of the basic fields brought across in core, however I am hoping you can add a few more of the custom fields such as drag&drop dice roll fields (aka like number_charabilitybonus) but in a more generic form and dropdown boxes, this would save on recreating the wheel.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2013, 05:57
ElementalAjah,
Thanks for error report. I'll look into it.

dr_venture,
The DriveThruRPG orders are not set up the same in our database, so I'll need to circle with Doug to see how I can add it so that the patch system can update based on DriverThur orders or how to work around. I'll check with him tomorrow to see if I can get you something tomorrow evening.

Ardem,
You can drag dice to a line entry in the Main tab of the character sheet, giving each line an assigned set of dice as well as a modifier.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
August 17th, 2013, 18:03
You can drag dice to a line entry in the Main tab of the character sheet, giving each line an assigned set of dice as well as a modifier.
I missed this as well.

Oooohhh, fancy. Very nice.

Blackfoot
August 17th, 2013, 22:41
This sounds really cool. I can't wait to test it out.

Blacky
August 19th, 2013, 11:35
See : https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-p0oP.png

The tools icons bleed outside the frame.

My guess, it's a clipping bug. FG clips at the overall frame size, when it should clips where toolbar_back.png is clipped.

By the way, these tools are quite a nice feature (nicer than radial multiclickyoutodeath) but they take up a lot of pixel real estate (even when off, since the toolbar it's still there).

Maybe they could be smaller (20×20 maybe) and drawn on top of the image, quite like the usual button_scroller?

If not, everything should go inside the toolbar. button scroller and zomer, sharing portrait, state icons, and so on.

I guess it's ok to have a toolbar on maps since you need more controls, data, needs to draw and such; but for simple image (like NPC portrait, illustrations and whatnot) it's a lot of wasted pixels.

Trenloe
August 19th, 2013, 16:44
I guess it's ok to have a toolbar on maps since you need more controls, data, needs to draw and such; but for simple image (like NPC portrait, illustrations and whatnot) it's a lot of wasted pixels.
You can hide the toolbar down to the single toolbar icon on a per image basis - so hide it for images and open it for maps. The default setting for the toolbar is to only show the single icon, so only open it for maps not images.

Blacky
August 19th, 2013, 20:19
You can hide the toolbar down to the single toolbar icon on a per image basis - so hide it for images and open it for maps. The default setting for the toolbar is to only show the single icon, so only open it for maps not images.
As far as I can see, this doesn't change a thing. The toolbar space is still here. Only one icon in it, but the big brown bar without the image is still there.

Blacky
August 19th, 2013, 21:45
Edit: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

The bug was in my framedef, idiot that I am, even if I checked it eight times before posting.

I will flog myself with rusted nails, promise!

bzjeurd
August 19th, 2013, 23:56
I don't know if it related with the 3.0 version but if I use the tag <readonly /> for a numberfield control, the onClickRelease() event function is not working at all while the onDoubleClick() and onClickDown() functions are still working well.

Blackfoot
August 20th, 2013, 06:52
As far as I can see, this doesn't change a thing. The toolbar space is still here. Only one icon in it, but the big brown bar without the image is still there.Right. This seems to be a new thing.. it covers part of the map/image with a toolbar bar. I thought it was a feature.

Blackfoot
August 20th, 2013, 07:06
Testing out the custom dice thing in CoreRPG... it seems that you can't drag those dice to the F-key Macrobar.

That is... the dice you can drag to an entry on a character sheet... you can't drag that entry to a macro.

Blacky
August 20th, 2013, 08:32
Bug with subwindow uppercase title
The new subwindows titles are automatically displayed as upper case. Why not, but it doesn't handle non ascii characters. See:
https://temp.dorem.info/screenshots/bscr-NAV3.png

Probably a font issue.

Confirmed it's a font (story-14.fgf) issue.

Blacky
August 20th, 2013, 10:11
CoreRPG: when one drag a character sheet on a HotKey, the portrait is (partially) displayed and make the hotkey shortcut disappear.

See: 4726

An elegant solution would be to display the name of the PC in the hotkey, or something like: “PC: name”, instead of the portrait.

Moon Wizard
August 20th, 2013, 21:10
Thanks to all for the reports. Just getting back into the saddle after Gencon, so hoping to an update later this week.

Blacky,
The image space on top of the image window is by design to give people an obvious "handle" to drag windows around. I always felt this was lacking in many windows leading to situations where you would try to drag and fail because you were selecting a control in the window. Also, I plan to make the tools for the image window more permanently available. I feel that the improved accessibility overcomes the minor loss of window real estate. Eventually, I may shrink the toolbar to 24 pixel (the smallest I am aiming for button objects to encourage long-term touch support), but probably not for this release.

Thanks,
JPG

S Ferguson
August 20th, 2013, 21:21
Thanks to all for the reports. Just getting back into the saddle after Gencon, so hoping to an update later this week.

Blacky,
The image space on top of the image window is by design to give people an obvious "handle" to drag windows around. I always felt this was lacking in many windows leading to situations where you would try to drag and fail because you were selecting a control in the window. Also, I plan to make the tools for the image window more permanently available. I feel that the improved accessibility overcomes the minor loss of window real estate. Eventually, I may shrink the toolbar to 24 pixel (the smallest I am aiming for button objects to encourage long-term touch support), but probably not for this release.

Thanks,
JPG

Maybe a larger "drag bar" would be more appropriate too in this case. I've always found it to be on the "wee" side for proper scrolling. The 3.4 SW ruleset incorporated this feature and I must admit, if your heading toward touch (but not in this version :) - sheesh a Win 8 app) the larger scrollbar would be a lot handier.

Cheers,
SF

Moon Wizard
August 20th, 2013, 22:22
Are you talking about the general scrollbar for all windows, or specifically the pan scroller button for image windows? I'm assuming that you are talking about the general scrollbar, which I wholeheartedly agree. ;)

JPG

S Ferguson
August 20th, 2013, 22:35
Are you talking about the general scrollbar for all windows, or specifically the pan scroller button for image windows? I'm assuming that you are talking about the general scrollbar, which I wholeheartedly agree. ;)

JPG

You can safely wholeheartedly agree. :)

Cheers,
SF

Blacky
August 21st, 2013, 03:00
Blacky,
Ok. I admit it happened to me to, looking to move the window and starting dragging an element. I also find a toolbar more useful than radial submenus.

It's a design choice.

If that's the way you want to go, maybe you could move the others icons (scroller, zoomer, the web, the magnifying glass, and so on) to that same toolbar?

Maybe a larger "drag bar" would be more appropriate too in this case. I've always found it to be on the "wee" side for proper scrolling. The 3.4 SW ruleset incorporated this feature and I must admit, if your heading toward touch (but not in this version :) - sheesh a Win 8 app) the larger scrollbar would be a lot handier.
Touch and mouse user interface are very different things. One cannot expect the same interface design to work both ways.

It's very possible to code once, and adjust the several icons and functions to account for touch (CSS does that quite fine with queries), but for example a scrollbar good enough for our large fingers would be much too large for mouse. No right click with touch. And so on.

Vector graphics helps tremendously toward one software two interfaces of course. But I bet for most ruleset authors, it would be easier to just duplicate bitmaps than redraw them with vectors.

Blacky
August 21st, 2013, 06:09
<shadow/> is a new definition for <font>? Any other goodies like this?

S Ferguson
August 21st, 2013, 16:20
Ok. I admit it happened to me to, looking to move the window and starting dragging an element. I also find a toolbar more useful than radial submenus.

It's a design choice.

If that's the way you want to go, maybe you could move the others icons (scroller, zoomer, the web, the magnifying glass, and so on) to that same toolbar?

Touch and mouse user interface are very different things. One cannot expect the same interface design to work both ways.

It's very possible to code once, and adjust the several icons and functions to account for touch (CSS does that quite fine with queries), but for example a scrollbar good enough for our large fingers would be much too large for mouse. No right click with touch. And so on.

Vector graphics helps tremendously toward one software two interfaces of course. But I bet for most ruleset authors, it would be easier to just duplicate bitmaps than redraw them with vectors.

I wasn't referring to the "touch" part of it so much as the current version of the Alpha. But you are correct, although with gestures and touch screen technology seeping in (but not yet, thank you Windows 8) you can accomplish quite a bit, and you can "emulate" a mouse button on Android, at least. and you usually aren't right clicking on the scrollbar anyway. Single and double taps would work, though. This is completely worhless speculation, mind you. (and my fingers aren't that big :)

Moon Wizard
August 22nd, 2013, 00:44
Blacky,

You might want to flip through the release notes, if you are interested in checking out all the nooks and crannies. There have been so many small changes to make development better, that I can't even remember them all anymore.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
August 22nd, 2013, 17:01
I did, thanks.

Moon Wizard
August 23rd, 2013, 01:11
Updates

Undo buffers remembered in text and formatted text fields even after losing focus.
Hot keys updated to always display titles even when displaying icons or tokens.
Tokens and icons dragged to hot key will be scaled to display better on the hot key.
[Core+] Removed [GM] text tag from secret roll text, since it already shows icon.
[4E] Added support for "MARK: -#" effect tag to apply the Marked condition with varying marking penalties.
[DEV] Widget support added to buttoncontrols.
[DEV] onListChanged event on deletion now generated before contents of window deleted.
[DEV][Core+] Template number_linked will assume "number" data type if addSource called with no type parameter, instead of generating error.
[Dev][Core+] Changed handler registration for CombatManager callback events.
Database corruption when loading certain formattedtext combinations from PFRPG Megabestiary. Fixed.
Unable to access text formatting options (bold, italic, underline) for formatted text controls via radial menu. Fixed.
[CnC] Patch system unable to deliver files containing ampersands (i.e. Monsters & treasures module, PDF documentation). Fixed.
[Core+] Coin distribution in party sheet had rounding error. Fixed.
[Core+] Items not stacking when dragging from character to party sheet while Item Identification option off. Fixed.
[Core+] Party sheet item assignment field not cleared after item distribution. Fixed.
[Core+] Script error when deleting character inventory items. Fixed.
[Core+] Story/note header font did not display European characters correctly. Fixed.
[CoreRPG/CoC/CnC] Script error when dragging or dropping anything on effect label. Fixed.
[4E/3.5E/PFRPG/CnC] Secret roll resolution messages not displaying (attack,damage,heal). Fixed.
[4E/3.5E] Treasure parcels not being migrated to the new item record format. Fixed.
[4E] Script error regarding getActiveInit function when using effects. Fixed.
[CnC] NPCs added to combat tracker are missing hit points and bonus to hit values. Fixed.
[CnC] Script error when updating health in combat tracker. Fixed.
[CnC] Modifiers for certain conditions (Blinded, Prone, Stunned, Cowering) were not being applied. Fixed.
[CnC] Blinded and Prone as well as Stunned and Cowering were not stacking when calculating AC vs. an attack. Fixed.
[CnC] Selling items in the party sheet always calculated zero, regardless of item value. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

Blacky
August 23rd, 2013, 02:11
Nice work, thanks.

Stupid question (but the search is stupided than I am, can't find it): what's the difference between Core+ & CoreRPG?

Moon Wizard
August 23rd, 2013, 02:29
I use [Core+] to denote changes that are across all the rulesets using CoreRPG as a base right now. (i.e. 4E, 3.5E, PFRPG, CoC, CnC)

While it's still in alpha, I'm making structural changes to CoreRPG that ripple across the rulesets. Once we get to release, I will start having to think about backward compatibility concerns, so I'm making the changes now that it is still in development and I have control over the rulesets being built on top of it.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
August 23rd, 2013, 02:40
Makes perfect sense, thanks.

biomage
August 23rd, 2013, 21:44
I think I found a new bug with the most recent update. The authors in the library are cut off at the bottom.

Midhir
August 27th, 2013, 00:58
Ok I read through the thread and maybe I missed it but here is the bug I think I found:

You can no longer drag effects, attack rolls and damage rolls to the Hot Key Bar. Dragging dice and character portraits works.

bzjeurd
August 27th, 2013, 09:30
Hello,
Using the CoreRPG ruleset, when I drop a number on the Dice Tower, I get this LUA script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:508: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value).
I know, the dice tower is not a number tower, but the script has to manage this kind of mistake or silly user action.

BZ

bzjeurd
August 27th, 2013, 09:41
Hello,
Another bug or limitation, depends on your point of view...
I'm currently using the merge feature for the windowclass in order to do some localization (French translation) for the Calendar interface.
The feature, and its a normal behavior, only works for named controls, not for unnamed ones. But the several windowclass in Calendar, and amongs other windows/panels elements, contains few unnamed controls. It would be nice if the CoreRPG windowclasses does not contain any unnamed controls, so we will able to merge CoreRPG classes with our own classes without the need of all rewriting...
Or there is maybe a way to identify the unnamed controls in the windowclass?

Merge feature for windowclass is a huge and powerfull feature of FG3!

BZ

bzjeurd
August 27th, 2013, 12:47
Hello,
Another nice improvement. You built two interresting template controls called button_iconcycler and button_stringcycler. As I use them intensively with sometimes a lot of clickable values, is it possible to modify them that they will accept (ALT/CTRL/SHIFT)-Right-Click to reverse the cycle process ? I can modifiy these templates scripts myself but I prefer to stay as close as possible to CoreRPG templates. In the wake, it would be also nice to implement the hability to set a starting value (not nul) chosen from the value list or at least the first in the list?
Thanks a lot.

Ardem
August 28th, 2013, 06:44
Curious on number_modifier, is this an inherit field now?

The reason I ask, I was trying to track back from number_charinit, and got back to number_modifier and cannot find the template for this. I am using Notepad ++ and Find in Files look in both the 4E and 3.5E folders for it.

There is only four references to it in 4E and 2 in 3.5E none of which are the parent template.

It is not throwing up an error so it is fine but curious to whether this is a new inherit feature and what is it purpose. I did browse the forums for the above text but was very little on it.

Dakadin
August 28th, 2013, 06:47
Check the template_common.xml file in the CoreRPG ruleset.

Ardem
August 28th, 2013, 07:09
Hahaha beat me to it, was going to answer my own question. Hate you for being so quick <grin>

<importruleset source="CoreRPG" /> under Base.xml.

Does the importruleset work like extensions where I only need to include modified and new files, however with extensions i needed to add called scripts even if not modified, or is even this not required any more?

S Ferguson
August 28th, 2013, 20:46
Well yes and no. The importruleset brings in the elements of the CoreRPG to the system doing the importing. You could make an extension that only overwrites areas you want, but that won't get you a ruleset ;). That can only be built on top of the CoreRPG with a base.xml, logo, the works. It also has to keep the files in the same fashion (if you're writing the ruleset there might be a bit to overwrite - or not include), so in that respect it doesn't. It's a very flexible system, though and you can do a lot with it I find.

Cheers,
SF

Midhir
August 28th, 2013, 21:17
Hot Key Quick Bar Bug

I've done further testing and it looks like any roll that you can make from the character sheet (hit, damage, saves, etc) can no longer be pulled to the Quick Bar along with the Effects.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

The Effects I had in the campaign previous to upgrading to v.3 still work but no new ones can be added. Dice can be pulled from the table top and they work fine along with character sheets (full & mini).

Blackfoot
August 28th, 2013, 21:28
Hot Key Quick Bar Bug

I've done further testing and it looks like any roll that you can make from the character sheet (hit, damage, saves, etc) can no longer be pulled to the Quick Bar along with the Effects.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

The Effects I had in the campaign previous to upgrading to v.3 still work but no new ones can be added. Dice can be pulled from the table top and they work fine along with character sheets (full & mini).
I reported this bug for CoreRPG back on the 20th. I've not done testing in any of the other rulesets for this one but it seems like it could be a global issue.

unerwünscht
August 30th, 2013, 08:03
Using the latest dev build on Win 7 and the 3.5e ruleset, my players reported encountering a handful of errors this evening.

Network Error: Download error for file 'halfling_male_adventurer_a_01.png@Character Tokens'; HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND
Network Error: Download error for file 'monsters_construct_spider_b_01.png@Monster Tokens'; HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND
Script Error: [string "weaponlist"]:1: attempt to call field 'getEditMode' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/list_spellclass.lua"]:19: attempt to call field 'getEditMode' (a nil value)

The first token was a token from the characters module included in FG, and was assigned to the character sheets by me (as GM).
The second token was from the monsters module included in FG, and was dragged to the map by me.
The players confirmed that the spider token did not show up on the map for them.

The other two errors I have no idea what they were doing when they got them.

Moon Wizard
September 1st, 2013, 06:54
bzjeurd,
* If you will help me identify the controls that have text to be customized, I will do my best to name all those controls. In the future, I hope to add a string resource type that can be referenced by any tag that uses text. Then, you could write an extension to rewrite the interface fairly easily. However, it didn't make the v3.0 release, due to the amount of work.
* I answered your button state tag question in the other thread.
* Probably not going to add that level of complexity to the cycler buttons, but you should be able to override the template to do what you want.

Ardem,
It works just like almost exactly like extensions. In fact, extensions became more powerful as well, because they inherited the merge capability as well. The other big benefit is that you do not need to include referenced files in the higher layers, as the file check now falls through and looks for files in the lower layers as well.

Midhir/Blackfoot,
I'm actually mid-rewrite of the entire ActionsManager script in CoreRPG which will address the hot key issue as a byproduct.

unerwünscht,
* Thanks for the report.
* The token errors imply that the modules with those names were not found, which seems odd since they are installed with the default install. I haven't seen this on my local network usage. Do you see other tokens from that modules okay?
* I'll look into the other script error, and see if I can reverse engineer the issue.

Regards,
JPG

unerwünscht
September 1st, 2013, 07:40
DM side I can see them just fine, but all players were getting those errors, and continue to get those errors if I use any tokens from those modules, I have not had a chance to see if it happens with all module based tokens.

bzjeurd
September 1st, 2013, 12:56
@Moon_Wizard
Thanx for your replies.
The unnamed controls are mainly in the utility_calendar.xml and utility_calendrar_logs. I will wait for a future release that implement what you described above.
Ok, I will write my own stringcycler and iconcycler scripts that extend those find in the CoreRPG ruleset.

Gosh, I hope you will not change entirely the Action Manager script as my ruleset use several of its rolls and messages functions.

BZ

Brenn
September 2nd, 2013, 11:33
the script for the onUpdate() handler of windowtitlebar has an error-
currently:

function onUpdate()
if widgetTitle then
local nodeTitle = getDatabaseNode().getChild(field[1]);
widgetTitle.setText(nodeTitle.getValue());
end
end

however I believe it should be (or at least I have to change it to this in the ruleset I'm working on)

function onUpdate()
if widgetTitle then
local nodeTitle = window.getDatabaseNode().getChild(field[1]);
widgetTitle.setText(nodeTitle.getValue());
end
end

Darkfaith
September 2nd, 2013, 23:55
Been playing around with this, I haven't encountered any errors so far, but I am seeing a problem with categories in the Library on parser-built 4E modules. Rather than displaying the category name at the top of each category, it displays the module author in font too large for the box. Here's a screenshot of the problem. I had this occur both with a preexisting campaign, and a newly started one.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2013, 00:19
Looking at the code, it appears that the library window attempts to use the category information if it exists, and falls back to the author information if the category does not exist. Do your 4E modules have a category tag in the definition.xml file?

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2013, 01:19
Updates

Auto-save messages moved from chat window to console window.
Tokens smaller than token bag grid are no longer upsampled to fit grid.
Token bag radial menu modified to add zoom out option.
If not connected to Internet, alias server inaccessible message no longer forces open console.
[Core+] Search box no longer larger than other text fields.
[Core+] Token bag returned to 50x50 default viewing size.
[Core+] Tokens in token bag which are downscaled to display in token bag are highlighted by a glowing box frame.
[Core+] Token bag now has zoom in and zoom out buttons.
[Core+] Double clicking on combat tracker token (or sheet token linked to combat tracker) will open the map which contains the token, as well as center the map on the token.
[Core+] Buttons in GM token bag are now smaller.
[Core+] The library will no longer sort module sections by name. (changed back to previous behavior, i.e. sort by database node name)
[4E] Add parsing support for "marks a target" text in power descriptions.
[CoC] Added targeting to attack and damage rolls.
[CoC] Targeted damage rolls applied to target HP amount.
[CnC] Icon added to dragged effects.
[CnC] Critical success and failure notes added to attack and siege rolls.
[CnC] Encumbrance calculation, rating and status updated to the latest version of the rules. As in other rulesets, encumbrance state is not applied to rolls or movement automatically.
[DEV] CoreRPG ActionsManager script rewritten
[DEV] Added compatibility for control click capture order difference between 2.9 and 3.0. In v3.0, click capture is in reverse display order, instead of reverse definition order.
[DEV] imagecontrol: Add setViewportCenter function; setViewport third parameter is now optional
[DEV] tokenbagcontrol: Add getZoom and setZoom functions; Add tokenframe.scaled tag
[DEV] windowlist: Specified filters will be cleared when an item is added to a list using the radial menu.
[DEV] dragdata: Add setSlotType, getSlotType, setMetaData, getMetaData, addShortcut, getShortcutList, setData
[DEV] chatwindow: throwDice now accepts a "dragdata" structure that allows more options to be defined.
[DEV] Comm: throwDice now accepts a "dragdata" structure that allows more options to be defined.
Module tokens were not being loaded or transferred correctly. Fixed.
[Core+] Library header text cut off. Fixed.
[Core+] Rolls were not able to be dropped on hot keys. Fixed.
[Core+] Script error when dropping number on dice tower. Fixed.
[Core+] Script error when field linked to window title changed. Fixed.
[3.5E] Remove on miss multi-target option ignored for direct CLC and spell save actions. Fixed.
[4E] Error when attempting to view NPC powers when double-clicking on power name in CT window. Fixed.
[4E] Script error when rolling critical success on a death save. Fixed.
[CnC] Script errors when opening NPC sheet links in combat tracker. Fixed.
[CnC] Monster records in modules were not able to be viewed. Fixed.
[CnC] Party sheet ability labels incorrectly ordered. Fixed.
[CnC] Script error when opening equipment lists in the Arms and Armor module. Fixed.
[CnC] Equipment list not displaying EV and EV capacity fields for non-armor, non-weapon equipment. Fixed.

JPG

Dakadin
September 4th, 2013, 02:26
Wow! Great update! Thanks JPG! :D

dberkompas
September 4th, 2013, 03:35
Great Googly Moogly

Andraax
September 4th, 2013, 05:29
Still a problem with the calculation of AC in CnC. I updated my bug fix extension to work with tonight's released ruleset.

CnC Bug Fixes Extension (https://goo.gl/6l34wR)

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2013, 06:06
One change I wanted to get input on is the token highlight for down scaled tokens. It was suggested by one of the alpha testers, but I'm on the fence about it. Please give me your thoughts.

Any other interface suggestions for working with a bag of tokens across multiple resolutions are appreciated.

Cheers,
JPG

dr_venture
September 4th, 2013, 06:43
I'm not a fan of the token hilighting... basically every single token I have now has a irritating yellow box around it.

Darkfaith
September 4th, 2013, 07:55
Looking at the code, it appears that the library window attempts to use the category information if it exists, and falls back to the author information if the category does not exist. Do your 4E modules have a category tag in the definition.xml file?

Regards,
JPG

Hmmm....looks like the parser puts the categoryname tag in the client/common/db.xml file, not the definition.xml, which works just fine under the current Live build.

Blacky
September 4th, 2013, 08:39
One change I wanted to get input on is the token highlight for down scaled tokens. It was suggested by one of the alpha testers, but I'm on the fence about it. Please give me your thoughts.
Any other interface suggestions for working with a bag of tokens across multiple resolutions are appreciated.
Right now, I got this (see attached image). :cry: But that could be fixed with a full back glow pic, however it's not as nice as a real glow (by code, just around the image unalpha edge, and not by background image).

I'm slightly on the fence about it too. The glow could be lighter, more subtle, for one thing. And bigger than the token (right now it's 50×50 like the default token size).

Right now the only other idea I can come up with, apart from changing the glow to a shadow, would be some kind of “+” (subtle, half transparent, light) on each token, maybe on the bottom right corner or something. But not a fan about it. Still thinking about it.

But my screenshot shows a slight glitch: tokens should be centered even when they are not squared size.

Brenn
September 4th, 2013, 14:01
... trying to get code to work right :/can you not post xml in [code] any longer? I think I'm doing something wrong but dont' have time to figure it out. Will check back after work. Heck it's not even picking up my linefeeds after I post...

JohnD
September 4th, 2013, 19:59
Not seeing a big advantage from the hi-lighting around the tokens in the bags.

Moon Wizard
September 4th, 2013, 20:11
Testing XML code post.

<!--
-->

<root>
</root>

JPG

Brenn
September 4th, 2013, 23:57
Ok don't know what was going on this am, but it seems ok now.

So I'm having a strange problem with the ruleset I'm working on. First off I'm using CoreRPG as the bottom layer. Ok so I have a series of controls that I create dynamically. The create a text widget then size themselves to the widget. Here is the code:

<template name="text_line">
<genericcontrol>
<anchored>
<top />
<left />
<size> <width>20</width> <height>20</height> </size>
</anchored>
<frame name="rowshade" />
<script file="utility/scripts/text_line.lua" />
</genericcontrol>
</template>

text_line.lua (the getElementSize function is a (not perfect) workaround to the problem I'm about to describe).

local myText = "";
local myWidget = nil;
local myFont = "dwBody-r";

function onInit()
end

function setWidget(sText, sFont)
if myWidget then
myWidget.destroy();
end
myText = sText;
myFont = sFont;
myWidget = addTextWidget(myFont, myText);
sizeToWidget();
end

function sizeToWidget()
if myWidget then
local widgetWidth, widgetHeight = myWidget.getSize();
--print(myWidget.getText()..", w="..widgetWidth);
setAnchoredHeight(widgetHeight + 2);
setAnchoredWidth(widgetWidth);
myWidget.setPosition("top",0,(widgetHeight/2)+1);
end
end

function setToBlank(nWidth, nHeight)
setAnchoredHeight(nHeight + 2);
setAnchoredWidth(nWidth);
end

function getElementSize()
if myWidget then
return myWidget.getSize();
else
return getSize();
end
end

Ok in another script I maintain a table of these controls. I then iterate through them and call the getSize() function. It works great until I get to the last control in the table- at that point getSize() reports both width and height to be 20 (the height actually is 20, but the width varies and is rarely 20. It is actually a control containing text (I did a print in that routine and verified the text contained by the widget vs the reported size) and it's width is definitely not 20- this is also verified by the rowshade frame (which I wouldn't normally be using).

I'll post the code that iterates, though it's a bit of a mess at this point because I was trying to figure out what was going on... note that the call to v.getElementSize() is the workaround for v.getSize() as that was behaving poorly as I previously described.

function refreshDescription()
local topOffset = 8;
local currentLineWidth = 0;
local myWidth, myHeight = self.getSize();
local effectiveWidth = myWidth - (math.abs(leftTextOffset)+math.abs(rightTextOffset ));
--local effectiveWidth = resizeWidth - (math.abs(leftTextOffset)+math.abs(rightTextOffset ));
--local resizeError = currentWidth - effectiveWidth;
for k, v in pairs(moveControls) do
local nvWidth, nvHeight = v.getElementSize();
--print("nv: "..nvWidth..", clw: "..currentLineWidth..", ew: "..effectiveWidth);
if (nvWidth + currentLineWidth) >= effectiveWidth then
currentLineWidth = nvWidth;
topOffset = topOffset + nvHeight;
else
currentLineWidth = currentLineWidth + nvWidth;
end
v.resetAnchor("left");
v.resetAnchor("top");
v.setAnchor("left",getName(),"left","",leftTextOffset+(currentLineWidth-nvWidth));
v.setAnchor("top",getName(),"top","",topOffset);
end
end

I'm pretty sure that this might be a bug with FG, but I haven't convinced myself yet. I very well might have a lapse in reasoning- it's happening more as I'm getting older ;)

Brenn
September 5th, 2013, 00:14
To show what I'm talking about here are a couple of screen shots. the first is one where the width doesn't screw up the visual of the control, though it does demonstrate that it is definitely greater than 20. The second shows how the error evidences itself (look in the move description).

What I'm doing with being able to resize the move description I wouldn't even have attempted before, but thanks to the clock library stuff I can now clamp the refresh and it appears to be performing quite well. Thanks for that!

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2013, 01:03
My guess is that the getElementSize() function is seeing that the myWidget variable is not set yet, and returning the width of the underlying control which is always 20. (based on control definition) You'd have to put a Debug.chat or Debug.console in the getElementSize function to be sure. I don't see the call to setWidget, so it's probably an initialization order issue.

My first reaction to the code is that it is trying to perform a bunch of layout that could probably be handled better by a list or some other approach. Maybe you can describe what you are trying to do, and we can make suggestions on implementation approaches.

Regards,
JPG

Brenn
September 5th, 2013, 01:57
Well I want to be able to enter new moves and edit them from within fantasy grounds for dungeon world. I want to be able to layout the text in such a way that it appears as it would in print, however certain mechanical functions (such as rolls, multiple choices(radio groups) and the roll tables) are embedded in the text with interactivity- eg. click on the roll+... to roll, be able to select the choices, etc. Therefore these would have to be embedded in the text as controls. I also want the description text to be container size independent, hence the above code. I know I could implement this in a way that would be easier in regards to fantasy grounds, but I really want it to just... well... read like it would on the table top. I guess it's just my aesthetics.

The screenshots show the Move Editor, but the control displaying the move description is a template which will be reused and read the moves from the DB.

By the way- the getElementSize function is not what is causing the problem- it is the getSize (which is what that call replaced so I could move on and keep working)- does setAnchoredWidth not change the control width? It did on every one prior in the list except for the last one. The console in the screen shots demonstrates this. I've basically got this working (on a basic level), however the getSize function was giving me fits. I don't know that it would be timing- every time the last control in the table returns a width of 20 when it is obviously not that. Again, it could be me.

Here is the code from the screenshots above:

function refreshDescription()
local topOffset = 8;
local currentLineWidth = 0;
local myWidth, myHeight = self.getSize();
local effectiveWidth = myWidth - (math.abs(leftTextOffset)+math.abs(rightTextOffset ));
--local effectiveWidth = resizeWidth - (math.abs(leftTextOffset)+math.abs(rightTextOffset ));
--local resizeError = currentWidth - effectiveWidth;
for k, v in pairs(moveControls) do
local nvWidth, nvHeight = v.getSize();
--local nvWidth, nvHeight = v.getElementSize();
print("Element: "..v.getText());
print("Width: "..nvWidth..", CurrentLineWidth: "..currentLineWidth..", EffectiveWidth: "..effectiveWidth);
if (nvWidth + currentLineWidth) > effectiveWidth then
currentLineWidth = nvWidth;
topOffset = topOffset + nvHeight;
else
currentLineWidth = currentLineWidth + nvWidth;
end
v.resetAnchor("left");
v.resetAnchor("top");
v.setAnchor("left",getName(),"left","",leftTextOffset+(currentLineWidth-nvWidth));
v.setAnchor("top",getName(),"top","",topOffset);
end
end

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2013, 02:03
The setAnchoredSize function does not immediately change the layout of the control; it just sets the size for the next layout event. Layout events occur between script execution events. So, if you call getSize during the same script execution pass as the setAnchoredSize, you will get the original size.

The way that I handled this with the 4E powers was to assume a standard format for "rolls" within the text. Then, parse them so that they were highlighted on hover, and supported drag and double-click actions. In that way, there is no crazy layout code, just a semi-complex text parser.

Regards,
JPG

Brenn
September 5th, 2013, 02:26
Guess I'll have to go that way then. I didn't really wan't to because the layout of custom moves in DW is nowhere close to standard. I guess you could just edit them to that way. This makes me sad, I was kinda enjoying it. Oh well, move on ;)

JohnD
September 5th, 2013, 04:07
This is probably an unfair question, given I know absolutely nothing about what is involved in all this, but is there any kind of a timeline for FG v3 being the Live version? Is this an early 2014 thing or before then? I'm really just curious... understand if there really isn't an answer at this point. Thanks.

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2013, 05:46
I'm sort of playing it by ear at this point, since I want to make sure that the CoreRPG layer is solid for people to build on top of. I'm targeting November, but that all depends on feedback.

Once I clear a few more items off of my list that could cause some bigger changes, I will be moving this to "beta" mode for wider testing and use in live games for the adventurous.

Cheers,
JPG

Blacky
September 5th, 2013, 06:57
Not seeing a big advantage from the hi-lighting around the tokens in the bags.
It's just a way of showing tokens bigger than the usual (i.e. medium in d20ish games), common size.

It's not all tokens, it will/should be ruleset based.

Brenn
September 5th, 2013, 11:46
Redacted

Blacky
September 5th, 2013, 18:52
Campaign records can be shared (i.e. made public) without having players connected.
Failed file transfers (images, tokens, modules, portraits) due to network errors will attempt resend.

Two quick questions.

First and foremost : public record can be accessed by anyone, anytime? I ask this ~strange~ question because a feature request I made was answered with this, but tonight I'm no so sure. What I need FG to do is to remember a “Preload image” settings even with no players connected, and when each player connect it preloads the record to him (without sharing it just yet). I believe that's one of the most common way to handle things, just open FG 15 minutes before play time and have player connect during that time to preload every record needed for this gaming session. However right now, I need to wait for players to connect, then preload each image one by one :(

Second question, a more technical one (I ask because some people have bad connexions and ask for advice in my gaming groups): how is the fail transfer handled? At the TCP level, a check on each packet? Inside FG, packet by packet, chunk by chunk, or the whole file (meaning a 1MiB file failed will have to be sent again whole, which could mean quite a lot of bandwith for quite some time if the transfer fail 3 or 4 times in a row)?

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2013, 08:09
At the FG client database level, Preload = Shared. The only difference between Preload and Shared is that Sharing will force the window open while Preload will only share the database entry without forcing a window open. Either way, the record will be visible in the Player Images & Maps list. If you are using v3.0, you can make the images public, which means that they will be loaded on initial synch with the GM host.

The networking code for FG is getting quite old, and is not the most efficient. I'm aware of this, but changing out the networking stack is a BIG change. Currently, the GM host sends database/desktop updates via a custom packet-based protocol that is passed to the TCP/IP stack. Any assets (images, files, etc.) are requested from the GM host via an embedded HTTP client/server system.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2013, 09:38
Updates

[Core+] Library will now use the categoryname data field, if available, for the category headers. (as in previous versions)
[Core+] Token highlighting when tokens downscaled has been removed.
[Core+] Centering of downscaled images in the token bag has been improved.
[CnC] Backward compatibility for all previous module exports required rewrite of NPC records, which means that all CnC campaigns will need to be re-migrated from the original versions.
[CnC] If a weapon is added to PC inventory, weapon entries will also be added to the combat tab.
[CnC] Flat-footed AC added back to PC sheet, party sheet and combat tracker. Labeled as -Dex or (No Dex).
Token bag scrollbar not updating when filter value deleted. Fixed.
[CnC] SR item field not adding to SR total. Fixed.
[CnC] Missing radial menu options on party sheet XP tab. Fixed.
[CnC] Script error when using effect targeting. Fixed.
[CnC] Player's handbook module weapon range data for melee weapons was incorrect. Fixed.
[CnC] Castellan's Arms and Armor image links were broken. Fixed.

JPG

bzjeurd
September 6th, 2013, 22:54
Hello moon_wizard,

I hope you will not too often rewrite the CoreRPG actionsmanager script... the last upgrade kill all the action scripts I wrote for my custom ruleset.

With this new way of managing actions, I found some strange (or maybe I missed something somewhere...) dice (dragdata) results:

When I use the roll function (inside the ActionsManager script) and the debug console to return the rThrow variable, it shows:

{ s'shortcuts' = { #1 = { } }, s'type' = s'dice', s'description' = s'Test - Chance :', s'slots' = { #1 = { s'number' = #0, s'dice' = { #1 = s'd10' }, s'metadata' = { s'aDice' = { #1 = s'd10' }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sRollType' = s'chance', s'sType' = s'dice', s'sDesc' = s'Test - Chance :', s'nModChance' = #4 } } } }

Then the Comm.throwDice(rThrow ) is called... and the dice result is processed through the onDiceLanded function.
Inside the onDiceLanded function there is a variable called rRolls retrieved by the decodeActionFromDrag(draginfo, true) function. Displaying the rRolls content shows:

{ #1 = { s'aDice' = { }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sType' = s'dice', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'sDesc' = s'Test - Chance :' }, #2 = { s'aDice' = { #1 = { s'result' = #1, s'type' = s'd10' } }, s'nMod' = #0, s'sRollType' = s'chance', s'sType' = s'dice', s'bSecret' = bFALSE, s'sDesc' = s'Test - Chance :', s'nModChance' = s'4' } }

Where does the first array entry come from?
In fact, it is not processed within the further display results functions as it contains no aDice array values.

Bz.

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2013, 23:45
bzjeurd,

First off, thanks for the report.

The reason that v3.0 is still in "alpha" release is because I still need to sound out the CoreRPG layer, and be able to make changes without lugging around a bunch of backward compatibility issues. Backward compatibility issues are one of the biggest time sinks that I have as a developer, and pre-release testing lets me make faster changes without having to worry about backward compatibility for new features. That said, my goal is to have the CoreRPG layer to the point where I feel comfortable moving it to "beta" release, and getting more testers in live games. At that point, the CoreRPG layer interfaces should stay fairly consistent, unless something major comes up during beta testing.

Let me take a look at what you reported, because it may be an issue related to the changes I made to support more complex roll structures being passed to the throwDice function. I'll let you know shortly.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2013, 00:00
Update

When using the new structure to make a call to throwDice, an extra slot was added to the dragdata object in slot 1. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
September 13th, 2013, 07:23
Update

Added Numenera community ruleset to standard download for test version
[Core+] Changed string/number frames to provide more horizontal space within fields to prevent text up against left frame edge.
[CoC] Character selection window no longer resizable, since graphics do not support tiling.
[CnC] Updated players handbook (5th printing)
[CnC] Draggable class and racial abilities and skills
[CnC] Skill and ability lists merged on character sheet abilities tab
[CnC] Added attribute, level bonus option and siege roll field to each skill/ability. If attribute set in detail record, then these fields will appear automatically.
Voting in chat window not accepting player vote clicks. Fixed.
When dragging image which has been rotated, the drag image displays the unrotated image. Fixed.
[Core+] Script error if name or location has keyboard focus when reloading ruleset or closing FG. Fixed.
[Core+] When using Reset Effects combat tracker menu option, each entry was left with 2 blank effects. Fixed.
[Core+] Script error when attempting to use left and right cursor at edge of name or location fields in character inventory. Fixed.
[3.5E/4E/CnC] Initiative not being cleared when using the combat tracker reset initiative menu option. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script errors when opening character mini sheet actions tab. Fixed.
[3.5E] Party sheet main tab ability labels incorrect. Fixed.
[3.5E] Party sheet skill tab labels incorrect. Fixed.
[PFRPG] Party sheet skill tab labels incorrect. Fixed.
[4E] Script errors when opening character mini sheet powers tab. Fixed.
[4E] Combat tracker speed field not displaying correctly. Fixed.
[CnC] Incorrect labels on party sheet XP tab quest list. Fixed.
[CnC] Token linked to combat tracker not displaying correct tooltip for name and health status. Fixed.
[CnC] Characters that used spontaneous spell casting could not check off spells. Fixed.
[CnC] Extra fields removed that were not relevant to this game system.
[CnC] Temporary ability bonus modifiers applied via the mouse wheel were not being added to total bonus. Fixed.
[DEV] buttoncontrol.setColor was reading color string values in reverse. Fixed.

JPG

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2013, 00:36
Updates

[CnC] Missing scrollbars in character ability and party quest records. Fixed.
[CnC] When dragging/linking monster module creatures from individual record header, they were not being added to combat tracker correctly. Fixed.
[CnC] Move and special attacks for monster module creatures was not being transferred to combat tracker entry. Fixed.
[CnC] When dropping monster module creatures on campaign NPC list, they were not being copied correctly. Fixed.
[CnC] Clean up of PHB and Arms and Armor modules.
[DEV] Generalized campaign list link drop handling in CoreRPG ruleset. Will affect rulesets built on CoreRPG, check ct.lua and manager_combat2.lua if you replace them.

JPG

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2013, 02:27
Ok.. I think you got almost everything that was reported by my users in the last game.

A few small ones:

Launching or logging into a 3.5e game we all (players and GM) get:
Ruleset Warning: Font FGF initialization failed. Name (reference-h). File (graphics/graphics_fonts.xml)

No Error code errors:
Some players say they can't click on their circle in vote, others say that have to just keep clicking till it takes it.
Some players say click to target (on map) is not working for them.
Those same players say dragging attacks to the token on map doesn't work for them.
Loading large images (maps) causes all of Fantasy Grounds to lockup for a moment for all users, until the map fully loads GM side.
The map lockup can cause disconnection issues if the load time is more than a few seconds.
When player rolls on dice tower, GM only gets roll result in text, it doesn't pull all the descriptive text for attack type etc through. (I don't know for sure that this error actually exists, the player in question is a bit 'flighty' at times.)

There are some User Interface issues I ran into, but I will hold all of those till I can at least get screen shots to help demonstrate what I am talking about.
Hope this list helps, and sorry if some of it is confusing, my players get very confusing from time to time.

All of this was Thursday night BEFORE the patch.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2013, 03:39
unerwünscht,

Got it. Thanks for the report.

* I'm pretty sure that the font item is an issue with the Wood and Dungeon themes.
* Voting should be fixed in the most recent version.
* I might need to get a copy of the campaign to review the large image loading. When you say large, how large are we talking? (pixel dimensions and file size)
* On the player targeting, I could use some steps to recreate what they are seeing. Are they CTRL-clicking when they are setting targets? Are they selecting tokens before setting targets with CTRL-click? Are they using the targeting "mode" button to select targets? (If no selection, it should default to active character token.)
* Which type of attack did not work when dragging to the map? (mini or full character sheet, which tab, which field) Note: Dragging rolls to tokens overrides the token targets, just in case that was unclear.
* Tower rolls should roll on the GM side, and the players should only see the shadow dice. Which attack are they rolling on the dice tower? (Mini or full character sheet, which tab, which field)

Regards,
JPG

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2013, 05:39
When I say large image, the image in question is 5051x6551 .jpg and weighs in at 9.76 MB.
However the size of the image only worsens the actual issue, it will happen with all images, just takes longer to load large ones and therefor is more noticeable. Fantasy Grounds simply locks up GM side while it is loading images, and will do nothing else until the image has loaded, and while it is locked up GM side, it won't let players do much of anything.

And the mini sheet was throwing errors at the point in time of our game, so everything was being pulled from the full sheet. They were dragging attacks from the actions tab in all cases.

As far as click targeting goes I have no idea how they were doing it, I have honestly never been able to get click targeting to work for myself. I have always used the drag attack to token method. When I told the players they could do it this way, I had two players tell me that it was not working for them. Nothing at all showed up GM side, but they say they were dragging actions to the token they wanted to attack.

I guess a good question at this point would be, is it possible to add targeting options to the right click circular menu? So players could right click a token and set as target or cancel target, I think this would make the targeting system a little more intuitive, and user friendly.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2013, 06:34
Large Images
Hmm, not sure if I'm going to be able to fix up the image loading issue for this release. It most likely requires a significant change to the client code, or possibly a new image library. We're using a third-party image processing library and we're single-threaded, so there is no way to insert network/UI checks without a complete re-architect scenario.

Mini Sheet
It looks like I hit the mini sheet errors in the last update.

Targeting
It would be great to get step-by-step information on the targeting to see if it's a use case issue or a technical issue. CTRL-click is the "quick targeting" method, while the toolbar offers selection and targeting "modes" (similar to mask or drawing modes, i.e. different cursor, etc.) Right click targeting wouldn't be any different than CTRL-click in terms of how it worked, so I'm thinking there is a different issue to solve (user training/tutorial or technical).

Regards,
JPG

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2013, 06:48
It is going to be a "pebkac" issue, as I didn't know they needed to CTRL+Click so I doubt they did, but I will tell them they can do that instead.

Moon Wizard
September 14th, 2013, 07:15
I wouldn't say that. I changed the behavior on the client from a left click to CTRL-click for targeting, so there's going to be training issue. It was a byproduct of adding token "selection" and "targeting" states to support group movement and token-to-token targeting.

Cheers,
JPG

Blacky
September 14th, 2013, 12:08
However the size of the image only worsens the actual issue, it will happen with all images, just takes longer to load large ones and therefor is more noticeable. Fantasy Grounds simply locks up GM side while it is loading images, and will do nothing else until the image has loaded, and while it is locked up GM side, it won't let players do much of anything.
Agreed, I've seen this in the 2.x branch. There's kind of a hog, a hiccup when loading images (even ones fully cached); and it increases with the image size (pixel size more than bit size I think, but that's just a feeling). I and every player feel it with 3282×3238/1.6MB or sometimes even with 2828×2598/0.3MB.

JohnD
September 14th, 2013, 13:24
Agreed, I've seen this in the 2.x branch. There's kind of a hog, a hiccup when loading images (even ones fully cached); and it increases with the image size (pixel size more than bit size I think, but that's just a feeling). I and every player feel it with 3282×3238/1.6MB or sometimes even with 2828×2598/0.3MB.

Agreed... I started using some hefty map files in a game and there definitely is a pause on the DM side for larger files.

Blacky
September 14th, 2013, 14:37
Player's side too. A fully cached image (like one every player opened the week before) opened by the GM, there's a few seconds delay to have it opened for each players. Some have it before others, and so on.

S Ferguson
September 14th, 2013, 15:54
Player's side too. A fully cached image (like one every player opened the week before) opened by the GM, there's a few seconds delay to have it opened for each players. Some have it before others, and so on.

Do you find it affects some systems more than others?

Blacky
September 14th, 2013, 16:08
Nope, I never could do a serious debugging. Too many variables, and too few machines at my fingers. It's quite obvious something is wrong when an already cached image appears several seconds later for some but not all, and not always the same guys, but my players are too technologically disabled to report more than this.

But there's no real need, as Moon said its an old library, with issues. It's mainly a software issue, just bad code. I'm guessing at some point in the 3.x branch this will be addressed. After the network library, and after some long standing bugs and features from the IdeaInformer thingie (both Unicode & Dice features made it to the first page quite recently, yes! And ttf/otf with basic & advanced features made it to the second page, probably the fasted growing item on the list, even more yea!). Just a guess.

S Ferguson
September 14th, 2013, 16:20
Nope, I never could do a serious debugging. Too many variables, and too few machines at my fingers. It's quite obvious something is wrong when an already cached image appears several seconds later for some but not all, and not always the same guys, but my players are too technologically disabled to report more than this.

But there's no real need, as Moon said its an old library, with issues. It's mainly a software issue, just bad code. I'm guessing at some point in the 3.x branch this will be addressed. After the network library, and after some long standing bugs and features from the IdeaInformer thingie (both Unicode & Dice features made it to the first page quite recently, yes! And ttf/otf with basic & advanced features made it to the second page, probably the fasted growing item on the list, even more yea!). Just a guess.

Actually I was referring to game systems. Not computer systems (I *really* have to learn to clarify myself). I've never experienced much of a lag at all, either as a player or a GM. Moot point, I guess. You've just gotta love how things flip up the board. The 3.0 line ought to be an interesting turning point in the software.

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2013, 17:43
Actually I was referring to game systems. Not computer systems (I *really* have to learn to clarify myself). I've never experienced much of a lag at all, either as a player or a GM. Moot point, I guess. You've just gotta love how things flip up the board. The 3.0 line ought to be an interesting turning point in the software.

In the past it has effected all rulesets equally, with FG3 I have only tested Core and 3.5E and still it effects them equally (but that is expected since they are the same core now). What I have noticed is that the issue has gotten worse with FG3. In the past my load lag could typically be measured in milliseconds, now it can be measured in full blown seconds, and in many cases quite a few of them, I have had images take as long as 15 or 16 seconds to load.

S Ferguson
September 14th, 2013, 21:59
In the past it has effected all rulesets equally, with FG3 I have only tested Core and 3.5E and still it effects them equally (but that is expected since they are the same core now). What I have noticed is that the issue has gotten worse with FG3. In the past my load lag could typically be measured in milliseconds, now it can be measured in full blown seconds, and in many cases quite a few of them, I have had images take as long as 15 or 16 seconds to load.

I guess my high-band networking was worth the expense. I'm getting millisecond delays, not full blown second delays, but mind you I also optimize my images where applicable, and keep combat and other maps to a minimum. It seems okay with CoC and CnC which are also based off the Core, and haven't had any complaints. I'll poll next time we play with "larger" images and see if I get a lag there. FG3 is a strange creature.

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2013, 22:08
If you would like an example so you can notice it happening, get someone to start typing in chat, and open an image while they are typing. I have a very high speed internet connection, and one player on the same network, so networking speed is not the issue. It could be an issue with limited memory or CPU availability, I have Fantasy Grounds sectioned off in 4 gig of memory, and on a dual core 3.2 ghz processor. I could take it to my work machine on Tuesday and see what happens on a full server.

S Ferguson
September 14th, 2013, 22:52
If you would like an example so you can notice it happening, get someone to start typing in chat, and open an image while they are typing. I have a very high speed internet connection, and one player on the same network, so networking speed is not the issue. It could be an issue with limited memory or CPU availability, I have Fantasy Grounds sectioned off in 4 gig of memory, and on a dual core 3.2 ghz processor. I could take it to my work machine on Tuesday and see what happens on a full server.

This almost sounds like a packeting problem then, given lag over a LAN. I'll give it a shot next game and check it out. My players don't usually type (except to whisper) maybe that's why it hasn't been an issue.

Blacky
September 14th, 2013, 23:41
If you would like an example so you can notice it happening, get someone to start typing in chat, and open an image while they are typing.
Yup, good test.

I have a very high speed internet connection, and one player on the same network, so networking speed is not the issue. It could be an issue with limited memory or CPU availability, I have Fantasy Grounds sectioned off in 4 gig of memory, and on a dual core 3.2 ghz processor. I could take it to my work machine on Tuesday and see what happens on a full server.
Honestly, seems more like a code issue. To me, a good analogy is WinXP image viewer. Try to open and zoom in and scroll in a big image even under a double [email protected] and 40MB cache3, it's going to be slow. However try, I don't now, like ACDSee under a budget celeron for the same image, you won't have any issues. Throwing more hardware at it won't change a lot, and Fantasy Ground user can't be asked to have big hardware, it's a very good software to run on a netbook or small machine.

I just tested on CoreRPG, latest alpha, opening a 3282×[email protected] map (which isn't really big at all) takes locally (not connected to anything or anyone) around 3 seconds and freeze FG while it do so.

By the way, I can't drag&drop images anymore. New issue, new bug?

Moon Wizard
September 18th, 2013, 00:47
For the large image issue reported, I am getting similar results on both v2.9.4 and v3.0. For a 10MB image (3Kx5K), I am getting a ~1.5s load time (on host and when cached on client) and ~25s load time (when not cached on client). While this is not optimal, it is similar to v2.9.4.

After reviewing the code, I've determined that the long delay is in the networking library. Also, the networking queue handler does not break for UI events, partly due to being single-threaded. Since a networking library replacement requires a large overhaul and is sort of a known issue, I'm not going to be able to address for v3.0.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 18th, 2013, 20:43
Getting closer to moving to beta stage. Just want to review and possibly clean up targeting and toolbars.

Updates

Shortcut links can be dropped on the chat window, and that record will be made public.
Sharing windows will vary based on ruleset compatibility version (v3.0 = set to public; v2.9.x or earlier = share with connected users)
[Core+] Tables now support shortcut links. If a link is included with a roll, a shortcut link will be available in the chat window.
[Core+] Table roll visibility option not displayed when Show GM Rolls option set to off.
[3.5E/4E/CnC] Party sheet roll visibility option not displayed when Show GM Rolls option set to off.
Windows deleted on host would sometimes not delete on client correctly. Fixed.
[Core+] Dungeon/Wood themes font error (reference-h). Fixed.
[Core+] Tower icon missing from results of dice tower rolls on the GM screen. Fixed.
[Core+] Combat tracker turn advancement incorrect in some scenarios. Fixed.
[Core+] Unable to drop image files on the campaign image list. Fixed.
[Core+] GM only visibility flag ignored in campaign modifier and effect lists. Fixed.
[CnC] BtH not being set for monsters added to the combat tracker. Fixed.
[Cnc] Size and reach of Large creatures incorrectly set to 2, instead of 10. Fixed.
[Numenera] Script error when using parcel window. Fixed.
[DEV] Lots of new warning messages for missing frames, fonts and icons. Make sure to use the -c command line option to open the console on FG launch to see them all.
[DEV] Shortcuts can be included with a chat window message. Any shortcuts included will be automatically shared with target of message.
[DEV] chatwindow: Add onDiceTotal event, which received a message structure and expects true/false/nil as first return value, and number as second return value if first is true.
[DEV] chatwindow: Add type field to message structure

JPG

Blacky
September 18th, 2013, 21:36
[Core+] Tables now support shortcut links. If a link is included with a roll, a shortcut link will be available in the chat window.

The link is display before anything in the chat window. Might be more clear and logical to have first the [TABLE] … displayed, then the links.

Blacky
September 18th, 2013, 21:47
CoreRPG: maybe it's me, but when I preload an image I can't get the web icon to appear (a player is connected).

And I've got an image bug: the first image is dropped in FG then displayed, with this result.

Andraax
September 18th, 2013, 21:58
I played around with the party sheet in CnC some. I got the following messages:

Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find font (msgfont)
Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find icon (xp)

Probably should be in Core.

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2013, 02:38
That's what I get for adding more warning messages for developers. ;)

JPG

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2013, 02:54
Blacky,

It looks like the transparent background is not handled for images/maps, and it happens with all previous versions. If you give it a white background, it appears fine. I'll put it on the list to look at when I replace the graphics library.

Regards,
JPG

Blacky
September 19th, 2013, 03:13
Noted, thanks.

Dakadin
September 19th, 2013, 06:08
That's what I get for adding more warning messages for developers. ;)

I am glad you did. It has made it easier to track down things. :)

Andraax
September 19th, 2013, 06:33
Got possibly another issue - I made an extension that changed a few icons and moved some stuff around on the screen. Works great - for the GM. However, the players only see the stuff from the original ruleset, the extension isn't working for them. No error message, just doesn't work. Some switch I have to throw?

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2013, 17:08
No, shouldn't need to do anything other than specify the extension for the campaign. The themes seem to work okay, so probably something related to new merging code, I would guess.

Can you shoot me copy of extension with idea of what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2013, 18:00
Got possibly another issue - I made an extension that changed a few icons and moved some stuff around on the screen. Works great - for the GM. However, the players only see the stuff from the original ruleset, the extension isn't working for them. No error message, just doesn't work. Some switch I have to throw?
I got this with the 3.5e languages extension when I had a "/" character in the extension name within the extension.xml file - this seemed to prevent FG from downloading the extension .dat file to the player's cache - it worked fine if the player had the extension in their \extension folder. If you have any non-alphanumeric characters in the extension filename or name in the xml try removing them.

Moon Wizard
September 22nd, 2013, 20:17
This might actually be related to another issue I found recently during testing with file names containing certain accented characters. Think it's an encoding issue. Hopefully, since those are typically pretty easy to address.

Regards,
JPG

Midhir
September 22nd, 2013, 22:20
Not sure if this a bug or a feature but effects applied by a character through a spell, both to a target and to themselves (PFRPG rule set) are applied as GM visible only and then have to be set to VSBL by the GM in Combat Tracker for the Players to be able to see them.

Moon Wizard
September 23rd, 2013, 00:50
Trenloe,
Are you seeing having the slash problem with your extension under v3.0? If so, can you send the extension and steps to see the issue?

Midhir,
Thanks for the report. I'll look into it.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
September 23rd, 2013, 01:18
Trenloe,
Are you seeing having the slash problem with your extension under v3.0? If so, can you send the extension and steps to see the issue?
Looks OK in 3.0. The problem in 2.9 was the extension name in extension.xml was "<name>3.5E/Pathfinder RPG Languages</name>". I've tried the same in 3.0 and it works fine. :-)

JohnD
September 24th, 2013, 00:55
I took a campaign and module in the C&C ruleset that was made in 2.9.4 using the 2.081 extension and opened it in the 3.0 version.

Tokens assigned to NPCs in the module were "lost" and the unique NPCs were locked and I am unable to unlock to apply tokens. I can drag tokens to NPCs in the CT but can't add them to already created identities.

Also note that exporting a module indicates it was successful but the module doesn't actually show up in the Modules folder.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2013, 02:48
The locked records is expected behavior, as it's part of allowing GM to share any module that is part of v3.0.

Could you send me a copy of the module that is missing tokens? ([email protected])

Also, what type of records where you exporting when the module creation did not work?

Thanks

JohnD
September 24th, 2013, 03:37
File sent. In the old version the assigned tokens stay with the identities after export.

I would question the approach of loosing the assigned tokens after exporting and not being able to re-apply them outside of after the identities are added to the CT - that seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

On second glance, the export worked but it put the resulting module on my desktop for some reason.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2013, 05:10
The way it should work is that copies of any tokens assigned to exported records are also exported.

Once a module is built, it becomes read only. Basically, all modules are treated like the current client module type (I.e. Read only, and shareable by GM to anybody)

I just want to make sure modules are building and reading correctly, including associated tokens.

Thanks,
GM