PDA

View Full Version : Modifying skill variables

Visvalor
July 24th, 2013, 06:31
In the current 3.5 ruleset there are only 2 places to put modifiers. The first ranks, the second misc. On our custom character sheets we've got Ranks, Racial, Feats, Misc, and Synergy. That way it's easier to keep track of where things come from. Is there anyway to modify manager_action_skills.lua or character_skills.lua to provide 2 things;

First I'd like things to be in boxes, not lines _____ <-- I don't really like the way that looks.

Secondly I'd like there to be more variables, like 5-6 boxes before coming to the ending variable.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 07:33
You'd have to write an extension to modify the skill item data structure and the skill item page. One of the challenges that you will have is fitting all the data onto a single skill tab, as it seems crowded already.

Alternately, you could add to the wish list. I would guess, however, that it probably won't be one of the more popular wish list items, but I could be wrong.

Regards,
JPG

Visvalor
July 24th, 2013, 18:47
Since our game is IRL instead of online I've already expanded the charsheet from 500 pixels to 800 and therefore most of the windows inside. If you can point me in the right direction of the skill item data structure that'd be appreciated. The extra 300 pixels is more than enough room for 4 more number fields.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 22:49
There are 2 ways you can go:

* Make a copy of the ruleset and modify it to creates a custom version.
You can make a copy of the 3.5E.pak file, rename it to 3.5E.pak.zip, then extract to the files inside to the FG data folder under the subfolder rulesets/3.5E/. Then, you can modify the XML and Lua files inside. This will override any updates coming during updates, but will not get any of the new features with updates.

* Or you can create an extension.
You create a folder under the FG data folder and extensions/ subfolder. (Such as 3.5E-skills-mod). Then you create an extension.xml file in that folder, and begin defining FG objects in that file. Any objects and graphics defined in the extension will be overridden by the extension version. This approach will work with new versions of the ruleset as long as the updates do not change the objects you are overriding in the extension. Usually, extensions need to be updated with major ruleset revisions.

The file in the 3.5E ruleset for the character sheet skills tab is charsheet/charsheet_skills.xml, I believe.

Regards,
JPG

Visvalor
July 24th, 2013, 23:23
I've been dissecting the 3.5 xml and lua, but I figured it was a done deal. 3.5 shouldn't be introducing any new rules considering they stopped developing it for 4e back in 2007 or 2008. What else do you guys plan to do to the 3.5 ruleset :P?

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2013, 23:33
It's a never-ending battle to add new features that make sense, either for one game system or for all game systems. ;)

3.5E is actually getting a major rewrite for v3.0 to take advantage of the layered rulesets subsystem and allow all our rulesets to be updated more regularly.

Regards,
JPG

Visvalor
July 25th, 2013, 17:32
Ok got it done, that was actually super easy. Now I just have one more question.... what is the "shortcut" little square box at the right side of the Total box for?

Moon Wizard
July 25th, 2013, 21:01
It's technically just a link field that can be set to any link. The original idea was that you could drop a link from the basic rules module with the skill description link on it.

Regards,
JPG