PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

Fizban
July 24th, 2013, 00:52
Ok so this post is to introduce myself to the community, exlain why I have come here, what I am looking for, and a little about me.

So I bought this licence a while back when one of my usual RP group members moved away, it was a nice and shiny way to keep him in the game with maps and dice. He stopped playing with us when that game finished and started a group of his own (though he didn't abandon us as we still stay in touch lol). I uninstalled FG2 and left it at that.
Now I have left my usual RP group in order to focus my efforts elsewhere, but I still want to get my RP fix so I have dusted off the ol' FG2 licence and reinstalled. I intend to either join a game or host a game depending on what the community wants from me, I am perfectly comfortable in either role.

Games I have run:

As most of the players I played with are very comfortable in fantasy settings, I leaned towards running games in other settings. I enjoy running sci-fi games and had great fun running several Champions. I have run D&D games (3.0/3.5/3.p/4e) and I have created my own campaign setting in which to run these. I have run a few games in the Forgotten Realms and the Dragonlance settings but the last 4 D&D games I have run have all been in my own setting. I have run several Star Wars games using the D20 ruleset. I have used the Cortex System to run a Serenity game and two other sci-fi games in a setting of my own creation. I have run 3 Champions games in an alternate version of the standard Champions world. I have run 1 Starship Troopers game using the D20 system. I have also run annual fun games as halloween and christmas specials, both very themed, very meta, and usually very drunk lol.

My playing style:

As a player I spend more time focusing on character development and roleplaying than power playing. I am quite happy to spend a session in nothing but roleplaying although I take character creation and combat seriously. I will build the best character I can within the character concept, but the character concept will always take priority over that awesome feat or a useful skill.

My GM'ing style:

I enjoy cinematic games, encounters that flow preferably without interruption. As a result I tend to play fast and loose with the rules. Many a time I have granted a player extra actions in order to let them do something incredibly cool, or when a character has a really good idea I am happy to make what is obviously a very difficult role (as per the DC chart) suddenly quite attainable. Given the source material available for most games I also let my players have free reign of the game, I nod in the direction of their next quest but I also let them get on with it.
I remember one occasion in a sci-fi game, one of the players followed a subtle hint (nodding at a possible future campaign idea) and followed it through to the end, finding a totally new and ingenious way of completing their current mission.
My games also tend to have adult themes, they are never lewd or dirty but they do contain grit and moral ambiguity that people who don't have mature attitudes can have trouble dealing with. My games have plenty of grey areas. I am quite happy to let my party fail in their mission and have it affect the game as a whole. I have even followed it to the point where entire empires have fallen, speicies have died out, continents have been torn usunder, and worlds have burned. I have had to re-evaluate both my fantasy and sci-fi settings because of a series of mistakes players have made which have had larger implications. I have no problem if my players fail and I am happy to let them watch as the world they are in breaks around them.
I like to protect my characters to a certain extent. Unless I otherwise specify or it is blatently obvious my encounters are challenging but not lethal. I will not throw out death effects if my players can't resist them. If a player goes below 0 hit points I usually let them lie prone until the end of the encounter where they can be safely revived, however if they make a silly mistake or take an absurd risk I will happily let them die.
When my usual group works out the next GM order and games are discussed and suggetsed, I always let the players decide what game they want to play in. Given that I like to write down ideas and I sometimes nerd out on something and think 'That would make a great RP' I always have a folder with dozens of preliminary RP ideas jotted down.

As for entering the community, I will wait and watch the forums for a couple of weeks to figure out whether I will become a player or a GM. If anyone has any offers or ideas feel free to PM me.

Nickademus
July 24th, 2013, 02:05
Welcome.

Time zone and day/time you like to play or run?

Valarian
July 24th, 2013, 08:27
Welcome to the community. The people here are a friendly and supportive bunch and I'm sure that you'll find games to run or play in. As mentioned above, a timezone and availability indication are useful. The community is global, so even an awkward time can fit for some.

Fizban
July 24th, 2013, 09:44
Ok cool. I'm in the UK and looking at evening and night games. Starting between 8pm and 11pm.

levinth
July 24th, 2013, 10:35
I'm trying to get a few people together for a module game that will probably take a few sessions because it will be text only. I was aiming for Tuesday night BST. It sounds like your play style is quite similar to mine, although there will be a reasonable amount of combat, but I'm prepared to go with the flow of the players as to how much they want to roleplay. It might be a nice re-introduction to FG for you if you're free and interested?

Valarian
July 24th, 2013, 13:06
There's a Night's Black Agents game just getting going on a Tuesday evening. I'm playing in this one. The One Ring game on Sunday that I've been running is finishing up (having run over the last year). I will be starting up another game to run from September to December. This is likely to be FATE Core with the Babylon 5 setting. You'd be welcome in either game.

Fizban
July 24th, 2013, 15:51
Does that mean there is a Fate ruleset available for FG2? It is a good system and can rum my sci fi setting quite happily.

Valarian
July 24th, 2013, 16:34
The Dresden Files ruleset is the latest (see FGWiki or the Library page) - has character sheet, npc sheet and basic combat tracker, plus the dice rolling. I haven't yet got around to a Fate Core sheet, but the Dresden Files one works well enough for most Fate games (used it for Spirit of the Century, Starblazer, Legends of Anglerre, Dresden Files and Bulldogs!), as long as you're not too picky what the stress tracks are called.

Fizban
July 25th, 2013, 01:15
Sounds fun, let me get up to speed on the Fate system and I'll be happy to join a B5 game. I'll also probably try levinth's game too. Thanks

bennis1980
July 25th, 2013, 06:15
You are very welcome to the FG community. It's nice to see another GMT+~0 join us.

levinth
July 25th, 2013, 07:30
The full details for the pathfinder module I'm running are here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19147-Crypt-of-the-EverflameIf you're interested, PM me with you email address and I'll send you some more details :)