PDA

View Full Version : Applying feats (point blank shot, rapid shot) to Weapons in Action tab

Lord Kavos
July 20th, 2013, 16:28
Hi all,

I'm new to FG, playing around & creating a few characters to better understand things.

Wondering if there was any particular way to add feat effects to weapon attacks on the actions tab.

I.e. i'm creating a lvl 1 Inquisitor using a longbow, who has point black shot & rapid shot.

How do I incorporate these feats into the actions? Currently I have just selected 2 attacks for rapid shot, and changed the attack details to -2 for the first attack, +3 for the second so the 2 attacks show the right bonus.

Is there a better way of applying these type of feats?

Cheers.

Gwaihir Scout
July 20th, 2013, 16:52
This can quickly spiral out of control as you add more feats, as you would have to create a weapon for every combination of feats you want to use at any particular time.

What my players do is create a new spell class section, and create "spells" with effects that give what they want. Then when they use a feat, they just apply the effects to themselves. You can code in your judgements this way, too.

Examples:
PBS; ATK: 1; DMG: 1
Rapid Shot; ATK: -2
Deadly Aim; ATK: -1; DMG: 2
Favored Enemy Human; ATK: 2; DMG: 2
Charging; ATK: 2; AC: -2

If you need help making these, it's all in the right-click menu. Positioning the mouse is important if you want to add an effect to a "spell." The steps are: Create spell class; Expand the class by clicking on the magnifying glass on the right side; put a number under "0;" Create spell; Add spell action -> Effect (looks like a humanoid).

If you check the library section of this site, there's an explanation for how to code effects in the user guide.

Callum
July 20th, 2013, 18:09
I agree with Gwaihir Scout - adding these into the Actions tab as pseudo-spells is the best way to implement them. I'd add a bit more to some of his examples:

Point-Blank Shot; ATK: 1 ranged; DMG: 1 ranged

Of course, I'm sure the player would only apply the effect when making ranged attacks, but this has a little extra safety built in (in case they forget to remove the effect, for example).

There's no way to add the extra attack gained from rapid shot this way, however. You can either add a separate "rapid shot" version of your favoured weapon with an additional attack, or simply click on the first attack again after rolling a full attack.

Gwaihir Scout
July 20th, 2013, 18:57
Yes, forgot to mention that for Rapid Shot.

You should also set the durations to 1 round, or click on the little icons on the left to set it to ROLL so they disappear after one attack or damage roll, depending on the effect. Charging could be set up so that the ATK: 2 bonus disappears after your next attack roll, with the AC: -2 a separate effect that has a duration of 1 round.

That was about as clear as mud, but it's hard to explain with words. Just poke around and experiment.

gmkieran
July 22nd, 2013, 16:59
Thanks for the info, folks! I've been creating weapons entries and, yes, it spirals out of control quickly! Will definitely look into setting up effects instead.

Cheers!
GMK

Malkavian_Andi
July 22nd, 2013, 17:28
There's one additional thing I always do when creating that kind of effects.
On the left of the effect's text line, there's a little button labeled "target". If you click on that button, it changes to "self". That way, the effect will always be applied to yourself, no matter which token you have currently targeted.
It's just a little thing, but it makes applying large amounts of feats a bit quicker, since you don't have to change your target in between.

lachancery
July 22nd, 2013, 18:30
Indeed, between the duration and toggling the self and rolls icons, you can really control how you do your actions with effects. To be efficient during combat though, when you have many effect combinations, you can drag the button from the mini-sheet used to activate the effect to one of the Function key macro slot at the bottom. If you also drag your attack and damage rolls to function keys, you can quickly execute complex combination attacks with a few keys. Oh, and I rename each function (right-click) to help me remember what they each do.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2013, 17:24
To be efficient during combat though, when you have many effect combinations, you can drag the button from the mini-sheet used to activate the effect to one of the Function key macro slot at the bottom. If you also drag your attack and damage rolls to function keys, you can quickly execute complex combination attacks with a few keys.
lachancery mentions a good hint here - also, just using the actions tab of the mini-character sheet as a fast way of applying effects (one button click per effect) is a major efficiency improvement over scrolling through the action tab of the main character sheet, opening the "spell" entry and double-clicking on the effect/s.