PDA

View Full Version : Crypt of the Everflame

levinth
July 18th, 2013, 14:06
FG License: I have an Ultimate License so anyone can play.
Game System: Pathfinder

Time Zone: British Summer Time
Day of week and time: A weeknight TBC from 6-11pm BST
If new game, planned start date: In the coming fortnight, depending on how quickly I can find players.
Planned Frequency: Either weekly or fortnightly, depending on player’s availability
Term: Medium Term – We will play until the module is complete. This may take a few sessions, but as I will be starting a degree in late September, I hope to have it completed before then.

Text or Voice: TEXT ONLY – This may put some people off but I enjoy the written word for storytelling and value the extra thinking time it gives me when running a game!

Roleplay & Combat mix: I’ll aim for a 50/50 mix, but with some flexibility.
Number of Players in game & needed: The game has four slots, so I’m looking for four players.
Character starting level & equipment: First level, standard wealth for your class.
Character restrictions: I’m happy for any race/ class combination using those available on the Pathfinder RPG PRD online.

Details of your scenario: Almost 200 years ago, when the land that was to become Nirmathas was still a vassal of the empire of Cheliax, the northern reaches of the Fangwood were a wild and untamed place. The crusades that laid low the Whispering Tyrant to the north were a distant memory, and those who remained were intent upon keeping the orcs of Belkzen and the remaining undead from Ustalav in check. As a result, the great forest was full of danger, from marauding orcs to deadly predators, making it unsafe for merchants hoping to trade with the growing community of Skelt in the foothills of the Mindspin Mountains to the west.

Crypt of the Everflame is a predominantly dungeon based adventure in which four young adventurers continue their town’s tradition to explore the local crypt and retrieve a burning torch lit from the it’s everflame.

I’m looking for 4 players who are willing to make a short term commitment to the game. I enjoy playing with people who are relaxed about roleplaying, willing to enjoy the story, rather than look up every rule we can’t remember and generally play fair. I would prefer players who haven’t played/run this story before.

If you are interested, please post below or PM me and I will send you more details about character creation.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1044

Nickademus
July 18th, 2013, 21:04
I am interested, but live in a different time zone. Depending on the day, I could join. I'll sign up on the calendar in case you do choose to run on a day that I'm available (Monday or Tuesday, some Thursdays)

levinth
July 19th, 2013, 07:38
Hi Nickademus. Thanks for your interest. I will add you on the game calendar and PM you some more information.

Skellan
July 19th, 2013, 08:24
Hi

I'd love to play this as I haven't actually read/gm'd it yet and its a UK game :) The only times I can't make are Thursday evenings and alternate friday evenings. Hope I can make it. I will sign up on the calendar

levinth
July 19th, 2013, 08:38
Hi Skellan,

Sounds great! Looks like Monday or Tuesday nights will be best so far. Will PM you some more details :)

levinth
July 22nd, 2013, 16:52
Is anyone else interested in this? We need at least one more player.

Kodi
July 25th, 2013, 12:17
This sounds fun to me. I'm available at the specified time (Tue 6-11pm BST). I'm also free most other days at that time. I've already applied at the game calendar.

Thanks!

levinth
July 25th, 2013, 17:38
I've added you to the game calendar. :) If you could PM me your email address, I'll send you some more details! (I need your email address so I can send you an image file of your starting village). If I hear back from people before Sunday, I will try and get our first session going next Tuesday night.

Skellan
July 26th, 2013, 00:02
Tuesday works for me

levinth
July 27th, 2013, 07:24
So far it sounds like everyone is available on Tuesday evening, so we'll go with that. There are three players for definite: Skellan, Nickademus and Kodi and two more people have said they might be interested, I'm just waiting to hear back from them about timings etc. If they aren't free, I have a RL friend who prob will be and I can bully him into playing!

Kodi sent me and email with some questions about character creation, so I will answer them here for you all to see. If we're going to play next Tuesday I will need your characters by 12 noon Tuesday BST, preferably as an xml but if not (as I don't believe you can save characters without at least a lite license) pdf/ excel file will do and I'll copy them up manually. If you could let me know ASAP what class and race you want to play so I can make sure we have a good balance and okay it, that would be helpful and would mean people have a few days to work on characters. So far all I know about characters is:

Skellan - prefer cleric, will fill in gaps if needs be
Nickademus - a few characters to choose from, possibly a caster?
Kodi - possibly cleric or paladin, but flexible

So, the questions (and answers)...

Should the players know approximately how high in level the characters will become? If they go beyond level 1, what method will be used to determine future hit points?

The characters will gain in levels and experience, probably ending up around level 3, future HP will be determined by rolling a HD and adding CON mod and any other bonuses.

From what you said in your post, I’m assuming each character starts with the average amount of gold for their class.

Correct.

Do characters get any trait(s)?

Yes, you can take two traits according to the rules in the APG.

How are ability scores generated?

Standard Fantasy point buy (15 points)

Nickademus
July 27th, 2013, 12:19
I have five character builds to choose from. Will have to scale them down from the 20 pt. build of PFS but that's not a problem. Let me know which you guys want:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16459-Central-Character-Repository&p=153162&viewfull=1#post153162

I will need to get certain Paizo book sources approved for whichever one I play as they all have some feat or trait from some non-Core book.

Skellan
July 27th, 2013, 14:26
Awesome. Kodi, do you prefer Clericx or Paladin?

In either case I will get my character to you - probably tomorrow :)

Kodi
July 27th, 2013, 16:37
Awesome. Kodi, do you prefer Clericx or Paladin?
Since you prefer a cleric (as mentioned higher above), I'll go with a paladin unless a rogue is something we need but wouldn't otherwise have.

levinth
July 27th, 2013, 16:53
Nickademus, I think it's really up to you which of your characters you play. If your unsure, maybe go for the one that best complements a cleric and a paladin?

I'm happy for any reasonable range of classes amongst you and I'd rather leave it up to you guys to work out between yourselves what you play. When it comes to encounters I find there's usually plenty of ways to work through them, it just depends on what skills the party has as to how you go about it!

Skellan
July 27th, 2013, 17:36
I think we will need a 'front line' fighter type (Pally) and a healer as a must. Nickademus could play anything really I suppose :)

Kodi, if you like we could both follow the same religion? It may make an easier background introduction for our characters as we could already know each other due to our shared religious interests :) Up to you though :)

Kodi
July 27th, 2013, 18:06
Kodi, if you like we could both follow the same religion? It may make an easier background introduction for our characters as we could already know each other due to our shared religious interests :) Up to you though :)
That'd be fine. I might lean toward Shelyn as a deity; but any other deity that is LG, LN or NG in alignment would probably work too. My character might be from a fairly large city. He might be visiting the town of Kassen to try to improve a situation he's heard about there and/or just to spread the good word.

Nickademus
July 27th, 2013, 22:24
A paladin, lol. I should play Ryliss just to see who survives.

Seriously though, might use Hakeem as the rest aren't as paladin-friendly. Slaad might be an option depending on what kind of paladin you are. (Liking to burn things isn't technically evil.... I think.) Still, Slaad is a bit overpowered but at such a low level it might not be that much of a problem. Would make a good caster though. And he's quiet (so less typing for me). :D

Edit: Hakeem doesn't scale well to a 15 pt. build so I'll play Slaad. I'll email you the list of material I'll need approved to use him.

Kodi
July 27th, 2013, 22:59
You seem to have some stereotypes in mind about paladins, or perhaps more generally the lawful good alignment. Either way, I think there's a lot of room for creativity, personality, and variety in each of the nine alignments.

Nickademus
July 27th, 2013, 23:05
I don't have stereotypes in mind. I have the explicit Code of Conduct ability in mind. Certain things a paladin simply can't justify their way around (like watching a party member cast a spell with the evil descriptor).

I'd enjoy a flexible paladin. I wouldn't enjoy causing a player's character to lose their class abilities.

Kodi
July 27th, 2013, 23:18
Heheh, nothing your character does would cause another character to lose their class abilities. Worry not. What happens after the incident could be another matter; but as long as you're not murdering innocents, doubt any of the party members will be aghast.

Skellan
July 28th, 2013, 00:34
Shelyn sounds good Kodi.
I will pick one of the mentors and be a local though, but we could still easily know each other

levinth
July 28th, 2013, 09:06
Just been reminded by Nickademus that it would be great if you could send me an image for your character alongside your character sheet. :)

Tinculin
July 29th, 2013, 19:08
Hi there, if there is still a spot available, I should be able to make Tuesdays - I can roll a char a bit later and post it on here if that's okay? I'm thinking of playing a witch to help round the party out?

Nickademus
July 29th, 2013, 19:56
Witch would be good. I switched to a melee damage-dealer to better fit with the set of rulebooks being used (Slaad is a bit odd).

levinth
July 29th, 2013, 20:02
Hi Tinculin,

I'm afraid all the spots are full now, but thanks for your interest! If anyone drops out, I will get in touch directly and see if you're still interested. :)

levinth
July 30th, 2013, 16:59
The game is up now, log on details are on the game calendar. Feel free to log in when you're ready :)

levinth
August 4th, 2013, 16:24
I've set up an Obsidian Portal campaign so as to be able to keep a log of the adventure. If anyone is interested, feel free to visit (it's still pretty empty atm) and if you want to contribute just let me know your details and I'll invite you to the campaign. I realise as campaigns go, this is expected to be a very short one, I'm just using it mostly for the story logging!

Skellan
August 4th, 2013, 16:38
Cool. I am on obsidian as Skellan

levinth
August 4th, 2013, 16:49
Sent you an invite :)

levinth
August 7th, 2013, 08:22
First two sessions up in the adventure log (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/crypt_everflame/adventure-log), feel free to edit/ add to them