PDA

View Full Version : GM dice roll problems

mystara
July 17th, 2013, 08:09
Hi,

Since updating FG to the latest version, my players are suddenly able to see all of my attack rolls from NPCs. This seemed to be the case, regardless of the settings I applied.

I also had a somewhat weird situation in which, in some rolls, the players saw one dice value whereas I saw another. This looked quite bad :)

gmkieran
July 17th, 2013, 14:02
Hey, Mystara!

For the sake of clarity, what rule set are you running and do you have any extensions also in play?

When you say the players saw one value and you saw another, was that just on the die graphic or did FG actually report a different value in your chat window versus theirs? Note, what's on the graphic is irrelevant to what FG reports in the window (though it does usually try to sync the two); I've had instances where what the die rolls on screen and what comes up in chat have been different, with greater or lesser frequency, the entire time I've used FG.

What settings do you have set? They vary a little by rule set (I think - I play mostly 4e and 3.5, so I don't know all of them), but most have a Show GM Rolls option that should be set to No. There may be other settings, though, that affect it and an extension could also override that, if written incorrectly.

Cheers!
GMK

mystara
July 19th, 2013, 08:14
Hey, Mystara!

For the sake of clarity, what rule set are you running and do you have any extensions also in play?

When you say the players saw one value and you saw another, was that just on the die graphic or did FG actually report a different value in your chat window versus theirs? Note, what's on the graphic is irrelevant to what FG reports in the window (though it does usually try to sync the two); I've had instances where what the die rolls on screen and what comes up in chat have been different, with greater or lesser frequency, the entire time I've used FG.

What settings do you have set? They vary a little by rule set (I think - I play mostly 4e and 3.5, so I don't know all of them), but most have a Show GM Rolls option that should be set to No. There may be other settings, though, that affect it and an extension could also override that, if written incorrectly.

Cheers!
GMK

My ruleset is 4E, no extensions. I'm also running under crossover on mac if that makes any difference.

With regards to the values - I saw one value in chat, and my players saw another. It was as if I had rolled twice and my players had all seen one value and I had seen another. I haven't been able to replicate this on my LAN since the event, though.

Relevant settings:

Show GM Rolls: Off
Show Results to Client: PC
Show Roll Totals: On

It was as if the "Show GM Rolls" value was ignored.

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2013, 09:50
If you can get this to be reproducible or some more details on how it happened (what type of roll, doubleclick vs. drag, where it was dropped if dragged, PC or NPC or CT entry, ...), please let me know and I can take a look.

JPG

mystara
July 21st, 2013, 11:20
If you can get this to be reproducible or some more details on how it happened (what type of roll, doubleclick vs. drag, where it was dropped if dragged, PC or NPC or CT entry, ...), please let me know and I can take a look.

JPG

They were attack rolls. Most likely being dragged from an NPC sheet onto a PC token on a map, since that's how I almost always do it.

Curiously, if I dragged a dice into the chat box, or dropped it into the tower (when the appropriate setting was enabled), the dice roll remained hidden.

I believe, although I could be mistaken, that players could also see the results of whether their own attacks hit or not. This wasn't previously the case either.

Moon Wizard
July 21st, 2013, 19:00
There's an option called "Show results to client" in the Options screen. What is this set to for your campaign?

JPG

mystara
July 26th, 2013, 07:45
There's an option called "Show results to client" in the Options screen. What is this set to for your campaign?

JPG

Sorry this week has been completely mad.

I tried every option for that setting, without effect.