PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Limit

Kapkomm1
July 14th, 2013, 01:18
Hello! I'm new to the FG experience and am diligently trying to learn the ins and outs of the program. I have a whole slew of portraits for use with Hero Lab and copied some of these into the portraits directory. There are now 85 portraits in the directory. I tried starting up a 4e campaign (using it for testing purposes) and when I create a new character and select the portrait oval, FG pukes bits all over the place and Windows says it's not working and will now shut it down. I saw an earlier post about this problem (circa 2004). This hasn't been fixed yet? Is there a limit to the number of portraits?

Pete

Griogre
July 14th, 2013, 01:31
The is no limit to the number of portraits, the only limit is available RAM. I have 125 pics in portraits myself. The dimensions of the portrait display are 63x63 pixels. Most of my portraits are 8-10k. Check and see if you have any portraits with large file sizes. I once had a player who had a portrait that was like 5 megs and it really slowed things down and took forever to appear up in the top left.

If you don't think its the file size of the portraits, did you have any other programs open? The "pukes bits all over" could also be a sign of a DirectX problem. Makes sure you have the latest video drivers.

seycyrus
July 14th, 2013, 03:08
I had 800+ portraits in my portraits folder. I was able to open up FG as a DM and connect to it as a player using local connection. I have 8 GB of RAM.

I haven't tried letting a remote player connect to me as a DM yet tho.

Trenloe
July 14th, 2013, 03:43
I'm sure this is related to the size of the portraits being used.

FG definitely has issues when it starts to use up a lot of RAM - it is a 32-bit application so it is limited to 2GB RAM use on a 32-bit system. But, it does have a flag set (can't remember off the top of my head, I have commented on it in the forums before) that allows FG to use 4GB of RAM on 64-bit Windows. If you hit either of these limits, it won't matter how much RAM your PC has FG will probably crash.

If you're having issues like Kapkomm1 describes it may be worth opening Windows task manager and keeping an eye on the amount of total memory being used by Fantasy Grounds - if it is approaching the limits mentioned above you're going to have issues. Use this warning to work out what causes the spike in memory use and try to reduce the size of the offending item.