PDA

View Full Version : Subdual (nonlethal) damage is really beating me up... har har

codemephit
July 10th, 2013, 16:35
I couldn't resist the title.

The real issue is this: I have made an NPC for my (first ever) FG campaign. She has no equipment (and is not a monk) so any attacks she makes will be with her fists. As a medium character with a STR of 10, her unarmed attacks will do 1d3 nonlethal damage. (I know she could take a -4 to attack and then the damage becomes lethal, but that is not what I am trying to work out).

I set up her NPC sheet in a variety of different ways and ran many test combats against another (generic, no special defenses) NPC. The damage that my main NPC does against the test NPC seems to be very random as to normal damage or subdual damage. I cannot get her damage to be consistently applied as subdual.

I have tried all the following ways to set up her 'weapon' on her character sheet:
Unarmed +0 (1d3, Subdual)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, subdual)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, Subdual, Bludgeoning)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, subdual, Bludgeoning)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, Nonlethal)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, nonlethal)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, Nonlethal, Bludgeoning)
Unarmed +0 (1d3, nonlethal, Bludgeoning)

Sometimes the capitalization seems to make a difference, then other times it doesn't.
Could someone help me understand the correct way to write out the 'weapon' for an unarmed attack by a human with 10 STR? I would really be appreciative if you could also include the bludgeoning type as well as the nonlethal type.

Thank you,
-CodeMephit

codemephit
July 10th, 2013, 17:10
A little more testing, and a little more information:

I had actually written up her attack as follows:

Unarmed +0 (1d3/20, Nonlethal, Bludgeoning)

After a good bit more tinkering with syntax, I believe I have worked out the magic combination:

Unarmed +0 (1d3, Nonlethal, Bludgeoning)

You can't use the "/20" crit range by itself. If you change it to "/19-20" then everything works as it should. If the attack only has a crit range of "20" then you simply omit the "/20" part and all is good.

I hope that this may help someone else.

-CodeMephit

jedorian
July 10th, 2013, 20:43
You can also use DMGTYPE: nonlethal on the combat tracker and have the option of turning it on and off when (or if) you decide to take that penalty and deal lethal damage.