PDA

View Full Version : Artificer help

Zubla
July 8th, 2013, 07:30
lo,

We've been playing across the US on FG for a few years now. (Thanks)
We are playing 3.5 and have kind of sort of agreed not to all spend money
on a new sets of 4.0 or Pathfinder books.
We are continuing a campaign in a homemade world created in 1982 (so no Eberron).

So given that:
1. Has anybody added support to 3.5 for Artificers (like adding a field
for craft reserve psuedo-XP points)? It could of course be done on paper/email.
2. The 'net is drowning in FRPG sites. Has anyone found a stand alone
discussion on adding Artificer? That empowers it without needing Eberron?
The original stand alone in Dragon magazine doesn't seem to synch up for me.

I've made several hours long dives and nothing has really pinged for me,
so if you have any suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Grey Mage
July 9th, 2013, 20:36
2. The 'net is drowning in FRPG sites. Has anyone found a stand alone
discussion on adding Artificer? That empowers it without needing Eberron?
The original stand alone in Dragon magazine doesn't seem to synch up for me.

I've made several hours long dives and nothing has really pinged for me,
so if you have any suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Zubla,

I do not know if this is worth your consideration or not, but in my long running campaign, when the Eberron stuff started being released and players expressed an interest, I placed warforged (and artificers) in the Sea of Dust (World of Greyhawk) as time-stasised remnants from the Suel Empire.

This allowed players wishing to try them out to do so and also permitted me to control exactly which elements of Eberron 'popped' up...

Hope this helps,

GM

Mgrancey
July 9th, 2013, 21:39
1. No, I would suggest either putting it as a form of money or tracking in the notes section or such.

2. I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Do you mean about working it into a setting? I guess it would depend on the setting. The artificer is partially based on the mass creation of low level magical items. There were several similar items that I recall, from Dragon magazine. I suppose if it were to be a new class, it would come from a wizard or arcane group or from a guild; as an example GM at a store was going to run an assassin based game, everyone went for striker type characters (it was 4e if I remember right) but I figured on playing an Artificer if I was going to join in. Crafting poisons, temporary magical items that would kill the target or sabotaging and setting up the after effects to kill him (sabotage his coach, then spook horses into river, and he drowns when he can't escape) or something like that.

Zubla
July 10th, 2013, 04:09
2. I guess what I want at this point are playability in FG 3.5 and leads to a stand alone 3.5 Artificer class book/URL/article -- that does not reference Eberron or any of its features such as warforged. Or if a feature is valuable, it has a non-Eberron reason to exist.

I guess I can do the "its really just a base caster":
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Artificer
but I was hoping for more its a different thing, Artificer as its own class with its own special abilities and feats.

A reference with warforged:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificer_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Dungeons_.26_Drag ons_3rd_edition_.282000-2007.29

I guess I can play a Wizard inside FG 3.5. And anything that won't fit I can play on paper or in the notes. Still issues like level 10, would it still be Wizard 1 Artificer 9 ?
Would typing class Artificer info FG's main page, and level 9, how do I say, are there class specific parts of FG 3.5, like what skills show up? Or combat? Or is the main tab class name just a field on a piece of paper, your classname could even be Cowboy?
Or would it have to be Wizard 10 (and then manual bookkeeping of "note 9 levels were taken as Artificer")? Which would mean Artificers are identical to Wizards for things like combat inside the FG 3.5 ruleset.

Anyone know if the FG2 Pathfinder ruleset handle Artificer as its own class? And non-Ebberon?

Thanks everyone and TIA

Trenloe
July 10th, 2013, 04:21
FG does not have any special actions/functionality based off the character class name or something like that. So, yes, you could have Cowboy as a character class and it won't make any difference to what you see on the character sheet. You still need to fill in things like class skills, saves, attacks, etc., etc..

The only thing that changes how spellcasting operates is the type of the spell class on the actions tab (the icon to the left of the class name): prepared, spontaneous or points; but this is purely based on how the caster memorises/uses spells.

Mgrancey
July 10th, 2013, 14:50
The only real difference would be having the content available in the library, which I might be able to help you with, I had started making Eberron into a library module in prep for running something link that but I set it aside as I am at limit for running/playing stuff at moment on regular basis. I'd have to pull it out and look at it to see what I did get done.