PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Spanish Main....roleplaying in his majesty's royal Navy!

daddystabz
July 3rd, 2013, 17:10
Do you love the C.S. Forester stories about Horatio Hornblower and the A&E tv series based upon those books? Did you enjoy the Jack Aubrey stories by Patrick O'Brian and the movie based upon them, Master and Commander?

Well then this is the campaign for you!

We will be playing online over Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop Pirates of the Spanish Main for Savage Worlds, an amazing RPG setting based upon the 18th. century age of sail that focuses on roleplaying members of his Majesty's Royal Navy in my campaign. In this game the players will help create the story by adding elements they would want to see in their adventures.

Begin as an Ensign or Midshipman and watch your character grow like Hornblower as you fight bravely on land and sea for king and country. Romance the Dutch daughter of a famed captain, cross swords with deadly pirates. You can do it all in this game!

We will also be using voice chat via Skype to run the game. People new to the setting and/or Savage Worlds are welcome. We will help you learn the game and provide materials to aid in play. I have an ULTIMATE LICENSE so ANYONE can play, even with the demo, for FREE!

I am willing to help each player learn this simple system and will provide materials to play the game.

Please feel free to post you interest here and/or PM me your name, email address and Skype name. I will get you added to our contact list. Once I have an idea of who all will likely be playing we will coordinate time and day of the week schedule.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 18:21
Depending on the day and time, I might be interested in this. I haven't played in a Savaged game in a few years, so I might be a little rusty. I do have the book in the archive someplace though..

Storm221
July 4th, 2013, 00:26
Oh heck ya. I'd definitely be interested

bennis1980
July 4th, 2013, 09:35
Sounds great and would be interested in this. What time / day do you plan to play? I'm in Dublin so would be restricted depending on your timezone.

grimm182
July 4th, 2013, 16:05
If this ends up on a Sunday night let me know!

daddystabz
July 6th, 2013, 21:53
I am in the U.S. eastern time zone.

For each of you:

What is your availability like? Do you prefer weekly or bi-weekly or once a month game frequency?

What is your Skype username? Are you registered on Google + at all?

Also, can I please get your email address and name? I will add you to my contact list for the game. Feel free to PM this info to me and/or email me at [email protected].

daddystabz
July 10th, 2013, 07:37
I have received a response from storm221. If any of you others are interested please email me the info I requested to [email protected].

This will be probably get going relatively soon.

grimm182
July 10th, 2013, 13:29
Email sent! and now i must watch Yellowbeard...

Captain Hughes: Wait a minute! What is that?
Gilbert: It's a crocodile, sir.
Captain Hughes: What's it for?
Gilbert: Well, um... each sailor is allowed, by tradition, a pet, sir.
Captain Hughes: One pet per sailor, parrots preferred.
Gilbert: Well, we like clubbed together, as it were, if you take my drift, sir.
Captain Hughes: That's bigger than three parrots.
Gilbert: Not if they're in cages, sir.
Captain Hughes: Open it up.
Gilbert: Open it up?
Captain Hughes: Open it up! There are buttons down the side.
[Gilbert opens the crocodile. Rosie the prostitute is smiling inside]
Captain Hughes: The ancient superstition that a woman onboard brings bad luck is now a proven scientific fact.
Gilbert: Nice try, Rosie.
Rosie: [Rosie walks off and stops a sailor carrying a sheep towards the ship] Shouldn't bother, love. They're fairly strict on this one.

Donegal
July 12th, 2013, 02:11
Wow, I would love to play in this game!

daddystabz
July 12th, 2013, 13:39
Yellowbeard reference! Extra benny for you, sir!!

Email sent! and now i must watch Yellowbeard...

Captain Hughes: Wait a minute! What is that?
Gilbert: It's a crocodile, sir.
Captain Hughes: What's it for?
Gilbert: Well, um... each sailor is allowed, by tradition, a pet, sir.
Captain Hughes: One pet per sailor, parrots preferred.
Gilbert: Well, we like clubbed together, as it were, if you take my drift, sir.
Captain Hughes: That's bigger than three parrots.
Gilbert: Not if they're in cages, sir.
Captain Hughes: Open it up.
Gilbert: Open it up?
Captain Hughes: Open it up! There are buttons down the side.
[Gilbert opens the crocodile. Rosie the prostitute is smiling inside]
Captain Hughes: The ancient superstition that a woman onboard brings bad luck is now a proven scientific fact.
Gilbert: Nice try, Rosie.
Rosie: [Rosie walks off and stops a sailor carrying a sheep towards the ship] Shouldn't bother, love. They're fairly strict on this one.

grimm182
July 15th, 2013, 00:28
Any word when we set sail yet?

daddystabz
July 15th, 2013, 05:59
This is my idea right now as to how I may run this:

I play in a Dungeon Crawl Classics game over Google + Hangouts. We do not have a set day or time. Instead we have set up a community on there and when the GM has some time he runs a game and sends us an invite days in advance. You click whether you can make it or not and it lets the GM know. If you cannot make it to a session one week it is totally ok. You can try to make it to the next one. This could work well for a ship with a relatively large crew of sailors.

Also, I plan on implementing a mission system I am taking from a brilliant game called Beat to Quarters wherein each player submits to the GM an adventure element he/she would like to see in the game. It can be things such as "I'd like to see a duel, I'd like to romance the governor's daughter, I'd like to see a storm, etc." The GM then uses these ideas to craft missions that will thrill the players and entertain everyone involved.

What do you all think about these ideas?

grimm182
July 16th, 2013, 12:16
I really like the adventure element suggestion piece...

Donegal
July 22nd, 2013, 01:40
As do I. I have used mechanics like this before and liked it. Keeping players involved in the development of the campaign is always a good thing.