PDA

View Full Version : The GM Portrait - Can One Change It?

chipmafia
July 2nd, 2013, 17:28
I like the setting where portraits are shown in chat. The GM portrait is just a big circle with letters "GM" in it. (as you know)

Is it possible to change that portrait? I'm familiar with uploading other portraits, but haven't yet to find one for the GM.

Thanks for your help.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2013, 17:32
You need to change the actual graphic in the ruleset - and this would be a one-off change, you can't have different chat portraits for different NPCs.

In the 3.5e ruleset, for example, the following graphics file is used: graphics\icons\portrait_gm_token.png

chipmafia
July 2nd, 2013, 18:01
Thanks. I can't seem to find that folder in my AppData folder. Is there some particular place it is located?

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2013, 18:12
You need to edit the ruleset. Information in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=139344&postcount=6

See step 1 of "A few steps to do before getting started".

Griogre
July 2nd, 2013, 18:25
Typically, for this type of change you would be better off in the long run writing an extension so you don't have to do the same change every time the ruleset is updated or allow your version of the ruleset to fall behind.

chipmafia
July 2nd, 2013, 18:39
I was able to delete the old one (saved a copy) but when I tried to put a new one in (of the same name) it came up with an error. It said:

"File not found or no read permission"

I think I'm in a pickle as it won't let me even put the old one back.

Thoughts?

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2013, 18:49
I was able to delete the old one (saved a copy) but when I tried to put a new one in (of the same name) it came up with an error. It said:

"File not found or no read permission"

I think I'm in a pickle as it won't let me even put the old one back.

Thoughts?
I'm confused as to the steps you are taking - what are you actually doing, and what files are you deleting and replacing?

What directory are you doing this in? Are you unzipping the .PAK file to the <FG App Data Directory>\rulesets directory?

chipmafia
July 2nd, 2013, 18:55
I solved the problem, but I'll write my steps for anyone who does the same thing I did:

1. I changed the 4E.pak directory to a 4E.zip.
2. I opened the 4E.zip file and changed the fille I wanted to change.
3. Windows would not allow me to complete step 2, giving the error stated above.
4. I extracted the files to my Desktop, changed the file (the GM Portrait) then used a 3rd party program to re-zip the file.
5. I changed the extension back to 4E.pak.
6. I loaded my 4E campaign with a cool new portrait.

When I tried to use Windows built-in compressor, it was still giving me the error. I used 7zip instead. Worked like a charm.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your help.

Trenloe
July 2nd, 2013, 19:01
When I tried to use Windows built-in compressor, it was still giving me the error. I used 7zip instead. Worked like a charm.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your help.
No worries - Windows can be picky where you do file operations, especially in the Program Files directories.

Glad you got it working! :-)

Now, as Griogre mentions, it is probably best to do this as an extension so you can keep using it with future ruleset updates... :)