PDA

View Full Version : When modified roll exceeds table maximum

El Condoro
June 30th, 2013, 15:01
I had a look for this on the forum but couldn't find the answer.

How do you prevent the 'Can't find column of that value' message that a modified table roll gives when it exceeds the maximum.

e.g. A table has a maximum roll of 6 and assumes a d6 is being used. With a modifier applied of +3, any roll of 4 or more will return the 'error' message and not give the maximum result from the table.

Hope I'm making sense.
Cheers

Trenloe
June 30th, 2013, 16:33
Tables aren't designed to be used with modifiers - they automatically decide on which single dice to roll based on the number range entered in the first column.

As you've discovered, if the end result is outside of the defined number range you receive an error.

Depending on how you are using tables, you may be able to modify the base code to change which dice are used for the ranges entered - for example, roll a d6 when the range is 1-8, then you can have modifiers of +1 or +2 applied to the roll without errors. But, this would be a global change so you then wouldn't be able to use a d8 for a different table with a range of 1-8.

More info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18581

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2013, 21:12
To allow modifiers for tables, the table system would need to add a "dice" and "base modifier" column to each table that could be configured by the GM.

Sounds like a great wish list item. Please see my sig for the link to the wish list.

Regards,
JPG

El Condoro
June 30th, 2013, 23:39
Thanks, Trenloe. My hope was that the result returned would just be the maximum if the modified result was higher than the maximum in the table.

I have been looking at BRPG, too, and that allows tables to be fully configured and nested within other tables - I think FG would benefit from a similar system.

[Edit]: Just read you can do this by putting the name of the table in square brackets.

A situation: roll temperature, weather, wind, modified by season, location etc. all in separate related tables.

I'll have a look at that wish list moon_wizard.

Cheers