PDA

View Full Version : Why no conversion for Pirates of the Spanish Main?

daddystabz
June 26th, 2013, 10:32
I am looking to run a Napoleonic Naval campaign and since I have FG, an ultimate license and the book copy of Pirates of the Spanish Main I thought this would be a great thing if I could do it over FG. However, there is no extension for FG currently even though there is one for 50 Fathoms.

Why is there nothing for PotSM? Is it due to licensing worries from Wizkids?

Doswelk
June 26th, 2013, 10:37
I would expect so.

Same reason there is no Solomon Kane

daddystabz
June 26th, 2013, 10:50
Argh! This is the most frustrating thing about Fantasy Grounds and all the money I've put into it.

Are there any tutorials anywhere on how to do library modules yourself please you could point me to?

Doswelk
June 26th, 2013, 10:55
Indeed but at least FGII has licensed Savage Worlds products, not all of course, but some is better than none.

All you would need to do is use Ikael's library tools to enter the custom hindrances and skills, equipment, weapons and vehicles.

Then you can use the deluxe rules for everything else, I imagine you have the POTSM book/PDF so you can just refer back to that.

daddystabz
June 26th, 2013, 11:05
Yes indeed, sir.

I do have the PotsM book and PDF. I looked at Ikael's library tools once before but didn't quite grok how to use it. I learn quickly and if I had some kind of teaching source for it I would be able to figure it out quickly but right now I do not know how to use it. I'd have to find it again too.

Indeed but at least FGII has licensed Savage Worlds products, not all of course, but some is better than none.

All you would need to do is use Ikael's library tools to enter the custom hindrances and skills, equipment, weapons and vehicles.

Then you can use the deluxe rules for everything else, I imagine you have the POTSM book/PDF so you can just refer back to that.

Doswelk
June 26th, 2013, 13:12
Assuming he re-writes it to work with 3.4 you have just given the subject of the next video!

Griogre
June 26th, 2013, 16:35
I've run a Pirates game and if you have Fifty Fathoms it's pretty easy to convert the stuff over to PotSM. Though 50F is a higher powered setting so make sure you take a look at stats of the NPCs and adjust them for beginning heroes. The Pirate's ship combat rules are better than the ship combat rules in 50F and I would say the Pirate's setting has better scaling heroes power wise.

I asked years ago about doing the Pirates of the Spanish Main setting but even before WizKids got bought I was told it would never happen.

phantomwhale
June 27th, 2013, 08:57
For what it's worth, there are settings I'd LOVE to have (and/or convert) the official version for Savage Worlds within Fantasy Grounds - Realms of Cthulhu, for instance. But again, it's down to each publisher, and there level of comfort.

Massive kudos to Smiteworks for getting in all the names they have though; it's something no other VTT has wide access to, hence why I keep at it. But certainly with Ikael's library tools it's getting easier to get "what you need" for a private library file, and potentially someone COULD create some non-copyright image-using free extension for general thematic immersion and distribute that around (although using 50F wouldn't be a bad solution there).

Ikael
June 27th, 2013, 10:55
Assuming he re-writes it to work with 3.4 you have just given the subject of the next video!

It has already been updated to work for SW v3.4 ruleset :)

Doswelk
June 30th, 2013, 20:14
Could I have a copy of the 3.4 version then please :D

Ikael
July 1st, 2013, 18:27
Could I have a copy of the 3.4 version then please :D

I sent you the v3.4 compatible extensions. I will make them public when v3.4 ruleset hits the ground.