PDA

View Full Version : Server is having issues?

XpressO
June 26th, 2013, 08:33
The site has been very slow for a while now and Ultimate license users have had trouble getting a game going on.

Simply put: What is going on and what are you doing to solve it?

DDOS attack perhaps?

Yours,
XpressO

ddavison
June 26th, 2013, 14:14
Hello Xpress0,

We have had a combination of things. The regular activity has grown considerably in recent weeks and this highlighted some fundamental flaws in our architecture that needed to be addressed. We made a change that appears to have resolved the majority of these issues last week.

In addition to this, we've been targeted by attacks from the outside. We've been dealing with these issues as they come up and are working with someone to perform some analysis on additional steps we can take.

XpressO
June 26th, 2013, 14:43
Thank you for your response! I'm happy to know you are taking measures to fix the issues. Hopefully the problems will end soon enough :)

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 15:16
The site has been very slow for a while now and Ultimate license users have had trouble getting a game going on.
I've been having issues too occasionally over the past few weeks. If the GM has a problem starting the campaign, try disabling the alias and seeing if that makes a difference - of course, you'll have to supply your players with your IP address, but it might make you be able to start your game OK. I've seen the refresh of the alias, which occurs when the GM starts a game, take up to 10 minutes when the FG server is experiencing "issues".

JohnD
June 26th, 2013, 15:53
In addition to this, we've been targeted by attacks from the outside. We've been dealing with these issues as they come up and are working with someone to perform some analysis on additional steps we can take.
Cripes why is the world so over quota on asshats?

Griogre
June 26th, 2013, 16:25
LOL, personally I doubt the quota of idiots to has ever changed through recorded history - I just think the ability to project their asshatness and absolute numbers have increased as the worlds population as increased.... :p

On a more serious note, if you are a GM it is wise to have other ways than the FG boards to contact your group so you can play even if the site is having troubles. A private group or voice server works very well so you can give out the IP address to the GM server if the alias server is having problems. The FG community voice server and a yahoo or google group all work well for this.

sakmerlin37
June 26th, 2013, 18:30
Cripes why is the world so over quota on asshats?

I've often wondered about this; I think that maybe Smiteworks might be unlucky enough to be in a pool of IP addresses being attacked; for the life of me, I can't think of anybody, except a disgruntled player or former employee, being so ticked off that they want to make sure that a few people (relatively speaking) can't get their geek on by attacking a game server. For all we know, Smiteground's IP address may be one off from a DoD installation, or a major company's network...

Or, maybe these idiots really are such "asshats" (good word, btw) that they are targeting this server.

Moon Wizard
June 27th, 2013, 02:54
Our server is managed by a third-party ISP. It could just be that they have been targeted, not specifically us.

Regards,
JPG

__doug__
June 30th, 2013, 01:33
Could someone provide a link on how to configure FG when the server is down. I'd like to pass it on to our GM. He didn't realize you could do that last game and we missed out due to the server issues.

Thanks!

Doug

Trenloe
June 30th, 2013, 01:41
Could someone provide a link on how to configure FG when the server is down. I'd like to pass it on to our GM. He didn't realize you could do that last game and we missed out due to the server issues.
This post tells you how to disable the alias: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150593&postcount=10

__doug__
June 30th, 2013, 02:40
Thank you! That is what i was looking for.

Doug

This post tells you how to disable the alias: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150593&postcount=10