PDA

View Full Version : Text Only DnD 4e Campaign - Gauging interest

Wyrmblight
June 26th, 2013, 04:58
First and foremost, let me just put it out there that this would be my first experience as a DM on Fantasy Grounds, as we speak I am getting used to all the tools at my disposal and proper management of my campaign material (maps, tokens, story, etc.) and I would most likely be learning on the fly.

This post is to see how much interest there would be in such a 4e Campaign, using text only for anything happening in character and optionally voice if players wish to speak to each other out of character. I believe that using text, while sometimes a bit slower, results in greater storytelling and mood. So here goes..

FG License: I have a Full License, players participating would need at least a Lite license.
Game System: D&D 4e

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time (GMT-6)
Day of week and time: Mondays or Tuesdays starting around 7 PM and lasting between 3 and a half hours to 4 hours.
If new game, planned start date: The game would begin somewhere at the end of July or beginning of August but I would like to meet with the players (possibly all of them together) over the course of the next few weeks to work on characters together.
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Long term. I would like to keep playing for a very long time.

Text or Voice: Anything in-game will happen in Text ONLY.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 51/49 Roleplay/Combat. I am only putting 51 up there because I favor story telling just a tad bit more than combat. However, these numbers will adjust to what my players need/want!
Number of Players needed: 5
Character starting level & equipment: Fresh start. Standard gear.
Character restrictions: Unaligned or better. I am very open-minded, have access to a lot of books, but I don't think I want any monster races for the PCs at this point.

Fangorea: Harsh Territories

Welcome to the world of Fangorea , a realm ripe with adventure and ancient forgotten mysteries. The world is vast and many regions remain unexplored, but our adventure begins in Braham; a small coastal village on the edge of the westernmost human civilized province of Lhom. The village, tucked between the waters of the Tenebrous Sea and the three spires of the Nulbilnul; a perilous mountain range spanning north across the land all the way to the Blackstone Mountains, lies within the merchant passage commonly known as the Way of Hope.

Perpetually threatened by raids coming from the hills to the north, or the blackened creatures of the cursed Maestm Woods, the villagers of Braham have learned to cope with their situation but the looming threats have grown worse over the years. This constant danger offers many would-be adventurers a chance to prove themselves and this is where you come in.

Strange signs have begun to appear in the fields outside the village walls, small pets and cattle have begun to disappear, even some riding horses vanished in the midst of the night. But now, a young boy - the innkeeper's son, has been kidnapped and the whole village is gathered at the inn, shaken with fear. A rescuing party was sent north a few days ago, where tracks led off into the hills, but has not returned. That night you happen to be there, resting at the Adventurous Shield, and this is where it all begins.. or is it?

This is sort of where I am heading with this, a work in progress. Obviously this is but a parcel of the entire world, but this is where our adventure begins.

What I expect from players:
As I stated earlier am very open-minded but I have a few things I like to do a bit differently than most.

Firstly, I like to have my players roll for abilities as a preference, I think it gives a chance to have different personas amongst the characters. Weaker or stronger characters that act differently than usual and whatnot, but I am fair.. I will never let one player be extremely strong without consequences and vice versa, I rarely let a player be extremely weak unless he states that he is ok with it. So using the 4d6 drop the lowest standard rolling method. These stats would all be rolled at the same time for all players together in Fantasy Grounds.

Secondly, instead of providing you with a world where I decide what is and what isn't, I like to intertwine player backgrounds into the story and the world. This means that you are at liberty of creating cities, bloodlines, events, or anything that comes to your mind - and would make some sense - to your background. This has its limits however, as much as I like details in a background, being a Half-Orc Barbarian who comes from the floating city of Drakmar where your father is the ruler of 70,000 men and women makes little sense and is a bit too extreme. But anything that comes to your mind and is a bit more light-hearted we can fit into the story, nothing in Fangorea is set in stone before the campaign begins and your character building decisions may influence the world before it does.

Finally, before you reply to this post I'd like you to reflect on what kind of player you think you are. Taken directly from the DMG, I'd like to know which of these you believe represents you most, are you an Actor, an Explorer, an Instigator, a Power Gamer, a Slayer, a Storyteller, a Thinker or a Watcher? There are no wrong answers, the idea is to get a good mix of players that complement each other well.

If you're not sure what each of these personas represent:

An Actor emphasizes on his character's personality, prefers social encounters to fights, that does not mean he hates fights.
An Explorer seeks out new experiences and hidden secrets, enjoys atmosphere as much as combat and story.
An Instigator likes to make things happen and takes lots of risks, thrives in combat and dislikes standing around.
A Power Gamer optimizes character attributes for combat performance and sends less time on story and roleplaying elements, prefers combat to other encounters.
A Slayer optimizes just like a Power Gamer but wants to take bold actions all the time, picking simpler options to get into the action quicker.
A Storyteller provides an extensive character background, likes dramatic scenes and recurring characters and prefers adventures that have a plot on a larger scale.
A Thinker engages any challenge or encounter as a puzzle to be solved, chooses actions carefully and prefers taking his time to consider all options.
A Watcher is there to be a part of the group and helps calm disputes by not being as attached to the game as others might be.

If you feel you identify to more than one of these groups you can say so, for example I believe I am parts Explorer, parts Storyteller!

When you reply to this post, besides the aforementioned information, I do not need you to select a class, a race, a role or anything specific unless you want to. I would like my players to first meet up and decide amongst yourselves what you each want to play or not play, this obviously gives a leg up to players who have no preference and just want to have fun! At that point you can decide whether the five of you were already together for some time, have just recently met, have not met until now. The idea is to get to know each other before the game starts. Whether you are new or experienced with D&D or Fantasy Grounds has little impact on my decision to take you as a player, if you are new then good we can learn together, if you are experienced just as good you can keep me in line and help your fellow players!

Link to Gamecalendar page: None at the moment, this is a tentative post.

Well I think that does cover everything I had to say for now, I hope to hear from many of you in the future and look forward to trying out FG as a DM!

Yours Truly,
DM Wyrmblight

Dr_Babylon
June 26th, 2013, 05:19
You have sure put a lot of thought into this and I think you will do very well indeed. If only I could meet that schedule you would have my immediate devotion. I especially like the up front question of motivating interests (I'm an actor-type with maybe a trace of storyteller and instigator elements). I applaud your clear and candid approach.

It was my goal in posting to express my admiration for your proposal. I sincerely hope you attract the following you deserve. Be well.

Wyrmblight
June 26th, 2013, 15:00
Thanks Dr_Babylon, what times would suit you? Simply curious. If there are many in your situation maybe we can work something out.

Storm221
June 27th, 2013, 00:36
Hey there, I am very interested, and have been hoping for a game during the week.
I would consider myself an Explorer.
Thanks!

Angus_McKracken
June 27th, 2013, 02:51
Hello. I would be interesting in playing. I would like to be part of a long adventure. I am a Thinker/Explorer.

Wyrmblight
June 27th, 2013, 04:09
Hey Storm and Angus, glad to hear you're interested. I'll keep you posted in here and will PM both of you once we've got at least 5 players signed up for a tentative gathering!

Angus_McKracken
June 27th, 2013, 20:12
Thanks Wyrmblight for the update.

Vemocleus
June 28th, 2013, 02:41
What an awesome intro, if only I could pull off a Monday/Tuesday game. Ah well... best of luck!

Wyrmblight
June 30th, 2013, 18:01
Just want to make sure the adventure doesn't vanish from the front page as I still need at least 3 players!

PhorgottenSon
June 30th, 2013, 18:26
Excellent first post for a game with great detail. This is exactly what I hoped to see when I made that Template for Game Listings. Potential players know exactly what they are getting into, love it.

Sent you a PM

Ienai
July 1st, 2013, 09:04
I am a Actor/Storyteller/Explorer. I would be very interested in joining your game if you are running it Tuesday evenings.

I'll check back on this post tomorrow before I head into work.

~Ienai

Wyrmblight
July 1st, 2013, 18:32
If you guys would like we could meet for a first time sometime this coming week as we have four interested already and I don't think we'll have to wait too long for a fifth. You can PM me your availabilities and we'll try to set something up, also you can tell me which way you prefer to communicate (PM, e-mail, etc.).

This is also to ensure I have FG set up correctly on my side.

Wyrmblight
July 1st, 2013, 22:44
I've expanded my days to Wednesdays as well, if this suits the players who applied more let me know.

Wyrmblight
July 2nd, 2013, 23:34
One or more players still needed, hope I'm not being too aggressive for these forums XD

PhorgottenSon
July 3rd, 2013, 03:33
One or more players still needed, hope I'm not being too aggressive for these forums XD

I wouldn't think so. People should expect a bit of a bump blast to get a new campaign going. After you get your group, there will be no need to keep this on the first page and it can then fade away to allow other new groups or games needing players to grab the spotlight.

Yakkie
July 3rd, 2013, 13:41
Hello!

I'm certainly interested, but I am unsure if my shedule and timezone will fit with the group. Anyway, I'm flexible on weekends ;P

EDIT: Oh, and I would think myself an Actor/Explorer.

Wyrmblight
July 3rd, 2013, 23:14
Yakkie do you mean that you can only play on weekends?

This game will be played somewhere between Monday and Wednesday if that is the case, unfortunately.

Yakkie
July 3rd, 2013, 23:48
Yakkie do you mean that you can only play on weekends?

This game will be played somewhere between Monday and Wednesday if that is the case, unfortunately.

Ah, I must've missed that part :/

Wyrmblight
July 6th, 2013, 16:43
Still seeking one or more players to finalize the group and starting at the beginning of August.

X4bT0rZ
July 7th, 2013, 01:20
Who is all playing and what roles have been taken?

Wyrmblight
July 7th, 2013, 01:57
At this moment we have four players who are Ienai, Storm, Angus_McKraken and PhorgottenSun. As far as roles - nothing is set in stone - we've talked in e-mails and it looks like I have a Leader, Defender and Striker so far and still waiting on word from the last player.

Technically any role is still open, we'll make do.

Wyrmblight
July 9th, 2013, 01:11
We are meeting for the first time tomorrow night for a little character brewing session, still looking for our last player. Any role is available!

Quinthalas
July 9th, 2013, 03:21
I would be interested in playing, I have played some 4th before.

Wyrmblight
July 9th, 2013, 15:45
Could you tell me a bit about yourself as a player Quinthalas, just by answering the question on the original post?

I'm at work right now but I'll get in touch with you later tonight.

Quinthalas
July 10th, 2013, 00:04
I would say thinker, instigator, and "power gamer" but not necessarily for combat but to be effective at my role such as face or skill monkey or whatever. I just like to help move the story along however it fits with my character the best.

mindmaker1975
July 18th, 2013, 19:57
I think I am late to the advert here. I am a "returning" player of sorts. I know 4E pretty well and am "functional" in Fantasygrounds. I GMed at one point, that was some time ago.

As a player, I lean more Explorer/Storyteller side. At the same time I have a "Power" side. I like having that 1 powerful go to "wow" skill or ability, whether it is a skill or an attack matters not to me. I just like having somthing heroic that makes a character shine. Text games appeal to me, they play out like an interactive book. Along that line I can play just about any character class and be happy. Semper gumby, always flexible. Let me know if you still need players.

TheRogueNerd
July 19th, 2013, 03:05
I am experienced with 4e and have played various types of characters. I am definitely an actor/explorer/storyteller. I have played in many game where there have been good and bad DMs and this sounds good. Hopefully there is a spot still available.

Wyrmblight
July 27th, 2013, 03:07
Sorry for not replying in a while, as I informed my current players I was unreachable for a bit while in the process of moving. At the moment it seems the party's ranks have filled but I will keep your names in mind should something go wrong. Thanks!