PDA

View Full Version : New RM / SM apocalyptic sci-fi setting...

bennis1980
June 21st, 2013, 12:40
Hi all,

I'm working on a new setting set on a dying planet with no realistic means of salvation. Society has all but collapsed given the realisation of it's not existant future. It will be a game majorly focused on survival: surviving the maraudering raiders, surviving insane psychotic robots, surviving the many inevitable cults and religions which form given that "the end of the world is nigh" and surviving the gloom/depression/insanity which impending doom would elicit. Most importantly will be basic survival: the search for food, water and safe shelter. Food and water will be treated as a form of currency, recorded in calories and litres, with a required amount lost every day (unless rationing - which will incurr a penalty). This will be enforced quite harshly, so the possibility of dying of thirst a real threat.

Set in an urban metropolis fallen into advanced disrepair, there will be access to old technology (which is advanced by 21st century standards), but a lot of the skills for understanding the old tech artifacts will be lost, along with the power to operate them. Melee weapons will be most common, but I plan to include firearms and SM ranged weapons (lasers, blasters and/or plasmas). Apart from food and water, battery packs will be one of the most prized finds in the urban ruins.

I am working hard to get the Space Master attack and critical tables converted and working, but that seems to be taking some time.

I thought I'd post here to see if there is any interest in such a campaign. Also if people have any opinions on what kind of scenarios would be nice in this setting, let me know

JohnD
June 21st, 2013, 14:01
I most certainly am interested... the question will be whether or not game times are manageable; unfortunately you and I are quite far apart time zone wise.

bennis1980
June 21st, 2013, 14:18
Ah, we aren't too far apart. We could work something out, especially if you are free on a weekend.

amanojoe
June 21st, 2013, 20:15
I would be interested in joining.

I am in London so scheduling shouldnt be an issue for me.

I like your idea of an apocalyptic setting (I have fond memories of playing Cyberpunk, Paranoia and the old Fallout crpgs).

I have never used Spacemaster before but am familiar with Rolemaster. Assuming you will be using a combination of these systems I would be interested to know how you are planning to handle character creation ie. professions, races, background options, statistics, skills, magic/psionics.

I will keep an eye on the forums for further updates :)

bennis1980
June 22nd, 2013, 07:57
I would be interested in joining.

I am in London so scheduling shouldnt be an issue for me.

I like your idea of an apocalyptic setting (I have fond memories of playing Cyberpunk, Paranoia and the old Fallout crpgs).

Great, you're more than welcome

I have never used Spacemaster before but am familiar with Rolemaster. Assuming you will be using a combination of these systems I would be interested to know how you are planning to handle character creation ie. professions, races, background options, statistics, skills, magic/psionics.

I will keep an eye on the forums for further updates :)
Some very good questions. I hope I can answer them to your satisfaction:

Spacemaster is nearly 100% compatible with RM, just different skills, attack tables and such. You won't have a problem systemwise.

Professions: Still to decide, but any from RM / SM which are appropriate, with the suitable modifications so the skill list is complete

Races: I will create these myself using the race creation kit. Terrans, Gaians, Tank-borns, a few more I hope (I may change the names, these are working titles)

Background Options: I don't like the Background Options available in RMC, so I will compile a list of suitable / favourite ones from Talents & Flaws (Elven Upbringing will not be one of them :D )

Statistics: Obviously, all of the same stats from RM / SM will be used (they are the same), but I will include the new stats: RADs (radiation level), Sanity (dealing with the end of the world is tough on the mind - this is apocalyptic, not post-apoc)

Skills: I will use an extension to remove/add the appropriate skill list, so character creation should work fine directly in FG. I have this loose plan to add skills as lost skills / tech are rediscovered (remember society has completely collapsed a few generations - parents are not teaching their children)

Magic/Psionics: There will be some form of psi abilities available to certain races / evolved backgrounds, but they won't be ubiquitous. Therefore, Spell Law won't be used. I will more likely go for a skill based system but I've still to finalise what abilities will be included.

A quick note on starting technology levels: Characters will start closer to RM with regards weapon tech. High tech weaponry is rare (100 year war / chaos and weapon /ammo production at a standstill). Firearms are a little more common due to the mechanical nature of ammo production, but still it is hard to come by as it was an older abandoned technology.