PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting for Classic Traveller

mgholson
June 21st, 2013, 00:23
I am interested in playing a science fiction setting not really tied to an established commercial entity. Traveller seems to fit the bill. Will be using a modified version of the Original Traveller Universe. I have no experience playing Traveller, so the game will be a learning experience for me.

Characters will be rolled out according to the rules, risk of death and all but I'll probably offer at least one free skill and a chance to roll more than one character.

I prefer not to use voice chat.

I like about a equal mix of combat situations to role play.

The atmosphere and feeling I'm going for is something similar to firefly, cowboy bebop, ect, low power and struggling to survive. I'm a fan of Peter Hamilton, the late and great Iain M Banks and Alastair Reynolds so you'll probably be seeing some there ideas crop in.

As far as time, I'm open to a night game any day of the week other than Friday.

Dr_Babylon
June 23rd, 2013, 06:51
I am trying really hard, for his sake, not to put my grubby mitts all over this new thing of his but anyone on the fence should seriously consider signing on with mgholson here. He puts a lot of work into his projects, remains committed throughout, and engages in open and respectful communication with players. Do not be put off by his modesty. He is one of the good ones.

C'mon. Give it a whirl. Because spaceships.

mgholson
June 24th, 2013, 01:16
Thanks Doc, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm currently putting together my own little solo game to learn the system, it'll probably be awhile before I'm ready to GM, but if anyone is interested stay tuned.

X4bT0rZ
June 25th, 2013, 04:53
Subscribing to thread. No idea what Traveller is, but I am sick of fantasy and am pretty much going to follow whatever the Dr recommends because he's the ****.

Storm221
June 26th, 2013, 03:24
Subscribing to thread. No idea what Traveller is, but I am sick of fantasy and am pretty much going to follow whatever the Dr recommends because he's the ****.

Same here! Look forward to when your ready.. Though, I have never played Traveler also. :)

lachancery
June 26th, 2013, 05:18
Subscribed to thread as well. I'd love to play another game with mgholson and Dr_Babylon if my schedule permits when it starts.

Vemocleus
June 28th, 2013, 05:03
Another learning experience, huh? Sounds good to me. A non-specific sci-fi setting sounds interesting too.

dr_venture
June 28th, 2013, 07:26
Any idea of what days you'd be running? I don't know how I'd make the time, but I haven't been able to be a player in ages, and Classic Traveler sounds like a blast.

Dr_Babylon
June 28th, 2013, 08:04
Holy crap!

At the risk of seeming like a big old softie that's practically an all-star list of my favorite personalities 'round these parts. I would imagine, my dear dr_venture, that your familiarity with the system would be an asset, though I can attest that mgholson is pretty quick on the uptake. And with the rest of you guys, I know enough to expect unique perspectives on character and meaningful interaction (sure hope Traveler has a use for such detail).

I may indeed have to contribute...should there be room for my kind.

dr_venture
June 28th, 2013, 16:15
Thanks Dr. B., though I'm hardly versed in Classic Traveler - I Gmed it many, many moons ago when it was printed in those little half-sized booklets. I barely remember it at this point, but I'm sure it'd come back quick enough. For me, it'll all come down to available time: running my 2 campaigns soaks up most of my free time, but where there's a will, perhaps a way can be found?

Andraax
June 29th, 2013, 17:49
Count me in.

Dr_Babylon
June 29th, 2013, 20:13
Please forgive my vast ignorance on the subject, but what's the basic gist for Traveler? I wanna say something about...starships? Are we automatically on a great big "Enterprise" or can you go little old "Firefly" style with a more intimate crew? Are there rules regarding being off ship (be it an away team or whatever) or are you pretty much at your post in Engineering or Communications every minute of the day?

Just trying to get a handle on this thing (but boy do I ever have ideas!).

Andraax
June 29th, 2013, 20:28
Most Traveller campaigns are along the lines of Firefly - a small crew of traders that might be convinced to bend the law to make a few bucks. However, I have seen some other types of campaigns - space navy ones with larger ships (ala Enterprise) out to explore / interdict other navies, or a mercenary platoon up for sale to the highest bidder.

mgholson
June 30th, 2013, 01:38
Well I've now put in two weeks of game time, which took me about two weeks of real time to figure out.

Traveller is like the Lego system of games. Lots of pieces that stick together but have some rough edges. They may not always work well together, but stick them together anyway and apply generous amounts of creativity and you may have something cool. The game operates on many levels, you could be commander of a floatilla or the steward of a small puddle jumper.

I generated a few star systems and 4 PCs, gave 3 of them a little back story put em in a ship and I'm waiting for a situtation where they'll find the 4th.

We eneded up getting a tip on a sweet place to buy grain cheap, after making a sweet deal on the way back we got ambushed by a pack of carniverous chasers that we'll call "Corn Raptors."

The world had a high law and carrying firearms was illegal, but Mace Hawk, former street thug himself, (and current Steward of Grace's ship Prodigal Son) isn't going anywhere without his trusty Revolver. He convinced Paul and Grace to pack heat.

Paul and Mace each have training in hand guns and drilled 4 of the raptors as they approached. Grace who actually just bought the gun and has horrible dex and no training missed her two shots and got mauled. She was unconconcious but her crew shot the remaining two raptors and carried her back to the ship.

I'm really just getting into looking at the supplemental books Mercenary and High Guard.

More on character creation and setting to follow.

mgholson
June 30th, 2013, 01:50
Oops hit the wrong button.

Dr_Babylon
June 30th, 2013, 02:35
Well, if you do go ahead with this, boss, and you intend to use a smaller crew, I might have an idea for an interesting engineer (starship mechanic, whatever). That might be fun because I bet you that I have the most minimal technical know-how in real life of all your candidates so far.

I shall stay tuned.

Andraax
June 30th, 2013, 03:44
I'll play the steward / muscle if you need one of those. Or a scientific type.

lachancery
June 30th, 2013, 05:14
Don't remember if there were any psychic/psionic powers in Traveller?

Andraax
June 30th, 2013, 05:15
An entire race - the Zhodani.

lachancery
June 30th, 2013, 05:41
An entire race - the Zhodani.
Indeed! I just read about them. I know nothing about the setting, as you can see. Are the rule mechanics for handling psionics interesting? Which books should an interested player look at to get more informed (rules & setting)?

Blahness98
June 30th, 2013, 07:06
I also do not know the setting, but if schedules can be met, I'd love the chance to game with Dr. B. I have heard so many awesome things and was a little disappointed when he couldn't join my game. So, if you have room drop me a line.

Vemocleus
June 30th, 2013, 07:20
Lots of interest here. I'd be happy filling any role the group might need, if that's the way of it. I'd love to play any kind character, I can imagine a few ways it would evolve during creation. I only hope the decided day of play is something I can pull off.

Andraax
June 30th, 2013, 14:36
Indeed! I just read about them. I know nothing about the setting, as you can see. Are the rule mechanics for handling psionics interesting? Which books should an interested player look at to get more informed (rules & setting)?

The rules for psionics are in Book 3 if we're talking about Classic Traveller (books 1-3 are considered the basic rules that apply to all Traveller settings, while the rest are optional). If the campaign is taking place in the Third Imperium (the default setting) then psionics are illegal, even though they exist.

Trenloe
June 30th, 2013, 16:45
The Classic Traveller books are available on RPGNow - this is the link to Book 1, the others should appear along the bottom as "Customers also purchased..." https://www.rpgnow.com/product/80177/CT--B01-Characters-and-Combat?term=traveller+book+1&filters=0_0_10134_0_0

If you're going to pick up Books 1-3, you may as well get the Traveller Book: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/80192/CT-TTB-The-Traveller-Book?term=traveller+book&filters=0_0_10134_0_0 or Deluxe Traveller (the edition that introduced me to Traveller and I still have it): https://www.rpgnow.com/product/80191/CT--DT-Deluxe-Traveller

EDIT: The free "Guide to Classic Traveller" gives an overview of the various different releases and other GDW released books: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/80199/Guide-To-Classic-Traveller

If you're *really* interested in Traveller, you can pick up CD-ROMs of the various releases with lots and lot of books from here: https://www.farfuture.net/cdroms.html

I've just got a lot of these CD-ROMs with the recent Traveller5 release (Kickstarter) - a 600+ page letter size hardback is quite a change from the original LBBs (Little Black Books).

Trenloe
June 30th, 2013, 17:05
@mgholson - or whoever might referee a Traveller game, check out this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18917

Here Andraax and I discuss some changes that really need to be made to the Classic Traveller ruleset. These are well worth doing - especially changing the skilllevel field offset for weapons.

Andraax may have even done some more modifications?!? :)

Andraax
June 30th, 2013, 17:20
Yeah, I did a little bit here and there. Don't really remember all the stuff that I did, but I can package up my current ruleset and post it somewhere if someone needs it.

Trenloe
June 30th, 2013, 17:26
Yeah, I did a little bit here and there. Don't really remember all the stuff that I did, but I can package up my current ruleset and post it somewhere if someone needs it.
That would be good if you don't mind sharing. Thanks. :-)

Andraax
June 30th, 2013, 17:47
That would be good if you don't mind sharing. Thanks. :-)

Here is a link to my version of the ruleset (https://s3.silent-tower.org/ClassicTraveller.pak).

Dr_Babylon
July 2nd, 2013, 05:44
Okay it seems we've got a fair number of interested individuals of varying levels of familiarity with the system. I know I am on the "uninformed" edge of the spectrum there but I am looking forward to learning and adapting.

While our esteemed GM (Referee?) gets his ducks in a row, I thought it might be a nice idea to maintain an open dialogue (an open comm, if you will). I am certain that many among us have pretty good ideas as to what sort of character we want to portray. I feel confident that we will be granted some latitude regarding backstories and personae, as it has been my experience that mgholson prefers to build both a deeper mythology and a strong sense of community in his games based on player input. Pursuant to this, if it should be open to negotiation from us, the lowly, stalwart crew, what should we name our ship? Any suggestions?

(I do hope any of a more advanced skill level will forgive my tentative fumblings at acclimating myself. Baby steps.)

mgholson
July 2nd, 2013, 16:15
Thanks for the ruleset update!

OK let's see if I can answer some questions.

Gametime: Pretty much any evening around 7-8 Central Time other than Friday night. Whatever works for the majority. Sundays is my current PF game which may possibly go on hiatus, especially if people want to play CT on Sunday night.

Traveller? Traveller was written in 1977. Star Wars was released in 1977. I guess there was a Starcraze around then, maybe it was the influence of disco? Have you noticed how in the first Star Wars movie the controls of the millennium falcon could be a sweet DJ light show control panel. I degres. Anyway Traveller has the same feel. Its like lets take cutting edge 1970s design and technology and project it 2000 years in the future.

System: Not Universal There are several skills and they all sort of work the same and sort of work different. It's pretty basic though. All skills roll 2d6 or just 2D since d6 is the only die used in the game. Every skill has its own target number for a basic use. This target number is subject to change by the GM depending on how difficult the task is. Skill resolution is very coarse. What I mean is that there is a big difference between skill 1 and skill 2. Think of skill levels like college degrees. Level 1 is Associates, or about 2 years of study. Level 2 Bach, Level 3 Masters, Level 4 Phd, Level 5 Genius level.

Setting: I've been reading about the 3rd Imperium but am no expert on it. I've glanced at the aliens but the game will be human based to begin with. Let me just list a few of the key setting characteristics that will show up.

Feudalism: In space? Because there is no way to transmit information faster than light and there are hard limits to how quickly ships can move around in space it is neccesary for the imperial government to operate with a great deal of delegation to localized nobility. Don't expect the Empire or any major political powers to play much of a role in this game.

Colonies: Planets are pretty big places, and sure they can be all sizes but in my setting a majority of the worlds will be human colonies that only have a handful of cities, these various worlds will have wildly different tech levels.

Technology: The writers of Traveller did the best they could but who could have guessed the revolution in information technology that occurred in the last 25 years. For example, a Tech Level 11 hand computer costs 1000 credits and and ways half a Kilogram. We can do better then that now. Tech Level 11 is one level above interstellar community. I’ll be making a few changes to the technology and gear list, hopefully thinking of things to add. One thing I’ll never change is that information can only be transferred across interstellar space by Jump Drive.

Location: More then likely somewhere along the Zhodani border, probably around Spinward Marches for reasons I can’t divulge.
Rulebook: I think you could probably play without a rulebook, but it will make Character creation a bit harder. The Traveller Book is a very good rulebook, but the starter edition is good too.

Character Creation: This is perhaps the most controversial aspect of Traveller. Character creation is like a game in its self. While modern games go to extremes to balance everything Traveller characters can start out with wildly different abilities from the start. If you follow the rules then you don’t have a lot of control over how your character comes out in terms of their skills. Here’s what I’ve got so far on creation rules.
Roll out 2d6 for skills and assign as you please. No rerolls for any score.
Apply for career and roll for it. I would consider allowing the supplemental books for those familiar with them.
Everyone gets one extra life if you fail a survival roll, or if you you want that character to die and try again be my guest.
Upon mustering out you may add 2 years to your age and add 1 point in any skill you like as long as you create a reasonable brief explanation.

Character Advancement: It seems like Character Advancement is almost non existent in Traveller. There is an instruction skill in the High Guard book that allows a Character to teach other characters skills. I don't like how in most traditional RPGs characters can go from farm hands to demi gods in a couple of years of solid adventuring, but at the same time I'd like to see characters advance their abilities. I'm thinking of introducing some cybernetic, nanonic enhancement which will allow increases in skills and abilities along with some other ways to improve skills and abilities.

Skills: I’ll combind several of the weapon skills because I think its dumb to have all those individual weapon skills. For example there will be handgun, rifle, heavy weapons. And on the blade side, short blade, long blade, heavy blade.

Randomness My last game has kind of been like railroad. I laid out a course for the party and they traveled it. It was great fun, but I feel like I didn't offer enough freedom. If I prepared something for a game then pretty much whatever the party did would get them into my prepared content. There will be a story in the Traveller Game, but the game lends itself to random encounters and has lots of rules for generating interesting content almost on the fly.

Backstory: I’m working on it, but the basics are this. Captain Nick Brannigan pilots of Subsidized Trader and needs a crew of 5. pilot, navigator, engineer, medic, and steward. The ship is quite old and looks like its been through a lot, in the last few months the Captain has replaced his entire crew. So for the first part of the game the characters will be serving aboard this mysterious yet to be named vessel.

The engineer position is almost certainly already filled by Doctor Babylon.

One brief warning: This isn't a superhero game. No teenage monster-fighting anime space ninjas. No psionics from the beginning.

Thank you for your interest.

Andraax
July 2nd, 2013, 16:25
You might want to look over the "Universal Game Mechanic" and "The Rule of 68A" over on CotI. They simplify the Classic Traveller skill system into single mechanic for most situations. I typically use the 68A mechanic, but with the increased DMs from UGM as a hybrid.

Universal Game Mechanic (https://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=10910)
Rule of 68A (https://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?p=242946#post242946)

Vemocleus
July 2nd, 2013, 21:15
A medic might be interesting. Perhaps one who was forced into it by his parents, and is actually rather grossed out by body fluids and the like. Bit of a germophobe. But he keeps up at it, mainly because it's all he knows, and to honor his parents who died in a tragic ice cream-related accident (don't ask). Yeah...

Of course, that's if we play on a Wed. or Thur., the only 2 weeknights I can make.

mgholson
July 3rd, 2013, 03:45
Either of those night will work for me. Ice cream accident? There's a mystery that needs solving.

Vemocleus
July 3rd, 2013, 04:15
Whenever asked about it he never speaks of it, but his eyes gloss over as he remembers the screams... the horrific, twisted, nightmarish screams from days long gone. Ice cream never tasted the same after that.

Dr_Babylon
July 3rd, 2013, 04:20
"No anime superheroes..."

A certain unnamed starship mechanic sinks a little lower in her chair and says nothing, peering shiftily at those around her.

I dig the feudal thing and the notion of information travelling, essentially, a la pony express. It would be need to have to give ourselves a crash course on local laws before making contact in a new system (with vastly out-dated files, of course). The idea of different levels of technology available at certain points also presents interesting challenges ("This planet doesn't even have plasma couplers!?")

Despite her boisterous positive outlook, I figure my engineer will be the strong independent type when it comes to work that needs doing, preferring to do things her way (not that she resents authority, per se). Make her a tad superstitious in the manner of old school mariners who learned their trade at sea. Also a tad distrustful of science and new technology in general (and any over-qualified surgical intern on a broken-down tug trying to stick needles into every square centimeter of exposed flesh he finds). Whenever possible, she'd much rather jury-rig a needed part out of available scrap than make use of a fresh-out-of-the-box gadget.

I have a recurring Pathfinder game that flits from Wednesday to Thursday and back but I can lock it down to one or the other to make this game work. My only issue is that I still work evenings all week long so I can't guarantee my availability until 9:30 Eastern at the earliest.

Hope this still gels with the needs and desires of the many.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 04:27
Character Advancement: It seems like Character Advancement is almost non existent in Traveller. There is an instruction skill in the High Guard book that allows a Character to teach other characters skills. I don't like how in most traditional RPGs characters can go from farm hands to demi gods in a couple of years of solid adventuring, but at the same time I'd like to see characters advance their abilities. I'm thinking of introducing some cybernetic, nanonic enhancement which will allow increases in skills and abilities along with some other ways to improve skills and abilities.

The 1981 version of Book 2 (Starships) has a section on improvements during play. Page 42 in my book (just before the section on drugs).

mgholson
July 3rd, 2013, 04:30
@Andraxx

Thanks for those posts, its funny as I was reading all the mechanics for the various skills I was thinking, "Wow they could have saved alot of time by just saying roll an 8 for all avg difficulty tasks. 68A makes perfect sense and was pretty much what I was considering.

I would also like pretty much every task to have the option of getting a DM due to high abilities. Say a pilot-1 is making a dangerous maneuver. Seems like dexterity would be the key ability. So a difficult task requires a throw of 10. If Dex is => 10 then DM+1 I just rolled a 5 and still fail with +2.

One thing I was looking forward to in traveller is the more abstract nature of the system and the GMs more active role in determining things. I learned RPGs in 2nd ed ad&&d and I always explained that a single roll of a die didn't represent a single blow, but instead represented several seconds of combat, perhaps a feint a parry then a blow.

In regards to the personal combat system, one of the hardest things that I'll have to adjust to is the notion that everything is happening at the same time. I kept trying to figure out how to determine order during combat then I realized, hell it doesn't matter what order you go in, all attacks happen at once and wounds are counted at the end of the combat round.

I'm going to use maps in tactical combat and would like to include a flanking rule because I think that makes for some more dynamic tactical combat. Any advice in that arena?

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 04:34
I'm going to use maps in tactical combat and would like to include a flanking rule because I think that makes for some more dynamic tactical combat. Any advice in that arena?

Simple DM on the to hit roll. +1 for flank, +2 for back shots. (Or +2, +4 if you want to make it deadlier.)

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 05:01
Thanks for those posts, its funny as I was reading all the mechanics for the various skills I was thinking, "Wow they could have saved alot of time by just saying roll an 8 for all avg difficulty tasks. 68A makes perfect sense and was pretty much what I was considering.

Here is what I'm setting up in my Fantasy Grounds for a future CT game. All rolls succeed on 8+. The following DM are applied for difficulty of the task. Also, if a character has a skill that applies, their level in that skill is also added. If they don't have the skill, bump up the level of difficulty by one category.

DIFFICULTY DM
Easy 4
Routine 2
Standard 0
Difficult -2
Challenging -4
Formidable -6
Insane -8
Impossible -10

An example:

Enri is trying to figure out how to get back to camp after having spent some time scouting in the jungle. The GM decides that this is a Difficult test of Navigation (normally it would be Standard, but this is really dense jungle). Enri is lucky, he has Navigation-2. So, the total DM would be 0 (Difficult -2 and Navigation +2). Any throw of 8+ will succeed.

Another:

Enri is later on trying to gain access to a computer system to pull some files. The GM decides that this is a Routine test of Computer (because the system is basically unsecured). Enri has Computer-1. The total DM would be +3 (Routine +2 and Computer +1). Any throw of 5+ would succeed.

And another:

Enri is trying to patch up a buddy that got stabbed in a bar brawl. The GM decides that this is a Standard test of Medical. However, Enri does not have any medical training. So, the total DM would be -2 (Standard becomes Difficult because it's untrained). Any throw of 10+ would succeed.

Vemocleus
July 3rd, 2013, 05:22
For times, if a weekend evening suits everyone better, it works for me with some schedule adjusting. Really, the only nights I won't be able to work around are Mon/Tue.

I'm beginning to see some of the general setting come together, but the specifics are fuzzy, so I guess character concept will have to be rather general at the start.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 06:15
I'm pretty much hard locked in for Wednesdays, so hopefully that still works out as this seems like a very interesting game and setting from what I have read.

A medic might be interesting. Perhaps one who was forced into it by his parents, and is actually rather grossed out by body fluids and the like. Bit of a germophobe. But he keeps up at it, mainly because it's all he knows, and to honor his parents who died in a tragic ice cream-related accident (don't ask). Yeah...

Ice cream accident? Interesting.. Might have to find out about that one.. But a medic that doesn't like blood or fluids? Now that is fun..

Ksathra
July 3rd, 2013, 15:11
I think I remember player travelers back in the day, been looking for a weekday game if you've still got room for players, I've not really read through all the posts. I've been using voice lots lately for games and really would not mind getting back to text only to get some more roleplaying out of the game.

mgholson
July 3rd, 2013, 16:03
IT looks like we have a vote for Wednesday anyone interested who can't make it Wednesday?. Doc_B I think can make it if we start at 8:30 Central?

Vemocleus, I'll be writing something that fleshes out the backstory, but consider this, I think I read somewhere there are 11,000 worlds in the Empire alone. each one of these is a seperate world, many have multiple continents.

The whole Traveller univers is mapped out over www.travellermap.com but I'm not really all that concerned with making sure this game totally gels with Traveller Cannon, my point being you can pretty much make up what you like.

I'll be putting up an entry in game calander and making a external page for the game soon. Could start rolling characters soon, even tonight if I get it ready. Would prefer to get most of the characters made before the first game session if possible but its OK if we do it on the first.

I do ask that all characters be rolled out on the server and not before hand.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 16:09
If it is Wednesday nights, count me in.. There appears to be a Medic and an Engineer so far.. what else are we looking at?

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 16:10
I'll take the steward.

lachancery
July 3rd, 2013, 16:34
I have a concept for the pilot (or maybe the navigator, not sure, I need to read up on the rules). I will buy the books and do that over the next few days.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 18:25
Looks like the majority of character creation is based off the random rolls that you get. I don't know if we would actually be able to call out rolls now that I am reading more into the actual creation of characters.

If anything, I'll play the "Jayne" in the group if all else fails as I haven't played a grunt like character in a long time. (Points to those that get the reference, but it won't be too many as it is a pretty easy one.)

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 18:29
The "Jayne" type is usually the steward.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 18:48
Wow.. went the completely other way on that meaning.. was thinking of a glorified butler.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 19:13
Wow.. went the completely other way on that meaning.. was thinking of a glorified butler.

Why would a ship that has a small crew and rarely carries passengers need a glorified butler?

The steward is actually a pretty good idea. You have the "muscle" but they rarely need to be used. So, either they sit around all the time doing nothing, or you give them something to do. The steward typically handles the paperwork (filing flight plans with the starport, keeping up the manifests, handling the money, payments to starports, pay to the crew), tidying up the crew and public spaces, making dinner for everyone. You know, the little things that get in the way of everyone else's big jobs of running the actual ship. If you have live passengers, the steward helps them out as well (and makes sure they stay out of the crew-only areas).

Then, when you need actual muscle, he already has the keys to the arms locker and the inventory in his head...

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 19:51
So we have the possible pilot, the steward, the medic, and the engineer. How about the ambassador type character. That could be fun.. All the bribery, forgery, streetwise one can handle.. I think I'd take that roll..

Vemocleus
July 3rd, 2013, 20:02
If pilot was taken for sure, that leaves the navigator.

Dr_Babylon
July 3rd, 2013, 20:28
If we have room on the ship (and roster) I thought it would be kind of fun to have both an army dude and a marine guy and let them duke it out over how security should be handled. They'd be the original odd couple! We will be heading to worlds strange and untamed so the extra muscle might not hurt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go compile all the engineering knowledge I have at my disposal...

Done.

(I will discuss with my Wednesday-Thursday group this evening. I'm sure it will work out.)

p.s. Does a little ship like this have a comm officer? For translatin' and scannin' and whatnot?

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 23:24
I've got time this evening if you want to get together to generate characters.

Andraax
July 3rd, 2013, 23:25
p.s. Does a little ship like this have a comm officer? For translatin' and scannin' and whatnot?

Depends on the ship and the mission. Long range scouts would probably have that, most tramp cargo ships would not.

Dan3486
July 3rd, 2013, 23:35
Hey folks, just wanted to drop in and say this game sounds like a ton of fun! I'm in Dr. B's pathfinder game, and won't be able to swing two nights in a row, otherwise I'd be begging to join.

Blahness98
July 3rd, 2013, 23:48
I've got time this evening if you want to get together to generate characters.

Same here. Been doing practice rolls on my own rule set for fun. This is not a forgiving way of creating a character.

Vemocleus
July 3rd, 2013, 23:57
Also available tonight for a creation session, though I haven't looked at the rules for it yet.

PhorgottenSon
July 4th, 2013, 00:03
Same here. Been doing practice rolls on my own rule set for fun. This is not a forgiving way of creating a character.

HAHA, yeah, that is putting it lightly. Classic Traveller is one of the few systems where death during character creation is very much a possibility and in a group of 5 quite likely to strike at least once.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Vemocleus
July 4th, 2013, 00:08
Death during character creation? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of character creation?

PhorgottenSon
July 4th, 2013, 00:32
Not sure if it defeats it, you can make a story around how they died during a 4 year tour in the Military. The character creation really gives your character life, events, and experiences that can add up to a very intriguing back story, even if it happens to include the end of his/her story.
At least you will be in the right part of the book to start rolling another one.

mgholson
July 4th, 2013, 00:39
Breaking down the various careers

Navy: widest range of technical skills but no tactics or leadership

Marines and Army: Very similar skills set, but Marines can get Vac suit, army can get forward observer. Leadership and Tactics available. Army gets free rifle skill, marine gets free cutlass.

Scout: You can see that the scout is designed with self sufficency in mind, wide arrange of skills lots of technical skills. Free pilot for just joining up.

Merchant: Only career that offers steward, gets a mix of lots of skills including the bribery and streetwise skill that otherwise only available in other. No tactics or leadership.

Other: Brawling shows up 3 times, Streetwise 2 times. ONLY class that can get forgery.

Dan3486
July 4th, 2013, 03:10
On speaking further to Dr. B, I would love to play if there's still room and you'll have me.

Dr_Babylon
July 4th, 2013, 03:57
Excellent. Flock to my mighty banner.

(Beginning to suspect I may have to bring my A-game to this thing...)

mgholson
July 4th, 2013, 04:31
Now hiring crew positions for The Good Ship Iphigenia

Apparently the captain of this ship has an interest in ancient Terran history.

Game Forum
https://iphigenia.proboards.com/

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1035

No time for character creation tonight, Friday night perhaps?

Blahness98
July 4th, 2013, 04:48
I will be living at work starting Friday. Depending on how late you all go, I might be able to hop in later in the evening..

Andraax
July 4th, 2013, 13:27
No time for character creation tonight, Friday night perhaps?

Any estimate on time frame?

Andraax
July 5th, 2013, 05:05
Here is a link to my version of the ruleset (https://s3.silent-tower.org/ClassicTraveller.pak).

I've updated the ruleset. A couple minor tweaks, and two bigger items. I added a "/help" command in the chat window (blatantly stolen from another ruleset) and I fixed the code to drag and drop inventory items from a library module (which was just plain broken).

I now have a library module with all of the skills, weapons, and basic inventory items from the 3 LBBs that can be just dragged and dropped onto the character sheets. Included are also all the DMs for the weapons. I need to check into the legality of distributing these publicly before I can post that piece. Even if I can't distribute my module this code fix means that anyone can make their own, if they want.

Now to go setup some sample combats to make sure that all those DMs for the weapons work correctly. ;-)

Andraax
July 5th, 2013, 05:50
OK, the combat part of the ruleset is either very broken or very incomplete. Tired, will work on it some over the next few days...

Dr_Babylon
July 5th, 2013, 06:17
May I say, on behalf of the uninitiated members of this crew, I very much appreciate the extra work you are putting in, Andraax. I will look forward to any guidance you can provide from within this campaign. May your experience save us from the insurmountable shame of a second-session TPK.

Trenloe
July 5th, 2013, 06:49
I now have a library module with all of the skills, weapons, and basic inventory items from the 3 LBBs that can be just dragged and dropped onto the character sheets. Included are also all the DMs for the weapons. I need to check into the legality of distributing these publicly before I can post that piece. Even if I can't distribute my module this code fix means that anyone can make their own, if they want.
Far Future Enterprises (https://www.farfuture.net/main.html) (FFE) the owners of the Classic Traveller rights (and most other Traveller too) have a fairly open Fair Use policy: https://www.farfuture.net/FFEFairUsePolicy2008.pdf

A library module would probably fall under FAQ item number 4 on the second page - basically, you could provide "about a page" worth of information from the rules in the library module. Also, you'd need to include the copyright info mentioned in FAQ item 1.

It is probably worth contacting FFE to see if they will allow you to produce a library module with more than "about a page" worth of info.

Andraax
July 5th, 2013, 12:23
It is probably worth contacting FFE to see if they will allow you to produce a library module with more than "about a page" worth of info.

Yeah, I'm going to send Marc a copy of the files later today once I add the copyright message, to see what he says. I was planning on doing this anyway.

Andraax
July 5th, 2013, 16:48
BTW, I just uploaded another change. Since Classic Traveller uses d6 almost exclusively, I moved all the dice except the d6 over to the right side of the desktop, and moved the "secret" die roll box to the left, next to the modifiers. So, the client sees - under the chat box - only the modifier stack, secret die roll box, and a d6. Thinking about setting up a custom icon that rolls 2d6 also, if anyone thinks that is a good idea?

mgholson
July 5th, 2013, 17:22
I'll have the server up at 10:00 PM Central time for about an hour if anyone has time to roll some characters.

alias is " cowardly roll oily dice "

Andraax your work on the ruleset is much appreciated! Thanks!

Seems like majority of rolls are 2d6 so that would be handy.

Vemocleus
July 5th, 2013, 17:32
I'll be there for sure.

Dan3486
July 5th, 2013, 20:05
If accepted, I could roll tonight (though full character details might still be developing). I'd be happy to fill the navigator role if that's still needed, or a different one if needed (I believe Dr. B mentioned some sort of military specialist).

Andraax
July 5th, 2013, 20:06
I'm planning on being there also.

I just uploaded another version of the ruleset. This is an early "fix" for the combat system. While targeting still does not work (when you declare your target, the system should look up the appropriate DMs from your weapon for that target and use them automatically - it does not), I have fixed the DMs window for weapons. If you double click on a DM, it adds that DM along with a description into the modifier stack. Then, when you double click on your weapon in the combat tracker (or on your character sheet) it will use those DMs. As I said, it should happen automatically when you declare your target, but that feature seems to be broken.

So, to make an attack, you should have your weapon window open on the "DMs" tab. Then double click on your range, double click on your target's armor type, double click on any other situation modifiers in the modifier window (partial cover, whatever), then finally double click on your weapon's name on the tracker. This should make your attack roll, and include the modifiers, in the chat window. Modifiers for (high / low) (str / dex) and wounded state *seem* to work (they adjust the displayed "to hit" number) but I have not fully tested those out yet. If you hit, a simple double click on the damage dice listed for your weapon will roll your damage.

I also added an icon shortcut to the combat tracker - for some reason that was only on the GM's display, and the GM had to "force" it open for everyone else. Players should be able to open and close the combat tracker at will.

There's a couple other minor changes, but I forget what they are right now.

Next up is a damage display to the players for the NPCs ("wounded", "unconscious", etc) on the combat tracker for the players. This change will make combat in this ruleset workable, if not elegant. :-) Probably won't get to that until Sunday night at the earliest. Gotta go pack for a work trip...

lachancery
July 5th, 2013, 22:25
I'll likely connect tonight. I've been reading up on the rules (bought 6 books so far!). It looks like I'd want to enlist in the scouts, and indeed be the pilot of our group. If we don't have any navigator, I'd pick up that skill as well.

Blahness98
July 5th, 2013, 22:39
I will be there as well to see how the rolls favor me. Let's hope everyone gets what they want..

Andraax
July 6th, 2013, 03:12
Hey, are we doing text chat only, or are we going to use Teamspeak?

lachancery
July 6th, 2013, 04:08
Hey, are we doing text chat only, or are we going to use Teamspeak?
Text chat only is what I remember reading, I think in the game intro post. (Matt doesn't like voice chat.)

Vemocleus
July 6th, 2013, 06:18
Rolling a character is... interesting. Unfortunately, it also seems to have the tendency to kill the idea of any character concept you were thinking of beforehand in favor of a character which is randomly generated in almost all ways. While I certainly wouldn't mind forming a concept over a character after it was generated, it does make it difficult to throw a group of these randomized characters together and expect them to fill all the ship roles we had listed out. I can only hope our intrepid (and possibly geriatric) crew meshes together well. I'm sure it will be a blast regardless...

Blahness98
July 6th, 2013, 06:23
It could be worse.. Let's see how the crew stacks up once everyone finishes rolling.

lachancery
July 6th, 2013, 07:31
After a few deaths and re-rolls, I've managed to randomly achieve sort of what I was hoping for... Of course, if we were hard core and stick to the first character rolled, it would be, hum, unpredictable.

Dr_Babylon
July 6th, 2013, 14:26
So what did we end up with? Who's what now? Have we become less the heroes of "Space: Above and Beyond" and more the one from "Up"? Does our story of hiring on as the crew of a relatively insignificant ship captained by a comparative lowlife still hold true?

Andraax
July 6th, 2013, 14:37
Arctur Loova is a former merchant Captain who is currently working as a steward. He has maintained himself over the years and is a pretty healthy 40 year old. Over the years he acquired some nice energy weapons and some combat armor, and has spent some time making sure he is a good shot. Even though he currently works as a steward, his many years shipboard have given him experience with piloting, navigation, and even some engineering. He also has a gift of convincing people to do things that are not exactly legal. :-)

Dan3486
July 6th, 2013, 16:38
I eventually wound up with a robust scout who could potentially be our pilot if we needed one. I also rolled a former merchant who was an expert in electronics (not sure how useful he'd be).

PhorgottenSon
July 6th, 2013, 17:35
I was tempted to log in to the server to watch and see how this went. It is certainly different and plans for a character can go out the window fast.

lachancery
July 6th, 2013, 19:50
I only rolled to try to get a good pilot (which I did). I'm not sure what tweaks/custom rules Matt wants to apply, so I'll wait for that before making official introductions.

Fun enough, in the process I once rolled an outstanding doctor (medical-5) who ended up dying at an early age (38 years old). :)

Dr_Babylon
July 7th, 2013, 00:17
I guess I'm asking if anyone ended up a totally kickass engineer / mechanic and I should ease off on that avenue in my wishful thinking. Does this universe still need a Boost Mercury as she was originally intended? In theory I could adapt to the rolls. Lord knows I've never done it before.

I do hope there's a little more...player input allowed during later stages ("Roll Navigation. Oh. Not so good. Lets see...asteroids fall, everyone dies.")

Still jazzed about a sci-fi game, I suppose.

Dan3486
July 7th, 2013, 01:45
I recall seeing a medic, a good navigator (though maybe that was rerolled), so far we have a good pilot and good steward mentioned, so I assume mechanic/engineer is fine. I thought the boss said something about continuing to roll on Sunday night. If anyone has suggestions on what other role we might need, I'm all ears!

Blahness98
July 7th, 2013, 02:52
I rolled a lot of different characters last night.. I think I have pretty much a generalist built up that can do almost anything. Forgot that a character can have a max of 7 terms before being forced to retire and went up to 12 terms trying to get promoted again.. Never got that promotion..

Blahness98
July 7th, 2013, 18:42
Anyone know if we are going to do some rolling tonight?

Dr_Babylon
July 7th, 2013, 19:16
Typically on Sundays, the boss is available 'round about 8:30 Central and later. I do believe I will hop on then, if I can, and try to build something sensible.

Just trying to think of us as a ship full of possibilities. Hope everyone is having a splendid weekend.

mgholson
July 7th, 2013, 21:33
I'll be on around 8:30 Central tonight for a few hours for character rolling.

I would like to work a bit with the combat system as well and see if I have it figured out.

It would also be good to introduce the characters a bit and see what our group is like.

See you then.

Vemocleus
July 7th, 2013, 23:40
Working all night unfortunately...

mgholson
July 13th, 2013, 12:34
We played Wednesday night and it was good, but we were missing 3 players who have signed up on the game calendar.

We need our pilot and Navigator. which is LaChancery and Andraax.

Wouldn't mind having a back up player as well, if anyone else is interested in joining up.

Dr_Babylon
July 14th, 2013, 08:33
Our crew is capable and ever so daring but the galaxy is an awfully big place and we could indeed make use of extra manpower. Catching a ride on the merchant freighter Iphigenia would be easy enough for anyone with the right skillset who happens to be situated on the Imperial colony world and trading hub of Extolay. You will find us ready and willing to negotiate terms.

Current roster includes:

-Captain Nick Brannigan, an independent trader with a flair for classical styles and pretensions of a freebooter lifestyle that his advanced age has yet to scuttle.

-A computer tech and consummate professional calling himself Ghost who serves as second to our captain (and field commander), wearing secrecy like a vacc-suit.

-A former army colonel (by way of special ops) named Dirk Arenthen with a savvy grasp of logistics, a healthy dose of bravado, and a past he'd rather forget.

-An experienced combat surgeon (despite his youth) and sophisticate, one Dr. Tyrrik Granshaw, who treads the lonely path of intellectual self-affirmation.

-And a self-described starship mechanic and manic optimist with the unlikely appellation of Boost Mercury (considered persona non grata by society at large).

Anyone perusing bulletins near the local starport might notice an able pilot is conspicuously absent. Surely there's someone willing to sign on with this disparate bunch to help get us off the ground. An affinity for communications and navigation certainly wouldn't hurt their chances...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

(Not my best post, but I don't think I entirely misrepresented anybody.)

(p.s. Current schedule has us playing every Wednesday at 9:30 Eastern.)