PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

daddystabz
June 18th, 2013, 21:21
Note: I am using the SW features update and it is awesome. Thank you to all that worked on it. You are amazing people.

1) How do I export a character into xml backup copy? I hope I am clicking on the correct button. No label comes up for the button upon hovering over it with my mouse.

2) When you export a character where does it export it to?

Thanks again!

daddystabz
June 20th, 2013, 07:47
Anyone?? I could really use a hand please.

Trenloe
June 20th, 2013, 08:03
With the SWFI 0.713 extension, pressing the down arrow button on the character selection screen should bring up a "Save As" window to allow you to save the FG XMl for the selected character to a location of your choice.

If this does not work, it may be that you are running another extension that is clashing.

In the base SW ruleset or with the SWFI 0.713 extension you can type in the chat window \exportchar <character name> and it will prompt you for the location and filename to save the FG XML.

If <character name> is not specified then all of the PCs will be exported to the selected file.

Ikael
June 20th, 2013, 12:22
These should be the buttons to export and import characters, see the attached image. Notice that only GM can export and import characters!

grapper
June 20th, 2013, 13:58
I had trouble importing using the button on the character screen. If I tried to bring in more than one character they would sometimes overwrite each other. This may have been a version or two ago, I haven't tried it recently.

The line command (/importchar) method worked fine every time, though.

daddystabz
June 21st, 2013, 09:48
When I tried the export button it just changes to a symbol that looks like a paperclip. What does that mean? Also, do you have any suggestion what default program I should use to properly view xml files?

Trenloe
June 21st, 2013, 16:41
When I tried the export button it just changes to a symbol that looks like a paperclip.
Are you running any other extensions? If so, try it in a new campaign with just the SWFI extension enabled to see if that works OK.

What does that mean? Also, do you have any suggestion what default program I should use to properly view xml files?
I use Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ It's free and has good XML (and LUA) highlighting support. You may need to install the XML plugin from Plugins -> Plugin Manager.

daddystabz
June 21st, 2013, 21:29
When I open the files in notepad or Word or anything really it is just a garbled mess.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2013, 22:15
When I open the files in notepad or Word or anything really it is just a garbled mess.
So use Notepad++ - I provided the link in my post above.

Mgrancey
June 22nd, 2013, 09:22
Its an XML file, which is a tag based storage system like HTML.

Notepad++ is great to work with XML in, but if you don't want that, its best to open in a simple document reader or a website/HTML program as well.