PDA

View Full Version : Thursday (20th) Call of Cthulhu

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 16:15
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1028

This is the perfect opportunity for a pick-up game! You need at least a lite license.

We have a Keeper and three players for a Call of Cthulhu one-shot this Thursday. We want more players. Body counts high = safety (but not sanity) in numbers. Follow the link to the calendar to sign up, and be certain to confirm your local time by making sure your forum profile's timezone is correctly set.

Let me just reiterate that these scenarios are one-shots, designed to be completed in one sitting. Perfect for pick-ups and drop-ins. There's no long-term commitment. Show up when you want to, play every week, or every other month. We need Keepers as well as players, so it's a great opportunity to try your hand at running a game if you're campaign-phobic.

To participate Thursday evening you'll need a d20 Modern character, which you can build in a jiffy using the generator at this link:

https://www.pathguy.com/cthulhu.htm

If you are stuck or lost, PM me or post to this thread and we'll get you some help.

No experience is necessary. Newbies are welcome. I'm not revealing any details about the scenario, but to assist me with the hook I do need to know about your character as far in advance as possible.

We'll use Teamspeak. The server address is: fgts.servegame.com

Oh and try to arrive a little early in case we need to iron out character issues.

Cheers. Let's have some horrible fun.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 17:39
What era are we playing (dying) in?

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 17:51
I've quickly thrown an archaeologist together:

He has no particular era restrictive skills - if we're playing in the modern era I'll juggle it a little and add some ranks in computer use.

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 18:16
What era are we playing (dying) in?

2013 America. Probably New England, but possibly the mid-west.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 18:20
More questions (sorry):

How do you want us to enter the characters for the game? Should we enter them in the 3.5e ruleset and export them and attach them here? Or login ahead of time and enter them manually?
I'm assuming you're using the 3.5e ruleset to run this?

If we can get our PCs sorted out before the game there will be more time to play!

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 18:22
I've quickly thrown an archaeologist together:

He has no particular era restrictive skills - if we're playing in the modern era I'll juggle it a little and add some ranks in computer use.

He might be one of those profs who remains computer-illiterate in the modern era.

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 19:38
More questions (sorry):

How do you want us to enter the characters for the game? Should we enter them in the 3.5e ruleset and export them and attach them here? Or login ahead of time and enter them manually?
I'm assuming you're using the 3.5e ruleset to run this?

If we can get our PCs sorted out before the game there will be more time to play!

Questions are good.

I'm using the basic d20 ruleset.

If you create your character ahead of time it will leave more time for playing. You can log in ahead of time and manually enter them or if you would rather export and attach here we can do that too. Whatever is most comfortable for players.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 19:43
I'm using the basic d20 ruleset.
To confirm, this is the "d20 ruleset" available in the "Downloads" page (lower right of the page) and not the "d20_JPG ruleset"?

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 21:01
To confirm, this is the "d20 ruleset" available in the "Downloads" page (lower right of the page) and not the "d20_JPG ruleset"?

I didn't know there was a d20_JPG ruleset, so it can't be that one.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 22:00
I didn't know there was a d20_JPG ruleset, so it can't be that one.
OK, cool. That's quite an old ruleset - manage characters doesn't work and there is no import/export PC function (only manual editing of the campaign db.xml file).

I'd recommend anyone playing this gets online early so you can manually enter your PC.

(P.S. You may want to consider running CoC d20 using the 3.5e ruleset at some point in the future - there are a lot more features and functions that will make running the game easier all round).

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 22:33
OK, cool. That's quite an old ruleset - manage characters doesn't work and there is no import/export PC function (only manual editing of the campaign db.xml file).

I'd recommend anyone playing this gets online early so you can manually enter your PC.

(P.S. You may want to consider running CoC d20 using the 3.5e ruleset at some point in the future - there are a lot more features and functions that will make running the game easier all round).

Yes, I think you are right about that. Happen to know how to move Story entries from one campaign to another?

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 22:45
Yes, I think you are right about that. Happen to know how to move Story entries from one campaign to another?
In general, these should come across if you change the ruleset. Do the following:

Close Fantasy Grounds if it is already open.
In windows explorer go to <FG App Data Directory\campaigns and make a copy of your current CoC d20 campaign. This is a backup just in case the next steps don't work.
In the <campaign name> directory of your campaign there will be a campaign.xml file. Open this in a text editor.
Change the <ruleset>d20</ruleset> entry to <ruleset>3.5E</ruleset> Make sure the "E" in 3.5E is uppercase, it won't work with a lowercase "e".
Save the modified campaign.xml file.
Load up Fantasy Grounds and select the campaign you have just edited - it should now be showing 3.5E as the ruleset. Start this campaign.
Most, if not all, of what you had in your d20 campaign should show up in the 3.5E campaign.

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 23:14
Well that worked.

3.5E ruleset it is.

Thanks, Martin!

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 23:29
Great! Here's Doc ready to be imported. I haven't done anything in terms of an inventory or back story yet.

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2013, 23:59
Honestly, I wouldn't work up a back story beyond where he works--academia (at a university or community college) or privately funded research--until he survives a session. It'd be an awful waste of time to write a history only to have Doc die or go permanently insane.

John_Geeshu
June 19th, 2013, 16:48
We still want more players. Arkham sanitarium has current openings in its padded-cells block.

Trenloe
June 19th, 2013, 17:16
This game is 9pm Central Thursday 20th!

Get on board if you want to...

John_Geeshu
June 19th, 2013, 19:06
We've picked up one more--super. More are always welcome. Only one character so far. I need to know characters ASAP.

Dakadin
June 20th, 2013, 06:55
I'm a newbie to CoC so hopefully this character is ok but please let me know if I need to change anything.

BridgetWilkerson
June 20th, 2013, 07:30
Hi! Sorry i'm getting this to you last minute. I have Molly Sullivan blue collar worker.

John_Geeshu
June 20th, 2013, 15:17
Characters look great, both of you. We're just missing kalmarjan's, but there's still plenty of time for more players to jump in head first.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1028

kalmarjan
June 20th, 2013, 21:29
Here is my character: sorry for the C&P but I can't fiddle with the upload on my phone here:
Greg Carnugan
Male Blue-Collar Worker Offensive-Option

Representing Jason Sandeman

Strength 15 (+2)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 12 (+1)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 8 (-1)
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 220 lb
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red
Skin: Pale
Total Hit Points: 9

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 12 = 10 +2 [dexterity] +0 [defense bonus]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 10
Defense bonus variant rule is in effect.

Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +4 = 3 [base] +1 [constitution]
Reflex save: +4 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity] +2 [lightning reflexes]
Will save: +0 = 0 [base]
Attack (melee): +0 = 2 [base] +2 [strength] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (thrown): +0 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (pistol): +0 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (rifle): +0 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (shotgun): +4 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Attack (sub-machine gun): +0 = 2 [base] +2 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Grapple check: +4 = 2 [base] +2 [strength]

Cthulhu Mythos Knowledge: 0
Maximum Sanity 50
Current Sanity: 50

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
66 lb. or less
67-133 lb.
134-200 lb.
200 lb.
400 lb.
1000 lb.

Languages:

Feats:

Lightning Reflexes
Shotgun Proficiency
Weapon Focus x1 Weapon(s):
Class Skills:

Appraise
Climb
Computer Use
Craft (electronics)
Disable Device
Drive
Gather Information
Knowledge (electronics)
Operate Heavy Machinery
Repair
Search
Spot
Use Rope

Skill Name
Key
Ability
Skill
Modifier
Ability
Modifier
Ranks
Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 4 =
+1
+3
Balance Dex* 3.5 =
+2
+1.5
Bluff Cha -1 =
Climb Str* 5 =
+2
+3
Computer Use Int 5 =
+1
+4
Concentration Con 1 =
+1
Craft (electronics) Int 5 =
+1
+4
Diplomacy Cha -1 =
Disable Device Dex 6 =
+2
+4
Disguise Cha -1 =
Drive Dex* 6 =
+2
+4
Escape Artist Dex* 2 =
+2
Forgery Int 1 =
+1
Gather Information Cha 1 =
+2
Heal Wis 0 =
+0
Hide Dex* 2 =
+2
Innuendo Wis -1 =
Intimidate Cha -1 =
Jump Str* 2 =
+2
Knowledge (electronics) Int 5 =
+1
+4
Knowledge (local) Int 2 =
+1
+1
Listen Wis 0 =
+0
Move Silently Dex* 2 =
+2
Operate Heavy Machinery Dex 3 =
+2
+1
Perform_1 Cha -1 =
Perform_2 Cha -1 =
Perform_3 Cha -1 =
repair Int 5 =
+1
+4
Ride Dex 2 =
+2
Search Int 3 =
+1
+2
Sense Motive Wis 0 =
+0
Spot Wis 2 =
+0
+2
Swim Str** 2 =
+2
Use Rope Dex 5 =
+2
+3
Wilderness Lore Wis 0 =
+0
* = check penalty for wearing armor

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Blue-Collar Worker 6
Level 2: Blue-Collar Worker 1

Greg Carnugan's Equipment:

Shotgun, generic (damage 3d6/2d6/1d6 by range incr., x3, capacity 5, range incr. 50 ft., standard fire)
Greg Carnugan's Spells Known:
More about Greg Carnugan:

&#192; computer engineer, who has a side business repairing computer components. He found (quite by accident) about the occult or the possibility thereof whilst researching his favorite hobby - urban exploring.

John_Geeshu
June 20th, 2013, 21:59
Hey that's fine. Just come early so you can get it all entered in time. Server will be up 30 minutes early.

kalmarjan
June 21st, 2013, 00:47
Sorry guys,

Extensive flooding in southern Alberta has my family evacuating. I have to keep the lines open tonight as I deal with this crisis and need to make sure my family is okay.

II hate to flake our on you, and I want in on the next slot!

Cheers,

John_Geeshu
June 21st, 2013, 01:54
So we definitely have room for more. Drop-in if you'd like to play. We'll be on Teamspeak and the server alias is: dead pirate cold bard.

Dakadin
June 21st, 2013, 08:10
Kalmarjan, I hope you and your family are doing well.

John, thanks for running the game tonight. I had a great time. :D

John_Geeshu
June 21st, 2013, 14:21
You're so welcome. You and the charming, witty Molly are way much fun. The next time Allan sees a patient they might get a fright. Why Dr., half of your nose appears to have been burned off by acid. How horrible!

Trenloe
June 21st, 2013, 17:00
Great game - thanks John, Jeremy and Bridget! :-)

I think Doc may be on the verge of semi-retirement - a bullet from his gun found at the scene of a double homicide and his car seen in the vicinity. Plus disfiguring scars... Or, he'll keep his head low around Arkham county for a while...

Dakadin
June 22nd, 2013, 04:24
You're so welcome. You and the charming, witty Molly are way much fun. The next time Allan sees a patient they might get a fright. Why Dr., half of your nose appears to have been burned off by acid. How horrible!

LOL. I might have to look into the plastic surgery you mentioned so I don't look like the thing that attacked Molly. :p