PDA

View Full Version : How to damage an Ability

Willot
June 18th, 2013, 05:05
Whats the syntax for an effect to damage an ability?

DMG: 6 [CON] doesnts seem to do anything for example?

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 05:15
I assume you're referring to the 3.5e ruleset?

The syntax is shown in the "Label: Modifiers" sidebar in effects: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

You need to apply the damage as a modifier directly to the ability. e.g. STR:-6

Note, this will only cause dice rolls that are related to CON to apply the effect, it will not reduce hit points for example.

Willot
June 18th, 2013, 05:25
AH what was tricking me. Is it isnt placed in the spot for Ability Damage on the character sheet so I thought it wasnt being applied. When in fact thats for the modifier. (Its for BEstow curse btw)

Thx :)

Willot
June 18th, 2013, 05:31
OG wait COn:-6 is applying to mod too I think i Think I have to reduce the Score itself with Bestow Curse.

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 05:42
"CON:-6" is just an effect that will apply a -3 to all CON based rolls. The end result is the same as applying ability damage to the stat on the PC character sheet, you just don't see the effect being applied until you actually roll the dice.

Reducing the ability score directly will essentially have the same result as applying an effect. As noted before, FG will not reduce hit points, it will just reduce the bonus where CON is the related stat (FORT saves and CON rolls to stabilise essentially).

For your example, as Bestow Curse could be removed, it is probably best to apply it as ability damage just so you remember that the PC has been cursed (if we're talking about a PC) and manually reduce the hit points by 3 per level. You could just apply an effect CON:-6 and reduce the hit points manually, but that could be removed from the combat tracker too easily.

Callum
June 18th, 2013, 09:59
Funnily enough, I would put a bestow curse effect in the Combat Tracker in order to make sure I remember it! I feel that changing it on the PC sheet is much more likely to be overlooked. I'd manually alter the HP total, and put a note in the effect reminding me of that.