PDA

View Full Version : FG2 launch time dependent on FG2 server status?

seycyrus
June 16th, 2013, 22:52
Afternoon!

I was spending today viewing tutorial and just mucking around with FG2 in general. This involved opening and closing FG2 a few times, when all of a sudden I noticed that the FG was hanging for a long time during launch. Figuring that maybe I had consumed some resources, I restarted my machine, but still had tremendously long launch times. This was just me opening up the program by myself. I hit the connection test button (run test) and it failed.

I opened up my browser and tried to connect to the website and couldn't connect!

Is launching FG2 dependent on the FG2 server status?

Thoughts?

P.S. I have a full license.

Valarian
June 16th, 2013, 23:34
The last update, or one before, seems to have extended the off-line launch time again. It's probably awaiting a time-out on the license check or something. Affects the refresh time for development as well.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 23:40
It's related to the time taking to update the alias on the FG server - if the server is slow it can take a long time. In testing yesterday it took over 9 minutes in one instance. Some info on how to get around it here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150593&postcount=10

Doswelk
June 17th, 2013, 09:43
I did notice over the weekend (when the FG site was down) that the only way to get FGII to start was to turn off the alias.

I was only coding and updating extensions to work with 3.4 SW ruleset, so it did not matter, but at first it was worrying.

It may well be that if I had left it long enough it would have started (as noted above), but it is a useful thing to know if you are just doing prep work.

damned
June 17th, 2013, 11:36
hopefully the site issues can be solved/resolved soon...

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2013, 19:02
Doug and I have been looking into it, but we haven't pinpointed the issue yet.

For some reason, queries against the DB (patch system, store, forum) are going into long run times, and they pile up until the server stops responding.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
June 18th, 2013, 04:18
Hey folks, I've made a bunch of tuning changes that I hope will solve the problem. There is still more that can be done, but I'm thinking that the biggest offenders have been tackled. Let me know if you see any further issues.

-Doug

Willot
June 18th, 2013, 14:05
With any luck The problem is being caused by too many people wanting to buy FGII and get into VT RPG!!! YAyyyyy

ddavison
June 18th, 2013, 23:30
There is a little bit of that going on for sure. We also had a few non-optimal components in our architecture, though, and it didn't scale well. As I mentioned, the biggest offenders should now be dealt with and we just need to address a few more things so that it doesn't become a problem again if we scale even more.

-Doug