PDA

View Full Version : What is the best size for images?

Rickerdoo
June 16th, 2013, 01:52
I am new to FG and am starting to transfer a PDF adventure. I am having a problem with geting the images the right size. What is the best size?

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 01:59
Firstly - Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds forum.

A lot of this is going to depend on what size screen you and your players use. Also, how detailed you want your maps to be and what size the maps are - for example, you may want to use tokens that are 50x50 pixels in size, so you'll want to have maps that are 50 pixels per 5 feet (or whatever units of measurement you're using) - this can soon make maps quite big and they'll fill your screen. But, you can resize the images on the screen, zoom in and out, etc..

Check out the "Tabletop Interaction" sidebar in the 3.5e user guide this will give you information on how to resize and zoom windows: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/player_basics.xcp Don't worry if you don't use the 3.5e ruleset, a lot of information in this user guide is relevant to all rulesets and FG in general.

Rickerdoo
June 16th, 2013, 02:07
Thanks for the info and the welcome. My friends and I bought 6 licenses last weekend. :) I am using War of the Burning Sky for my first run. Thanks to everyone's video's it is going really good with the text etc. Not hard just time consuming. Only thing I need to figure out is the best size for my Maps.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 02:26
Only thing I need to figure out is the best size for my Maps.
This is purely a matter of choice - go with something that is good for you, but try to keep the actual filesize below 1MB otherwise they may take a while to share to your players. For battlemaps, as mentioned above, the actual resolution (pixels) can be driven by the size of the tokens you use. If you use 50x50 tokens for medium creatures and 100x100 tokens for large creatures, then each square on your battlemap will probably be 50x50 pixels. It doesn't have to be, as you can resize your tokens and lock the scale, but this is usually a good starting point.

If you're extracting maps from a PDF then just go with the size it gets extracted. Also, you may want to look at the video on map resizing - this is in the "Downloads" section (link at the top of this page) and scroll down to the "archived video tutorials".

If you're running War of the Burning Sky there are 4e FG modules already created: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18083

Rickerdoo
June 16th, 2013, 02:51
I was going to run it in 3.5 that is what my modules are, but I may have to switch my players to 4.0. Where do i put in the passwords to unlock them?

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 02:57
Ah right, well the modules are for 4e. You'll need to buy the 4e PDFs to get the passwords - although the first is a free download so you can at least see what the module is like. You are asked for the password when you try to unzip the FG adventure module zip file.

Rickerdoo
June 16th, 2013, 03:10
I have the modules and can easily get the password, when I try to unzip I get an error message. Saying it is invalid. Just wasn't sure were I needed to enter the password. I was planning on running them in 3.5 so I will just do the work.

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 03:23
I have the modules and can easily get the password, when I try to unzip I get an error message. Saying it is invalid. Just wasn't sure were I needed to enter the password.
If you're not being prompted for a password then it sounds like the zip file is invalid. Which file have you downloaded?

Rickerdoo
June 16th, 2013, 03:28
The first one. fg2_wotbs

Trenloe
June 16th, 2013, 03:43
Use the download links in the thread (post #15) only download 5 works on the wotbsadventurepath.com website (as mentioned in the last 2 posts of the FG forum "WOTBS Campaign" thread). Use the info for passwords off the wotbsadventurepath.com site.

Blacky
July 18th, 2013, 17:36
A lot of this is going to depend on what size screen you and your players use.
And on the maximum size (extremely small) of the images&maps windows in FG2. Of course one can scroll or zoom, but it's not always practical.

As for the initial, question, on top of everything else, I would advise after some testing to pick a size and stick to it. I'm not talking about a hard pixels width and height for everything, but having on size for medium-human sized token and sticking to it, having battlemaps in sync with that token size, and so on.

It'll make life easier.