PDA

View Full Version : Small modifications to SW3 ruleset

Michel13
June 7th, 2013, 10:44
Hi folks,

after being absent for quite some time, me and my group would like to do some online rpging again. However, we would like to change some little things in the standard SW3 ruleset.

1) Give characters 5 instead of 3 wounds, but deleted fatigue.
2) Rename "Power Points" into "Blood Points" (yes, it's about vampires!)

I already had a look into the corresponding xml files and changed what seemed appropriate to me. However, saving it back into a .pak file creates some difficulties. Saving into .zip works as normal, but when renaming it into .pak and saving it into the FG2 directory somethings goes wrong, as when starting FG2 the modified ruleset is not listed. What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas or support would be highly appreciated.

Best regards
Michel

Trenloe
June 7th, 2013, 18:13
If you're modifying a ruleset just for you there is not need to save it as a .PAK file, you can just have the modified ruleset as a directory in <FG App Data Directory>\rulesets.

However, if you want to make a .PAK, make sure that when you zip up the whole ruleset you do it from within the ruleset directory - don't zip by selecting just the directory name from outside of the directory otherwise this won't work - I'm guessing that this is your issue as it is quite a common occurrence. To check, open your .zip file you have created and if the first thing you see is just the ruleset name as a single directory then you have zipped the ruleset files from outside of the ruleset directory.

Hope that make sense...

S Ferguson
June 9th, 2013, 20:07
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGPEMUtility.exe is a utility that does most of the grunt-work of what Trenloe was describing above. Basically you Select PAK, EXT, or MOD from the drop down list (the program is technically known as FG PAK, EXT, MOD Utility) select a folder and it auto-magically eliminates the upper directory. A very handy tool to have if you want to package files in each of these formats. Hope this helps.

Regards,
SF