PDA

View Full Version : Using this on my laptop

daddystabz
June 5th, 2013, 00:57
I normally run all my games from my home desktop computer but I also have a nice laptop that I bring with me to my girlfriend's place when I go to visit her. I would like to have all my home files available on the laptop for FG to run games from my laptop if/when the need would occur.

What folders would I need to copy from my home installation of FG to my laptop installation to do this please? Would this even work? Would I need to copy the entire directory over from my desktop to make this work?

Blahness98
June 5th, 2013, 01:25
You can just grab the entire app data folder fg uses (or whatever folder you happen to be using for you data) and transfer of over. I do that with my dev laptop and my main machine. Just make sure you are copying the most recent file back and forth otherwise you will lose data.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2013, 01:37
Blahness is correct that you need the whole <FG App Data Directory> to be sure. It's a good idea to copy this when you first do your install on the laptop.

After that, if you are just playing there is really nothing you need to copy over - unless you are updating characters in "Manage Characters" in which case you'd need to copy over the <FG App Data Directory>\characters directory (for managing characters directly at the ruleset level) or your last campaign cache file from <FG App Data Directory>\cache (if you'd like to access your character as it was in the campaign you played).

daddystabz
June 5th, 2013, 02:37
So go to App Data/Roaming/FG and just copy the entire FG folder over to the laptop?

Trenloe
June 5th, 2013, 02:43
So go to App Data/Roaming/FG and just copy the entire FG folder over to the laptop?
If that's where the data is, then yes.

You can double-check by opening the "Settings" window in Fantasy Grounds and checking the data folder directory.

daddystabz
June 5th, 2013, 03:36
Thanks guys!