PDA

View Full Version : Demo Game

Rickerdoo
June 4th, 2013, 22:51
Hey Guys and Gals. I am a new to FG. Though I have been gaming for 25 years. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in GMing me in a demo campaign. I would like to get the feel for FG before I jump in and commit money. Yes I know I am cheap, but the wife and kids get all whiny if I don't feed them, so I don't want to just throw money away. :)

Thanks
Rick

Micael78
June 4th, 2013, 22:55
I would be interested in this as well, if someone with an ultimate is willing to give a demo round :)

Doswelk
June 4th, 2013, 23:47
I might be able to rustle up something this weekend (as long as you want to play Savage Worlds rather than dnd/4e/pathfinder/COC/Rolemaster/etc.

I am UK based so it would be most likely am your time (afternoon for me)

Macgreine
June 4th, 2013, 23:48
I would actually like to be able to do this for you, unfortunately the only way I could do that is to purchase an additional liscense for $115 which I cant do. I have requested a couple of "floating" liscenses to introduce new players but they havent responded to my request. Which means they are either unwilling or they havent seen it. Anyway good luck.

John_Geeshu
June 4th, 2013, 23:53
I only have a full license, so I could demo for you one at a time. PM me if you're interested.

Rickerdoo
June 5th, 2013, 00:06
Message sent John, thank you all for your offers. :)

Trenloe
June 5th, 2013, 01:45
I would actually like to be able to do this for you, unfortunately the only way I could do that is to purchase an additional liscense for $115 which I cant do.
If you do it before 11:59 PM EST on June 6th your full will be an ultimate licence (as part of the FG Con and Ultimate for a Week offer from Smiteworks), but after that it will revert to a full.

JohnD
June 5th, 2013, 03:55
Hey Guys and Gals. I am a new to FG. Though I have been gaming for 25 years. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in GMing me in a demo campaign. I would like to get the feel for FG before I jump in and commit money. Yes I know I am cheap, but the wife and kids get all whiny if I don't feed them, so I don't want to just throw money away. :)

Thanks
Rick
Buy a bunch of these and you can go straight to the Ultimate package.

https://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/ramen-noodles.jpg

You may also need to get these for yourself (I find it works wonders).

https://bloodyunderrated.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/earplugs.jpg

Oh... and welcome! :)

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 04:08
Good idea John. Thanks for the advice. I'll run it by the family. :)

But honestly I am still perplexed as to why the financial burden falls to the GM's to introduce new players to the VTT. If someone could enlighten me on the reasoning behind this I will be quiet and go away. Until then I am puzzled and determined to gain understanding.

"Positions soap box on the corner within ear shot of the crowd and hopefully the developer(s)"

JohnD
June 5th, 2013, 04:14
Good idea John. Thanks for the advice. I'll run it by the family. :)

But honestly I am still perplexed as to why the financial burden falls to the GM's to introduce new players to the VTT. If someone could enlighten me on the reasoning behind this I will be quiet and go away. Until then I am puzzled and determined to gain understanding.

"Positions soap box on the corner within ear shot of the crowd and hopefully the developer(s)"
My pictures are entirely tongue in cheek of course.

There must be a better way. I'd say more frequent "temp upgrade to Ultimate" weekends where we can have people running games for those on a demo would help.

What about instead of a "temp upgrade to Ultimate" weekend a "temp upgrade to Lite" weekend was the next step?

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 04:19
My pictures are entirely tongue in cheek of course.

Of course, and it made smile. Thanks

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 04:35
There must be a better way. I'd say more frequent "temp upgrade to Ultimate" weekends where we can have people running games for those on a demo would help.

What about instead of a "temp upgrade to Ultimate" weekend a "temp upgrade to Lite" weekend was the next step?

I like and would support both of these ideas.

Rickerdoo
June 5th, 2013, 04:35
Buy a bunch of these and you can go straight to the Ultimate package.

https://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/ramen-noodles.jpg

You may also need to get these for yourself (I find it works wonders).

https://bloodyunderrated.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/earplugs.jpg

Oh... and welcome! :)

Very nice :)

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 04:49
And just to let everyone know I am not some outspoken slacker, I currently support the community by GM'ing three different, well established and long standing weekly/bi weekly campaigns on FG2.

Trenloe
June 5th, 2013, 04:56
Although the end effect is effectively the same, I think this puts the emphasis on "Hey, players - look what you can do if you buy a lite licence!" so this could be a good commercial slant to essentially the same thing. I'm wondering if the ultimate upgrade has some players thinking - "I need to find more games with an ultimate licence" rather than thinking "I need to buy a lite licence".

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 05:03
Although the end effect is effectively the same, I think this puts the emphasis on "Hey, players - look what you can do if you buy a lite licence!" so this could be a good commercial slant to essentially the same thing. I'm wondering if the ultimate upgrade has some players thinking - "I need to find more games with an ultimate licence" rather than thinking "I need to buy a lite licence".

This makes total sense. Maybe something like a 30 day trial lite license. This would give potential players/customers the chance to see how awesome our community/VTT really is.

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 05:24
The virtual table top itself resembles the most superior, finely crafted, Dwarven stone work ever, While the marketing strategy seems like it was thrown together by a bunch of inebriated chimpanzee's in the dark. IMHO. Hate me if you will. I will get over it.

damned
June 5th, 2013, 05:46
so many differing opinions and thoughts on this topic. they have been hashed and rehashed so many times...

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2013, 05:48
We ran out of banana rum for the chimpanzees, and they're holding out for paid vacation.

JPG

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 05:57
At last my voice has been heard. Good luck with the vacation thing.:)

John_Geeshu
June 5th, 2013, 15:11
I'm wondering if the ultimate upgrade has some players thinking - "I need to find more games with an ultimate licence" rather than thinking "I need to buy a lite licence".

This is largely its effect I think. The Ultimate license is ultimately not the better way to go. As has already been pointed out it doesn't encourage new player investment if you can just shop for the GM who lets you play for free. The Ultimate license ultimately makes it more difficult for those of us with Full licenses to recruit and retain players.

Micael78
June 5th, 2013, 15:13
See, I just feel the need to test the system out before i spend money on it. If however I do like it, then I will buy a Lite version (and upgrade it whenever I can afford it to a full license)

but spending that money on it without knowing that I will even enjoy it? That's something I cant justify economically

damned
June 5th, 2013, 15:32
but spending that money on it without knowing that I will even enjoy it? That's something I cant justify economically

what you say is valid - at least from where you stand.
you can try it out. there is a free demo license that lets you and a friend test it out together - you can play as often as you like with the demo license but it wont save your game once you close it down and it will only allow one player and one gm.
what John and Trenloe say is also true.

John_Geeshu
June 5th, 2013, 15:33
Yes, but you can already trial it using an unlicensed version that allows one connection.

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 16:51
Why are there so many restrictions on giving it go? Are they afraid people will like it and support it?
30 day trial lite licsense would solve the troubles I think.

bennis1980
June 5th, 2013, 18:33
Although the unregistered version allows you to explore all of the functions of FG, there is nothing which sells the program like sitting in on a live game and seeing it in action. That is how I first fell in love with Fantasy Grounds, and she has been a good mistress since.

I remember staying up until 2:30 in the morning to sit in on a game (time zones were pretty harsh on me). With all my tinkering by myself, I didn't really see the full benefit or how everything "worked". But seeing it used by a GM who was comfortable with the software showed me the full potential. I think their are plenty of people who would give up their time to give free advertising for FG, not just left to those with Ultimate licence.

There is still huge advantage to having an Ultimate licence (as John_Geeshu pointed out) and that is it is easier to find a player, but unpaid players can be fickle.

I say Smiteworks should look into the one month trial version (activated on first connection) and if the player wants to continue player, they can start paying.

Macgreine
June 5th, 2013, 20:08
Although the unregistered version allows you to explore all of the functions of FG, there is nothing which sells the program like sitting in on a live game and seeing it in action. That is how I first fell in love with Fantasy Grounds, and she has been a good mistress since.

I remember staying up until 2:30 in the morning to sit in on a game (time zones were pretty harsh on me). With all my tinkering by myself, I didn't really see the full benefit or how everything "worked". But seeing it used by a GM who was comfortable with the software showed me the full potential. I think their are plenty of people who would give up their time to give free advertising for FG, not just left to those with Ultimate licence

Excellent point This is exactly what new players need is to be given a chance to experience the possibilities.

ValarMorghulis
June 6th, 2013, 19:42
Hey, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I am also interested in running a demo campaign of some kind to get a feel for all of this. I have some experience w/ text-based RPGs but never played a full table top RPG, so I think I need to get a feel for it before I just jump into a campaign. I have the full version so anyone that is willing, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Macgreine
June 6th, 2013, 21:27
Hey, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I am also interested in running a demo campaign of some kind to get a feel for all of this. I have some experience w/ text-based RPGs but never played a full table top RPG, so I think I need to get a feel for it before I just jump into a campaign. I have the full version so anyone that is willing, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Are you wanting to get the hang of the functionality better? I would be happy to help with the basic stuff. I know just enough to get in trouble Lol. Send me a pm. I will be on tonight for a bit if you want to connect and go over some stuff.
Mac