PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up on GMing a sci-fi body horror campaign

X4bT0rZ
June 4th, 2013, 06:26
Hey gang,

I previously mentioned that I planned to run a sci-fi body horror campaign. Link enclosed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18436

I've been busy so the project but side tracked, but I wanted to touch base with the community. I am in the midst of writing a handbook and an extension for FG2 for the ruleset we will be using. The ruleset is basically a heavily modified version of SWSE. Some of modifications include:

-You can play whatever character you want. There are no classes. All talents and feats can be taken by anyone at any time provided that some basic prerequisites are met.
-Weapon and armor proficiencies are now trainable skills. Attack rolls are now skill checks. AC, Fort, Ref, and Will are static defenses.
-Anyone can learn or use the equivalent of force powers, provided that the minimum requirements are met. If you've never played SWSE and don't know what a force power is, they're basically like 3.X spells or 4E class encounter powers.
-Combat is lethal. You are not special. If you cannot competently dispatch your enemies, you will die.

The reason for my post is that I want to make sure I have preliminary rules for the kinds of characters people might potentially be interested in playing. I have so far written rules for character creation and leveling, talents, feats, powers, conditions, and equipment. I still have to write starship and mecha content. That said... What am I missing? My current handbook is about 75 pages, but I don't want it to explode into a 300 page monster because I would like to actually get around to GMing a campaign.

I intend to write an introductory module that should be playable within a single 2-hour session. This session is to introduce players to the rules and setting.

If it helps, here is a preliminary attempt to fill out the all-important campaign template:

FG License: Ultimate (yes, anyone can play!)
Game System: Homebrew SWSE/4E
Time Zone: Pacific Time, USA till August, then Central Time, USA; days and times negotiable
Planned Frequency: Biweekly over a long term; adventures are original creations I write into modules (because I am insane and I think you deserve something special)
Text ONLY: FG2 chat box for everything related to official play. We won't be using third-party chat software for in-game play. That said, we will use Skype to run OOC messages, i.e. to tell the group when you are AFK or BRB.
Roleplay & Combat mix: It will vary module to module, but shooting for 1/3 RP, 1/3 Puzzles/Exporation, 1/3 Combat.
Number of Players: 2-6. I prefer fewer for the horror atmosphere, but I would like enough to be able to split up the party.
Character starting level & equipment: As it is basically a new d20 ruleset, we'll start at level 1. Players will select from an array of pre-generated lists of equipment.
Character restrictions: You will use only the content from the homebrew ruleset manual I email you. If there is something you want added to it that it does not contain, I am happy to accommodate as much as possible.

Again, to be completely clear, I am not yet quite ready to run this, but I have included campaign information for community benefit. I am hoping to be ready within, say, 3 weeks. Sooner if there is enough interest and I don't have to write a bunch of new content. I want to make sure that I have covered all the applicable ruleset bases so as to not exclude your character concept (if possible). That said, I am happy to share some campaign information.

Introductory Module: In the first session, the players are mercenary group (of some kind) hired by a shadowy organization to commit an act of corporate espionage---or, more bluntly, piracy. The job is straightforward enough. Get in your ship, jump to a set of coordinates, and lay in wait for the C.T.V. Epimetheus. When it appears, hijack it and steal the cargo. It doesn't matter what happens to the crew. But when you actually embark upon your mission, it becomes evident that not everything is as it seems...

What You Can Expect From Me: I promise to do my very best to deliver an interesting, immersive experience. If I can creep you out, I will; if I cannot, I'll show you a bloody good time. You can also expect originality. I write my monsters, items, feats, powers, talents, modules---everything---from scratch. I like to write dungeons that don't feel like dungeon crawls (though I love a brain-busting puzzle). In a word, I want to give you a cooperative survival horror experience.

What I Will Expect From You: Immersion is a group effort. I will supply the setting and the narrative. I want you to be your very best, artfully-wrought character. As much as possible, I want you to say and do everything in-character. No metagame, obviously; but more than that, you are a character with hopes, dreams, aspirations, and a conscience (though maybe not). Convey who you are through your words and deeds. Remember that the way you play the game affects how everyone else gets to enjoy the game. I'm basically asking you to be considerate. Allow everyone else to revel in the atmosphere.

No Rules Lawyers Allowed: This is a homebrew ruleset, the old rules knowledge doesn't necessarily apply. I am more interested in rewarding good roleplay and good sportsmanship. I will bend some rules for those ends.

Min/Maxers Welcome: I love min-maxing and min-maxers. There is no reason why you cannot both be a good min-maxer and a good roleplayer. If you can contribute to the atmosphere, you can play any character you want and I'll do my best to support you in that endeavor. If you find atmosphere distracting, stay the hell away.

Difficulty Disclaimer: In the interest of providing a survival horror experience (or, at least, what I think survival horror is), the difficulty will not be dialed down. Mistakes won't be forgiven. I will not put you in an unfair position, but the road you traverse is fraught with danger and dire consequences. You might become a gruesome corpse. Your choices may lead to the end of all things.

In terms of popular media, this campaign draws inspiration from... John Carpenter's The Thing, the Dead Space franchise, the SyFy series Fringe, and to a lesser extent the Lovecraftian mythos.

Final Word: If you have a serious interest in participating, send me a private message with your email. I will send you the latest version of the homebrew ruleset so that you can look at it at your leisure. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I will also email regular updates concerning the campaign. If there is enough initial interest, I will email a questionnaire concerning your character's personal history and psychiatric profile to all interested parties.

If you have questions or other concerns, you may of course voice them in the thread.

X4bT0rZ
June 4th, 2013, 10:59
Interested parties can examine the current (albeit unfinished) ruleset document. It is continuously updated, so the link probably won't last too long.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvaW5PZFNhNjNVcnM/edit?usp=sharing

X4bT0rZ
June 6th, 2013, 09:07
Link updated to reflect document revisions.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvbUNiUzFyeHhWQ2s/edit?usp=sharing

Dr_Babylon
July 2nd, 2013, 06:04
So this Space Madness (as I have taken to calling it) project looks like it's pretty close to a trial by fire. Nothing official has been set regarding schedule but X4bT0rZ assures me his system is intended to allow prospective players to build any sort of character one might expect in a distant-future, horrifying-debacle-in-space setting. I am certain he could tell you much more about it as he has been very straightforward with me regarding his intentions.

Ingenuity, organization, and commitment he has. What he lacks right now are players.

If you like Sunshine, Event Horizon, and Dead Space and you feel you could out-think, out-fight, and out-last any gung-ho band of Colonial Marines then why not give it a whirl? Virulent outbreak, corporate skulduggery, explosive decompression, and (of course) even space madness await. Wouldn't you like to swing on a star?

(Anyone remember the movie Outland from like the early 80s? Totally topical...)

X4bT0rZ
July 2nd, 2013, 06:35
I made a post in the 4E forum. (Link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19051)

I have also written up a short summary of the setting timeline. (Link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvM3RVVXh0aU1rNlU/edit?usp=sharing)

I have two people officially signed up. Two maybes. No official date yet, but working as fast as humanly possible. I have to finish polishing some of the homebrew rules, then I can finish writing the first module we'd run.

I'll post a link to the revised rule handbook as soon as its finished.

X4bT0rZ
July 2nd, 2013, 07:18
I should be slightly more forthcoming about the ruleset. Many apologies.

I am trying to write a bunch of character customization content. I'll write an initial amount and then supplement it if any player wants to be able to do something but the ruleset lacks the option or performs the task inadequately. Currently, I have enough content to allow players to play the following archetypes:

-Assassin/infiltrator (think: StarCraft ghost unit or Mass Effect 2 infiltrator class)
-Combat engineer (think: Mass Effect 2 engineer class)
-Combat medic
-Space marine (think: "Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...")
-Psionic/technomancer/technomage

I'm in the process of working stuff out so that effective pilot characters can be played. Since there are no classes, any talent or feat can be taken more or less willy-nilly, allowing you to generate the character you want. You can create a character fitting one of these archetypes, a character that blends two or more of these archetypes, or something clever that I haven't thought of yet simply by taking the relevant talents, feats, and powers.

JonarKhree
July 3rd, 2013, 00:43
I call shotgun on combat engi :-) hehe

Its certainly really looking very interesting. Ill send you a pm with my email as i dont think i did that before so you can any additional stuff or keep me posted outside of FG.

Really looking forward to watching this one take shape.

Dr_Babylon
July 7th, 2013, 23:24
I have every intention of fielding a sort of marine corps pilot character (or approximation based on in-game organizations) with light combat capabilities and a penchant for leading when others lack the nerve. Looking forward to exploring the deeper elements of sci-fi horror and the delightful character interactions sure to take place under such stresses.

Here's to no-win scenarios and the people who survive to repress the unpleasant memories.

phantomwhale
July 8th, 2013, 03:08
I'm a sucker for being "the wizard", so would happily jump on a technomage / psionic character.

Of course, will need to find an Australia (+10 GMT) friendly timeslot for me to get involved; but in theory, I'm in.

Dr_Babylon
July 9th, 2013, 04:33
Here's hoping we will have a schedule suitable for the majority. I think a surplus of players of very different motivations and play-styles will be of great benefit in this endeavor.

And, as the campaign moves along and nerves begin to fray under the extreme duress of our dire situation, I will repress the urge for my pilot to respond to questions regarding our intended destination with "Crazy. Wanna come?"

Sure would be nice to have a decent combat medic or military scientist along. Possibly one fleeing horrendous personal scandal...

*Goes back to prepping character concept's gloomy final recording*

("Final report of the commercial starship Epimetheus, First Lieutenant Alex Molinaro reporting. The other members of the crew are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed...")

X4bT0rZ
July 11th, 2013, 08:34
Still looking for at least one more. Though willing to take several more!

Content update:

"World" map: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvR09fTUVJTmZRaWM/edit?usp=sharing

Updated setting document: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvZHJ6ZWlpbWRKeUU/edit?usp=sharing

Updated ruleset document: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B64wEKFMhKpvUzRSTHRYYkRDekE/edit?usp=sharing