PDA

View Full Version : #4-21: Way of the Kirin - June 21 8:30pm EDT (GMT-4)

lachancery
June 4th, 2013, 04:30
Since the lowest level for this scenarion is 3, I am giving a long lead time for the higher level players to join in. (Also because I will be travelling until then.)

Friday June 21 8:30pm EDT (GMT-4) (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=PFS+4-21%3A+Way+of+the+Kirin&iso=20130622T2030&p1=165&ah=5) (click link to check your local time)
Duration: 4-5 hours
Fantasy Grounds Licence: Ultimate (anyone can play)
Chat type: Voice - Community Teamspeak3 server: fgts.servegame.com
Tier (level): 3-7

On the eastern continent of Tian Xia, the Pathfinder Society remains a small player in the greater political landscape, but Amara Li, head of the Lantern Lodge in the teeming city of Goka, has plans to change that. In order to secure the Pathfinder Society's place as an influential organization on the far side of the world from the Grand Lodge in Absalom, she must orchestrate an alliance with the mysterious Way of the Kirin. But the longtime rival of the Pathfinder Society, the Aspis Consortium, has plans to form an alliance of its own, and if the consortium succeeds, the Pathfinder Society's hopes of cementing their place in the Dragon Empires could be dashed forever.

To join sign up here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1024
AND post your PC's Fantasy Grounds XML and a copy of your last PFS chronicle sheet for this character in this game thread.

Your place is not confirmed until I get this information.

Please use this forum thread if you have questions etc.

Rose Claymore
June 4th, 2013, 04:57
I'm in.

I've entered with my sorcerer who is currently level 6, but will certainly be 7 by the 21st, so I'll wait to upload him.

lachancery
June 4th, 2013, 05:01
I'm in.

I've entered with my sorcerer who is currently level 6, but will certainly be 7 by the 21st, so I'll wait to upload him.

Kitsune? Nice! You got a boon at an event?

Rose Claymore
June 4th, 2013, 05:33
Kinda. It was a via boon trading thread on the paizo boards.

Mgrancey
June 4th, 2013, 06:22
Does playing this trigger leaving the Lantern Lodge or would I be able to accumulate some more Fame and Prestige? I really want to get the Master benefit from Lantern Lodge.

Harbinger
June 4th, 2013, 06:25
I'll join you. I entered in my 3rd level Monk but I'll see if I can get in a game or two before the 21st. my last Chronicle is from your other game, but I'll post it again here as soon as I get the final.

Harbinger
June 4th, 2013, 06:45
I just saw that you signed my sheet, but it will not let me upload it here, says file error, but I downloaded it to my computer and it opens fine. so please use your copy if you don't mind.

Thank you.

Rose Claymore
June 4th, 2013, 06:49
Does playing this trigger leaving the Lantern Lodge or would I be able to accumulate some more Fame and Prestige? I really want to get the Master benefit from Lantern Lodge.
You don't have to change until August. But from what I understand if you have played this prior to changing, you get the boon.

I'm in the same boat in working toward the Master title and need to play another 7-8 to pull my Fame up high enough for it, provided I succeed at most of my faction missions. My tactic is to get this played, while applying GM credit as often as possible until I'm at 40 Fame.

Malkavian_Andi
June 4th, 2013, 11:07
I would love to join, but unfortunately I don't have any time on that day :(

So if anyone plans to run this on another day, that would be great.

kinevon
June 4th, 2013, 11:22
I would like to join, but I don't have a scanner, so I don't have any sort of current copy of the latest Chronicle for any of my tier-appropriate PCs.

Note, also, that I don't have any LL PCs, but I have several PCs in the 3-7 range:
Dominic, Rogue 3
Gorbesh, Sorcerer 4
Mac, Bard (Sound Striker) 4
Crandall, Magus (Kensai, Bladebound) 5
Bruno, Fighter (Lore Warden) 7

Let me know which one is most appropriate or needed, and I will happily upload the XML for the PC.

Marty, kinevon on the Paizo forums

lachancery
June 4th, 2013, 14:06
I would like to join, but I don't have a scanner, so I don't have any sort of current copy of the latest Chronicle for any of my tier-appropriate PCs.

Note, also, that I don't have any LL PCs, but I have several PCs in the 3-7 range:

You don't need a Lantern Lodge PC to play in this scenario, although having one in the party will matter for the conclusion (if you're successful, of course).

Would you be able to scan your last chronicle sheet at a store or library before the 21st? If not, let me see with Trenloe (our resident Venture-Lieutenant) to get his advice or see if he's able to look at the reports for your character on the Paizo site.

Harbinger
June 4th, 2013, 14:41

Dominic, Rogue 3
Gorbesh, Sorcerer 4
Mac, Bard (Sound Striker) 4
Crandall, Magus (Kensai, Bladebound) 5
Bruno, Fighter (Lore Warden) 7

Let me know which one is most appropriate or needed, and I will happily upload the XML for the PC.

Marty, kinevon on the Paizo forums
since it is so far off, maybe they could be mailed ?? chronicle sheets I mean.

tahl_liadon
June 4th, 2013, 15:40
please find zipped file of pc (wayang ninja) (https://www.pk1475.org/visitor/rpg/characters/peteng/organized_play/peteng_wayang_NIN4.zip) xml, token and most recent chronicle.

thanks.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2013, 17:31
Can you take a legible photo with a phone/tablet/digital camera? Make sure there is plenty of light and the sheet is flat on a table - and check the photo for readability before you send it.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2013, 17:32
since it is so far off, maybe they could be mailed ?? chronicle sheets I mean.
Just take a digital photo with a phone/tablet/camera - see post #14.

kinevon
June 4th, 2013, 17:53
You don't need a Lantern Lodge PC to play in this scenario, although having one in the party will matter for the conclusion (if you're successful, of course).

Would you be able to scan your last chronicle sheet at a store or library before the 21st? If not, let me see with Trenloe (our resident Venture-Lieutenant) to get his advice or see if he's able to look at the reports for your character on the Paizo site.

Probably not. If it is one of my PCs that I last played online, I could forward a signed copy of the chronicle, but not with any purchases filled out, usually.

I know our local VC can see my PCs' history, and it is (mostly) accurate. I think there are only one or two scenarios missing from the list, and one of those is from 2009, for my 12th level PC, so completely irrelevant to this discussion.

The reason for probably not is that my local library thinks I owe them a significant sum of money, and I don't know of any other store locally that scans things into electronic format.

@Harbinger: On the mailing out, that would depend on which PC I would be using, and I tend to choose whatever PC is in range and appropriate for what the party needs, or seems to need.

Not to mention that, if I choose Bruno, he isn't getting his "last" Chronicle until late night of the 15th or early morning of the 16th, after I run 22: Fingerprints of the Fiend online for the PFSOC. That'll be a GM chronicle, and, last I looked, I had 8 people signed up, so the odds favor actually getting enough players to actually have it go off...

PFS # is 3836
PCs are:
3836-06 Dominic, Rogue 3 (Strength rogue with Gang Up and a fauchard) (Human)
3836-12 Gorbesh, Sorcerer (Elemental: Air bloodline) 4 (lots of cantrips, has wand, will MM) (Human)
3836-15 Mac, Bard (Sound Striker) 4 (Human)
3836-04 Crandall, Magus (Kensai, Bladebound) 5 (scimitar, wand of Magic Missile) (Human)
3836-08 Bruno, Fighter (Lore Warden) 7 (whip wielder, knowledge type) (Human)

I think I will go with Bruno, and I will post his XML file shortly, which will include having added the chronicle for PFS Scenario 22.

kinevon
June 4th, 2013, 17:56
Can you take a legible photo with a phone/tablet/digital camera? Make sure there is plenty of light and the sheet is flat on a table - and check the photo for readability before you send it.
No idea. I know my tablet has a camera in it, but no idea how to use it. And I had a curse attached to my use of any sort of photographic equipment. New camera, film inserted correctly, no lens cover, fingers not in way, steady while taking shot, and most of the pictures were 50%+ black. It was ... frustrating.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2013, 17:59
No idea. I know my tablet has a camera in it, but no idea how to use it. And I had a curse attached to my use of any sort of photographic equipment. New camera, film inserted correctly, no lens cover, fingers not in way, steady while taking shot, and most of the pictures were 50%+ black. It was ... frustrating.
Can you try to use your tablet's camera?

We really need a copy of your last chronicle sheet to be able to process the PFS admin side correctly. Thanks.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2013, 18:04
@Kinevon - I've PM'd you so we can take this offline. Please check your Fantasy Grounds Private Messages. Thanks.

Harbinger
June 4th, 2013, 22:47
Here is my XML and pic.

kaintheseeker
June 5th, 2013, 06:36
Tempted to bring a pregen since my LL guy is still level 1 and I'm commited to doing Cons as a GM/VL.

Rose Claymore
June 5th, 2013, 13:50
Tempted to bring a pregen since my LL guy is still level 1 and I'm commited to doing Cons as a GM/VL.
I'm curious, if you play a pregen and apply credit to a LL character, does that count for receiving the boon in August? I'm asking because I have a level one Shadow Lodge who I'm not sure I'll get to level three in time. If I an just play a pregen that would make things much simpler and I can concentrate on playing Ryo to get his Fame to 40.

kaintheseeker
June 5th, 2013, 16:29
I'm curious, if you play a pregen and apply credit to a LL character, does that count for receiving the boon in August? I'm asking because I have a level one Shadow Lodge who I'm not sure I'll get to level three in time. If I an just play a pregen that would make things much simpler and I can concentrate on playing Ryo to get his Fame to 40.

Yeah, it is legal. I've seen it on the boards.. I KNOW it's on one side of the boards.. but I can't post those..and I'm fairly certain it's posted in the general threads as well.

kinevon
June 19th, 2013, 13:05
Yeah, it is legal. I've seen it on the boards.. I KNOW it's on one side of the boards.. but I can't post those..and I'm fairly certain it's posted in the general threads as well.
Must have changed their minds. Last I saw, according to the blog, you can only get the LL or SL boon for running an actual LL or SL PC, or GMing the appropriate scenario.

Attached are the latest XML file and an attempt at a picture of my most recent Chronicle for Bruno.

Let me know if the XML file doesn't import correctly or anything...

Marty, player of Bruno, Fighter (Lore Warden) 7

Rose Claymore
June 19th, 2013, 13:51
Yep, they changed their minds (or maybe just proved a rumor false). In any case, my Shadow Lodge character is still level 2, but could easily be level 3 in time so I'll just wait.

As for my LL character and the Way of the Kirin... I'm playing a game this afternoon so I'll be uploading his chronicle and xml soon after. I'm looking forwarding to playing Ryoichi as he's finally picked up Riddywipple (from the Sanos Abduction) as his familiar.

lachancery
June 19th, 2013, 20:22
Game is in two days. Time to confirm your presence by uploading your character XML and last chronicle sheet (if you haven't done so already)!

Trystan Laryssa
June 20th, 2013, 05:21
She's not a Ninja... that's silly. She's a proper Tian-Min woman, in proper attire, and the pins in her hair are absolutely not picks or weapons, thank-you! However, there is nothing wrong with defending yourself when people are causing you trouble on your mission!

Trystan Laryssa
June 20th, 2013, 05:36
Actually, I didn't get you the right file... so use this one.

Rose Claymore
June 20th, 2013, 05:44
An interesting and strangely non-violent run involving kobolds in the sewers, and I present Ryoichi and Riddywipple:

Ryo appears to be a human male of tien descent, though she speaks common with a clear Taldan accent. He is usually smiling, joyful and enjoys the company of others. He prefers to avoid combat, often using his mystical powers to attempt to resolve potentially violent encounters peacefully. When fighting is unavoidable, he still prefers a non-violent approach and spends his time hindering his foes, bolstering his allies and occasionally summoning a celestial leopard. If he feels the need to deal direct damage to an enemy, he'll usually prefer to use his merciful metamagic rod to inflict non-lethal damage.

Riddywipple (who some might remember from the Sanos Abduction) is a copper colored faerie dragon. He is often laughing and usually at someone else's expense as he love practical jokes and pranks of all kinds. Ryo has given Riddywipple a scrollcase with some useful scrolls (daylight, glitterdust) and his old wand of magic missile. In combat Riddywipple prefers to remain invisible, casting sleep and grease against more vulnerable foes, and using the wand against anything more dangerous. If Ryo is ever attacked directly, Riddywipple will attempt to distract the attacker to improve Ryo's defense (aid other action to increase AC).

Rose Claymore
June 20th, 2013, 05:59
Now that I think of it, Ryo makes frequent use of Summon Monster III (favoring a celestial leopard). Would you need a list of other creatures he'd likely summon? I think there's a bestiary built into FG but I have no idea how it handles templates like celestial or if those traits need to be added in manually.

kinevon
June 20th, 2013, 06:13
Well, here is an image you can use for Bruno.

https://www.throwmetheidol.com/art_images/farber/Indiana%20Jones_whip.jpg

Rose Claymore
June 20th, 2013, 06:57
Well, here is an image you can use for Bruno.

https://www.throwmetheidol.com/art_images/farber/Indiana%20Jones_whip.jpg
Nice. :) :)

kinevon
June 20th, 2013, 07:23
Nice. :) :)
Well, he is a Lore Warden fighter who uses a whip.

I managed, at 5th level, to avoid succumbing to my original plan for him, which would have been a level of Gunslinger, and a pistol....

And his name, Bruno, is really just a nickname for a strongarm type...

His AC sucks, of course, since he is Str-based instead of Dex-based, but I already had a Dex-based combat maneuver fighter, and wanted to be able to have a damage option for Bruno.

Upside: Heavy Flail rocks the world, when needed.
Downside: AC sucks, only 3 AoOs.

lachancery
June 20th, 2013, 17:02
A spot has opened up in tomorrow's game. I have received the 5 characters that have joined and confirmed. This is the make-up of the current party:

Monk 3rd level
Ninja 4th level
Ninja 6th level
Fighter (Lore Warden) 7th level
Sorcerer 7th level

The current average level is 5.2; you will need to decide whether you play up (subtier 6-7) or play down (subtier 3-4).

tahl_liadon
June 20th, 2013, 21:15
i'm okay with playing up. (ninja 4th level)

Rose Claymore
June 21st, 2013, 00:36
I'm okay with playing up. Ryoichi fears nothing (provided it fails it's Will save and cannot see invisible creatures).

I also have more than enough prestige to come back from the dead should Cho do something foolish and get him killed.

kinevon
June 21st, 2013, 01:11
Bruno is fine with playing up, but also thinks that we need to wait to hear from Tsui Tsuno, our friend the Monk 3, before we make the final decision.

Rose Claymore
June 21st, 2013, 01:37
Bruno is fine with playing up, but also thinks that we need to wait to hear from Tsui Tsuno, our friend the Monk 3, before we make the final decision.

Agreed. I'm also fine with playing down. My sole interests in playing this scenario are he RP/Plot concerning the Lantern Lodge and earning a few points of PP to I can hopefully earn the Master title before August. A challenging fight and some extra gold would be nice, but it's that important to me.

lachancery
June 21st, 2013, 03:18
An excerpt from the module that will surely create some tension in choosing which subtier to play... :p

"This adventure presents a series of extremely difficult encounters, ..."

kinevon
June 21st, 2013, 03:36
An excerpt from the module that will surely create some tension in choosing which subtier to play... :p

"This adventure presents a series of extremely difficult encounters, ..."
Let's see. I just realized that Bruno is not the PC I want to play this scenario with, he doesn't have the right scenario history. (There a spoiler tag on this board?)

And my PCs with the right scenario and result of that scenario are not high enough level yet, which is one of the reasons I am running Feast of Ravenmoor for the local PFS people before next month's Game Day...

None of them are LL, so that boon isn't a big deal, but I am not sure playing a pregen for credit at 4th level for a PC too low tier can still receive the other boon result...

Add in that I find I have a medical appointment that might make me late getting back, and I think I need to withdraw from the game. My apologies for tghe late notice.
Marty, player of Bruno...

lachancery
June 21st, 2013, 03:57
No worries Kinevon; hope I didn't scare you away. :p

@ Others: That makes your average party level of 5, with 4 characters. I would recommend playing down subtier 3-4, unless we get two more players to join by tomorrow night.

Rose Claymore
June 21st, 2013, 04:06
Nooooooo! I think I know what scenario you are talking about kinevon, and fortunately Ryo has played it. I don't think there is any kind of [spoiler] code, but if it is the scenario I think you are talking about it's this one (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8jos?Pathfinder-Society-Scenario-Intro-2-First-Steps-Part-II-To-Delve-the-Dungeon-Deep).

Unless we get two more level 6+ my vote will be for playing down to the subtier 3-4.

lachancery
June 21st, 2013, 04:11
Just to be clear, this scenario has faction missions for every faction. A player does not have to be playing with a Lantern Lodge character.

Harbinger
June 21st, 2013, 04:28
I would like to play down to 3-4, but since I'm the level 3 monk my opinion is biased.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2013, 04:34
None of them are LL, so that boon isn't a big deal, but I am not sure playing a pregen for credit at 4th level for a PC too low tier can still receive the other boon result....
Some clarification on the use of pregens (i.e. you can't use them to get the boon) here: https://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5leuz?When-a-Faction-Turns-Out-the-Lights

kinevon
June 21st, 2013, 04:57
@lachancery: No, you didn't scare me away, it is just the issues of a 3:30 pm appointment to pick up(?) a device needed to do a sleep study, and the issues of getting home frmo there by bus. If I can get the device, and get to the bus stop in 13 minutes, I woul dbe able to get back in time. Maybe. If the buses are running on time, and the connection between routes doesn't get me.

@Dust Raven: Yes, that is the scenario, but the only ones of my PCs who actually acquired the boon are still only level 2.

@Trenloe: I know, I have read that, I might even have posted in that thread. Actually, I think I did because of that decision, and the difference between "are" and "assumed to be" and how that can affect someone using a pregen for a PC who is not Grand Lodge.

It is only one of several things in PF or PFS that I feel are counter-intuitive, with Negative Energy Affinity leading the list, and the main reason why my Dhampir is still in Limbo for his 2nd level rebuild from Undead Lord.

And, overall, the other boon is sort of conditional, and I don't see how playing a pregen can fulfill those conditions.

Besides, I am signed up to play this scenario locally after PaizoCon, and should have one of the relevant PCs to 3rd level or higher by then, which will bypass the whole potential debate.

So, after some debate with myself, I decided to withdraw from the game, instead of putting myself under more stress.

Have fun, and don't get your PCs killed.

Harbinger
June 21st, 2013, 14:22
Here is an updated Character XML file with supporting chronicles to show what items where bought. I found that when last leveling my character I had accidently left off two items, so Added them back onto my character and resubmit my XML. The Items left of were my Daredevil slippers and Masterwork thieves tools. Sorry for they last minute update. Thanks

Trenloe
June 21st, 2013, 18:27
Here is my last chronicle and FG XML for Rosco.

Rose Claymore
June 22nd, 2013, 00:25
Welcome to the party, Trenloe! Looks like we finally have a healer. :D

lachancery
June 22nd, 2013, 00:49
Welcome to the party, Trenloe! Looks like we finally have a healer. :D
A ranger with a wand of CLW is your healer? Oh dear...

Rose Claymore
June 22nd, 2013, 01:20
I might consider purchasing a few potions of cmw or perhaps a wand of my own before we start... Unfortunately I already purchased my limit one wand of clw with 10 charges (and emptied it long ago).

Rose Claymore
June 22nd, 2013, 07:27
Great game! Nothing like haste and a celestial leopard to make a quick end to a nasty fight.

And thank you all for not listening to me at all when I said you were overreacting by barricading everything. Ryo is not at all versed in the arts of war or soldiering.

Now what item to buy with a nice discount...?

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2013, 07:28
Thanks a lot for the game lachancery and everyone.

Rosco's purchases for the chronicle sheet are:

Potion cure mod: 300gp
Courtier's outfit: 30gp

(from a previous adventure I forgot to put on a previous sheet, please put on this one):
Scroll endure elements: 25gp
Snowshoes: 5gp
Cold weather gear: 8gp
Climbers kit: 80gp

Thanks again! :-)

Rose Claymore
June 22nd, 2013, 08:50
Oh yeah... purchases. I left a note but turns out all I bought was a courtier outfit and 50 gp of jewelry.

Harbinger
June 22nd, 2013, 14:11
We forgot day Job rolls. Here is my purchases: Courtier Outfit 30gp, Jews 50 gp, cure light wounds potion 50 gp.

Thank you again for hosting a great game !

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2013, 15:17
Yeah, we did forget day job rolls. Yves - please just roll Rosco's Profession Trapper for him and use that as my day job roll. Thanks.

lachancery
June 23rd, 2013, 17:40
[sigh] I forgot the day job rolls again... If you have a day job skill, please go to the site https://www.dice.evildm.net/index.php to roll your day job. Put my email address "[email protected]" in the field "Email the result to".

I will be making the chronicle sheets tonight or tomorrow. If you haven't done so already, please post in this thread any post-scenario purchases you would like to show on your chronicle sheet.

Rose Claymore
June 24th, 2013, 08:42
No day job for me... I've been thinking of picking up a caravan and using Diplomacy, but since it's not really in-character I haven't done it yet. Maybe after I change factions (if I end up going with Qadira).

lachancery
June 26th, 2013, 04:35
Signed chronicle sheets have been posted to my dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57hak3kfumgd0tz/cIRnIpZCQ_/PFS4-21).

Please review it for accuracy.

Thanks for the game, and looking forward to the next!

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 04:42
Signed chronicle sheets have been posted to my dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57hak3kfumgd0tz/cIRnIpZCQ_/PFS4-21).
Getting a "can't find the page you're looking for" error with this link. :(

lachancery
June 26th, 2013, 04:43
Getting a "can't find the page you're looking for" error with this link. :(
Fixed I think. Could you try it again please?

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 05:14
Fixed I think. Could you try it again please?
That works, and the chronicle for Rosco looks good.

Thanks very much!

Rose Claymore
June 26th, 2013, 05:37
Excellent! TYVM!

Harbinger
June 26th, 2013, 14:37
Lachancery,

I think, I confused you with the my old Chronicle sheets that I posted just to show why I was correcting my character xml. The original Chronicle sheet was my #6 from you recent game call "PFS4-19 Night March of Kalkamedes". Then I post a revision to my XML with 2 supporting older chronicles just to support my reason for revision. Sorry for the confusion I thought you understood why I posted the older chronicles. I can email my chronicle that is right one to use, and you'll see what I mean. The game I played before the "Way of Kirin" was your game called "PFS4-19 Night march of Kalkamedes", as I stated before this pdf for some reason does not like to post (error says invalid file type, even thou it is a pdf and opens fine), so I'll email it to you, but you also should have a copy already since you were the GM of the game.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks again for a great game,
Tsui Tsuno /Harbinger

lachancery
June 27th, 2013, 04:14
Oops, sorry about using the wrong chronicle sheet, Harbinger. I've updated the chronicle sheet on the dropbox.

Harbinger
June 27th, 2013, 06:20
Oops, sorry about using the wrong chronicle sheet, Harbinger. I've updated the chronicle sheet on the dropbox.
Thank you, it looks good.