PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu one-shots?

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2013, 16:16
There was definitely interest in Call of Cthulhu at this weekend's Con, particularly there seemed to be interest in one-shots over a lengthy campaign-level commitment.

So, if you would be interested in Call of Cthulhu investigations that:

* Can be wrapped up in 3-5 hours, and
* Allow you to carry your surviving investigators into the next investigation, and
* Don't require commitment to a longterm campaign or to every session, and
* Allow for more than one Keeper to host for the group, then

post here and we'll get something started. :D

Skellan
June 3rd, 2013, 16:24
I am up for this. Do you use D20 system? I have never played Cthulhu using D20.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2013, 16:32
I'd be interested in some CoC - depending on times, etc..

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2013, 16:54
Skellan,

I prefer d20, but we would use whatever was most popular or possibly both systems. I can run either d20 or BRP.

Skellan
June 3rd, 2013, 17:07
I would quite like to use D20 actually as I would like to see how it plays with it :)

Isembard
June 3rd, 2013, 17:47
I'd be interested in this as a player and a Keeper. Only stumbling block for me would probably be what time games would take place.

Dakadin
June 3rd, 2013, 18:02
I would be interested in playing if I can work out the times.

Eru the One
June 3rd, 2013, 20:27
I'd be up for BRP or d20 as well.

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2013, 21:28
Well this is most encouraging, I must say. We've got six, which, assuming we have a convergence on day and time, means five investigators at any one time, which is a-plenty.

Here's what I envisage for our group: Sessions are tightly scripted so that an investigation can be completed in one, or perhaps two sessions if players agree, which means that we can play around with the time period, so one week we might be in the 1920s and the next week modern day. Tightly-scripted sessions also mean new investigators can easily be brought in, and a player can have multiple investigators in the bag ready to go into action at the drop of a hat depending on the kinds of skills required for a scenario. Of course, one-shots don't preclude a longer-term plan involving dropping into a scenario clues to a broader mythos conspiracy.

BRP is easily converted to d20, and vice versa, so we can mix up rulesets also.

So if folks are ready, let's talk days and times. I'm open for whatever, but I would prefer Sunday evenings through Thursdays starting at 2300 or 2400 UTC so weekends are more or less free.

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2013, 22:22
My Sunday evenings aren't always free - especially during the summer and I'd struggle to start a game at 23:00 or 24:00 UTC on Sunday evenings.

Wednesday and Thursday are probably the evenings when I'd be free the most - with the odd Monday evening. All work depending, but I usually know ahead of time and once I'd book into play CoC I can control work appointments.

So, in order of preference:

Wednesday
Thursday
Monday
Sunday

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2013, 23:32
I prefer d20, but we would use whatever was most popular or possibly both systems. I can run either d20 or BRP.
Or, 7th Edition?!? :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/call-of-cthulhu-7th-edition

John_Geeshu
June 3rd, 2013, 23:47
Or, 7th Edition?!? :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448333182/call-of-cthulhu-7th-edition

Yep. 7th too. Won't be so different from 6th so I've heard.

phantomwhale
June 4th, 2013, 01:09
I'd be keen to join in. Quite like BRP-style Cthulhu, but the system isn't that important.

Blocker might be times (I'm in Australia, +10 UTC) so suspect close to weekends more likely to work for me. If we can't find a time, no worries, but colour me interested for now.

John_Geeshu
June 4th, 2013, 15:08
So Fridays would probably work best for you, then. I have a brother in Melbourne and one in Nelson, New Zealand, so I am always conscious of the time difference in the South Pacific. There's no reason why we can't mix up days and times to allow more folks to participate. Another advantage of one-shots.

Isembard
June 4th, 2013, 18:09
I'm in the UK so similar boat. One shots are ideal as I can hopefully play when the times suits without to big a commitment.

John_Geeshu
June 5th, 2013, 15:01
Anyone else want to input on the best days and times for play? It is looking like end of the week works best for state-side folks as well as others.

Dakadin
June 6th, 2013, 05:48
I do appreciate how willing you are to run these one shots. I've never played CoC so I am curious how it will all play out.

I don't get home from work until around 6:30pm PDT on weekdays so it might work best on the weekend for me since I wouldn't want to keep everyone up too late.

John_Geeshu
June 6th, 2013, 14:54
Well I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to Keeper every session. I'm sure there are others who enjoy that privileged role. I would rather start later in the evening and run a bit later than game on the weekend. My wife and I like weekends free for traveling. Got to keep the wife happy.

Dakadin
June 6th, 2013, 18:37
Hehe it's definitely a good idea to keep the wife happy. :)

I guess I should have said that I appreciate you getting the ball rolling on doing this. I know my available times makes it difficult so no pressure either way. One bonus is my wife will likely want to play also. :D

Trenloe
June 6th, 2013, 19:29
Well I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to Keeper every session.
I'd be willing to run something every now-and-then.

I'm sure there are others who enjoy that privileged role. I would rather start later in the evening and run a bit later than game on the weekend.
I'm 1 hour behind you I believe John, so I'm happy to play late into your evening... I can usually start any time from 7pm your time. I can start and carry on later if Dakadin is playing...

John_Geeshu
June 7th, 2013, 02:12
Alright folks. I will start posting some day and time offerings for a first session this weekend. We've talked systems, and it seems as if there is no solid objection to d20 so we might start with that and shift to BRP if d20 doesn't suit.

We haven't talked time period. I really like the modern setting because of the convenience of cell phones and the Internet, but the classic 1920s/30s is also available.

If you have any other requests or thoughts just shout them out. Oh, and you might as well start thinking about your character. Obviously if you don't have the core rule book, which is now out of print, you won't have all the finer details available, so I'll get some info put together. the d20 version isn't much different from d20 modern, and the sanity mechanic is the same as in BRP.

Trenloe
June 7th, 2013, 02:32
d20 Cthulhu character generator page here: https://www.pathguy.com/cthulhu.htm

It takes a long time to load, so give it a chance. I'm not sure if this is for modern - I don't know as I don't have the d20 Cthulhu rulebook.

I have very limited availability this weekend - basically Friday or Sunday evening. I'm playing through a Pathfinder Society retirement arc and that takes a lot of time...

John_Geeshu
June 7th, 2013, 02:35
Thanks for the generator link. I will take a look.

I meant this weekend I will suggest some times for a first session. We won't play this weekend. I have to put together some material for the first session.

Skellan
June 8th, 2013, 01:46
Id like to run the occasional delta green.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2013, 02:58
Id like to run the occasional delta green.
Classic! Also ideally suited to one-shots. I was very happy when drivethrurpg.com started doing a print version of the long out-of-print Delta Green book last year.

John_Geeshu
June 8th, 2013, 18:05
The d20 generator has it all so use that, and if you have questions about a particular skill or feat just post it here or PM me. The only feats/skills I am going to preemptively nix are any with "psychic" or "sensitive" in the title.

Before your first session I'll need to know your character's occupation so I can properly tailor the scenario's hook. Unless you say so, your characters will all be assumed to live in or close to a major city I will choose. Characters who live elsewhere will have some kind of reasonable constraint on which sessions they can participate in. But that's what multiple characters are for.

These are the suggested dates and times for the first one-shot. I've numbered them. Please indicate only those sessions you want to attend. If we have enough for more than one session, then we will have more than one session. I am a whore for Cthulhu :pirate:

All times are UTC.

1. June 13 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Call+of+Cthulhu&iso=20130612T21&p1=409

2. June 14 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130613T21&p1=409

3. June 18 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130617T21&p1=409

4. June 20 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130619T21&p1=409

5. June 21 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130620T21&p1=409

6. June 22 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130621T21&p1=409

If none of the above times work for you, post an alternate that does.

phantomwhale
June 9th, 2013, 03:39
All good dates... for future weekends :) All those 2am UTC dates are midday my time - hence the Sat / Sun dates are normally the ones I'll vote for.

But this coming Saturday I already have a game scheduled, and the following weekend I am away for computer camp ! (Well, Railscamp, but same nerdy difference).

So you asked for alternatives if none were any good, so I'll offer:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130628T21&p1=409

E.g. the following Saturday ! Can do 1-4 hours earlier (or even an hour or two later) if required too.

Nothing stopping another game happening earlier without moi though :)

Trenloe
June 11th, 2013, 20:16
The d20 generator has it all so use that, and if you have questions about a particular skill or feat just post it here or PM me. The only feats/skills I am going to preemptively nix are any with "psychic" or "sensitive" in the title.

Before your first session I'll need to know your character's occupation so I can properly tailor the scenario's hook. Unless you say so, your characters will all be assumed to live in or close to a major city I will choose. Characters who live elsewhere will have some kind of reasonable constraint on which sessions they can participate in. But that's what multiple characters are for.

These are the suggested dates and times for the first one-shot. I've numbered them. Please indicate only those sessions you want to attend. If we have enough for more than one session, then we will have more than one session. I am a whore for Cthulhu :pirate:

All times are UTC.

1. June 13 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Call+of+Cthulhu&iso=20130612T21&p1=409

2. June 14 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130613T21&p1=409

3. June 18 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130617T21&p1=409

4. June 20 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130619T21&p1=409

5. June 21 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130620T21&p1=409

6. June 22 at 2:00:00
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130621T21&p1=409

If none of the above times work for you, post an alternate that does.
I can do the 20th, 21st and perhaps the 22nd.

John - might I make a suggestion? Make a campaign entry in the GameCalendar (link at the top of this page) and put these dates in there. Once players are accepted to the campaign they will see the suggested dates/times (modified for their timezone) and they can vote on them. Might makes things a bit easier all round.

John_Geeshu
June 11th, 2013, 21:01
Done.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1028

Trenloe
June 13th, 2013, 17:48
Hi everyone who is interested in these CoC one-shots. there is a GameCalendar entry where people can indicate their availability for timeslots and also suggest other times slots here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1028

People who have expressed an interest in this thread have been invited, but only a handful have accepted that invitation and indicated their availability.

If you're still interested head over and show your availability - if you can't make a session vote "no" don't just leave it hanging...

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Corrected an issue with the link above.

Isembard
June 13th, 2013, 19:31
Apologies for the delay. All proposed times are 2AM or 3AM for me so i will bow out.
Have a great game guys.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2013, 20:13
Apologies for the delay. All proposed times are 2AM or 3AM for me so i will bow out.
Have a great game guys.
Have a look in the game calendar entry - there are some UK friendly times there.

Isembard
June 13th, 2013, 20:59
Have a look in the game calendar entry - there are some UK friendly times there.

Missed those when i checked to be fair so thanks for that. I'll have to check my wifes plans for me! If my kids aren't out the chance of a peaceful afternoons gaming are slim but i will seek to make arrangements.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2013, 21:14
Remember that we're not planning a campaign with fixed players and fixed times here, this is trying to get semi-regular one-shot games going with different GMs and players.

If there is a time that is good for anyone, propose that time/date on the game calendar (use 24 hour clock format in your local time and make sure your timezone in your profile is correct) , mention it here and perhaps a GM and a few other players will pick it up and get a game going.

John_Geeshu
June 17th, 2013, 20:02
This Thursday at 9:30 has three RSVPs. Two more and we could go ahead. I will Keeper, so all we need are some more players. No experience necessary.

Skellan
June 17th, 2013, 20:09
I can't do this thursday. I have updated my votes on the calendar

Trenloe
June 18th, 2013, 03:55
This Thursday at 9:30 has three RSVPs. Two more and we could go ahead. I will Keeper, so all we need are some more players. No experience necessary.
Sounds great - could you post a bit more info, perhaps in a new thread for this game? Then, hopefully, we may get more interest and I'll know what I need to do to get ready! :-)

Trenloe
June 22nd, 2013, 03:32
Looks like we have at least 4 people, for Wednesday 26th 9pm Central.

I could probably get something together in time for that - using the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

Unless you're wanting to run something again John?

John_Geeshu
June 23rd, 2013, 17:02
I'm easy, Martin. I have scenarios ready and I am working on more. If you'd like to run Wednesday, I would love to play. If you'd rather play I am ready to GM.

Trenloe
June 23rd, 2013, 18:01
I'm easy, Martin. I have scenarios ready and I am working on more. If you'd like to run Wednesday, I would love to play. If you'd rather play I am ready to GM.
If you could run again on Tuesday that would be great John. My "FG work-time" over the next few days has other items scheduled and I won't have time to prepare properly.

John_Geeshu
June 29th, 2013, 18:40
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1028

We have wide open spaces for a session this coming week July 2 and 3 at 9 p.m. CDT. Check the calendar for your local time.

July 7 at 10 a.m. CDT has three players signed up, but we could use as few as 2 more and as many as 5 more.

sakmerlin37
July 1st, 2013, 19:27
I signed up for the Wednesday & Tuesday slots, as well as for the weekend. I apologize that I didn't see your invite to the calendar before yesterday (or the day before, I forget). That's an awesome tool to find games.

When I get a little more comfortable, I will start adding games as GM to that list, I hope :D

John_Geeshu
July 3rd, 2013, 17:16

Four signed up for the game this Sunday, starting at 10 a.m. CDT, but we would love to have more. Newbies most certainly welcome.

Umpherous
July 6th, 2013, 03:32
John_Geeshu,

Here is the character I rolled up on the CoC D20 page. I don't have D20 ruleset on my Fantasy Grounds (but I do have standard CoC rules). Hope this is in a usable format. Let me know if I need to do something Different.

Thanks,

Umpherous

Edwin Vermillion, PhD, Professor of Ancient History
Famous Quote "Looks like you brought a knife to a book fight!"

Male Professor Defensive-Option

Representing Umpherous

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 13 (+1)
Constitution 11 (+0)
Intelligence 17 (+3)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 10 (+0)
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 190 lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: White
Skin: Pale
Total Hit Points: 6

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 13 = 10 +1 [dexterity] +2 [defense bonus]

Touch AC: 11
Flat-footed: 10
Defense bonus variant rule is in effect.

Initiative modifier: +1 = +1 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +0 = 0 [base]
Reflex save: +3 = 2 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Will save: +4 = 2 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (melee): -5 = 0 [base] -1 [strength] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (thrown): -3 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (pistol): -3 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (rifle): -3 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (shotgun): -3 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Attack (sub-machine gun): -3 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]
Grapple check: -1 = 0 [base] -1 [strength]

Cthulhu Mythos Knowledge: 0
Maximum Sanity 75
Current Sanity: 75

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
26 lb. or less
27-53 lb.
54-80 lb.
80 lb.
160 lb.
400 lb.

Languages:

Feats:

Dodge
Mobility
Class Skills:

Concentration
Diplomacy
Gather Information
Knowledge (history)
Knowledge (occult)
Knowledge (religion)
Listen
Move Silently
Research
Search
Speak Language
Spot

Skill Name
Key
Ability
Skill
Modifier
Ability
Modifier
Ranks
Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 3.5 =
+3
+0.5
Balance Dex* 1 =
+1
Bluff Cha 0 =
+0
Climb Str* -1 =
Computer Use Int 3 =
+3
Concentration Con 2 =
+0
+2
Diplomacy Cha 4 =
+0
+4
Disguise Cha 0 =
+0
Drive Dex* 1 =
+1
Escape Artist Dex* 1 =
+1
Forgery Int 3 =
+3
Gather Information Cha 4 =
+0
+4
Heal Wis 2.5 =
+2
+0.5
Hide Dex* 2 =
+1
+1
Innuendo Wis 0 =
+0
Intimidate Cha 0 =
+0
Jump Str* -1 =
Knowledge (anthropology) Int 4 =
+3
+1
Knowledge (archeology) Int 4 =
+3
+1
Knowledge (history) Int 7 =
+3
+4
Knowledge (occult) Int 5 =
+3
+2
Knowledge (religion) Int 5 =
+3
+2
Listen Wis 4 =
+2
+2
Move Silently Dex* 3 =
+1
+2
Perform_1 Cha 0 =
+0
Perform_2 Cha 0 =
+0
Perform_3 Cha 0 =
+0
research Int 7 =
+3
+4
Ride Dex 1 =
+1
Search Int 6 =
+3
+3
Sense Motive Wis 3 =
+2
+1
Spot Wis 5 =
+2
+3
Swim Str** -1 =
Use Rope Dex 1 =
+1
Wilderness Lore Wis 2 =
+2
* = check penalty for wearing armor

This character also has 2 ranks in Speak Languages.

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Professor 6

Dr. Edwin Vermillion's Equipment:

Handgun, generic (damage 1d10, crit. x3, capacity 9, range incr. 20 ft., multifire)
Dr. Edwin Vermillion's Spells Known:
More about Dr. Edwin Vermillion:

Tinculin
July 7th, 2013, 12:25
I'll join if there is still a spot? i've signed up on the calendar - i'm fairly new to cthulu, I have played in the setting before though.

Skellan
July 7th, 2013, 13:00
Here's my character. I am not sure he is 100% right, but he's not far off

Skellan
July 7th, 2013, 13:05
ok, it won't let me upload the file here for some reason. I will be able to import him toy your FG server though

John_Geeshu
July 7th, 2013, 14:13
Yeah, I wasn't able to post files to the forums last time I tried either for some reason.

You can also e-mail the XML and I'll make sure it's uploaded and ready to roll.

[email protected]

Tinculin, I PM'd you -- you're welcome to join us but you need to come with a character ready.

John_Geeshu
July 8th, 2013, 16:04
Thank you all for coming and being awesome as investigators and players. Sorry about the *splat* ending -- I take full responsibility. Your critiques were well received -- so thanks -- and I will modify the scenario so that it is even better than before. I think it will be a good one to run at the Con in Nov.

John_Geeshu
July 8th, 2013, 16:20
I've posted an Australia/New Zealand-friendly time for this Saturday for our South Pacific folks who are missing out.

Skellan
July 8th, 2013, 16:52
Thanks for running it John. I am looking forward to the next one.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2013, 19:06
Sorry about the *splat* ending
Did you kill lots of PCs? Again? :-o

John_Geeshu
July 8th, 2013, 19:38
Guilty as charged.

Did you kill lots of PCs? Again? :-o

Trenloe
July 8th, 2013, 19:59
Guilty as charged.
That's good then! :D

John_Geeshu
July 10th, 2013, 00:44

Two signed up for Sunday--they could use some more friends.

Open slot Saturday for folks in Australia and New Zealand.

Check us out -- we're having fun going mad.

phantomwhale
July 10th, 2013, 00:57
Just had my first TPK in ages in a face-to-face game last night. Ah, it felt good. It was a couple of my player's first time; they looked suitably stunned.

Don't want to do it too often, but now and then keeps them on their toes...

Appreciate the Australia friendly weekend times - as always, I'm up for it, and it's totally awful time for the European crowd. There do seem to be 20-or-so people on the Calendar though, so hopefully a few others can make it, and we might even get a game Down Under :)

Umpherous
July 10th, 2013, 04:29
I'll try to connect again (I'll vote on the calendar). I've been tinkering with the port forwarding, but don't know it worked. I did manage to get TS3 working. At the very least, I could listen to the screams of terror.

Two signed up for Sunday--they could use some more friends.

Open slot Saturday for folks in Australia and New Zealand.

Check us out -- we're having fun going mad.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2013, 04:32
I'll try to connect again (I'll vote on the calendar). I've been tinkering with the port forwarding, but don't know it worked. I did manage to get TS3 working. At the very least, I could listen to the screams of terror.
You don't need port forwarding if you are a player - port forwarding is only needed for the GM's network.

Umpherous
July 10th, 2013, 04:41
I've been told that, but I tried to log in last Sunday and couldn't. I kept getting an error. The House of Healing folk said that it might be a problem with the server alias (changing servers is possibly causing the error).

I've lost more sanity trying to figure the FG connection problem out than facing Cthulhoid monsters.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2013, 04:53
I've been told that, but I tried to log in last Sunday and couldn't. I kept getting an error. The House of Healing folk said that it might be a problem with the server alias (changing servers is possibly causing the error).
I saw that post about the alias. Did you try using the IP address of the GM's server to connect as suggested?

Also, some people (John_Geeshu in particular) have found that they can run games as a GM OK, but can't connect as a player - we had to change the connection ports for all players to something that was not being blocked on his end (we used the common web port of port 80). We think this is a problem with his internet service provider (ISP) but they say they are not blocking any ports. John may have some more recent info on this.

Umpherous
July 10th, 2013, 05:01
John's been helping me trouble shoot the problem (He's the GM I tried to connect to). I haven't tried the IP address yet. Hopefully that's the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Or maybe the stars are just not right!

John_Geeshu
July 10th, 2013, 14:35
Martin,

He appears to have the identical problem to me. I just ordered a new system so I'm waiting for that to arrive before I set up a proxy server to route all of my traffic through that will hopefully solve the problem. I will update when I have confirmation it worked.

Would it be very difficult to explain how I change my incoming port so that Umpherous could connect via port 80?

I saw that post about the alias. Did you try using the IP address of
the GM's server to connect as suggested?

Also, some people (John_Geeshu in particular) have found that they can run games as a GM OK, but can't connect as a player - we had to change the connection ports for all players to something that was not being blocked on his end (we used the common web port of port 80). We think this is a problem with his internet service provider (ISP) but they say they are not blocking any ports. John may have some more recent info on this.

Trenloe
July 10th, 2013, 18:16
Would it be very difficult to explain how I change my incoming port so that Umpherous could connect via port 80?
Briefly, if you know how to create a shortcut, make a new shortcut to Fantasy Grounds and add a argument -p80 to the target type.

These are the steps how to do this on a Windows PC:

Go to Windows Start -> Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II. Right-click on the "Fantasy Grounds II" application and select "Send To" -> Desktop (create shortcut).
Go to your PC's desktop and find the newly created shortcut to Fantasy Grounds II. Right-click and select "Properties". Go to the "Shortcut" tab.
In the "Target" section you should have the fill path to FantasyGrounds.exe within quotes. At the end of this line (outside of the quotes) type a <space> and then -p80. The full line for target should be something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p80
Click OK and this shortcut is ready to go. Perhaps rename the shortcut on the desktop to say "Fantasy Grounds II port 80".

All people wanting to join a session will need to do the above - both the GM and players, as this is changing Fantasy Grounds from communicating on port 1802 to port 80. Note: Port 80 is the common web server port. We are using this as no ISP will block communication on this port. The GM will need to add port forwarding to port 80 on their router to allow this to happen - only the GM, not the players. If you are within a network that has a web server on port 80 this may not work for you or you may break your web server!

John_Geeshu
July 10th, 2013, 18:36
Well that's easy.

Done.

Umpherous
July 10th, 2013, 19:37
Yes, doesn't sound too hard. I'd like to try the IP address fix first, if possible. If that doesn't work, then try the shortcut.

I have 20 skill points in computers; and 30 in luck. I think I'll roll on luck first.

John_Geeshu
July 11th, 2013, 19:03
Currently we have 1 in Australia signed up for Saturday's session and 3 for Sunday morning. Both sessions need more to raise survival chances, but Saturday does for sure.

Provided you have at least a lite license this is the perfect opportunity to encounter Call of Cthulhu role playing or get back into it.

John_Geeshu
July 14th, 2013, 18:12
Week nights, if week nights are your thing, are wide open. Post a time on the calendar if you're in the U.S. and you never know who might want to game at that time.

I'm hoping we can establish a regular Sunday game for UK folks. I'm willing to run a Saturday game friendly to Australia and New Zealand players.

Next UK-friendly game is July 21. Check the calendar and sign up.

John_Geeshu
July 17th, 2013, 15:39
Currently there are no takers for the 21st and one for the 28th. If you want to play Call of Cthulhu Sunday please vote "yes" on the Calendar or it won't happen. I need as much advance warning as possible so I can be properly prepared.

John_Geeshu
July 18th, 2013, 19:00
I can't access the calendar presently, so I can't review who's signed up for what. Last time I looked there were two signed up for Sunday. If you plan to attend this coming Sunday, would you mind terribly RSVPing here so I have numbers, in case the Calendar remains inaccessible to me over the next few days.

Umpherous
July 18th, 2013, 20:44
I still plan on it.

John_Geeshu
July 21st, 2013, 23:54
The next scheduled game we hope to pull off is July 28 beginning at 9 a.m. CDT. Please have a character ready to go. Get a hold of me if you need help.

Hope to see a good crowd Sunday.

bennis1980
July 23rd, 2013, 17:35
I will surely be there!

Skellan
July 29th, 2013, 18:11
Is Friday a possibility for you John?

John_Geeshu
July 31st, 2013, 23:25
Yes.

Is Friday a possibility for you John?

John_Geeshu
August 1st, 2013, 15:02
Just one signed up for Sunday. Need two more at least or we won't play this week.

sakmerlin37
August 1st, 2013, 17:57
I know my daughter, and 99% most likely my wife, will be playing this Sunday, John :)

John_Geeshu
August 1st, 2013, 20:32
That's great. As soon as you have character occupations decided on let me know. Thanks.

littleo
August 2nd, 2013, 14:55
Hi. Big COC fan here, and new owner of FGII. I'm still trying to get it set up on my system so I can host games. How does one sign up for a one-shot COC game? Thanks.
Mike D

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2013, 15:02
Hi. Big COC fan here, and new owner of FGII. How does one sign up for a one-shot COC game?
Apply to have access to the game calendar here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1028

Then vote on games that are posted in the top right corner of the calendar. Note: make sure you have your timezone set correctly in your FG Forum profile so that the game times are shown in your correct local time. If enough players vote "yes" for a game slot then it usually runs. Keep an eye on this thread and discussions within the game calendar entry for organisation.

John_Geeshu
August 5th, 2013, 15:57
Wow! 5 investigators engaged the Mythos Sunday and survived! Great session. I was mentally exhausted. More Keepers needed.

Umpherous
August 5th, 2013, 16:50
Wow! 5 investigators engaged the Mythos Sunday and survived! Great session. I was mentally exhausted. More Keepers needed.

Great fun! I don't think anyone fired a weapon and somehow we resisted the urge to rely on arson to thwart the terrible beastie. It was an impressive amount of information to keep track of, John.

I'm working on an adventure. Are you able to connect as a player yet?

-Umph

John_Geeshu
August 5th, 2013, 17:24
I'm working on an adventure. Are you able to connect as a player yet?

-Umph

Actually, I need to trial that and meant to do it Sunday but forgot. As soon as I do I will have an answer.

sakmerlin37
August 6th, 2013, 18:22
I'm getting satellite Internet soon (I hope, if all the measurements are correct) and will be hosting some CoC (either d20 or BRP) and a lot of Savage Worlds. I have an appointment in 3 weeks for the company to come out and see if everything will align just right :).

Sunday morning was fantastic! My wife & daughter had a lot of fun; thank you for your patience getting them setup for the first time. Now that they're both up-to-date and have their characters made, it should go smoother. Going into this they were not sure what to think, but Bennis, George & John were all welcoming & fun, so they're both looking forward to it again. My daughter's fiance would like to jump in too, I bought him the player license, so he could play with us.

bennis1980
August 6th, 2013, 18:48
I must concur, a wonderfully crafted session full of suspense. The parts you ad-libbed were not seamless. My fellow players were great - I loved the argument over what to do with the box - showed we all cared about our fate. I felt true immersion thoughout the session. Man that ending was tense. I love that you cannot truely know if your actions are the correct course.

I would be will to give GMing CoC a go, although systemwise I have no experience so will need the support of a d20 veteren. Though it seems the main work is in having a solid story and lots of details: something which gives me great pleasure preparing.

Give me a few weeks to come up with something.

John_Geeshu
August 7th, 2013, 02:55
I'll be out of town this weekend so i will not be able to host. The 18th will be no problem.

Steve, I think we can accommodate one more, but that would be the limit as things get very cumbersome beyond that.

bennis1980
August 7th, 2013, 09:52
I presume it's a first come first served on the calendar though, and they are one shot adventures so it would be good having a larger pool of active players than are in every game. So I suggest newcomers should sign up to the calendar anyway. What do you think?

John_Geeshu
August 7th, 2013, 14:33
Most definitely.

sakmerlin37
August 8th, 2013, 02:26
I agree, I showed both my wife & daughter how to sign up on the calendar; now, just getting them to do it is going to be the trick :).

S Ferguson
August 9th, 2013, 18:16
That's going to be hard. I've been trying to get my "better half" to sign up for a year now with no luck.

bennis1980
August 9th, 2013, 20:30
My brother in law is the same. Some people just don't get the calendar. Weird!

S Ferguson
August 9th, 2013, 21:46
I think it's the Fungi from Yoggoth that slowly infects their brains.

bennis1980
August 9th, 2013, 21:59
I think it's the Fungi from Yoggoth that slowly infects their brains.

Man, I really gotta raise my Cthulhu Mythos ranks because I slightly recognise the word "Yoggoth", but I wouldn't eat it if it had fungus growth on it (my brother in law would eat any dairy products though)

S Ferguson
August 9th, 2013, 22:19
Man, I really gotta raise my Cthulhu Mythos ranks because I slightly recognise the word "Yoggoth", but I wouldn't eat it if it had fungus growth on it (my brother in law would eat any dairy products though)

Don't risk going mad! they're more commonly known as the Mi-Go. Delta Green was based around their exploits. Think (don't quote me on this) they first appeared in The Dunwich Horror. That's enough insanity for now.... Delve deeper at your own risk.

John_Geeshu
August 16th, 2013, 17:41
Are you ready for a scary good time? Spectators are welcome Sunday, but investigator roles are all taken.

bennis1980
August 16th, 2013, 17:57
I'm not sure I'm ever ready for a scary time. I should have played a blind investigator.

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 18:10
That's all the more reason to avoid those tentacles wrapping around your legs. I think it was spooky enough before....

bennis1980
August 16th, 2013, 18:23
WHAT THE... those are tentacles?!? I thought I was wearing my pyjamas!

S Ferguson
August 16th, 2013, 18:24
The horror spreads....

Skellan
August 17th, 2013, 17:52
typical, this is full and i could have made this week! Have fun though :)

John_Geeshu
August 17th, 2013, 23:55
You've got to be quick on the draw. Sunday's a hot ticket apparently.

damned
October 21st, 2013, 09:46
Hey John and other Investigators!
Anyone able to run a Cthulhu session for FG-Con (https://www.fg-con.com). It doesnt seem right having a Con without some Cthulhu insanity.

Fantasy Grounds Virtual Con 3 is here - plenty of player slots available and just enough time for GMs to add any new games! Follow my signature for more info!

Metzik
December 11th, 2013, 17:00
Hi!
New to FG and I'm interested in CoC one shots if they are still on.

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 01:26
I bought the ruleset recently and may run something in the future

Metzik
December 20th, 2013, 09:17
That'd be very nice! Sadly it doesn't seem to be to much of CoC action going on here right now. Have you had the time to try it out under the latest update, 3.0?

Mortikar
December 20th, 2013, 21:55
I was toying with the idea of doing a CoC: Delta Green set up. I'm not sure I'd have the time to run a campaign, but I do own a few one-shots.

Skellan
December 20th, 2013, 22:51
Delta Green is awesome, I play a tabletop campaign at the mome
nt

S Ferguson
December 21st, 2013, 18:42
Ahhh. Delta Green. Where investigators were actually teamed up according to there skills, as opposed to meeting "by chance." Great one shot material.

Cheers,
SF

Skellan
December 21st, 2013, 19:23
Yeah, it has an x-files feel to it. Its fun. I kind of like 20's cthulhu too

Mortikar
December 21st, 2013, 23:15
Yeah my local gaming group really liked it especially since we live near Roswell, New Mexico so a lot of that stuff hit kind of close to home :)

I'll have to set one up soon. I've been working overtime trying to get the first chapter of Rise of the Runelords ready for my group, but if I get a chance maybe I can dust off the rules and figure out a delta green one-shot if anyone is interested.

Skellan
December 22nd, 2013, 01:44
Id be up for it though I would have to check if i had played the scenario

Metzik
December 28th, 2013, 13:28
I bought the ruleset and thought about gm the four adventures that are included, but I stopped reading because I want to play them first. Anyone interested in doing one or two of them?

VenomousFiligree
December 28th, 2013, 18:44
I'd be interested in 7e.

Mortikar
January 14th, 2014, 20:37
Hey guys, I'm taking an interest check for some Delta Green. However, I won't be using the CoC ruleset. Take a look at the Savage Worlds forum for more info.

damned
April 18th, 2014, 02:22
We dont have any Cthulhu games running at FG Con this time around but there is still time to post one up if any one has the time! There are also plenty of other games with free player slots if you are interested in some one shot gaming over that weekend.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/fg-con-newsletter.png

FG Con 4 is here!

FG Con is back for our 4th event. This time around FG Con will span 100 hours from the evening of Thursday May 8th (AUS/NZ time) to late night Sunday May 11th (US/CA Time).

We’ve got 38 sessions available for registration right now and several more close to being published. Visit the site here: https://www.fg-con.com/events and get started.

Players – now is the time to sign up for your games – but first you need to make sure you have your timezone set in your user profile – see instructions here: https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/FGCon_UserRegistration.pdf All players play free! Of course you still need to have installed a copy of Fantasy Grounds and TeamSpeak but you can still play even with a demo license.

GMs – there is still time to get your game listed – but don’t leave it too late as it will get harder to fill your game. Instructions for GMs here: https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/FGCon_GMGuidelines.pdf All Full Licenses will be bumped to Ultimate licenses for the duration of the Con so you can get those friends involved who haven’t yet committed to a license.

If you need any help – either as a player or a GM please contact the FG Con team by email: [email protected] All feedback is welcome. Suggestions regarding the site, regarding recruitment, regarding emails – whatever – the FG Con team want to hear from you.

Taelock
June 14th, 2014, 23:40
Im in GMT+1