PDA

View Full Version : Connection and Lag Issues with Latest Update

Elof
June 2nd, 2013, 19:57
Since taking the last update (v.2.9.4 ULTIMATE) I have been unable to host my campaign. Just last week using the previous version, I ran my campaign without any problems. I have not made any changes to my firewall or router settings that could have impacted the game.

So players who took the latest update as well as those who had not both experienced problems connecting to my campaign today. They either couldn't connect at all, or lost their connection off and on several times if they did. While connected, it took a very long time to see the character selection screen, and many never saw any characters to pick. One player managed to get in with his character, but had so much lag that they could not do much of anything (he rolled several dice rolls over a period of 15 or more minutes and only 2 showed up).

I loaded up the default campaign (Tale of Dinor) and experienced the same issue. However, I was able to log into another's campaign with seemingly no issues. I power-cycled my router and ran the internal connection tests and all of that seemed normal. My Internet connection speed was also very good. I also uninstalled and reinstalled FG.

The player who was able to get the farthest got several pages worth of error messages from FG, which he cut and pasted in a pdf and I have attached it in the hopes that it will help solve this mystery.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2013, 20:37
From your console.log, it looks like the network diagnostics option was turned on in your Settings. This will greatly increase network lag, as every network packet is now saved to the log file. It will be especially noticeable when hosting. This feature is only useful for specific situations when helping to recreate issues for the developers.

Please turn off the network diagnostics check box in the settings window and try hosting again.

Regards,
JPG

Elof
June 4th, 2013, 02:05
Thanks for that, Moon_Wizard, for it was indeed checked. I did not check it myself, but I do recall seeing the settings window pop up after I updated recently. I did not make any alterations but just hit OK and moved on.

So I unchecked the "enable network diagnostics" box, but I also now see that "enable debug mode" is also checked. Should I uncheck that as well? At the bottom it is bubbled as "Live", I assume that is probably where it should be, right? (Other options are "Test" and "Dev.") Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2013, 08:45
The Debug mode currently only enables additional diagnostic messages for the updater at this point, so it shouldn't affect the main program. I may use it in the future to add additional info in the console.log file. I specifically separated out the network flag, since it had so much overhead.

Regards,
JPG

Elof
June 4th, 2013, 13:37
Did a test connect with a player last night and the fix worked. Thanks again!