PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to host

John_Geeshu
May 31st, 2013, 21:45
I'm unable to connect to a host using an alias or an IP address, but I CAN host successfully. I have turned off my antivirus and all of my firewalls to no avail. Any help would be appreciated so I can participate in the Con this weekend.

sakmerlin37
May 31st, 2013, 22:45
Hello John, this is Steve from the TeamSpeak channel, I'm adding some info that we've tried in case you aren't able to connect:

He was able to connect to the FGII IP address with nmap -p 1802 -sT -Pn <ip address>

He has Windows Firewall and Windows Defender completely turned off, and even disabled the Defender service.

Ping worked to outside sites, i.e. - google.com

Running Windows Vista.

Removed AVG Anti-virus and has put his system in the DMZ on the router. He is able to accept connections as an FGII game master host.

John_Geeshu
June 1st, 2013, 17:17
Still unable to connect to a host. I did successfully connect to my desktop hosting a session on Wi-Fi from my laptop using an unregistered version of FG. But the laptop is unable to connect to any other host.

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2013, 17:52
Strange issue, since FG uses a default client connection scheme for clients to connect to host, just like HTTP or any other protocol client.

Here are some questions to hopefully drill in on what is different in your scenario:

Can you connect to games from your desktop?
Have you tried connecting with your Full license vs an unregistered license on the laptop?
Have you tried connecting from a wired connection?
What specific error message are you receiving when you try to connect?
Have you tried connecting to the external IP, instead of alias?

Regards,
JPG

John_Geeshu
June 1st, 2013, 18:18
Can you connect to games from your desktop?
No.

Have you tried connecting with your Full license vs an unregistered license on the laptop?
Yes.

I can connect to my desktop when it's hosting (Full version) from my laptop (unregistered version) and vice versa.

Have you tried connecting from a wired connection?
Yes. My desktop is wired.

What specific error message are you receiving when you try to connect?
ERROR. Could not connect to host. Check the address and try again.

Have you tried connecting to the external IP, instead of alias?
Yes. Same error message.

John_Geeshu
June 2nd, 2013, 02:34
Trenloe has helped me figure out what is the matter. It appears to be my ISP blocking port 1802 since I was able to connect to Trenloe's host server on port 80. Yay!